PDA

View Full Version : Glock 23 Gen 4

Scuba Steve33
08-20-2012, 8:58 AM
I did some searching on this site and others and found mixed answers, nothing solid. I am interested in a Glock 23 Gen 4 and understand it is on the not approved list. From what I have found so far it appears I cannot legally purchase one from an FFL but private sales of this firearm are ok such as from an LEO? Let's say I know an LEO. Can he purchase the gun with the intent to sell to me after or is that illegal? I haven't found any solid answer to this ridiculousness of CA but I'd appreciate any help. Thanks.

Invisible_Dave
08-20-2012, 9:03 AM
Called a straw purchase and yes, it's illegal.

XDRoX
08-20-2012, 9:09 AM
If he's buys it knowing he's going to sell it he's not being honest. If he buys it for himself and then decides he doesn't want it for any reason then he can sell it.
The reason it's hard to find an answer is because there is really no way to get caught unless you or him blatantly blow the whistle on yourselves. I'm sure what you're proposing happens all the time.

You can also just SSE it from a number of different gun stores.

XDRoX
08-20-2012, 9:17 AM
Called a straw purchase and yes, it's illegal.

I'm not sure if this qualifies as a straw purchase. IMO a straw purchase is somebody buying something for another person that is illegal for the other person to own.

Example:
I buy a handgun for my friend who is a felon and can not legally own a gun.

The difference in this case is the OP can legally own the gun. Therefore I'm not sure if it's legally considered a "straw purchase."

A few months back some cops got busted selling firearms. I believe it was in LA. But they got in trouble for selling the guns with the hi-cap mags that only LE can legally purchase. I believe the offense they faced was selling hi-cap mags but I don't really remember the whole story.

Scuba Steve33
08-20-2012, 1:00 PM
Thanks for the reply guys. Does a straw purchase go into more detail? Would it actually be illegal if I can legally own the handgun? Seems kind of like the hi cap mag issue. Lot of grey areas.

Shapes And Colors
08-20-2012, 3:25 PM
A few months back some cops got busted selling firearms. I believe it was in LA. But they got in trouble for selling the guns with the hi-cap mags that only LE can legally purchase. I believe the offense they faced was selling hi-cap mags but I don't really remember the whole story.

There was a lot more to it than that. The magazines were a side issue. They were nailed by the ATF for dealing firearms without an FFL license and they were turning a big profit. If I remember correctly, the owner of the shop they used to import the firearms was also involved due to the officers bringing in specific off roster guns to sell to him. They called it a straw purchase.

s4alex
08-20-2012, 3:31 PM
Just make it easy on yourself.. and just do an SSE at a gun shop. That's what I did. Picked up my G23 Gen4 a while back. Unless you are getting an screaming deal from your second hand cop mind changer, then yeah.. SSE and be legit.

Paperchasin
08-20-2012, 3:32 PM
Just make it easy on yourself.. and just do an SSE at a gun shop. That's what I did. Picked up my G23 Gen4 a while back. Unless you are getting an screaming deal from your second hand cop mind changer, then yeah.. SSE and be legit.

+2...

Josh.Ollar
08-20-2012, 3:37 PM
If the officer owned it for "X" amount of time it wouldnt even be questioned. I was told by my local yuba county swat team leader not to buy a gen4 it has bugs to be worked out. i just bought a gen3 g23 about a month ago and its a great gun but i wish i would have saved up for a sig

Shapes And Colors
08-20-2012, 3:40 PM
If the officer owned it for "X" amount of time it wouldnt even be questioned. I was told by my local yuba county swat team leader not to buy a gen4 it has bugs to be worked out. i just bought a gen3 g23 about a month ago and its a great gun but i wish i would have saved up for a sig

The gen 4 9mm's had bugs, the .40's haven't had an issue.

Josh.Ollar
08-20-2012, 3:47 PM
Ive been searching the web and getting nowhere What is a SSE?

Shapes And Colors
08-20-2012, 3:55 PM
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=383692

RGERBER
08-20-2012, 4:03 PM
SINGLE SHOT EXCEPTION
I have 2 Gen 4

Scuba Steve33
08-20-2012, 4:38 PM
Thank you all for the replies. I wanted to avoid the SSE (and the ridiculous charge) if possible but I'd rather be safe than sorry.