PDA

View Full Version : Thanks, Kimber!

sluggo
08-19-2012, 6:45 PM
I picked up a Kimber Customer TLE/RL II after months of penny pinching because, well, it's a ****ing Kimber. Eight months later, after very light use, I pull it out of my safe and see this **** all over it. The Kimber sits in a safe on the second floor of my house in Eastern San Diego (see: dry climate) in a closet. The piece sits inside of a moisture-wicking "sock", and there are silica gel packets in the safe for good measure. I sent the gun back to Kimber (since it's under warranty) and they told me that it was neglect, and essentially told me to pound sand. I suppose this is a rant more than anything... but I'm done with Kimber.

russ69
08-19-2012, 6:53 PM
Open air is the best place to store a blued gun. Where do you think the moisture is coming from?

Casket
08-19-2012, 6:54 PM
I'd say that moisture-wicking sock retained some moisture.

KWalkerM
08-19-2012, 6:55 PM
8 months could be the issue... i try and oil+clean my guns once a month. 8 months ago was january prob moisture from then through april

Maddog5150
08-19-2012, 6:55 PM
Yup thats rust. It's caused by moisture getting to the metal and isnt exactly spontaneous. May want to look into how moisture got into your safe. Many socks and cases hold moisture in despite what the box says.

lgm118icbm
08-19-2012, 7:02 PM
Yup, definitely not Kimbers fault that metal oxidizes. You have to be careful to keep them clean and after cleaning, not to touch them with your bare hands before putting them into storage. Even so, it takes all of two minutes to wipe them down every few months. No rust for me and I live 3 miles from the beach and the humidity rolls in every night.

misterjake
08-19-2012, 7:15 PM
I'd also recommend Slip 2000 EWL for rust protection and as your gun oil. Non toxic and works great! Read link below.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_7/502758_Which_Lube_Protects_Best___Part_2___Pics_.h tml

skosh69
08-19-2012, 7:35 PM
Sorry to hear of your problems with both your gun and with Kimber' C/S.

I sent you a pm with what I hope is some helpful info...keep us posted.

.45heat
08-19-2012, 9:40 PM
Sorry to hear and see a Kimber all rusty. Did you have any other firearms in the safe that had rust issue?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

MrExel17
08-20-2012, 12:12 AM
That sucks! Sorry that happened!

yzernie
08-20-2012, 12:25 AM
Hard to blame the manufacturer for that one.

ewarmour
08-20-2012, 7:34 AM

I agree. You should really take better care of your guns. :hide:

If I were you I would clean and lube all my firearms and install 1 or 2 mini dehumidifiers (http://www.target.com/p/eva-dry-mini-dehumidifier-white-e-500/-/A-12134582?ref=tgt_adv_XSG10001&AFID=Google_PLA_df&LNM=%7C12134582&CPNG=appliances&ci_sku=12134582&ci_gpa=pla&ci_kw=) in your safe and get rid of any gun sock type sleeves.

I would then take the opportunity to robar my rusty Kimber.

stormvet
08-20-2012, 9:14 AM
Don't thank Kimber, thank yourself. That gun is a rust bucket do to your neglect. Instead of leaving it in your safe in a sock, try shooting it, clean it and leave a lite film of oil on it. They tend to last a life time when you do that.

M1A Rifleman
08-20-2012, 9:20 AM
A tough lesson you had to learn. Guns need to be oiled, especially when sitting in safes and not touched for long periods of time. In wet climates, extra care is required.

gotshotgun?
08-20-2012, 9:38 AM
Just send it in for a refinishing. Hard chrome maybe :D

Lifeon2whls
08-20-2012, 10:13 AM
Definitely your fault and not Kimber's. The gun can probably be polished, etc to new but like others have said, its a tough lesson to learn. A light coat of oil goes a LONG way.

polo.45
08-20-2012, 10:48 AM
R.I.P kimber. Not a kimber problem... Firearms need care and love....

RazzB7
08-20-2012, 10:53 AM
I'll take it. I'm in east county too. That is an unfortunate but salvageable mistake. (Not Kimber's)

Grumpyoldretiredcop
08-20-2012, 10:53 AM
Unfortunately, eight months of improper storage and neglect aren't the factory's problem. While the Kimber barrels tend to flash rust in my experience, the rust on the frame, slide and other parts indicate to me that you did not take proper care of your pistol.

Try some 0000 steel wool and oil, don't use pressure, let the steel wool do the work, change it frequently and check your work often. If that doesn't take the rust off, you're in for a refinishing job. An expensive lesson learned about firearm maintenance, I'm sorry to say.

Merc1138
08-20-2012, 11:09 AM
You're done with Kimber after they told you it's not their fault, do you expect some other manufacturer to re-finish a gun for free because you let it get rusty?

Cuda440
08-20-2012, 11:37 AM
I know that the sweat on my hands is made of acidic alien blood, any blued gun I touch will look like that within two days. I learned my lesson with my first nice pellet gun when I was 10.

Now I keep one of these (http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=31941/Product/SHEEPSKIN-CLEANING-CLOTH)sheepskin cloths sprayed with oil, sitting on the shelf in my safe. Every weapon I touch gets a quick wipe before being put away.

SilverTauron
08-20-2012, 11:57 AM
I picked up a Kimber Customer TLE/RL II after months of penny pinching because, well, it's a ****ing Kimber. Eight months later, after very light use, I pull it out of my safe and see this **** all over it.

No machine is going to work well after 8 months of improper storage.

The Kimber sits in a safe on the second floor of my house in Eastern San Diego (see: dry climate) in a closet. The piece sits inside of a moisture-wicking "sock", and there are silica gel packets in the safe for good measure.
Dry climate or not the piece is still made out of metal.There's always moisture of some kind in the air. I went to a college where the law on campus mandated all firearms be kept only in the students' vehicles. Every week id check on the guns, and every week whether it was rain, sleet, or snow there was a light layer of rust on the outside. Had I left them there for 3 months my pistols would look like they were raised from the Titanic wreck.

I sent the gun back to Kimber (since it's under warranty) and they told me that it was neglect, and essentially told me to pound sand. I suppose this is a rant more than anything... but I'm done with Kimber.

Harsh, but true:Kimber is quite correct to reject the warranty claim for neglect. Life's lessons can hurt like this. I am actually quite suprised you didn't check on your expensive 1911 for *8 months*;at my university I owned a beat up Beretta 92 and a Reagan-era Taurus 9mm , and every week I checked on my pieces like a doting parent.Had I owned a Kimber I'd be hard pressed not to check it daily!

Anti-Hero
08-20-2012, 12:49 PM
On a quiet night you can hear a 1911 rust.

Ron-Solo
08-20-2012, 1:21 PM

I agree. You should really take better care of your guns. :hide:

If I were you I would clean and lube all my firearms and install 1 or 2 mini dehumidifiers (http://www.target.com/p/eva-dry-mini-dehumidifier-white-e-500/-/A-12134582?ref=tgt_adv_XSG10001&AFID=Google_PLA_df&LNM=%7C12134582&CPNG=appliances&ci_sku=12134582&ci_gpa=pla&ci_kw=) in your safe and get rid of any gun sock type sleeves.

I would then take the opportunity to robar my rusty Kimber.

Don't thank Kimber, thank yourself. That gun is a rust bucket do to your neglect. Instead of leaving it in your safe in a sock, try shooting it, clean it and leave a lite film of oil on it. They tend to last a life time when you do that.

Definitely your fault and not Kimber's. The gun can probably be polished, etc to new but like others have said, its a tough lesson to learn. A light coat of oil goes a LONG way.

R.I.P kimber. Not a kimber problem... Firearms need care and love....

Time to take responsibility for your lack of care.

Supertac916
08-20-2012, 1:39 PM
Definitely get yourself a dehumidifier for your safe. I keep several of my guns in silicone socks. I do keep my guns pretty clean though and make sure if I'm planning to store one for longer than a month without shooting to add some extra oil and wipe it down with a silicone gun and rod cloth.

ripcurlksm
08-20-2012, 1:47 PM
Take responsibility for your sheit.

2 + 2 = 4

Citadelgrad87
08-20-2012, 2:03 PM
First off, I hate to see rust on a firearm. Sorry for your loss of a nice finish.

But this Saturday, i pulled every blued firearm out of my safe and ran an oily rag over them all, because Friday I had showed some to a friend, and I wanted to ensure that there was no issue. I actually had a bit of trouble sleeping Friday night because I wanted to do it before I went to bed.

Bluing is a very fragile finish, I have seen fingerprints etch bluing overnight.

Silicon socks are great, but they won't wipe prints and acidic residue from fingering your firearms.

Chalk this up to live and learn, and get that pistol bead blasted and hard chromed.

Cheep
08-20-2012, 5:00 PM
That's too bad. Sounds like you need a dehumidifier instead of a sock, what do your other guns look like, any rust on them? If no rust on the other guns then the sock had moisture or acidic oil from your hands. If it's no good anymore then I'll dispose of it for you...
BTW I live in inland SD county and don't have this problem...

GunSleenger
09-18-2012, 9:37 AM
AARRRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!! I think I cried when I opened the picture :( I have a Kimber in SS and I've learned to wipe her down every time I TOUCH it else, it will rust.

ElDub1950
09-18-2012, 9:44 AM
I've seen a couple of posts about guns rusting quickly in 'moisture absorbing socks'.

Makes me wonder if those socks don't absorb moisture from the air and hold it against the gun.

CSACANNONEER
09-18-2012, 9:48 AM
If you bought a brand new truck, drove it 50,000 miles without changing the oil, would it be the manufaturer's fault that your neglect fried the engine?

greybeard
09-18-2012, 10:07 AM
I hear about Kimbers and rust all the time. I just brought the rattiest TLE, I have every seen. I am sure it has not seen a drop of oil or cleaned, since it left the factory. The springs are about 1 and half times the size they should be. I detailed stripped it, this weekend and not a bit of rust. My fifth Kimber and have yet to see any rust.

alfred1222
09-18-2012, 11:23 AM
i agree with all of the above, i have plenty of Kimbers, and just like any other gun, they need to be cared for. if they are not, they turn into piles of rust, like the thing you have up their.

alfred1222
09-18-2012, 11:24 AM
i agree with all of the above, i have plenty of Kimbers, and just like any other gun, they need to be cared for. if they are not, they turn into piles of rust, like the thing you have up their.

Aldemar
09-18-2012, 12:12 PM
AARRRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!! I think I cried when I opened the picture :( I have a Kimber in SS and I've learned to wipe her down every time I TOUCH it else, it will rust.

How does a stainless rust so fast if at all? I've got a Stainless TLE/RL II and a Stainless Target II. The TLE is my HD gun and it goes from safe to nightstand and back again for months at a time without cleaning if it hasn't been to the range. That's why I prefer that a HD gun be stainless and not blued.

I've got several other brands of stainless guns and don't ever recall a rust issue - blued ones on the other hand should be looked after on a regular basis.

dls
09-18-2012, 12:20 PM
Well, not much to do now but fix it.

IonBond it,and maybe coat it with oil when stored.

Citadelgrad87
09-18-2012, 12:47 PM
How does a stainless rust so fast if at all? I've got a Stainless TLE/RL II and a Stainless Target II. The TLE is my HD gun and it goes from safe to nightstand and back again for months at a time without cleaning if it hasn't been to the range. That's why I prefer that a HD gun be stainless and not blued.

I've got several other brands of stainless guns and don't ever recall a rust issue - blued ones on the other hand should be looked after on a regular basis.

Colt used a great photo in their stainless ads in the 1980s, they had a stainless 1911, action locked open, sitting in the dishwasher rack.

Aldemar
09-18-2012, 2:04 PM
Colt used a great photo in their stainless ads in the 1980s, they had a stainless 1911, action locked open, sitting in the dishwasher rack.

Next thing you know, they will show one in a pool filter:D

jben
09-18-2012, 9:28 PM
Sometimes it amazes me how few Calgunners seem to have ever heard of a GoldenRod (or something similar):shrug:

I live on the north coast in a house with no insulation. Worst case scenario for humidity/rust. Both of my safes have GoldenRods and I have zero problems.

cabinetguy
09-19-2012, 2:21 PM
I learned a long time ago that gun socks and soft cases are rust magnets. You should be able to clean that up, but i dont see how its kimber's fault.

1 SIG fan
09-19-2012, 6:00 PM
Wow. The Brady's aren't even that harmful to guns...

BigStiCK
09-19-2012, 6:36 PM
I'll tell you exactly how that moisture gets into your safe-

Air.

Does not matter if you are in a dry climate. Same principal as the glass of ice cold (pick your beverage) forming water droplets on the outside of the glass.

Condensation. Look it up.

The cold surface of the glass chills the adjacent air to its dew point. The water vapor in the air then condenses into a liquid, frequently clinging to the colder surface.

In this case the temperature differential of the weapons inside the safe is enough to create that condensation.

Your typical de-humidifier is simply a heater that warms the air inside the safe & helps to prevent condensation.

Of course, as the others have previously posted, regular & thorough cleanings/ inspections are a must.

-Stick
:patriot:

becxltoo984
09-19-2012, 8:56 PM
:nopity:

biglou
09-20-2012, 7:04 AM
Look into duracoat as a possibilty.

redcliff
09-20-2012, 8:53 AM
Silicone gun cleaning cloths. Whipe your firearms down completely after firing or handling them. Your fingerprints will rust metal unless displaced.

bubbapug1
09-21-2012, 12:09 AM
If you bought a brand new truck, drove it 50,000 miles without changing the oil, would it be the manufaturer's fault that your neglect fried the engine?

So your supposed to change oil before 50,000 miles???

Tell my daughter that

freonr22
09-21-2012, 12:41 AM
Unfortunately, eight months of improper storage and neglect aren't the factory's problem. While the Kimber barrels tend to flash rust in my experience, the rust on the frame, slide and other parts indicate to me that you did not take proper care of your pistol.

Try some 0000 steel wool and oil, don't use pressure, let the steel wool do the work, change it frequently and check your work often. If that doesn't take the rust off, you're in for a refinishing job. An expensive lesson learned about firearm maintenance, I'm sorry to say.

Would bronze wool be better? Like frame brownells or something?

GunSleenger
09-26-2012, 9:02 AM

Unfortunately, I'm cursed with having ever sweating hands. When I first got it, I would handle it and put it away frequently. I then noticed the barrel rusting where my palm would come to rest when racking the slide back. The body will develop rust spots as well but again, I blame it on my sweady hands. Try putting some water on your SS Kimber's barrel and slide and see if you don't see rust spots form overnight.

Charlie50
09-26-2012, 10:06 AM
I use gun socks extensivly on vintage nd modern firearms in a safe. Have had no problems. I do, however, lighty oil surfaces maybe once a year. Have 'em decades, no rust. Sounds like there was a source of moisture and pistol was not oiled... hard lesson.

Aldemar
09-26-2012, 3:36 PM
Unfortunately, I'm cursed with having ever sweating hands. When I first got it, I would handle it and put it away frequently. I then noticed the barrel rusting where my palm would come to rest when racking the slide back. The body will develop rust spots as well but again, I blame it on my sweady hands. Try putting some water on your SS Kimber's barrel and slide and see if you don't see rust spots form overnight.

Not a speck of rust anywhere, ever. But I have a "Goldenrod" in my safe.

I've known folks whose body chemistry is such that they can mess up just about any metal, including turning 24kt gold green within a day or so. Looks like you fall into that group.

Citadelgrad87
09-26-2012, 5:22 PM
Not a speck of rust anywhere, ever. But I have a "Goldenrod" in my safe.

I've known folks whose body chemistry is such that they can mess up just about any metal, including turning 24kt gold green within a day or so. Looks like you fall into that group.

I just saw your earlier comment about the pool filter.:D

To quote the guy from BlackHawk Down,

"I recognize myself...pretty funny, hooah?":43:

Anchors
09-26-2012, 10:49 PM
Everyone is quick to jump on you, but I've seen cases where it was the manufacturers fault. Like a 1911 that was supposed to be stainless steel, but the manufacturer accidentally sent out an uncoated carbon steel gun..

Plus, I bought a used Springfield 1911 with light surface rust on it once and they completely refinished it for me for free and paid shipping both ways, no questions asked.

Kimber might not be at fault here, but their customer service (or lack there of) has always left something to be desired IMO.

maitime
09-26-2012, 11:03 PM
Everyone is quick to jump on you, but I've seen cases where it was the manufacturers fault. Like a 1911 that was supposed to be stainless steel, but the manufacturer accidentally sent out an uncoated carbon steel gun..

Plus, I bought a used Springfield 1911 with light surface rust on it once and they completely refinished it for me for free and paid shipping both ways, no questions asked.

Kimber might not be at fault here, but their customer service (or lack there of) has always left something to be desired IMO.

i buggered up my grips while trying to remove a stuck grip screw. called kimber to buy new grips and screws and they said i should use screw bushing so that doesnt happen again. they asked my address and told me that my grips, grip screws, and bushings would arrive shortly. total cost - 5 mins of cell phone use.

i agree with most here, you cant neglect a firearm and then point the finger at someone else. you bought a ferrous metal gun, you should take care of it.

NIB
09-26-2012, 11:18 PM
This would never happen to a Glock.

:whistling:

maitime
09-26-2012, 11:19 PM
This would never happen to a Glock.

:whistling:

i wish i would have taken a pic of the rusty *** glock that i was offered a few months ago.

locosway
09-26-2012, 11:52 PM
Time to take responsibility for your lack of care.

Or buy a Glock since they seem to not rust... :D

maitime
09-26-2012, 11:55 PM

i wish i would have taken a pic of the rusty *** glock that i was offered a few months ago.

locosway
09-26-2012, 11:56 PM

I've had some rust show up on the Warren Tac sights on my Glock, but not on any other part.

I keep my 1911's wiped down... ;)

Mr.1904
09-27-2012, 12:07 AM
It has also been unusually humid in SD this summer.

Huge Grant
09-27-2012, 7:34 AM
Who checked and oiled all their guns after seeing this thread?

*raises hand*

locosway
09-27-2012, 7:37 AM

*raises hand*

I got into the bad habit of not oiling my guns since I only owned Glocks for a while. Now that I have 1911's and some long guns, I have to wipe them down usually twice a month to keep my brain from thinking they're melting away.

negolien
09-27-2012, 9:53 PM

*raises hand*

:iagree::stupid:

Fishslayer
09-27-2012, 11:50 PM
I use gun socks extensivly on vintage nd modern firearms in a safe. Have had no problems. I do, however, lighty oil surfaces maybe once a year. Have 'em decades, no rust. Sounds like there was a source of moisture and pistol was not oiled... hard lesson.

Same here, though not for decades. The socks are more to prevent handling damage going into & out of the safe.

I'll be doing an inspection & wipedown tomorrow though. A couple haven't been to the range in quite awhile. An oily wipedown will do no harm.

Well... that's an unreasonable expectation. Lack of care notwithstanding he would seem to have some taste in firearms... :devil:

I'm sorry. I couldn't resist... :(