PDA

View Full Version : Can you borrow your spouse's handgun??

Rimfire123
08-18-2012, 5:01 PM
Can you borrow your spouse's hand gun? By borrow I mean can you take it to the range by yourself to shoot? And if cop stops you, will it be a hassle as its not registered on your name?

Assuming that the borrower can legally own guns.

Thanks

DEPUTYBILL
08-18-2012, 5:08 PM
I think you can borrow a firearm for up to thirty days?

novabrian
08-18-2012, 5:09 PM
HAHA I thought you were gonna say something else.

Rimfire123
08-18-2012, 5:14 PM
HAHA I thought you were gonna say something else.

Like what?

random name
08-18-2012, 5:30 PM
Would you need to have you HSC?

Sticka
08-18-2012, 5:36 PM
yes you need your HSC

CK_32
08-18-2012, 5:39 PM
You can borrow anyones gun as long as you have their concent and no legal issues having one on your person. And you will probably need a HSC

CSACANNONEER
08-18-2012, 5:40 PM
You can borrow a non-registered AW from anyone, for up to 30 days if you can legally recieve that firearm. You can not borrow a registered AW unless, the registered owner is present at all times.

random name
08-18-2012, 5:47 PM
The only reason a cop would would give you trouble is if it has pink grips.

Rimfire123
08-18-2012, 6:56 PM
You can borrow a non-registered AW from anyone, for up to 30 days if you can legally recieve that firearm. You can not borrow a registered AW unless, the registered owner is present at all times.

So you cannot borrow a handgun, as its registered?

Thanks

CSACANNONEER
08-18-2012, 7:03 PM
So you cannot borrow a handgun, as its registered?

Thanks

Registered AWs are different than non AWs which are only registered at time of transfer, importation or by the vol reg form. If it's not a RAW, it's fine.

.45 ftw!
08-18-2012, 7:06 PM
You don't need your HSC unless you are purchasing a gun.

Oceanbob
08-18-2012, 7:12 PM
Sure you can borrow your wifes handgun. It doesn't matter if the gun is registered or not. You can own unregistered handguns in this State.

As long as the weapon is not stolen, the Police will have no issues.

You can take it to the range; on a hunting trip, anywhere you desire (legal areas).

CSACANNONEER
08-18-2012, 8:00 PM
You don't need your HSC unless you are purchasing a gun.

You need a HSC card if you are aquiring a handgun period. Accepting one as a loan would be aquring one for a limited period.

Rimfire123
08-18-2012, 8:23 PM
So if cop stops you with a loaner, they will ask for HSC?

Thanks

.45 ftw!
08-18-2012, 8:29 PM
No way on Earth would a LEO ask for that. He might check to see if it's stolen. And he'll check if you are someone who is lawfully allowed to posses it.

AlbcAlbrr
08-18-2012, 8:57 PM
Silly me, but how is a LEO going to know there is a gun in the car?

Shouldn't it be unloaded, in a locked container out of sight?

.45 ftw!
08-18-2012, 9:03 PM
not to thread jack, but it is even really a "loaner" if it belongs to your spouse? I take my wife's .22 to the range sometimes.
If I ever got stopped,
and was asked if I had a gun,
I would reply in the affirmative,
And, if asked, would say it's mine.
And personally, I wouldn't consider that a lie for even a second.

.45 ftw!
08-18-2012, 9:08 PM
You need a HSC card if you are aquiring a handgun period. Accepting one as a loan would be aquring one for a limited period.

Roger that. I thought he was asking if he would need to bring his card to the range with him.

Rimfire123
08-18-2012, 9:33 PM
not to thread jack, but it is even really a "loaner" if it belongs to your spouse? I take my wife's .22 to the range sometimes.
If I ever got stopped,
and was asked if I had a gun,
I would reply in the affirmative,
And, if asked, would say it's mine.
And personally, I wouldn't consider that a lie for even a second.

I heard from a FFl that if it belongs to your spouse its community property and yes, as you mentioned it's your by all means even though it's registered to your wife.

But want to make sure that is true.

Thanks

The Original Godfather
08-18-2012, 9:44 PM
I heard from a FFl that if it belongs to your spouse its community property and yes, as you mentioned it's your by all means even though it's registered to your wife.

Thanks

He never said his wife registered the gun under her name or at all.

The only time it would show the owners info is at DROS, and to my understanding that information is tossed out after a certain period of time.

So, really, he could say it's his or his wife's gun and there would be now way of knowing since the gun is unregistered, no? Even if my wife registered a gun under her name, I would consider it mine, too.

Rimfire123
08-18-2012, 9:50 PM
Is it true the information is discarded from DOJ records after 7 years?

Librarian
08-19-2012, 1:22 AM

Thanks

Community property and gun law have no obvious intersection. With the exception of the registration for 'assault weapons', the registration-like record keeping records what is submitted for handguns in DROS. So far as I am aware, there is room for only one buyer, therefore only one 'registered' owner.

DROS information for handguns is kept forever. It isn't all on-line because a lot of the records are paper and have not all been entered into the database.

One can lend a gun to anyone legally able to possess one - if you wife wants to lend you one of her guns, accept the loan and don't worry about it.