View Full Version : long gun transfer question

08-19-2012, 9:36 PM
i bought a .22 magnum ruger all-weather 77/22 rifle from an old friend that moved any. i never put it in my name i think his grandpa willed it to him when he passed away. do i need to register it? and do i just fill out the basic form and send it in? im asking because im thinking about trading it and i want to be legal

08-20-2012, 5:05 AM
Since 1991, firearm transfers had to be done through a CA FFL dealer.
Exemption to this requirement are transfers of rifles/shotguns that are 50+ years old and intra-familial transfers.

If the transfer took place prior to 1991, then nothing needs to be done because it was a legal transfer. There are no forms to fill out.

If the transfer took place after 1991, then it was an illegal transfer. Technically, the only way to correct is for both parties to do the transfer trough a CA FFL dealer. There are no forms you can fill out to correct this.