PDA

View Full Version : Moving to CA thread ?

snook135
08-18-2012, 10:42 PM
In a few weeks ill be on my journey to CA. I do have NFA items that CA won't allow... My questions if I separate the lower from the receiver can I take the non NFA upper into the state?

Since this Machine Gun was made in 1986 can I store my hi cap 32round mags at home in CA?

My plan is to store only the lower and my suppressors in Nevada.

My set up is a m-11/9 with Lage max-11 upper....

Rbutler
08-18-2012, 10:50 PM
dont quote me but i beileve as long as the upper has more then a 16" barrel you are good.
The mags i was told had to be in cali before 1986 and it is thier (LEO) responsibility to prove it wasnt. You can always just disassemble them and bring them in no prob. Is the lower the NFA item if not and its not on the list, just throw a BB/MM grip on it and you should be good.

Chaos47
08-18-2012, 11:18 PM
If you did not have possession of the magazines in California prior to the ban then no you can not bring them into the state. Unless they are dissembled, and not put back together again unless they are blocked to 10 rounds. Importation and manufacturing are both illegal.

You can probably have the upper in the state.
The when it comes to rifles the AWB applies to semi automatic centerfire rifles, without a lower it is not a semi automatic centerfire rifles.
Separate law limits NFA items from coming into the state.

Edit: Just looked up m-11/9 with Lage max-11 upper is this a pistol or a rifle?
There are different rules for what an assault weapon is is CA if it is a pistol or rifle.
If its a pistol then having a threaded barrel is an issue..

Also its not any of these right?
(3) The following MAC types:
(A) RPB Industries Inc. sM10 and M11.
(B) SWD Incorporated M-11.
(C) Advance Armament Inc. M-11.
(D) Military Armament Corp. Ingram M-11.

snook135
08-19-2012, 7:47 AM
It is not a pistol or a rifle, it is classified as a Machine Gun. It is a SWD M-11/9 , but wouldn't the upper that is aftermarket just be considered parts?

Librarian
08-19-2012, 12:19 PM
It is not a pistol or a rifle, it is classified as a Machine Gun. It is a SWD M-11/9 , but wouldn't the upper that is aftermarket just be considered parts?

It does seem that the upper would be 'just parts'. Since I'm not familiar with the gun 'in the flesh', as it were, I'm relying on http://www.mac-11.net/fcg.htm

But what would be the point of bringing the uppers? You'd have to get a Cobray/Mac semi-auto lower that fits the upper, and get 10-round mags (or convert 32s to 10/32). If the resulting gun also had a shoulder stock, probably it would be classified as a 'rifle', and might further need a magazine lock to avoid being a CA 'assault weapon'.

snook135
08-19-2012, 4:42 PM
With a machine gun, it's just a machine gun. It can't be a SBR or AOW. So adding a stock, forward grip or short barrel, doesn't matter, per the NFA.

The reason I woukd like to bring the upper, is I would be storing the lower in Reno, I would like to keep the parts separate.

I do plan on driving to Reno now and then to play with the NFA toys I will store, but wondering the legalities if I'm pulled over with that upper in my car in transit to Reno...

blazeaglory
08-19-2012, 4:48 PM
Just gun lock the lower and keep them both in a safe. It doesnt make any sense to tote the upper along with you everywhere. Unless you just want to show off your machine gun upper..lol

Chaos47
08-19-2012, 5:29 PM
With a machine gun, it's just a machine gun. It can't be a SBR or AOW. So adding a stock, forward grip or short barrel, doesn't matter, per the NFA.

The reason I woukd like to bring the upper, is I would be storing the lower in Reno, I would like to keep the parts separate.

I do plan on driving to Reno now and then to play with the NFA toys I will store, but wondering the legalities if I'm pulled over with that upper in my car in transit to Reno...

We understand that it is a Machinegun per NFA.
Problem is in CA features matter.
And the which features matter changes by it being a rifle or pistol.

I am guessing it has a short barrel and is threaded? Threaded barrels on a pistol in CA make it an illegal assault weapon...

But since its just an upper it should be "just parts" if it is not attached to anything...

The lower is the serialized part that is "the firearm" right?

snook135
08-19-2012, 5:58 PM
Yeah the above is correct. I just might Leave it all stored together. Probally easier that way.