PDA

View Full Version : Question About SB 249

Gun_Owner_901
08-18-2012, 8:10 AM
So i Signed all the petitions, sent emails and faxs to help stop SB 249, but i have a question, will SB 249 ban handguns.

FalconLair
08-18-2012, 8:18 AM
no, it has nothing to do with handguns...also, it wasn't going to ban the rifle either, just a specific feature of the rifle which had already been ruled California Compliant

Legasat
08-18-2012, 8:20 AM
Not this bill, but they will be back for those later :eek:

Gun_Owner_901
08-18-2012, 8:23 AM
Ok Thanks, also I was reading somewhere today that SB 249 has already been defeated is this true, do I still need to be worried about it, also if this bill is still alive and I were to go ahead and buy the AR-15 that I've had my eye on, will i have to turn it over down the line if the bill is passed.

Lead Waster
08-18-2012, 8:29 AM
Guys, you have to read the bill!

If you buy an AR15 now then if the bill passes, you will then have to go featureless or fix the magazine with something other than a bullet button magazine button.

CBruce
08-18-2012, 8:40 AM
SB 249 is dead, but good chance it will come back next session bigger and badder than before. I would not be surprised if the next incarnation doesn't target all semi-automatic, magazine-fed rifles. Rationally, it makes a hell of a lot more sense to ban semi-automatic handguns. It's still stupid and misguided, but at least the statistcs are there to back up that line of thinking.

So who knows, if the anti-gun people get ramped up enough, more shootings, more national focus on gun-control, members of congress using it as a talkling point, Obama starts campaigning on a renewed 'assault weapons' ban...we could very well see a CA legislator put forth a bill to ban all semi-automatic, magazine-fed firearms of all types.

That would at least be a fight worth having, IMO. Rather than dickering about 'bullet-buttons', evil "assault weapons", or bulk ammo purchases...lets get at the real root of the issue.

FalconLair
08-18-2012, 8:40 AM
the bill was postponed, not defeated...supposedly it will resurface next year but its anybodies guess as to what shape or form...go buy your AR man, don't sweat it, its a feature and mod issue, not the weapon itself

catch a YouTube video on what the bullet button is and why its considered Cal Compliant

Gun_Owner_901
08-18-2012, 4:35 PM
Ok cool guys thanks for all the info, on another note if they were to ban handguns, or if any of the other firearm laws get any worse here in California, I might really consider moving to South Dakota with relatives, Does anyone one know what's happening with the ban on open carry, I mean is it going to stick or any chance this ban is going to be lifted.