PDA

View Full Version : Rock Island 1911

90runner
08-19-2012, 10:47 PM
No point to this thread really, Only made it to say that i absolutely love my Rock Island 1911 .45ACP. It just gets better and better the more i take it out. It started as a standard model but i have sense added a beaver-tail safety, hammer and STI trigger with some fine-tuning/polishing. The best thing i did was add the wrap around finger grove grip. So much more comfy.

Thanks for reading.

Synergy
08-19-2012, 10:52 PM
Yup- Love mine also!

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y39/Icemedic/brass.jpg

90runner
08-19-2012, 11:02 PM
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a297/curly_c/Untitled.jpg

Thats the only picture i have right now.

JMP
08-19-2012, 11:08 PM
I see all these posts about Rock Island 1911s. I don't mean to denegrate anyone's gun since I am sure they are good, but I heard that they were not great in quality as they are a cheap filipino knock off. How do they really compare to the major US brands like Springfield or Kimber?

90runner
08-19-2012, 11:15 PM
Every 1911 other than the original Colt is a "knock-off" The quality is fantastic. Its all steel, what could go wrong? Shoots great. I have no issues with it. Magazine works flawlessly. I have no idea why anyone would spend more other than to say they have a "Kimber" or "Willson Combat" yada yada yada. And Springfield isnt even made in America.

Loubot10
08-19-2012, 11:21 PM
Needs better sights but serves as a sound base to build up from, here's mine. By the time I'm done, I'll have less than $1k in it.

Before

http://i1270.photobucket.com/albums/jj612/Loubot10/Funs/683959a5.jpg

After

http://i1270.photobucket.com/albums/jj612/Loubot10/Funs/9fa5561a.jpg

Synergy
08-19-2012, 11:39 PM
I see all these posts about Rock Island 1911s. I don't mean to denegrate anyone's gun since I am sure they are good, but I heard that they were not great in quality as they are a cheap filipino knock off. How do they really compare to the major US brands like Springfield or Kimber?

My first 1911 was the RIA, I wanted a inexpensive investment. I paid about $425 OTD. All the reviews from many 1911 owners and 1911 forums rated the RIA/Armscor as top notch for the price. Plus a good warranty and service if needed. The Philippines have been building 1911s since WWII and can build them quite well. They are loose like a GI Colt, but the can run and run. They are not a TRP or Dan Wesson, but they are affordable and introduce many rookies into the 1911 platform.

As for Kimber Series II or Colt series 80, I would never own one! If JMB felt the 1911 was unsafe he would have added an additional safety. In my opinion, those added safeties are not a true 1911. Also I have no interest in owning a 1911 with an external extractor. :p

GW
08-19-2012, 11:42 PM
I have an RIA 1911 and a Wilson CQB
Yes, there is a distinct and definite difference. For the money, the RIA is the best out there. I will say the same about the CQB.

And--From personal experience, RIA customer service is A #1 best out there

acolytes
08-20-2012, 12:26 AM
I love mine. Was finally able to snatch a "tactical" up after many failed attempts.

SocalRichard
08-20-2012, 1:30 AM
I love my RIA 1911A1 CS.

http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb457/socalrichard/CGN/th_IMG_0361.jpg (http://s1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb457/socalrichard/CGN/?action=view&current=IMG_0361.jpg)

http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb457/socalrichard/CGN/th_IMG_0331.jpg (http://s1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb457/socalrichard/CGN/?action=view&current=IMG_0331.jpg)

ANG Tactical
08-20-2012, 1:39 AM
I was really close to getting the Rock Island 1911 but have been looking at the Springfield 1911's. I think it might be worth the extra money.

dem0critus
08-20-2012, 1:53 AM
Just got one of these too, mostly as a project to get my feet wet in 1911s and gunsmithing them. You can't do much to beat of these for the value. It does have its shortcomings tho. Firstly, hardly any of the edges are dehorned, particularly on the thumb safety, and the tangs of the frame near the top of where the grip safety lands. Since the grip safety isn't that well fit, those tangs sharply dig into the webbing of your hand when you have a tight grip. I didn't want to remove any material from my frame, so I just polished the edges of the tangs a little, and it's not so bad anymore. Still, I plan to fit a new grip safety eventually to properly eliminate those sharp edges all together. Next, my sights where a little bit off out of the box, but easily fixed by drifting the rear sight a hair to the right. Other than that, the finish isn't totally even throughout, the base of the front sight isn't flush to the slide, and the logo is hilariously big, but these are all purely aesthetic, so they bother me none. A springer or a kimber should have none of these problems, though, so that's really where that extra money is going.

I personally wanted something to tinker with and perfect without having to worry about damaging a $1000+ piece. Not to mention the fact that trying to learn how to gunsmith 1911s on a $1k-$2k pistol seems kinda goofy to me because they're so well fit/finished already. A lot of the things you're trying to learn would just be unnecessary. I'd feel like I was undoing more work than I was doing.

My overall impression is that you really can't go wrong for how inexpensive RIAs 1911s are, especially when you're talking about functionality. They're certainly a whole lot more "rough around the edges" than your $1k+ Springer/Kimber/etc, though. Personally, I think those higher end guns are well worth the money, and attempting to compare an RIA to a Springer w/ similar features is really a matter of apples to oranges.

Gun_Owner_901
08-20-2012, 8:41 AM
Umm this may piss some of you off lol, I have never shot a 1911 never even held a 1911 lol, can you guys tell me how they work as far as the hammer is concerned, is it a single action or double action, I only asking because I am considering picking up a RIA 1911.

Synergy
08-20-2012, 8:45 AM
Umm this may piss some of you off lol, I have never shot a 1911 never even held a 1911 lol, can you guys tell me how they work as far as the hammer is concerned, is it a single action or double action, I only asking because I am considering picking up a RIA 1911.

Single Action. Rack the slide and you are hot. Depress grip safety and pull the trigger. ;)

The legendary guru of the combat 1911, Jeff Cooper, came up with the “Condition” system to define the state of readiness of the 1911-pattern pistol. They are:

Condition 0 – A round is in the chamber, hammer is cocked, and the safety is off.
Condition 1 – Also known as “cocked and locked,” means a round is in the chamber, the hammer is cocked, and the manual thumb safety on the side of the frame is applied.
Condition 2 – A round is in the chamber and the hammer is down.
Condition 3 – The chamber is empty and hammer is down with a charged magazine in the gun.
Condition 4 – The chamber is empty, hammer is down and no magazine is in the gun.

Myself and many here keep our 1911s in Condition 1.

Furncliff
08-20-2012, 9:11 AM
I still want the Colt Gold Cup I was searching for when my wife gave me an RIA 1911-45 Tactical for Christmas about 4000 rounds ago. A broken slide stop has been the only issue (that happened in the first month). I shoot a lot off a rest testing loads, this pistol is way more accurate than I am, and it will feed anything. For me it's perfect. It's a range toy I don't have to worry about, do I still want the Gold Cup? Yes, but...

Recently I bought a RIA 1911 - 9mm mid length. It came to me with extraction problems. It took two trips to Nv. to get it right, but RIA paid all the shipping and communication with the gunsmiths and the shipping department was A#1.

RIA's just run, handsome is as handsome does.

90runner
08-20-2012, 9:54 AM
I agree the sights could be a bit better but the gun shoots better than i do.

polo.45
08-20-2012, 10:02 AM
Great guns.... I'm a 1911 guy.... My friend who knows about firearms told me that colt and RIA are like Chevrolet and GMC ... RIA bought their equipment from Colt..

Lifeon2whls
08-20-2012, 10:10 AM
I just started my 10 day wait on a RIA 2011 Tactical with the full rail. Its a SSE gun and I can't wait to get that sucker out to the range. Read many great reviews and with all the features on the Tactical 2011 version, I couldn't bring myself to get the GI.

Synergy
08-20-2012, 10:37 AM
I just started my 10 day wait on a RIA 2011 Tactical with the full rail. Its a SSE gun and I can't wait to get that sucker out to the range. Read many great reviews and with all the features on the Tactical 2011 version, I couldn't bring myself to get the GI.

2011 is my next one, where did you get it?

Lifeon2whls
08-20-2012, 10:46 AM
2011 is my next one, where did you get it?

Through EBR Works. They are a mom and pop shop here in Socal.

http://www.ebrworks.com/Home_Page.php (http://www.ebrworks.com/Home_Page.php)

Brandon04GT
08-20-2012, 2:51 PM
I really like mine also....but damn the grip safety sharp as hell and I have a bloody track on my hand in the shape of it after taking it to the range. I don't plan on throwing too much money into it but eventually i'll get it refinished and have a go at smoothing all the rough edges.

Also, is it just me or is the parkerizing very thin?

SouthpawE46
08-20-2012, 4:48 PM
I was pondering getting one as a first handgun. But I ended up getting a Glock 19 instead.

I'll own a 1911 later down the road.

Brandon04GT
08-20-2012, 5:06 PM
I was pondering getting one as a first handgun. But I ended up getting a Glock 19 instead.

I'll own a 1911 later down the road.

Good choice. I think most would agree that a Glock 19 would be a much better first gun than an RIA 1911.

SouthpawE46
08-20-2012, 5:25 PM
Yeah that's what I was told.

A guy at a gun shop said the opposite, so that's why I looked into RIA's in the first place.

I turned 21 today, so I just put the Glock in jail. I'm counting down the days...

Synergy
08-20-2012, 5:30 PM
Good choice. I think most would agree that a Glock 19 would be a much better first gun than an RIA 1911.

I will just leave this here for you! :p

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y39/Icemedic/Forum%20Junk/9mm.jpg

SouthpawE46
08-20-2012, 5:32 PM
It's not the size, it's how you use it.

I race cars, and I consistently see Miatas and S2000s run laps around 911s, Z06s and Vipers.

I guess they sit down to pee too?

Lead Waster
08-20-2012, 5:34 PM
The problem with the RIA is that it doesn't cost enough.

Synergy
08-20-2012, 5:37 PM

I race cars, and I consistently see Miatas and S2000s run laps around 911s, Z06s and Vipers.

Why yes, yes they do! :rofl2:

InGrAM
08-20-2012, 5:37 PM

You are watching too much Autocross.

And yes, they sit down to pee.

JMP
08-20-2012, 5:38 PM
The problem with the RIA is that it doesn't cost enough.

^^This is true. I feel the same way about Glocks. Every time I pick one up it just feels cheap (probably b/c the price).

Synergy
08-20-2012, 5:39 PM
Why yes, yes they do! :rofl2:

And yes, they sit down to pee.

:D

Comparing a Z06 to a Miata is like racing a 250 bike in 1000 class. Apples to oranges!

Synergy
08-20-2012, 5:43 PM
^^This is true. I feel the same way about Glocks. Every time I pick one up it just feels cheap (probably b/c the price).

Glocks don't feel cheap to me, they just don't fit my hand well, nor do they point or shoot well for me. I have other poly guns that I love like XD and USP. Especially the USP since it has the identical controls of the 1911 plus DA.

I better be careful the Glock fan bois will start PM'ing me threats! :rofl2:

90runner
08-20-2012, 7:20 PM
The only poly gun i have held that fits my hand right is the M&P series. That is probably the only poly gun ill ever own. Having a heavy metal frame gun in your hand just seems natural. 1911, Sig, HK. I have experience with glock and XD and would never choose either one over my RIA 1911

boltmopar
08-20-2012, 9:45 PM
I own a
Kimber Warrior Two
Colt Series 70
SIg XO
RIA tactical
Springfield Operator MC

The RIA was my first 1911 and by far my favorite. I upgraded all the internals and added nightsights. It has over three thousands rounds with no problems. After 2500 Is when I beefed up the internals. Currently I want to get the frame dura coated OD green to make it a fake Operator MC. The inside joke to annoy my brother, is so I can dual wield. When ever I say it, he gets really annoyed.

C.W.M.V.
08-20-2012, 10:05 PM
Love my RIA. Its probably the closest thing you can get now to the original vision of JMB.

Its loose, rattles around, and flat out works.

markw
08-21-2012, 12:06 AM
:D

Comparing a Z06 to a Miata is like racing a 250 bike in 1000 class. Apples to oranges!

Yup, lots of people can pull the trigger in a straight line, 250 teaches you corner speed. :)

Back to the RIA, I love mine, good bang for the buck, easy to "bling" out, did a wilson combat beavertail, hammer, trigger job, dawson sights and vz grips. The _ONLY_ problem I've had was 230gr ball would occasionally brush the slide stop and lock the slide back. It's a known problem that you can either ship it back and have RIA fix, or you can fix yourself with a mill file and a little bit of patience. Mine works flawlessly now, and I'm torn between it and the SP01.

Mark

Brandon04GT
08-21-2012, 12:37 AM
For those who just dropped in a new hammer in their RIA's....did you guys encounter any problems? I know ideally it should be mated to the sear but is it safe to just drop one in? assuming the gun passes all the safety checks upon reassembly.

dem0critus
08-21-2012, 1:34 AM
I really like mine also....but damn the grip safety sharp as hell and I have a bloody track on my hand in the shape of it after taking it to the range. I don't plan on throwing too much money into it but eventually i'll get it refinished and have a go at smoothing all the rough edges.

Also, is it just me or is the parkerizing very thin?

Yeah, this is what I was talking about on the tangs, but damn it never made me bleed. I hit the edges of the frame just a little using a dremel :eek: with a polishing wheel and some jewlers rouge. The tang still irritates my hand a little, but not nearly as bad as before. I get the idea that the only real solution is to fit another grip safety.

Mr.Do
08-21-2012, 1:37 AM
The RIA was my first choice as my first gun, but I couldnt find a good deal when I was in the market to get one. Then my Sig p220 came into my hands and I've never been happier. RIA is next on the list though. =)

Brandon04GT
08-21-2012, 1:46 AM
Yeah, this is what I was talking about on the tangs, but damn it never made me bleed. I hit the edges of the frame just a little using a dremel :eek: with a polishing wheel and some jewlers rouge. The tang still irritates my hand a little, but not nearly as bad as before. I get the idea that the only real solution is to fit another grip safety.

You hit the frame tangs? or the grip safety? I don't think the grip safety is supposed to be this sharp...I've seen pics of higher end 1911's with GI grip safeties with rounded edges...i'm about to hit mine with some filing then i'll cover it up with some super-blue.

dem0critus
08-21-2012, 1:59 AM
You hit the frame tangs? or the grip safety? I don't think the grip safety is supposed to be this sharp...I've seen pics of higher end 1911's with GI grip safeties with rounded edges...i'm about to hit mine with some filing then i'll cover it up with some super-blue.

the frame of the gun was really the sharp part, so ya that's what I was polishing. If it had been on the safety itself I'd have no qualms properly dehorning the edges down. I just didn't want to take any material off the frame. It only took the finish off the the very edge where the grip safety meets the frame, which you can hardly even see.