PDA

View Full Version : Newbe Scope question.

Occams Rasor
08-18-2012, 1:27 PM
I have a Ruger 1022 takedown model that I would like to add a scope to and still fit into the bag. The best choice seems to be a Tactical 3-9x32 that is only 8" long. A conventional scope same specs, is 12" long. I don't know anything about
tactical scopes. My concern is the eye relief seems to be the same as conventional and I don't see how it will mount back far enough on the rails.
So what am I missing? Besides length and cost what is the difference between a
tactical and conventional scope?
Any advice, greatly appreciated.

socal147
08-21-2012, 1:56 PM
I put a Luepold VX 1x4x32 on my 10/22. Enough power for the 22 and great eye relief. Cost was not really a factor as much as fitting the scope to the usage.

I will probably be buying a Leupold FX-II Rifle Scope 4x33 or 6x36mm LR Duplex for my Volquartsen 22 WSM. I really like the fixed power scopes. 6x is plenty of power for 300 yard shots. 4x is great for anything less. Simple, light, and sexy. Size is reasonable for the power involved. What more can you say.

HTH
Patrick

sholling
08-21-2012, 3:43 PM
Save up and put a decent scope on it. According to forum feedback a Leupold VX-1 1-4x28 Rimfire (10.1" long) or a FX-1 4x28 (9" long) will both fit. Buying a crappy $80 tacticool scope 3 times because it keeps breaking isn't cheaper then buying a good scope that lasts a lifetime one time.