PDA

View Full Version : Frog lube?

Glockshooter626
08-20-2012, 6:42 AM
Went to the gun show yesterday with a friend of mine (also a calgun member) and we saw this guy had a firearm submerged in water. I told my friend wth??? So we asked the guy and he told us about this thing called frog lube. From what he said its supposed to replace all the oils and lube used on firearms. Anyone ever use this before? Intrested in hearing your thoughts and experiences. Still up in the air about dropping some money to buy some.

Invisible_Dave
08-20-2012, 6:49 AM
I use it and like it on "non-lube critical" guns. AR, Glocks, and my Sig all get it. It seems to work as advertised. I have not used it on my 1911, I'm not sure if I will or not.

JaeFern
08-20-2012, 7:26 AM
It's great. I use it on all my weapons. You won't find any bad reviews.

-Jae from my Photon 4G

KWB977
08-20-2012, 7:28 AM
Have it on my 10/22 and may try it on my 1911, is there a reason why some are hesitant of using it on a 1911?

safewaysecurity
08-20-2012, 7:31 AM
I heard Chris Costa is big on these guys.

Montu
08-20-2012, 7:35 AM
I use it on my 1911 good stuff less messy then oils

JaeFern
08-20-2012, 7:36 AM
I don't see why anyone would have an issue. I use the paste on my TRP.

-Jae from my Photon 4G

BigJ
08-20-2012, 7:38 AM
Seems like the real deal.

And they seriously support our troops. I think they recently sent something like 250k kits for free to our guys and gals to use.

BigJ
08-20-2012, 7:39 AM
Yeah here's the article: http://www.prlog.org/11886857-froglube-donates-250000-units-to-troopsdirect.html

Ibefuz
08-20-2012, 8:31 AM
I was at Santee Discount Gun here in San Diego while a Froglube rep was there. He was asking folks coming out of the range if they had any guns they wanted cleaned. I obliged and gave him my 92fs after I had just shot 400rnds through it. He field stripped it and it cleaned up pretty well. I was impressed, a big factor that sold me was its all natural, no fumes, I live in an apartment and the Hoppes give me a headache when I clean m guns, even with a fan and windows open. he even took a finger full of lube and ate it to prove it, said over the past year he's eaten close to 2 gallons of the stuff, the rep is a CG member here, names "snakeoil" or something like that. If I didn't just buy a brand new bottle of hoppes I would have picked some up. Ill be getting some in the next couple of weeks though.

safewaysecurity
08-20-2012, 9:13 AM
I was at Santee Discount Gun here in San Diego while a Froglube rep was there. He was asking folks coming out of the range if they had any guns they wanted cleaned. I obliged and gave him my 92fs after I had just shot 400rnds through it. He field stripped it and it cleaned up pretty well. I was impressed, a big factor that sold me was its all natural, no fumes, I live in an apartment and the Hoppes give me a headache when I clean m guns, even with a fan and windows open. he even took a finger full of lube and ate it to prove it, said over the past year he's eaten close to 2 gallons of the stuff, the rep is a CG member here, names "snakeoil" or something like that. If I didn't just buy a brand new bottle of hoppes I would have picked some up. Ill be getting some in the next couple of weeks though.

Lol, maybe they should include a nutrition facts label on it. I wonder how many calories it has.

h0use
08-20-2012, 9:28 AM
been using it for a while. good stuff.

sully007
08-20-2012, 9:39 AM
Great stuff, change over for use on all my firearms.

The Gleam
08-20-2012, 10:08 AM
I've heard plenty of good, have never used it. Are there any standard retail stores that sell it? Is it a mail-order or gun-show only? I'm down in Southern CA.

sully007
08-20-2012, 10:09 AM
I've heard pnety of good, have never used it. Are there any standard retail stores that sell it? Is it a mail-order or gun-show only? I'm down in Southern CA.

Google is your friend!

Montu
08-20-2012, 10:10 AM
I've heard pnety of good, have never used it. Are there any standard retail stores that sell it? Is it a mail-order or gun-show only? I'm down in Southern CA.

buy some @ amazon through shop42a.com

The Gleam
08-20-2012, 10:19 AM
Google is your friend!

Considering that Google has started to block search results for firearm related products, NO, Google is not "my friend." In any case, what would "Google" turn up - that it is mail order? Not what I asked.

I noted above I am looking for a retail outlet close to LA that sells it, in stock with the implied question as to "does nayone here know for sure of where, if that is the case" i.e., an actual store, not someone from Maine selling on Ebay.

But hey, you learn something new everyday; I didn't know Google has retail outlets in Los Angeles, now selling firearm related products.

That's wonderful. :rolleyes:

The Gleam
08-20-2012, 10:20 AM
buy some @ amazon through shop42a.com

Thanks, but not really interested in mail-order on this; do you know of a retail store in the LA area that might actually have it in stock? The "Frog Lube" website lists Turners Outdoorsman as a stocking dealer, but any time I've been in a Turners (Pasadena or Norwalk) they didn't have it in the store.

http://www.froglube.com/Dealer_StatePages/CA-S.htm

Ro504
08-20-2012, 10:26 AM
Thanks, but not really interested in mail-order on this; do you know of a retail store in the LA area that might have it in stock?

Try Turners. They seem to always have it in stock

Also here's the link to the dealers in who carry it in So Cal

BigJ
08-20-2012, 10:27 AM
Considering that Google has started to block search results for firearm related products, NO, Google is not "my friend." In any case, what would "Google" turn up - that it is mail order? Not what I asked.Google Shopping has enhanced restrictions, yes. But Google's general search results do not. Given that you don't seem to prefer "mail order" anyway, it would seem indeed Google is still your friend.

Sheldon
08-20-2012, 11:27 AM
Got mine from Botach.... http://www.botachtactical.com/froglube.html $18.80 for the 8 oz. paste tub...shipped to your door. I got the paste, but like the speed of dripping regular gun oil where I need it, so I haven't been using it regular as a result, but it seems to work ok.

SURVIVOR619
08-20-2012, 11:28 AM
I've been using it for well over a year on all my guns and have nothing negative to say about it....

I do, however, still use a spray oil at the range on my AR's BCG if shooting a few hundred rounds. The product does become more viscous when components heat up, but I think it may have contributed to an overheat of my BCG, causing one of my gas rings to tweak out...

Otherwise, use a hairdryer to heat up your parts and help "season" the FL into the parts.

Capybara
08-20-2012, 12:46 PM
Frog Lube seems to work very well for me for the past six months. Have used it on all types of guns, Mosin, ARs, shotgun, all of my handguns. No complaints and wife loves how it doesn't stink up the house.

Fishslayer
08-20-2012, 1:05 PM
The Froglube thread.:D

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=441101

Look up UTV Tactical. he's the Froglube guy. Dunno about Froglube but if I was selling a product, he's my guy. ;)

utvtactical
08-20-2012, 1:25 PM
I've only eaten about 24 ounces of FrogLube. Thanks to everyone who stopped by at Costa Mesa.

Montu
08-20-2012, 1:27 PM
Thanks, but not really interested in mail-order on this; do you know of a retail store in the LA area that might actually have it in stock? The "Frog Lube" website lists Turners Outdoorsman as a stocking dealer, but any time I've been in a Turners (Pasadena or Norwalk) they didn't have it in the store.

Sorry I don't live in your area but I did think turners would have it based on the fl web site.

Still I just wanted to let you know amazon carries it...I don't see how ordering it is more of a hassle then actually driving to a brick and mortar place to pick it up..considering if you order it you can get free shipping and 15 percent goes to cgf...win win?

socal147
08-20-2012, 1:58 PM
Intrested in hearing your thoughts and experiences. Still up in the air about dropping some money to buy some.

Expensive. Amazing claims. Other lubes do just as well at a fraction of the price. Food Grade SFL grease and FMO 350 AW oil for instance.

:beatdeadhorse5:

Steve-O
08-20-2012, 2:38 PM
I have been using it on all my guns for the past 1.5 years and am very happy with it.

The Gleam
08-20-2012, 2:43 PM
Still I just wanted to let you know amazon carries it...I don't see how ordering it is more of a hassle then actually driving to a brick and mortar place to pick it up..considering if you order it you can get free shipping and 15 percent goes to cgf...win win?

OK - THAT PART'S COOL - So maybe I'll reconsider ordering. :thumbsup:

I wanted to see it in person first before buying, as if I like it on the spot, I'll buy a good deal more (have a lot of guns to clean/lube - industiral size would be nice!) :D

Hopalong
08-20-2012, 3:12 PM
Froglube

It's what's for dinner.

CK_32
08-20-2012, 3:17 PM

/thread if costa loves it it must be pure unicorn sauce with rainbow dust. :rolleyes:

SNCaliber
08-20-2012, 3:18 PM
love froglube, easy to use, smells nice, and my AR shot like a champ after using froglube

Manolito
08-20-2012, 4:54 PM
I have been using it for about seven months and it makes the clean up on the second and third cleaning almost efforless. I don't have any complaints. Used on Glock, Sig, Colt, S&W wheel guns, S&W M&P, Rifles many.

Anti-Hero
08-20-2012, 6:33 PM
A sucker and his money is soon parted.

Diabolus
08-20-2012, 7:02 PM
Riflegear has some in stock last time I was there.

sully007
08-20-2012, 7:30 PM

Have you even tried it yet?

Anti-Hero
08-20-2012, 7:34 PM
Have you even tried it yet?

Why would I try something with zero scientific basis for it's effectiveness.

sully007
08-20-2012, 7:48 PM

That answered my question.

Anti-Hero
08-20-2012, 7:52 PM
You must be one of those guys who bought a sham wow, and a slap chop.

Spiggy
08-20-2012, 8:13 PM
I spoke with the inventor before. I'm sad to see that an invention of a navy seal can't be used to kill things.

But as a lubricant and cleaner, the stuff is fantastic. I have a tub of it on my desk at work for when I get bored or need to clean guns.

Anti-Hero
08-20-2012, 8:17 PM
You know what else mimics Frog Lube? Crisco with a little mint extract for the smell.

Looks dry when cold, wet when heated, non-toxic, smells minty. It's even used to season cast iron!

But I'm still confused on it's origins. Was it invented by a "Navy Seal" with no chemistry background, or NASA to lube the tracks for it's launch platform, or was it found in a civil era war cannon? I've heard all three claims. *laughing*

utvtactical
08-20-2012, 9:07 PM
We have found that the only people who don't like FrogLube, never tried FrogLube!

sully007
08-20-2012, 9:59 PM
We have found that the only people who don't like FrogLube, never tried FrogLube!

And anti-hero has not tried it!

Zepplin
08-20-2012, 10:02 PM
Been using FL for about 5-6 months on my M&P and so far so good. Cleaning the pistol has become a lot easier and can be done inside the house without my wife complaining about how the solvent smells. I'll give it a couple more months before I begin using it on my other pistols.

Sent from my SGS2 using Tapatalk.

pc_load_letter
08-20-2012, 10:19 PM
I tried it on my CZ a few months back. DId the whole thing where you heat the gun up, apply, repeat etc etc.

Never ran very well. Who knows, maybe it didnt "penetrate" the steel as well as some other materials. Seemed to burn off after a few hundred rounds.

Since moving to Slide Guide, I've had no problems.

Maddog5150
08-20-2012, 11:26 PM
/thread if costa loves it it must be pure unicorn sauce with rainbow dust. :rolleyes:

It's now like a beautiful majestic waterfall made out of sunsets and uniforn vaginas...

Carbuncle
08-20-2012, 11:53 PM
he even took a finger full of lube and ate it to prove it, said over the past year he's eaten close to 2 gallons of the stuff

Yeesh, non-toxic or not, I'd hate to be that guy's proctologist.

Anti-Hero
08-21-2012, 12:08 AM

Says the guy profiting from it.

sa810
08-21-2012, 1:40 AM
I don't own a sham wow... but I do use Frog Lube.

DISCLAIMER... I live in SF... and am married. Using Frog Lube lets me quietly mix with the hippies and keeps my wife happy as I clean the guns at the kitchen table, without all the usual smells.

glock21fan
08-21-2012, 2:02 AM
I switched about two months ago and really like frog lube.

NiteQwill
08-21-2012, 5:23 AM
Switched over a year ago, best lube I've used so far.

Glockshooter626
08-21-2012, 5:53 AM
Thanks for the input guys. Now I have another question. How do you apply it on the firearm?

sully007
08-21-2012, 6:55 AM
Thanks for the input guys. Now I have another question. How do you apply it on the firearm?

Recommended Weapon Maintenance Instructions

Directions for use:
The following procedure should help you reduce your maintenance time and frequency intervals to insure the full, long-lasting performance of your weapon. You should use standard weapons cleaning tools such as nylon brushes, bore patches and brushes, Q-tips, bore snakes and cloths1. Since FrogLube is 100% biodegradable, you can select a premium grade cloth which you may launder in a washer and dryer. FrogLube recommends laundering separately. When used in accordance with these instructions, FrogLube delivers a slick and slippery finish that shoots dry, wicks to the surface when warmed and dissolves carbon on contact.

PREPARATION
1) Your new weapon is likely factory-treated with a lubricant or protectant of a petro-chemical substance or you may have used a petrochemical or other substances on your weapon.
2) For your first application; for best performance, it is preferred to remove any petro-chemicals from your weapon using FrogLube Super Degreaser ™ or equivalent prior to applying FrogLube.
(If pre-cleaning is not practical or desired, FrogLube will penetrate and eventually dissolve corrosive petrochemical present on the weapon.)
3) Clean ALL surfaces with FrogLube cleaning products - FrogLube cleaners and degreasers do not leave a residue.
NOTE: You should eliminate the use of petrochemical-based cleaners and lubricants of a different chemistry since they negate the affects of a FrogLube-treated weapon.

APPLICATION/TREATMENT

1.) For best results, the metal should be warmed. 15 min of direct sunlight or equivalent, is long enough to allow for thorough warming. When the metal is warmed, the rate of FrogLube absorption is increased.

2.) Treatment: Apply a sufficient amount of paste or liquid to warmed metal and all operating parts. Apply a generous amount to a bore brush and vigorously scrub the bore. Allow time for FrogLube to penetrate. FrogLube penetrates the metal pores of cleaned parts and establishes a foothold on and beneath the metal surface. Wipe off excess with a microfiber cloth. Remember, penetration time is decreased with heat.

3.) For every day use: Visibly inspect your FrogLube treated gun for dirt and corrosion. Operate the action and check for smoothness of operation. Check for a clear and clean bore. Apply a small amount of FrogLube to closely fitted and load bearing surfaces, such as rails, lugs and roller bearings. Wipe off excess and go shoot.

NOTE: For more demanding conditions, such as salt water, humidity or long-term storage, we recommend a light to moderate coat of FrogLube on parts. Product is applied slightly more generously, and you should still see the metal surface through a gloss or thin film of the material.

SUBSEQUENT CLEANING AND RE-APPLICATION

1) Disassemble main weapon parts and wipe clean with a micro-fiber cloth or bore patches. Use a nylon brush if necessary, and use metal brushes with care.
2) Apply liquid cleaner if necessary, and wipe off until parts are clean and dry.
3) Reapply FrogLube as indicated above.
NOTE: All of FrogLube’s products are bio-based, non-hazardous and environmentally friendly. However, for important health and safety information, please refer to the Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) for our products, which are located on the Company’s website and found in the “Pressroom” at http://www.froglube.com/pressroom.htm
For additional product information or application advice, please contact FrogLube Products at 1-855-FROGLUBE or write us directly at mail@froglube.com

FrogLube is a product of:
Audemous, INC
PO Box 60581
San Diego, CA 92166
www.froglube.com

socal147
08-21-2012, 7:03 AM

Not 100% true.

I bought it, used it. It is ok. My dog ate some. She did not get sick or die. (I told you this story)

Cost effective ?

It is not the only product out there that works well. Enough said.

Press Check
08-21-2012, 9:10 AM
I've switched to Frog Lube exclusively.

JeremyKX
08-21-2012, 9:18 AM
You must be one of those guys who bought a sham wow, and a slap chop.

Don't hate on shamwow. Friend got it for me for my birthday as a joke and it actually is really good.

SNEAKS
08-21-2012, 9:29 AM
Ive used it on several firearms I have and it worked fine on everything but my Les Baer 1911. It did not like it at all. Went back to standard CLP for that one and the problems stopped.

-hanko
08-21-2012, 9:59 AM
Follow the money.;)

See above.:rolleyes:

You know what else mimics Frog Lube? Crisco with a little mint extract for the smell.

Looks dry when cold, wet when heated, non-toxic, smells minty. It's even used to season cast iron!

But I'm still confused on it's origins. Was it invented by a "Navy Seal" with no chemistry background, or NASA to lube the tracks for it's launch platform, or was it found in a civil era war cannon? I've heard all three claims. *laughing*
All three versions are correct...looks exactly like Track Lube, which you can google.

Bravo Sierra.

Not 100% true.

I bought it, used it. It is ok. My dog ate some. She did not get sick or die. (I told you this story)

Cost effective ?

It is not the only product out there that works well. Enough said.
Exactly...in a year or so some other magical gun lube with a BS story as to it's origin will again cause everyone to get moist...

Ive used it on several firearms I have and it worked fine on everything but my Les Baer 1911. It did not like it at all. Went back to standard CLP for that one and the problems stopped.
^Thread.

-hanko

Bro KV
08-21-2012, 10:07 AM
I was skeptical at first so I tried it on my Glocks, works.