PDA

View Full Version : Gun owners and non gun owners

LAKings22
08-20-2012, 12:48 AM
In the last 6 months I purchased a Glock 19, AR15 and AK47. I enjoy talking to friends and guys @ work about what I recently got. What can I say, I get happy about it and share it with friends. At first they would get excited and want to come out to the range and shoot. Recently 4-5 of the guys are being more vocal about why they should ban guns. After few times trying to change there minds I decided I'm just wasting my time. In the last month anytime a shooting takes place, I get and email from one of them with a link to the story and "this is why they should ban guns". what would you do? ignore it? try to change there mind? I personally gave up, I don't talk to them about anything gun related or what Im going to buy next. I've also learned not to share anything with "friends" at work, stupid gun related remarks get dropped every now and then. I've had to ask them kindly to stop with the remarks since people around might not feel comfortable with the jokes. It just sucks how we have to be on pins and needles when it comes to sparking up a conversation about anything gun related.

Merc1138
08-20-2012, 12:50 AM
Unless you happen to get along with the management really well, ignore it. If they don't stop, tell them to stop.

TRY
08-20-2012, 12:54 AM
They sound like losers...

Yugo
08-20-2012, 12:55 AM
send them articles that hold guns in a good light or here is an idea when you go to work, how about WORK and keep shootin the sh*t to a minimal.

Colt-45
08-20-2012, 1:06 AM
Never understood how a man could consider himself a man and have an incomprehensible fear of firearms at the same time.

LAKings22
08-20-2012, 1:30 AM
send them articles that hold guns in a good light or here is an idea when you go to work, how about WORK and keep shootin the sh*t to a minimal.

You sound like my supervisor. Unfortunately we get a lot of down time so you get alot of sports talk and other hobby related conversations going on with the guys through out the day. The purpose of my post is how people become sensitive when it comes down to firearm talk and not just with the guys at work but friends outside of work.

LAKings22
08-20-2012, 1:40 AM
Never understood how a man could consider himself a man and have an incomprehensible fear of firearms at the same time.

I honestly think that is exactly what it is. They are simply scared. These are the same guys that wanted to come out to the range. Everytime I
Invited them they either flaked out last minute or made an excuse not to come. Which is totally cool with me. I have a fear of a few things too but I don't hold it against people who enjoy it. Example roller coasters just looking at it makes me weak but you don't see me asking to close down six flags for good.

lilro
08-20-2012, 3:44 AM
In the last 6 months I purchased a Glock 19, AR15 and AK47. I enjoy talking to friends and guys @ work about what I recently got. What can I say, I get happy about it and share it with friends. At first they would get excited and want to come out to the range and shoot. Recently 4-5 of the guys are being more vocal about why they should ban guns. After few times trying to change there minds I decided I'm just wasting my time. In the last month anytime a shooting takes place, I get and email from one of them with a link to the story and "this is why they should ban guns". what would you do? ignore it? try to change there mind? I personally gave up, I don't talk to them about anything gun related or what Im going to buy next. I've also learned not to share anything with "friends" at work, stupid gun related remarks get dropped every now and then. I've had to ask them kindly to stop with the remarks since people around might not feel comfortable with the jokes. It just sucks how we have to be on pins and needles when it comes to sparking up a conversation about anything gun related.

Respond to their emails with videos like this:

wWoLGC-n4i4
j-q2zHIovOE
ZjXJBpV9YRI

"This is why they shouldn't ban guns".

SilverTauron
08-20-2012, 6:01 AM

Let it go.

You cannot force people to critically think. Those 5 guys are convinced banning guns is right, and are so far into the brainwashing that they're trying to get YOU to change your tone via the articles. You're not jumping on their bandwagon, and they are clearly neither ready or willing to shoot again, so it is best to leave the subject alone.

Those guys have a right to oppose gun ownership just as much as we have a right to support it. Do not think that I condone hoplophobia, but the US Constitution is a package deal. We cannot abide and support the 2nd Amendment without supporting the 1st.

JBaus
08-20-2012, 6:53 AM
I'm curious to know if any of those 5 guys have a significant other who has vocalized to them the dangers of firearms? I too have just started 6mos ago and would share with friends and co workers but I no longer talk about it at work as it appears that I am the only one in my group that has a firearm. Most of my friends have a 9mm for HD & they actually want to shoot with me as I am the only one that has long guns.

I would say to not bring it up anymore, but if they keep sending info against guns, I'd thank them for the info then I would send them stuff where firearms benefited. If they can send info that is "con" then you are entitled to send "pro" in reply. Both sides need to be educated IMO.

BTW....great start to your collection!

LAKings22
08-20-2012, 7:16 AM
Let it go.

You cannot force people to critically think. Those 5 guys are convinced banning guns is right, and are so far into the brainwashing that they're trying to get YOU to change your tone via the articles. You're not jumping on their bandwagon, and they are clearly neither ready or willing to shoot again, so it is best to leave the subject alone.

Those guys have a right to oppose gun ownership just as much as we have a right to support it. Do not think that I condone hoplophobia, but the US Constitution is a package deal. We cannot abide and support the 2nd Amendment without supporting the 1st.

Yup your right.

dixieD
08-20-2012, 7:19 AM
I get and email from one of them with a link to the story and "this is why they should ban guns".

I would point out that I and 60 million other people were not the shooter in this case, and that their implication that as a gun owner I am somehow responsible for the crime is unwarranted, prejudicial, and that it should stop. Ask them if they would like to receive emails regarding innocents murdered with weapon other than firearms, and who would have likely survived if they had a firearm for self-protection. Ask them about how they would feel if a single person of the 100,000-2.5 million defensive gun uses (DGU) per year died because of legislation they advocated for, which denies access to effective tools for self-defense. Would they feel compelled to apologize to the survivors.

Of course, none of this would make even the slightest dent because they are irrational, and emotional thinkers that ignore logic and facts.

Did any actually ever come to the range and shoot? If not then take them. If it were me I would go to a place where I could rent a firearm because I would not want them to know specifics about any firearms and quantity until they've turned.

I would also save the emails, and tell them you have saved them and demand that they stop because they are creating a hostile workplace environment, if this is in fact the case for you. Sounds like it is considering the unwelcome comments. I almost deleted this last suggestion, but kept it because you don't know if they might make a hostile environment claim, and go to management due to fear of your ownership, etc.

vikingm03
08-20-2012, 11:41 AM
I would not give up. If you and everyone else just give up, they will continue to spew anti-gun crap to everyone who will listen, including those on the fence about gun control. If the only thing neutral ears hear is how bad guns are and it seems to them EVERYONE wants to ban them (since the pro-gun people gave up and stopped talking), guess which way they are going to get off the fence... This is not a winning strategy...

Supertac916
08-20-2012, 12:56 PM
The best way to change an anti-gunners mind is to wait till they or someone they love are in a situation, where they felt helpless to their attackers.

One day I come home and take my Glock off, along with my extra mag because we had company over. My cousin's fiance at the time sees me and freaks out. She proceeds to tell me how dangerous they are and that we shouldn't even be allowed to own them. I told her it's ok and I had unloaded the gun already and it's stored, so it can't hurt her anyways. It's only dangerous if the person who has it is negligent or has ill intent.

She continued to tell me that she could never give me a hug again because she was afraid that it may go off. I just told her not to worry about it and didn't go into detail about how the guns operate and that it's always holstered, when it's on my person.

Less than a month later I receive a call from my cousin. There had been a shooting down the street from their home and the shooters had fled the seen directly to their house. They tried to get into their house by kicking on the front door, but couldn't get it open. All he had was a golf club and a kitchen knife. Fortunately, those guys were scared off by responding police units.

My cousin now has his Sig 229 .40, which he has recently received a CCW permit for. He still needs a lot more training before he'll feel comfortable carrying, but his wife no longer gives me crap:)

CBruce
08-20-2012, 1:42 PM
The best way to change an anti-gunners mind is to wait till they or someone they love are in a situation, where they felt helpless to their attackers.

One day I come home and take my Glock off, along with my extra mag because we had company over. My cousin's fiance at the time sees me and freaks out. She proceeds to tell me how dangerous they are and that we shouldn't even be allowed to own them. I told her it's ok and I had unloaded the gun already and it's stored, so it can't hurt her anyways. It's only dangerous if the person who has it is negligent or has ill intent.

She continued to tell me that she could never give me a hug again because she was afraid that it may go off. I just told her not to worry about it and didn't go into detail about how the guns operate and that it's always holstered, when it's on my person.

Less than a month later I receive a call from my cousin. There had been a shooting down the street from their home and the shooters had fled the seen directly to their house. They tried to get into their house by kicking on the front door, but couldn't get it open. All he had was a golf club and a kitchen knife. Fortunately, those guys were scared off by responding police units.

My cousin now has his Sig 229 .40, which he has recently received a CCW permit for. He still needs a lot more training before he'll feel comfortable carrying, but his wife no longer gives me crap:)

Something simliar to this happened to us and moved me from the 'guns might be alright for some people I guess' to the 'holy ****, I'm stupid to not have one'

Now I have 2. :P

AE102
08-20-2012, 2:19 PM
I just reply with "We agree to disagree :D ".

SilverTauron
08-20-2012, 2:29 PM

The problem with this strategy is that said anti-gunners may not survive the lesson alive.

CK_32
08-20-2012, 3:22 PM
Ignorance is bliss..

Send them the video of the chick in court who talks about if she had her gun on her her parents would be alive. That's a good one there was a long speech on guns that was ram good but can't remember much of it right now.. Pretty much would shut up anyone I know unless they didn't listen to it.. Had great points to every common guns are bad comment and then some..

1000stars
08-20-2012, 3:29 PM
Do not make any response. Save all the emails for your harassment lawsuit both personal and business. Just make sure you don't do anything that maybe construed as encouraging them. Consult with an attorney.

Agent Orange
08-20-2012, 3:38 PM
Stop acting like a gun nut.

toby
08-20-2012, 3:42 PM
You named two different kinds of people , leave it that way........

InGrAM
08-20-2012, 4:26 PM

Wow, you really are adding a lot to this thread with a comment like that.

:facepalm:

OP: Just leave it alone, if they keep sending the emails and harassing you then tell a superior that the said coworkers are making your feel uncomfortable in the work place.

And please, keep being a gun nut. There is nothing wrong with being a "gun nut."

Whatisthis?
08-20-2012, 5:02 PM
Wow, you really are adding a lot to this thread with a comment like that.

:facepalm:

OP: Just leave it alone, if they keep sending the emails and harassing you then tell a superior that the said coworkers are making your feel uncomfortable in the work place.

And please, keep being a gun nut. There is nothing wrong with being a "gun nut."

Also, if you must refer to yourself as a "gun nut" please use "gun enthusiast" instead. It has a much better connotation with it IMO.

The only thing they need to realize is criminals are called criminals for a reason. Just because guns would be "banned" doesn't mean criminals would stop being criminals, it just means it would be easier for them to be criminals.

I would honestly just leave it alone, though.

If you truly feel the need, compile EVERY good reason for guns to be around over the course of some months and let them read it. Read over it, make sure the correct language is used. It's very easy nowadays to have a slightly bad connotation with a single word that could ruin the effects of a sentence, paragraph, or even more.

If you feel like trying to persuade them in any possible way, I would stay away from saying stuff like "Home defense" and "self protection". Anti's really do not seem to understand that concept and many just call you crazy or think it's unlikely for a home invasion or break-in to happen. Instead, trying using facts that might shock them a little more. Downloaded the Sacramento, CA annual PD report and searched for the word "average". Found that the average police response time for an emergency situation to preserve life or apprehend the responsible person responsible was AT LEAST 6 minutes and 30 seconds over the last 5 years. And what are you going to do, ask a home invader to stop what he is doing until police arrive? You can't beat the damn person over the head with a spatula... I mean, i guess you could, but really?

Or, from this website, http://www.rainn.org/statistics
"Every two minutes, someone in the U.S. is sexually assaulted." That alone is an absolutely disgusting fact. And if you want to be precise, they do the math if click on the statistics link to learn more and it is actually every 2 minutes and 30 seconds.

IMO, sometimes these facts get through the anti's heads better than saying "look at this person saving lives."

Agent Orange
08-20-2012, 5:05 PM
...And please, keep being a gun nut. There is nothing wrong with being a "gun nut."...

My turn: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

JBaus
08-20-2012, 6:39 PM

someone's trolling!!!!

:slap:

:lurk5:

dunndeal
08-20-2012, 7:20 PM
I would save all the offending emails and at some appropriate moment speak with someone in HR. If you work at a company too small to have a HR Dept. save them anyway, they might be useful in a wrongfull termination lawsuit.

Loubot10
08-20-2012, 8:01 PM
Tell them that gun bans only affect lawful citizens so if they support disarming law abiding citizens, they forfeit any right to show empathy when an un-armed store owner, or homeowner, or even one of their relatives is killed.

They see a criminal killing a store owner as a gun problem solved by ensuring that only criminals have guns.

blazeaglory
08-20-2012, 8:32 PM

Well you know what Freud says...

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.

liberty47
08-20-2012, 8:35 PM
This nation was founded with the gun, every able-bodied man had a rifle. The founding fathers knew how important it was.

It's sad to know, that with all the social engineering and propaganda, Americans can't remember this part of history.

I would keep to yourself at work you don't have to talk to those close minded idiots. I would bet they are voting for Obama too (Romney just as bad). I've realized people can be so brainwashed they can't see the most obvious things

2+2=5
Slavery is Freedom
War is Peace

blazeaglory
08-20-2012, 8:36 PM
Respond to their emails with videos like this:

wWoLGC-n4i4
j-q2zHIovOE
ZjXJBpV9YRI

"This is why they shouldn't ban guns".

HELL YEAH!!! The first one with the old man was the best! He knew what he was doing, lined up his shots and acted as if he was on the course! My hat is off to that old man!! God that brought a tear to my eye to see him acting so professional and NOT just rapid firing into oblivion!

At the end of the video it looks like the crooks rapid firing in retreat and the man calmly took shelter begin the wall. Cool and calm!

Tim1071
08-20-2012, 8:56 PM

Start sending your anti gun co workers emails, with links attached, every time there is a drug bust and say " this is why we should ban drugs".

SJgunguy24
08-20-2012, 9:21 PM
I have few words for people like your coworkers. It usually goes like this.
I find it sad to see that you don't value yours or the lives of your family enough to have the best possible tool to protect them.
Then point them to study the Warren v. D.C. Case where the US supreme court found the police have no duty to protect anybody.

dwtt
08-21-2012, 7:36 AM
Aren't you a member of the NRA? There's a column in their monthly magazine called The Armed Citizen, and you should send them links to the stories every month to show how many crimes were stopped by a gun. Include a note saying "this is why everyone should own a gun".

Supertac916
08-21-2012, 10:38 AM
The problem with this strategy is that said anti-gunners may not survive the lesson alive.

That's true, but most anti-gunners are stubborn as hell. Many of them tell me they'd rather die, than to take another persons life. I say that's fine because I'm not really afraid to die either, but what if it was the life of your child or your spouse?

If you know an intruder is in your home. What would you do? All of them say call the police. If they live in good neighborhoods I also ask them how often they see a patroling car in their neighborhoods because most officers are patroling high crime areas, so the response time could be 5-45 minutes depending on where they live. Also, a discussion about the economy, unemployment, prisoners being released early, and less officers on the streets due to budget cuts. (They can't deny facts that they see on a daily basis) I also asked them what do parolee's do, when they can't find jobs? They're competing with the millions of other law abiding citizens for jobs. That usually causes them to think outside the box.

People aren't born pro or anti gun and it's usually due to their upbringing. I grew up with guns and so are my children. Many of the guys I have gotten into shooting and were scared or opposed guns at the beginning grew up in the large cities, where guns were predominately viewed as used for violence. Most are afraid of them due to irrational and sometimes a little rational fear of the unknown.

My intention isn't to force or convert people to share my beliefs. However, I offer to take them to the range to let them try shooting. That's how they get hooked.. However, it's not my responsibility to protect people and their families and if they choose not to own a gun for protection and something happens to them or their family. It's ultimately their life, choice, and personal responsibility.

Supertac916
08-21-2012, 10:49 AM
Something simliar to this happened to us and moved me from the 'guns might be alright for some people I guess' to the 'holy ****, I'm stupid to not have one'

Now I have 2. :P

That's how some get converted.. Glad it all worked out and allowed you to remedy your mistake:)

Pretty soon your going to own as many guns as your wife has shoes and purses. One for each occassion:)