PDA

View Full Version : I brought another win to our side!

Bigtwin
08-18-2012, 7:19 PM
I went to the range today with a friends daughter in tow! After a day of shooting handguns and rifles, she is now looking to buy her own as soon as she can afford to do so!

I did the right thing and educated her about firearm safety and started her off with rimfire. She loved it.
Slowly worked her up the calibers when she said she was comfortable with it. From .22 to .380acp, to .38spcl to .40s&w(that was where she stopped, she did not care for it....I saw that coming), then to the rifle range where she fell in love with the scoped 10/22. She did not go up in caliber from there but said she now wants a .22 rifle.

Just like fishing, you take a new person fishing....if they don't catch a fish they may not like fishing. You take a new person shooting and they can't see the results, they may not like shooting.

She saw the results and liked it. Mind you she is 27 I am 33(this trip was her birthday present from me), she has never shot a firearm before(wierd sence her father has more guns than I do, but never shoots them any more, I will work on him too), she shot extremely well.

One more person on our side is how I see it!

deviljon
08-18-2012, 7:28 PM
Pics of 27 year old or it didn't happen...

JK! That's always great to hear. I've finally convinced my gf to have more interest in shooting. I have the greenlight to build her a rifle from "spare parts".

CK_32
08-18-2012, 7:38 PM
Lol^

Nice always glad to see women shooters coming in.. Accept when you see them with their idiot boyfriends and his retarded friends treating the guns like airsoft and all first time shooters..

SkyMag68
08-18-2012, 7:51 PM
Lol^

Nice always glad to see women shooters coming in.. Accept when you see them with their idiot boyfriends and his retarded friends treating the guns like airsoft and all first time shooters..

That's when you have to step in and speak up about guns safety.

Bigtwin
08-18-2012, 7:52 PM
Pics of 27 year old or it didn't happen...

JK! That's always great to hear. I've finally convinced my gf to have more interest in shooting. I have the greenlight to build her a rifle from "spare parts".

Sorry the pics are on her camera(yes there were many pics) the smile on her face was priceless!

She loved the same guns my wife does.

Lol^

I agree that is why I eased her up in caliber. It makes me sick when *******s think it is funny to give a new shooter a hand cannon for the first time out shooting and laugh at the results!

Bangzoom
08-18-2012, 7:54 PM
My neighbor always seemed a bit "Liberal" so when he said he was going to Vegas with his 13 yr old son I talked to him about taking his son to a Vegas shooting range...he was kinda reluctant but I convinced him its best his son learns about guns so he can respect them...well....they went and had a great time...now he wants to go with me to the range and his son wants to try bigger guns....2 more on our team

SilverTauron
08-18-2012, 8:29 PM
Bravo. This is how the malaise in CA will be corrected ,one convert at a time.

Capybara
08-19-2012, 8:54 AM
You guys all rock! That is how the war is won, convert them to the lifestyle.

bsg
08-19-2012, 9:08 PM
good job, and happy birthday to your friend's daughter.

drdarkness
08-19-2012, 9:50 PM
I say we start a fund raiser to help her get her first gun,I'm in for 20 bucks. Can anyone think of a better birthday present for a new shooter?

CGT80
08-21-2012, 12:01 PM
I like to give newer shooters my hand cannon loaded with 600fps 45lc hand loads. They laugh and get a big smile when they realize that it can be fun and easy to shoot under the right circumstances. Many people thing a big gun is always hard to handle and not good for much. Of course the morons who give a newbie the same gun with a 2200 fps load don't help matters. You don't have to drive a Corvette at 200 mph to enjoy it.

I would love to get some more new shooters out there. I would do the same as the OP, start small and work up. I actually tried out some light hand loads for my 1926 30-06 bolt action rifle, last weekend. A 150 grain jacketed bullet at 1200 fps had just a tad more recoil than my mini14 target model. I could shoot those all day. The full power loads don't thrill me as much as they did when I was a teen. It would be a great way for the newer shooters to enjoy some of the bigger guns that can pack a punch at full power. I think it is important to show a new shooter that they can have fun with many of the guns out there, and that there are limitless possibilities. I also think it is important to show them what guns are capable of. Fire off that monster load with them standing next to you, so that they know the potential of the weapon. Take the fear out of using guns. Explain to the new people, that they too can handle just about any gun once they have the proper training and experience.