PDA

View Full Version : Yolo Sportsman Association

Wizard99
06-17-2007, 7:03 PM
Does anybody shoot there. I drove by there with the wife and kids yesterday just to find where its at. Looks fairly nice. Are the OLL friendly? What are there rates? Any info appreciated.

Thanks

Lohse
06-24-2007, 2:52 PM
I used to go there a bit when I lived in Davis. It's fairly cheap. They're OLL friendly. Just obey the range officer and everything will go smoothly. I think it's only $5 to shoot there if you're not a member and $1 for a target. A membership is $40 a year I think. Then you can shoot there for $1 each time. Trap and Skeet are something like $4.25 if you're a member and $5.25 if you're not.

45R
06-24-2007, 9:14 PM
Just don't piss Jeff off :43:

wayoutwest
06-24-2007, 10:35 PM
Its a nice friendly range, dont shoot buck shot on the 7yd range.

I havent had any problems with my OLL AR or AK. I was asked to lock open the bolt on my AK when it was on the rack though.

My family pass was $45 and a buck each trip for 2 targets and you can spend the day there.

RobG
06-25-2007, 8:46 PM
I was gonna bring my 7 y.o. out for his first time on a .22 rifle. Any problem with his age on the rifle range?

Is there a place on the range for 00 buck?

Thanks

Wizard99
06-28-2007, 10:48 AM
Thanks for the info guys.
I'll have to go out there in the next couple of weeks while the wife and kids are in Utah.

timmy8151
06-28-2007, 1:01 PM
I used to be a member of YSA when I was going to school in Davis. I really enjoyed shooting there and thought staff was friendly. As posted above follow all the range rules and dont piss off Jeff.

tygerpaw
06-28-2007, 6:04 PM
They dont care what you shoot as long as you dont shoot too fast. Jeff is a really cool guy, just follow the rules. He'll help you sight in or help with any problems you may be having. He just has zero tolerance. Which is good and safe. If you bring your 7 year old, just make sure you stay with him and pay attention. YSA is a great place.

redneckshootist
06-28-2007, 6:21 PM
I am a member of the YSA range and they are cool and friendly, just don't piss off Jeff. They are OLL friendly too. Don't go on Sunday's and Saturday afternoon though, nothing but bad stuff happens on Sunday and Saturday. Wend. through Fri. you will most likley get the range to yourself.

I am in woodland let me know when you go and mabey I can go with you.

PatrickM.
06-29-2007, 2:59 AM
I used to shoot there a lot when I was attending UC Davis.

it was very laid back and if you followed all of the range rules, the range officers would come over a talk gun talk with you.

BigAl (a fellow calguns member) used to drive up from Berekely just to have a BBQ and the excuse to go shoot at YSA

I just wish i became a member...I hated paying $5 every time I wanted to go shooting

Patrick M.

sargenv
06-29-2007, 8:14 AM
If you are interested in shooting IPSC/USPSA pistol, they have a match on the second sunday of the month starting around 9am. John Hartsock is the range master on that specific range and can be found there usually a bit early. The action range is on the left side of the club (opposite the pond) through a steel gate. I usually shoot there but lately I've been too busy to make it up there.

RobG
07-26-2007, 1:33 PM
Just got back, second time there. It is a great place to shoot. Friendly towards my boy (7), oll friendly, just an overall good time. If Jeff is the long haired guy, he is very cool. He was talking to my son about how well he was shooting and all the "dead squirrels" he would have bagged. The young guy with dreads inside is also very friendly especially towards the kids. It does get hot with the early morning sun beaming down but, thats the only "bad" part. :punk:

redneckshootist
07-26-2007, 3:53 PM
Just got back, second time there. It is a great place to shoot. Friendly towards my boy (7), oll friendly, just an overall good time. If Jeff is the long haired guy, he is very cool. He was talking to my son about how well he was shooting and all the "dead squirrels" he would have bagged. The young guy with dreads inside is also very friendly especially towards the kids. It does get hot with the early morning sun beaming down but, thats the only "bad" part. :punk:

Jeff is the RO with the long hair the kid with the dreads is Jeff son. you obviously didn't make him mad.;) he is a real cool guy but has no tolerance when you break the rules. It just shows you either followed the rules or you didn't get caught.

I will be there on Saturday about mid morning to sight in a couple of rifles in prep for a squirrel hunt.

gloxter
07-26-2007, 9:21 PM
Is YSA 50BMG friendly??????????

PM me if they are, as I'll probably forget about my question in a day or two. Thanks guys.

RobG
07-27-2007, 10:07 AM
Just wish to GOD they had beyond 100 yds
I'll second that. The closest long range (300yd) I know of is Sac Valley which is a whole day event coming from FF.

JayDeeSacramento
08-11-2008, 4:27 PM
I taught a friend of mine how to shoot some hunting rifles and revolvers there on Saturday evening and I sighted in my .243. I wouldn't say they were the friendliest folks but it seemed pretty well maintained and it was close to home. The rangemaster was helpful.

It is a little strange to have skydivers coming down 50 feet over the 100 yard range though.

I'll probably go get a membership next year. I hate shooting indoors.

tiko
08-11-2008, 11:04 PM
Could you friends show me the way to YSA, their website is hard to get, I try to use mapquest, they ask for street number! Thank you.

heyjak
08-11-2008, 11:14 PM
YSA is a GREAT place to shoot. Here's the trick to finding their website:

use http://www.yolosportsmen.org/ (not sportsmen"s")

Annual membership is CHEAP! Rangemaster Jeff can be tough, but He's SAFE!

wolf13
08-12-2008, 12:16 PM
Love the place and its kept safe by Jeff. Everybody is laid back, and if you go at the right times, you can have the whole place to yourself. If you go during the week, and early there will be a couple people there just hanging out and talking. I'll be getting a membership in Sept when I transfer to Davis.

uscbigdawg
08-12-2008, 12:23 PM
Like others, YSA is awesome. I've been going there since I shot my first 22 (about 25 years ago when Jeff was a youngster and Lee was the RO). A great club to shoot shotgun and if you like action shooting, there are few places that are more welcoming to new folks. Yeah, the rifle range only goes to 100, but I've won a lot of 3-Gun matches with just working the fundamentals on that "little" range.

Rich

renardsubtil
10-09-2008, 12:14 PM
Kinda weird question but does anyone recall what type of station setup they have here? I wanted to try a simple sitting stance with my M1 Garand and was wondering if they allowed this at this range.

My local range (Livermore Rod and Gun) has stations with table/chair setups which obviously makes this impossible.

thanks!

sactime
10-11-2008, 12:31 AM
Very nice range. The RO's will also help you sight in your guns if you are having trouble.

unamused
08-27-2009, 2:47 PM
... i know this is an old thread but their website is down... im assuming the range itself is fine still?

Sac valley shooting center is too far for me though id eventually want to try it out... I just got a new optic so i just want to get a few rounds down range and try it out.

sactime
08-29-2009, 6:50 PM
... i know this is an old thread but their website is down... im assuming the range itself is fine still?

Sac valley shooting center is too far for me though id eventually want to try it out... I just got a new optic so i just want to get a few rounds down range and try it out.

Yes the range is still there. I was there 2 weeks ago. $8/person includes 2 targets.

OLL friendly.

Wed-Sunday 10am-7pm from what I remember.

AngryPossum
09-03-2009, 3:50 PM
I was there for the first time a couple weeks ago. My father and I were 2 of 3 people in the Rifle range from about 2-4:30 on a friday....It was nice. There was no range master...we all governed ourselves and got along just fine. I'm living in Woodland and will definetly become a member in the future. They are also recognized by CMP, so if you're a member you can order from CMP. Great Range I just wish they had a 200yd Rifle range.....

CircleTheWagons
04-09-2010, 9:14 PM
Yolo is Awsome , Jeff is a cool guy. Still There, They have permanant tables but you can shoot from whichever position you want to. Was the last weekend and had a blast. Super safe place to shoot and great people.

Just don't pull the ******* card when somebody tries to talk with you or give you some pointers. And yes follow the rules they are there to save lives!

bertdigity
09-02-2010, 12:32 AM
great place. I'm a member so i try to drop by every other week to put a couple hundred rounds thru my handgun and a round or 2 of trap. Really cheap if your a member. $2 to use the range and $4 per round of trap (25-27 clays). I see all ages there and all types of guns. Someone was firing a muzzleloader the other day. Very cool.