PDA

View Full Version : Heritage Arms Rough Rider

Rob42o
08-19-2012, 12:02 PM
Does anyone have experience with the Rough Rider .22LR? Main question is has anyone tried blanks in it? We plan to train with our horses, and mounted shooting. Figure a .22 is nice small, an something that can be practiced with every day. Rather then a .45 black powder blank.

Izzy43
08-19-2012, 12:31 PM
I have a RR but have never used blanks. I don't see any reason why you couldn't use them, its just another .22 revolver like any other. If you have real concerns just give Heritage a call they are very responsive to questions.

By the way Turners has a sale on the Rough Riders until Sept 13. I assume you will have the revolver in a holster and drawing it when you shoot. If so I would think the 4 1/2" barrel with fixed sights would be best. I have the 6 1/2" with adjustable fiber optic sights and the sights are an issue when drawing from a holster. I'll be picking up one of the 4 1/2" fixed sight models before the sale ends. They are not a Ruger Single Six but great value for the money in my opinion. If you would rather have the 6 1/2" model with fixed sights Turners has that for $129 (Long Rifle Only, No Magnum cylinder), hard to beat for the $$$.

chknlyps2
08-19-2012, 12:45 PM
Never shot any blanks through one but I don't see why not. If you are going to be at the clean-up next weekend and have some blanks I will bring my rough rider and you can try it if you want. I was not going to bring it but if you let me know by friday evening I will.

sephy
08-19-2012, 12:56 PM
http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-280954.html

That guy seems to have fired blanks in his with no problems.

dtp
08-19-2012, 3:50 PM
I've thought about getting one of these... but what am I missing here? I can't find them on the CA Handgun Roster. :confused:

I know they can be bought because I've seen them in my LGS's cabinets.

JAGGUY
08-19-2012, 4:05 PM
I've thought about getting one of these... but what am I missing here? I can't find them on the CA Handgun Roster. :confused:

I know they can be bought because I've seen them in my LGS's cabinets.

Roster not required for single action revolver...

Chaos47
08-19-2012, 5:00 PM
Held one the other week and for the price they are pretty nice.
Doesn't have the fit and finish that a Colt Frontier Scout or a Ruger Single has.
But you are paying 125-200 depending on the model compared to $500-600 for the nicer brands.

It would make a great "beater" gun and sounds like it would be great for your intentions.

I do not have any first hand experience shooting it but since its a revolver I would think it would not have any issues firing blanks or even snake shot for example. Where as a semi auto may have trouble with these loads because of the crimping or shot cup or cycling due to lower power.

I am sure you know but it never hurts to remind some one:
Follow safety rules even when using blanks!
And never keep live ammo near it or out when using it in this capacity.

dangerranger
08-19-2012, 5:05 PM
The RR will be fine to start horses with. I started mine with just empty primed cases. Then I moved on to empty primed 45 cases, and then to BP loads. The 22 pistol will only be useful for the first couple of days of training. The biggest savings you will get will be from getting your own hand primer and making your own blanks. If you are interested in making your own blanks you will need to drill out the priming hole to keep the primers from backing out and locking up your guns. If you are at all interested in mounted shooting get a pair of 45 colts. They are required for the sport. The match ammo is provided by the match director, and they only provide 45 colt. Good luck, Its a great sport but hold on to your wallet! DR

grnt
08-19-2012, 5:34 PM
They are great shooters

Izzy43
08-19-2012, 6:07 PM
They are great shooters

:iagree: I've owned mine for 3 weeks and already have 1000 rounds down the tube. Great fun shooting single action revolvers in any caliber. These RR's are pretty darn accurate as well.

chknlyps2
08-19-2012, 6:18 PM
:iagree: I've owned mine for 3 weeks and already have 1000 rounds down the tube. Great fun shooting single action revolvers in any caliber. These RR's are pretty darn accurate as well.

Thats some time through a single action, did you get the magnum cylinder with yours?

Izzy43
08-19-2012, 6:26 PM
Thats some time through a single action, did you get the magnum cylinder with yours?

Yes, got the magnum cylinder as well. She's darn accurate with the magnum to 50yds. Mine has the adjustable sights, front and rear are fiber optic. Great sight picture. Gonna get the 4.5" model .22lr/.22wmr combo with iron sights next. Just gotta wait 30 days since the last purchase. Great guns IMO.

chknlyps2
08-19-2012, 6:53 PM
Yes, got the magnum cylinder as well. She's darn accurate with the magnum to 50yds. Mine has the adjustable sights, front and rear are fiber optic. Great sight picture. Gonna get the 4.5" model .22lr/.22wmr combo with iron sights next. Just gotta wait 30 days since the last purchase. Great guns IMO.

I got mine from Turners and they had to hold it till my 30 days were up, got mine last year when they were on sale, same model as yours. I like it!

2nab
08-20-2012, 2:36 PM
I like the SA Heritage 22. I have fired blanks through mine with no problem and when I didn't have blanks I pulled the pellet off of some Super Colibri rounds (primer only) and they work the same but quieter than the blanks.