PDA

View Full Version : Inherited Ruger SR556...

Superhero
08-18-2012, 10:52 PM
I recently inherited a stock SR556. I'm currently in the state the previous owner kept it, but I want to bring it into CA.

I have found lots about building up a legal AR type rifle in CA, but not about bringing one into the state. Is it even legal to bring it in at all?

I know I'll at least need a bullet button and something like that Monstergrip.

Are the 30 round magpul magazines legal to have at all in the state, even if not being used?

I looked at the flowchart, and it looks like I might be legal with a 10 round mag and the correct mods. Would I need to remove the flashhider?

Thanks!

Chaos47
08-18-2012, 11:10 PM
Welcome to Calguns!

Yes it will need a magazine lock or it will have to be featureless to be CA legal..

Featureless is not as easy as throwing on a monsterman!

A Featureless Rifle can not have any of the following:
Pistol Grip.
Thumbhole stock.
Folding or telescoping stock.
Grenade launcher or flare launcher.
Flash suppressor.
Forward pistol grip.

https://sites.google.com/site/featurelessrifleguide/

SR556 I have seen have pistol grips, telescoping stocks and flash hiders.
That is a lot of things you need to change before it is CA legal.

So a magazine lock might be a better option for now as they can have any and all features including a pistol grip and flash hider.

Magazines:
No, you can not just bring them into the state even if you don't use them. That would be importation, which is illegal.

You can bring them into the state dissembled but you can not put them back together without blocking them to 10 rounds. That would be manufacturing, which is illegal.

As for taking possession of it:
Normally you are not able to buy a firearm in a state other then your own.
For inheritance I am not sure. Someone will be along shortly that does know.

Paging Librarian!

zod
08-18-2012, 11:35 PM
Welcome aboard.

Superhero
08-19-2012, 12:11 AM
Thanks for the info!

A maglock is definitely the way to go then. I was hoping to avoid changing the rifle and that is a great solution.

So I gotta take my 30 round mags apart and leave them apart unless I take them back out of the state? That's annoying.

Now to figure out how to legally bring the rifle into CA.

Welcome to Calguns!

Yes it will need a magazine lock or it will have to be featureless to be CA legal..

Featureless is not as easy as throwing on a monsterman!

A Featureless Rifle can not have any of the following:
Pistol Grip.
Thumbhole stock.
Folding or telescoping stock.
Grenade launcher or flare launcher.
Flash suppressor.
Forward pistol grip.

https://sites.google.com/site/featurelessrifleguide/

SR556 I have seen have pistol grips, telescoping stocks and flash hiders.
That is a lot of things you need to change before it is CA legal.

So a magazine lock might be a better option for now as they can have any and all features including a pistol grip and flash hider.

Magazines:
No, you can not just bring them into the state even if you don't use them. That would be importation, which is illegal.

You can bring them into the state dissembled but you can not put them back together without blocking them to 10 rounds. That would be manufacturing, which is illegal.

As for taking possession of it:
Normally you are not able to buy a firearm in a state other then your own.
For inheritance I am not sure. Someone will be along shortly that does know.

Paging Librarian!

Chaos47
08-19-2012, 12:18 AM
That or you can block them to 10 rounds which the law states must be "permanent" but does not tell you what permanent means. Most people use rivets or epoxy...

You can make your own blocks or use something like this
https://www.exilemachine.net/shop/magblock-universal-magazine-block-287.html

h0use
08-19-2012, 12:18 AM
Welcome

bsg
08-19-2012, 12:28 AM
welcome to the forum.

Chaos47
08-19-2012, 2:49 AM
According to this thread you are good to go on the transfer part!
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?p=9160212#post9160212
http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/Inheriting_firearms,_both_within_California_and_In terstate

Make it CA legal, dissemble the magazines and you are good to go on bringing it into CA!
Hope this helps!

TATER313
08-19-2012, 5:39 AM
Welcome

1000stars
08-19-2012, 6:21 AM
Welcome

den888
08-19-2012, 7:46 AM
Welcome!

SoCal Bob
08-19-2012, 8:28 AM
Welcome to Calguns.

NastyNate
08-19-2012, 10:37 AM
Welcome!

BlackTydeTactical
08-19-2012, 10:40 AM
Welcome aboard!

rromeo
08-19-2012, 10:49 AM
Are you a CA resident, or a resident of the state where the rifle is?
If this is a true inheritance, then it doesn't matter. If it's a case of "an uncle died and my aunt asked if I want his guns" then that's different and would need an FFL transfer in CA. If you're in the will as being the recipient, then grab the gun, configure it as legal, and bring it to California.

frankDmole
08-19-2012, 11:52 AM
Welcome to CalGuns.

socalpistolero
08-19-2012, 1:46 PM
welcome.

Superhero
08-20-2012, 9:41 AM
lol That's almost exactly the case. My father-in-law died, and my mother-in-law basically handed the rifle over to my wife and I. We are currently in the state (MS) where the rifle was purchased, but not for much longer. We'll be back in CA by spring of 2013. It was puchased in my mother-in-law's name and is still in her name. I carry a CA driver's license and should still be a resident. I'm only here in MS to settle affairs then it's straight home. I'll be here less than 10 months, probably closer to 5 or 6.

If I were to have her transfer the rifle to my name before I leave for CA would I still have to do a FFL transfer?

Will I need to let the authorities know that I have the rifle? Or, can I just make it CA legal and keep it to myself?

While I'm at it, I have a compact Ruger .380, a couple of shotguns, a S&W .38 revolver, two antique pearl handled .22LR revolvers and a few airguns. We kept left these with her dad to avoid the hassle of owning firearms in CA but, considering no one is here to take care of them any longer, we've decided to bring them all with us. Will I need to register those weapons or anything? I'm also bringing a gun safe back to CA, also an inheritance...

Thanks again for all welcomes and information. :D

Are you a CA resident, or a resident of the state where the rifle is?
If this is a true inheritance, then it doesn't matter. If it's a case of "an uncle died and my aunt asked if I want his guns" then that's different and would need an FFL transfer in CA. If you're in the will as being the recipient, then grab the gun, configure it as legal, and bring it to California.

socal147
08-20-2012, 3:42 PM
Welcome to Calguns.

Wicked Pete
08-20-2012, 6:47 PM
Welcome Superhero. There are so many laws around here (CA), it's tough to keep track. With some reading you'll find the answers you need.

GladiatorTactical
08-22-2012, 6:53 PM
Welcome To CALGUNS !! :D

INJUNTOM
08-23-2012, 2:05 PM
Welcome aboard

Superhero
09-02-2012, 11:38 AM
Yeah I see that Pete... I'll figure it out I'm sure.

Now to figure out where I am and am not allowed to shoot. Where I'm at now I can walk out onto my porch and starting shooting...