View Full Version : Which wilson combat trigger for 1911?

08-18-2012, 7:48 PM
I just got my first 1911 (Rock Island tactical) and I was reasearching wilson combat triggers. I noticed there were some with long, medium and short pads. How do I know which one for my gun? Is it based off the size of your firearm? (compact with short pad, tactical with long, etc?)

Press Check
08-18-2012, 8:04 PM
The pad length is matter of personal preference, and partly based on the size of your hand, but you need to have the trigger fit to your pistol. Not hard to do, but you need to know what you're doing, so you might want to consider a drop-in trigger from another manufacturer.

08-18-2012, 8:05 PM
Short trigger

Long trigger

Press Check
08-18-2012, 8:24 PM
Also, if you can manage to detail strip your pistol and measure the pad height and stirrup width, you can determine if the Wilson trigger will drop into your frame. The pad height on the Wilson Ultralight Match trigger that I purchased was .920, as specified on their website.

The pad height on my Springfield trigger was .915, but the Wilson trigger still dropped into my frame, which was disappointing because I anticipated fitting it myself. I still have about .005 of vertical play between my pad and frame.

What Wilson does not provide is the stirrup width because they vary. The stirrup width on my Springfield trigger was .620, and the stirrup width on the Ultralight Match trigger was .615, which left plenty of room for custom fitment. Polished the frame tracks with a trigger track stone, polished the stirrup with a hard arkansas, and widened the stirrup to .625 with a stirrup die. Awesome fitment, and extremely smooth pull within the frame track.

08-18-2012, 8:27 PM
Of the 9 wilson triggers (http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Triggers/products/97/), except for the gold cup (190G & 190G-NH), all will work.

Aluminum trigger will be a nice upgrade to the steel trigger ria uses http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/images/icons/icon14.gif.
I am partial to flat triggers (Caspian Trik) just a recommendations :D

08-18-2012, 8:49 PM
thanks for the answers guys. I will do a bit more research before I bite the bullet on any upgrades like this. Need to make sure I know what i'm doing! :P

08-18-2012, 9:13 PM
It's all about the size of your hand and the length of your fingers. Most 1911A1 style pistols come with long triggers, a humped mainspring housing (backstrap) and standard thickness grip panels because it was assumed that the average soldier would have medium to large hands. I have smallish man hands with stubby fingers so the first thing I do is replace the grip panels with slim grips and the mainspring housing with a flat one. Replacing the trigger isn't rocket science but it's probably not a great choice for first project.

The first thing you'll want to do is decide of the pistol fits your hand well and how well you can reach the trigger. The only reason to change anything is if it doesn't fit you. What you don't want to do on your own is lighten the trigger pull. That's something that takes a ton of experience.

My personal preference is for triggers with a bit of take-up adjustment tabs like the STI below but I'd study up before attempting to use the adjustments tabs.