PDA

View Full Version : ATI top folder any good?

mossy
08-18-2012, 4:47 PM
i want a folding stock for my mossberg 500 is the ATI any good? i had problems with the knoxx top folder and had to send it back, the cuts in the knoxx are not deep enough and left a large gap and wobbled like crazy. so please dont recomend anything made by knoxx.

tacticalcity
08-18-2012, 4:59 PM
While I sell them, and make money off them, and are very glad other people like them I personally would not use them. Avoid the cool looking tactical stuff. Avoid the folding stuff. I personally prefer the 12" LOP Hogue stocks. The sorter length makes them better for actual tactical use and getting around corners and walls. Most importantly they are stable and work flawlessly. No wobbles. No failure points. While there is lots of stuff that looks cool, but in reality have a laundry list of pit falls. If you prefer a longer LOP then just keep using the factory stock. It may not be the fanciest thing in the world, but it works right.

CZ9
08-18-2012, 4:59 PM
I had one for a few months, it gets loose after a while and gets annoying. I did like how it was folded up though, but overall I would not suggest it. I now have the standard mossberg stock on mine and I swap between that and the factory pistol grip when I want to make my hand hurt lol.

mossy
08-18-2012, 5:07 PM
ok what about the ATI pistol grip stock (it uses the stock bolt that came with the standard stock)? a pistol grip is a must on my HD gun, i just dont like the PGO style.

blasterboy
08-18-2012, 5:14 PM
Some guys don't like them, other guys do. I have several variations of "tactical" stocks for my shotguns. My favorite is the ATI for MB500. That being said, here is what you need to do. File down the sharp injection molding edges wherever your skin is going to contact it-especially the cheek weld. It may even be worth it to put some rubber pad along the cheek weld portion. Remember that the purpose of an ATI folding stock is so you can store it compactly for emergencies, it isn't mean for use when spending a day at the skeet range. I store mine in a baseball bag and it has a tac star side saddle and an ATI ammo carrier so that total on the gun is 11 rounds. I also keep a small bag of 25 rounds in the baseball separate section of the bag (tennis bags work to but look like kinda funny) Some guys like to put extra padding on the folding butt plate but it doesn't bother me. If you don't like lots of cheek weld time when firing then go for a magazine mounted laser and light combo- shoulder it but don't cheek it. I love it and all my sons have done the same to theirs (be it winchester or remington 870).

prc77
08-18-2012, 5:22 PM
I truly believe that every ATI shotgun accessory is crap.

Hispanic_Hercules
08-19-2012, 12:10 AM
I had one on my mossberg 500 persuader. It was a good stock for the price although you have to tighten up the butt end of it from time to time. It absorbs the recoil decently and felt good in the open position.

The only downfall I found on it was when folded up in the pistol grip position, you have no access to the safety as it is hindered under the stock.

I added the ati side saddle onto the stock, but also riveted an additional saddle onto it as well.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b47/techna04r1/SAM_0121.jpg
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b47/techna04r1/SAM_0116.jpg

-hanko
08-19-2012, 8:47 AM
I truly believe that every ATI shotgun accessory is crap.
^This

ATI = TAPCO :D

-hanko

prc77
08-19-2012, 9:45 AM
I had one on my mossberg 500 persuader. It was a good stock for the price although you have to tighten up the butt end of it from time to time. It absorbs the recoil decently and felt good in the open position.

The only downfall I found on it was when folded up in the pistol grip position, you have no access to the safety as it is hindered under the stock.

I added the ati side saddle onto the stock, but also riveted an additional saddle onto it as well.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b47/techna04r1/SAM_0121.jpg
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b47/techna04r1/SAM_0116.jpg

Run your current setup at any Fighting Shotgun Class. I'm sure you will make some changes.

CZ9
08-19-2012, 10:41 AM
ok what about the ATI pistol grip stock (it uses the stock bolt that came with the standard stock)?.

I have one of those too, It's not too bad, but for whatever reason it seems to smack my cheek a lot.... not sure why, just how it was made I guess. I really like how it looks on there though, but after spending so much on stocks, the old factory stock feels the best for me.