PDA

View Full Version : Fell In love at the range today

RekEnhanced
08-19-2012, 6:51 PM
While at the range I got to try out a bunch of new stuff, a few of which I was comparing for consideration or purchase. I mainly have been wanting a .45. The considerations were XD45 tactical or S&W M&P45. So I really liked the XD, didn't really like the M&P. Then I tried out something that changed everything. Beretta PX4 Storm. Oh this is a glorious little pistol.

The recoil felt like a .22. Now you could say... You moved from .45 to 9mm and it could just be perceived recoil vs actual recoil BUT.... I shot the M&P first, my .38sp next, then went on to the PX4. I didn't shoot the XD .45 til much later. I also shot a Glock 19 just after the Beretta.

I didn't want to buy a 9mm. I wanted a big ol 4-Fever. Now I don't know. I'm conflicted. Everyone drop me your 2 copper Lincolns please.....

hundreddollarman
08-19-2012, 7:02 PM
Why not try out a PX4 in .45 first to compare it with the XD you shot? Then you have more info to make a decision.

Josh3239
08-19-2012, 7:09 PM
Fun guns, but when you get serious get a 1911 :cool:

bombadillo
08-19-2012, 7:13 PM
There are so many more to try as well. Are you looking for a target/range gun, or a home defense gun, a carry gun, or what is your intention for it? Check out Ruger's P345, Sig 220, CZ97B, (one of my favorites) Springfield Loaded 1911, PX4X in whatever flavor, XD of your flavor from 3-5", HK, or LOTS of others. If you are going for a .45acp, seriously consider the CZ97 too because its an all steel, super smooth gun that just flat works. Great guns, super accurate, and minimum recoil with the steel frame.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/images/31189.jpg

I always forget to mention Glock, but they're not my favorite so I'm not a fan, but millions are so obviously they work for many, but just not me.

d sauce
08-19-2012, 7:17 PM
Can't go wrong with a PX4. They are a quality pistol at a good price. I'd say go PX4 and shoot whatever caliber makes you happy.

Press Check
08-19-2012, 7:27 PM
Owned a PX4 INOX for a brief second. Great pistol, and great ergonomics.

five.five-six
08-19-2012, 7:42 PM

QFT

RekEnhanced
08-19-2012, 7:52 PM
PX4 in .45 is not on the roster last time I checked. If it is on roster then we have a done deal.

The gun is for home defense and target range. IMO .45 is the best round for home defense.

As far as 1911's, I love 1911's but the ones I want all cost like $800+. That's not in the budget for me right now.

USP is also out of budget. LOVE the USP.

I have put a couple rounds through a CZ97 and although it was nice I am not really into it.

I would like to stay around $500ish bracket and have a rail for light addition for night time.

Also... I take special considerations when I purchase due to my left handedness. It affects how I use the slide catch and mag release. The ergonomics of the Beretta were perfect. I use my index finger to operate the slide catch and some of these dinky ones on newer polymer guns are difficult for me to operate.

DRAB_81
08-19-2012, 7:53 PM
Fun guns, but when you get serious get a Glock :cool:

I fixed it for you.
(Sorry, I couldn't resist)

OP:

You might want to do some research on the PX4's. I've read some not so encouraging reports.

INFAMOUS762X39
08-19-2012, 8:07 PM
The gun is for home defense and target range. IMO .45 is the best round for home defense.

As far as 1911's, I love 1911's but the ones I want all cost like $800+. That's not in the budget for me right now.

I would like to stay around $500ish bracket and have a rail for light addition for night time.

Also... I take special considerations when I purchase due to my left handedness. It affects how I use the slide catch and mag release. The ergonomics of the Beretta were perfect. I use my index finger to operate the slide catch and some of these dinky ones on newer polymer guns are difficult for me to operate.

.45 is a Great Round, but Expensive. If you want a 1911, make sure it's made in America, save up and get the one you want from the start trust me. Just my two cents.

I just picked up my Glock 19 today fits me nicely. I am looking at a M&P 9 next.

jimmythebrain
08-19-2012, 8:09 PM
You may want to look at the SW99 in 45 ACP- these are under $500 and are left handed shooter friendly. They have a rail. The sights are easy to change without need of a sight pusher or special tools. They have interchangeable back straps for grip size. I have not shot one in 45 ACP but I have shot the Walther P99 and SW99 in 9 MM and 40 Cal. These are a striker fired pistol. Avoid the double action only SW99 (DAO) police trade ins. There is a Double action/Single action trigger option with a decocker on the top of the slide, that is the one to get/try. Just another option.

The polymer frame pistol that I shoot the best is a Walther P99 40 Cal.

bombadillo
08-19-2012, 8:10 PM
Seriously, check into the Ruger P345. Great gun with a DA/SA action and a decocker. Has a light rail, consistent with EVERY type of ammo I've ever put through it, in your price range with a single stack mag so its really nice ergonomically. Totally worth considering and I would only buy the stainless version.

90runner
08-19-2012, 8:19 PM
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/411539799

They also make the same thing with a rail. I believe that Rails dont belong on a 1911 but its your choice. I have a Rock Island 1911 and it is fantastic.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a297/curly_c/AC-RI1911-2011left-D.jpg

jimmythebrain
08-19-2012, 8:34 PM
Not to shanghai this thread, but are Rock Island Armory 1911's on the roster? A 1911 under $500 that is decent quality would be a good 45 ACP option.

EDIT: found it under armscor as the RIA model 1911, CA approved.

RekEnhanced
08-19-2012, 10:22 PM
I've always been curious about the Rock Island 1911's too. I'm somewhat weary because I have no experience with them and don't know anyone that has one. Lack of familiarity.

gumby
08-19-2012, 10:28 PM
Stick with your first choice, the px4. Mine's in .40 and I'm very happy with it.

OIF0708
08-20-2012, 1:49 AM
If you like the PX4, might look at the Cougar. Made by Beretta or Stoeger, they are great shooting. After I shot(and bought) my first one I was back to he store to buy the other one they had left. Can be had for under $500. Mine are the 8000F 40s&w and the 8040 and are a dream to shoot.
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/819/mycougars.jpg/#

Oceanbob
08-20-2012, 7:19 AM
I'am not a fan of the Storm...google 'Beretta PX4 Storm Problems' for some good information.

I also think it's too big for 9. Why not go back to your .45 auto idea and try a G 21SF (short frame).?

These are in your price range and run 100%.

Or spend slightly more money and do a SSE on a GEN4 Glock 21. An incredible .45 auto.

jsipe007
08-20-2012, 10:48 AM
If you keep your eyes open you can run across great deals... I picked up my Colt 1911 for only $500. Its a series 80 with the large roll mark and an excellent fit between the frame and slide. Got it at Cabelas... Did $50 of upgrades and it is a superb shooter, way more accurate than I am.

skosh69
08-20-2012, 11:44 AM

What he said!

dragonboy221
08-20-2012, 12:08 PM
I'am not a fan of the Storm...google 'Beretta PX4 Storm Problems' for some good information.

dude WTF are you talking about? i recently bought a brand new PX4 storm .40SW FULL SIZE and shot hundreds of rounds and no jams or misfire. maybe you were referring to the problems when the gun first came out. this is very normal since anything new, like car, that comes out always have problems. thats why you buy the later models.

and besides, Beretta have been making guns for 500 years. better than glock, SW, or any other gun manufacture if you ask me.

when i first held the PX4 storm in my hand, it felt like i was getting laid by a supermodel. it was absolutely perfect. PERFECT ergonomics, size, grip, texture, you name it. but when i held the Glock or S&W MP40, it felt like $h!t.

to OP, buy the PX4 Storm full size in 40SW. 45ACP is just overkill, and you will pay alot for ammo. make sure you buy a brand new one and not used. a used gun is like a used condom...

Jimmy310
08-20-2012, 12:23 PM
How old are you, 14?

dude WTF are you talking about? i recently bought a brand new PX4 storm .40SW FULL SIZE and shot hundreds of rounds and no jams or misfire. maybe you were referring to the problems when the gun first came out. this is very normal since anything new, like car, that comes out always have problems. thats why you buy the later models.

and besides, Beretta have been making guns for 500 years. better than glock, SW, or any other gun manufacture if you ask me.

when i first held the PX4 storm in my hand, it felt like i was getting laid by a supermodel. it was absolutely perfect. PERFECT ergonomics, size, grip, texture, you name it. but when i held the Glock or S&W MP40, it felt like $h!t.

to OP, buy the PX4 Storm full size in 40SW. 45ACP is just overkill, and you will pay alot for ammo. make sure you buy a brand new one and not used. a used gun is like a used condom...

SilverTauron
08-20-2012, 12:25 PM
Agreed

And boy do they not let you forget it either. I owned a Beretta 9000s whose safety sprung itself out the blue into the "fire" position. The paraphrased response from Beretta's Customer Service:
"Here's the phone number to an authorized gunsmith nearby. Please f**k off".

Not disputing that their guns aren't bad, but the customer service is so awful you may as well buy a Century Arms grey-market import. If a Beretta pistol breaks the factory's gonna treat you like M does in James Bond when he screws up-they don't know you and disavow all connection to the customer and his broken gun.

The Glock and M&P do have changeable backstraps, and the factory won't tell you to piss off should a problem come up.

Perhaps the OP should choose a caliber which suits his needs , not because someone arbitrarily decides a war tested cartridge is "overkill".

DRAB_81
08-20-2012, 12:27 PM

Did you happen to do what Bob said to do? If you did, you'd know what he and I are talking about. Here's a link to a Google search for "Beretta PX4 Problems":
http://www.google.com/search?q=beretta+px4+problems&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&client=safari

Here's another thread with some insight into the quality of the PX4:
http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?4982-Tough-Choice-All-purpose-polymer-DA-SA-pistol

Here's a couple quotes from that thread:
The Cougar, which also had a rotating barrel, had various problems not all of which were related to the locking system. That gun eventually reached a point where they didn't want their name on it any more and it's now marketed under their cheaper Stoeger brand.

Many of the same problems were carried through to the PX4, but the locking mechanism was "fixed" just enough to make it extremely sensitive to cleaning and lubrication. As mentioned earlier by will_1400, I once had a group of students from a government agency show up to class with their PX4 and literally use a mallet to smash the guns open when they got too dirty to manipulate by hand. One of the guys in the group had the mallet in his range kit for exactly that purpose.

Like anything else, I have no doubt that someone somewhere has a PX4 that is awesome, runs like a sewing machine built by God Himself, and is capable of shooting around corners. But in my experience the PX4 as a species is inferior to many competing products on the market.

If given a choice between a PX4 and a case of herpes, I'd probably flip a coin...

So... That's WTF Bob is talking about...

nfong2684
08-20-2012, 12:35 PM
USP is also out of budget. LOVE the USP.

If you love the USP get the USP. It has been around for decades. People can run thousands of rounds through them and they are practically good as new. Their are USP models that have ambi controls for almost everything, i dont think they have an ambi slide-lock however.
Used USP's could fall into your price range if you monitor the private market frequently. Since the USP is still on roster you can purchase out of state ones which tend to be relatively cheaper than ones you will find in CA (i am not a transfer expert, so you will have to ask people smarter than me for what that entails).

Shopping for a hand gun is half the fun sometimes, go out and shoot all sorts of calibers and makes and see what you like the most. Good luck with your search!

bombadillo
08-20-2012, 12:36 PM
Wow, never knew beretta was making guns in the 1500's........ :rofl2:

Legasat
08-20-2012, 7:03 PM
Buy the one you shot best with. Trust your gut!