PDA

View Full Version : .

JMP
08-19-2012, 11:11 PM

sigsr
08-19-2012, 11:36 PM
You need Homeboy sights. Sights that mount on the sides of slides.

http://www.thegunzone.com/glock/images/nyte-sytes.jpg

Synergy
08-19-2012, 11:42 PM
Why would you? :confused:

kouye
08-19-2012, 11:50 PM
:facepalm:

scglock
are you sure you're not trolling?

why shoot sideways when you can shoot straight?

even when you are laying down you still shoot straight in proportion to your body

Velio
I tend to angle my pistol slightly to the right when I shoot one handed(I'm a lefty) but that's as far as I go. I find it makes it a heck of a lot easier to line up the sights for follow up shots.

swifty
08-19-2012, 11:57 PM
...what are some tips to give to a sideways Noob?

Quit.:facepalm:

BigRobb
08-20-2012, 12:08 AM
My tip would be take some handgun courses and learn how to properly shoot a handgun.

Doing the ghetto glawk fowtay form is pointless and not as safe as properly shooting a firearm. Not only does it make you look bad it makes other gun owners look bad as well.

Bill Carson
08-20-2012, 12:14 AM

This

gatesbox
08-20-2012, 12:17 AM
I tend to angle my pistol slightly to the right when I shoot one handed(I'm a lefty) but that's as far as I go. I find it makes it a heck of a lot easier to line up the sights for follow up shots.

This is the closest thing to an answer you will get. When shooting two pistols, one in each hand, there is an argument to be made for canting both pistols toward the centerline to make it easier to sight both with very little movement. Other than that, No Virginia, no one really shoots like that.

Anti-Hero
08-20-2012, 12:25 AM
If so, what are some tips to give to a sideways Noob?

(Seriously, this is not a troll)

To properly shoot sideways you'll need to sag your pants, amd get a gold grill piece.

acolytes
08-20-2012, 12:27 AM
Quit.:facepalm:

:rofl:

dem0critus
08-20-2012, 2:27 AM
I fire mine like this to make it harder, since its possible and everything:

http://www.imfdb.org/w/images/thumb/c/ce/PT-1911-5.jpg/800px-PT-1911-5.jpg

NSR500
08-20-2012, 2:36 AM
I don't shoot sideways, but when shooting with my left hand only I will angle the gun towards my right because of eye dominance.

Chaos47
08-20-2012, 2:47 AM

This is actually proper technique when shooting one handed on your weak side.
It is called canting and it enables you to see the sights better with your dominate eye.

Sir Stunna Lot
08-20-2012, 4:33 AM
actually, theres a very good practical purpose for shooting sideways and to familiarize yourself with such a technique. I define sideway shooting as any situation where your gun isnt at the normal vertical position

In a situation where u fell on the ground and your target isnt at your feet but are at either side of you. Instead of wasting time rotating to have either having your feet facing the target while on your back or rotating to prone facing the target, you can quickly roll to which ever side the target is on and shoot with the gun not perpendicular to the ground.
Same can be applied if you are on your back and u have multiple targets on both sides. Shooting sideway is the only option since there isnt any time to rotate your body.

Another situation is when you only have 1 hand to shoot with. By default, your gun will rotate away from the typical vertical position when using only 1 hand to aim.

Shooting sideway is a skill that is just as important as the traditional shooting gun straight up. Even if sight picture is still the same, its worth practicing at least to be expose to such a posibility and knowing that it is a reliable option.

The War Wagon
08-20-2012, 4:50 AM
Saaaaaay... you're plumb right! It DOES sound silly! :rolleyes:

Travis590A1
08-20-2012, 5:17 AM
So I'm good at driving but I really want to master driving it in reverse everywhere. I want to drive in reverse on the freeway, any tips?

negolien
08-20-2012, 6:42 AM
My tip would be take some handgun courses and learn how to properly shoot a handgun.

Doing the ghetto glawk fowtay form is pointless and not as safe as properly shooting a firearm. Not only does it make you look bad it makes other gun owners look bad as well.

I concur sir...Owning a weapon is a responsibility not a right imho and with it goes the responsibility to learn proper safety and shooting techniques. :D

strokesdmb
08-20-2012, 6:56 AM
Is it safe to say that everyone thinks sideways shooting is the way to go?

sent from my SAMSUNG GALAXY NOTE using Tapatalk

JNunez23
08-20-2012, 7:13 AM
Another great product from Birdman Weapon Systems! LOL

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v611/kirsten06/Phonegun.jpg

call-in
08-20-2012, 7:40 AM
How about a C-More red dot sideways?

http://www.dawsonprecision.com/ProductDetail.jsp?LISTID=800012D9-1323297816

:D

J/k, yes, I know what it's for.

cannon
08-20-2012, 7:48 AM
At my club I host the "Raven Classic" shoot. You need a .25 semi and the last shot is sideways at thirty feet.

If you are going to shoot sideways the most effective way is to point shoot. Using the sights just doesn't seem to work with the group when tried. When it is done point shoot style there are a higher number of hits and near misses.

kablooie
08-20-2012, 7:53 AM
"kill shot, kill shot" (cant access the youtube link i saw the otherday; behind VPN now)

zum
08-20-2012, 8:07 AM
Another situation is when you only have 1 hand to shoot with. By default, your gun will rotate away from the typical vertical position when using only 1 hand to aim.

I've been seen side shooting around cover in IDPA :38:

some scenarios require you to shoot one handed around walls/cover & in a effort to maintain 50%+ cover I've sometimes peaked around and got my shots off while holding my pistol @ about 45 degrees :D

but then again I'm still a n00b :detective:

ZombieTactics
08-20-2012, 8:12 AM
f_e18qAbQpo?hd=1

Here's the video referenced, regarding forearm skeletal structure and movement:
WrQ885IflPM

em9sredbeam
08-20-2012, 8:14 AM
Side-shooting is great when committing a drive-by around a crowd of people. That way the recoil doesn't cause the gun to go up, but sideways so you can hit more people without shooting over their heads if you squeeze the trigger too fast. DUH....

5.0Driver
08-20-2012, 8:22 AM
The Chinese had a shooting style called Bandit Shooting. Holding the gun sideways causes the recoil to be forced horizontally. Allowing the shooter to sweep targets in close quarters. Effective in clearing small rooms. Mostly used with AK's and automatic pistols.

This style is shown in many early John Woo films and was brought up in on of the Metal Gear video games.

BigDogatPlay
08-20-2012, 8:51 AM
This style is shown in many early John Woo films and was brought up in on of the Metal Gear video games.

Well if it was in movies and on video games, it must be the right thing to do.

Grumpyoldretiredcop
08-20-2012, 10:26 AM
I have fired that way... when forced to go prone and shoot under very low cover, too low to go rollover prone. Undignified, to say the least! :D

When doing so, remember that your sights are calibrated to compensate for bullet trajectory when held in the vertical position - you will need to aim differently to compensate for that.

SacTown
08-20-2012, 11:13 AM
I shoot mine like this!

http://www.imfdb.org/w/images/thumb/0/04/Bourneid-wp5e.sigp229.jpg/800px-Bourneid-wp5e.sigp229.jpg

1911Luvr
08-20-2012, 1:15 PM
I don't shoot sideways, but when shooting with my left hand only I will angle the gun towards my right because of eye dominance.

^^This. Although it improves my hit ratio, unsupported weak hand is extremely difficult! Due to an injury I recently shot an entire match this way and man was it an eye opener. I definitely need more time practicing this!

5.0Driver
08-20-2012, 1:46 PM
Well if it was in movies and on video games, it must be the right thing to do.

Yeah.

Also in the old gangster movies from the '20s, '30's and '40's showed the actors shooting sideways. The reason was that the actors were afraid of casings hitting them in the face or other actors and crew members in the face. So they would angle their semi-autos and autos so they would eject casings downwards.

Vikingdad
08-20-2012, 2:01 PM
I tried it once when nobody was watching. Can't for the life of me see why one would want to shoot that way though. My accuracy was OK I suppose, but not nearly as accurate as shooting like a non-moron.

calif 15-22
08-20-2012, 3:42 PM
You'll shoot you eye out . . . You'll shoot your eye out!

No really wont the casing tag you in the head shooting sideways??

1911Operator
08-20-2012, 4:12 PM
this is how i do it

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y134/boss_406/shooting.gif

as long as i dont get inured from putting groceries away

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y134/boss_406/Insecurestripper.gif

Lead Waster
08-20-2012, 4:32 PM
I only shoot sideways when I'm lying down.

Kokopelli
08-20-2012, 7:09 PM
Shooting a handgun sideways is different than shooting sideways with a rifle. Shooting a rifle sideways requires a life vest and gardening gloves.

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk239/avmusician/Demotovational/151013_474239303605_1265090_n.jpg

VictorFranko
08-21-2012, 5:51 AM
http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m531/victorfranko/motivatora0f7d68a38dbb3dd12dd1b2340bc73e7d23654a8. jpg

SamayouSamurai
08-21-2012, 11:42 AM
Shooting side way = higher chance for the ejected shell to hit your face or even your eyes...

Bugguts
08-28-2012, 9:11 PM
You need Homeboy sights. Sights that mount on the sides of slides.

http://www.thegunzone.com/glock/images/nyte-sytes.jpg

Definitely need these. They have improved my Gangsta style by a mile! :43:

InGrAM
08-28-2012, 9:20 PM

This ^

Is the only time you should ever shoot a gun "sideways" and it isn't sideways it is canted.

bussda
08-28-2012, 9:36 PM
There was a pistol shooter from the 40's or 50's who shot quite holding his pistol sideways.
If you extend your arm in front of you, there is less muscular tension if holding something horizontally instead of vertically.
It is easier to sweep a room with a full auto machine pistol if you hold it sideways and go from right to left than hold it vertically and sweep left to right. (Firing full auto, the gun wants to go up and right held vertically, and holding it sideways uses this motion.)

mindwreck
08-28-2012, 10:06 PM
Me and a friend were at a range once and the kid next to us was practicing with his pistol sideway..

both of us look at each other and we just agree.. at least hes at the range practicing..

Sheepdog1968
08-28-2012, 10:13 PM
If I recall correctly, someone won an Olympic gold medal with his pistol quite a while ago and he shot it sideways and had the sights mounted accordingly.

scglock
08-29-2012, 12:28 AM
This thread is still going? For one handed shooting it is more natural to have it canted at a ~45 degree angle, not 90 degrees. Hold your arm out and you can feel the difference.

As for shooting sideways, in what situation would you ever have to do that? Even if you are shooting from behind cover with your upper body tilting out, your gun is still probably going to be square in relation to your shoulders. And laying down underneath a car for example, your gun may be parallel to the ground but still square in relation to your body. If you're practicing shooting sideways while just standing up straight, it seems even more pointless.

I just can't see any situation where shooting sideways would give you an advantage besides sweeping an entire room with an automatic weapon or something lol

cabinetguy
08-29-2012, 11:52 AM
I shoot sideways while doing drive by's since my window only rolls down a few inches

Capybara
08-29-2012, 1:04 PM
Shooting Gangsta Style begins at 7:01

UFUe7dhagTY

Lead Waster
08-29-2012, 1:23 PM
If I recall correctly, someone won an Olympic gold medal with his pistol quite a while ago and he shot it sideways and had the sights mounted accordingly.

That's the key then...having the sights on top.

thrasherfox
08-29-2012, 1:54 PM
Not going to go through all the posts, however I was out shooting with a friend of mine who trained with, what was then known as blackwater.

He taught me some pretty cool stuff, tactical reload, one handed reaload of a semi automatic pistol.

Then he taught me about shooting sideways. It really isnt fully sideways, it is more of a 45 degree cant I guess. Canted to 10 oclock position.

He told me it does something about allowing you to get back on target faster. he told me he knew it looked "thugish" and "gansta" but he said there was actually a reason for it.

I guess the caveate is, if you are using two hands then regular shooting is best, firing canted is only best if you are firing with one hand and not two.

Moonshine
08-29-2012, 3:28 PM
If you have to fire one handed, chances are its in an emergency situation, swing your fist like you're punching and you'll notice your fist is canted about 45 degrees. There's not much o a way to get around this in a tactical situation firing one handed you're probably going to be canted to some extent.

GVDP
08-29-2012, 9:06 PM
It makes it easier to put the gun to your temple.

BrassCase
08-29-2012, 9:44 PM
The Homeboy Nyte Sytes and the Shot Caller 2000 must be two of the greatest commercial products of 2012, now if I could ony find a gun store that sells them !

snafu510
08-29-2012, 11:27 PM
I'm surprised as all the negative responses to this question. I think it's a good idea to experiment a bit. How is shooting sideways any different than trying point shooting or any other technique? Sounds like a good way to get a feel for the gun. It didn't sound to me like the op was saying that's the way he shoots all the time.

Maybe I'm old, but I remember when shooting was supposed to be fun.

SgtMerc
08-29-2012, 11:34 PM

try getting a proper cheek weld while wearing an M40A1 gas mask.

ROCKETW19
08-30-2012, 12:25 AM
funny you guys all say a lil tilt is for one handed shooting. I have a weird lil tilt when shooting rifles. I am right handed and tilt the gun to the right I belive I even tilt my head.
is that a eye thing or am I just gangsta?

Doheny
08-30-2012, 12:35 AM
Does anyone shoot sideways (AKA, homeboy style shooting). To make things more challenging, I have done some sideways shooting lately. It is NOT EASY. Does anyone do this? If so, what are some tips to give to a sideways Noob?

(Seriously, this is not a troll)

After reading the above, I now have a better understanding of why you post the things you do in the Election Forum. ;)