View Full Version : Shotgun optics?

08-18-2012, 11:32 AM
I've got a Remington 887 nitro mag tactical that has a piciatinny rail on top that also doubles as a rear sight which is kind of cool. This is the first shotgun I've owned with picatinny rails. The front side rail is perfect for a weapon light which I have mounted on it. I've noticed that a new "tacticool" trend that seems to be catching on is adding an eotech or some other optic to your HD / tac shotgun. Is anyone using an optic and is there really any value to it? I suppose there could be some merit for hunting or shooting slugs.... I've shot O/U's my whole life (upland birds and clays..) so there is no need for sights... Eyes on the bird, not the barrel and all. Now that I'm jumping into the HD shotgun world, I was just wondering if I was missing some functional advantage that optics offer?

08-18-2012, 11:45 AM
Like most things it really comes down to personal preference. If you really like red dot sights, and don't care about the weight, then go for it.

I'm a fan of simple shotguns. Iron sights are just fine and more than adequate out to 100 yds...which is probably longer than what you will be using a shotgun for. I like a shell caddy and a light if it's going to be used for home defense. Don't need/want anymore weight or complexity. YMMV.

08-19-2012, 12:01 PM
I've got a Burris Fastfire II on my Winnie 1300 Defender. Works great. I've got a Tru-glo red/green dot on my Hatsan MP-A. It works great too, but I'd rather have an Aimpoint PRO which is probably next on the list.