PDA

View Full Version : New Mossberg 930SPX

Eirerogue
08-18-2012, 8:52 AM
After a month of reading and pondering, I took the plunge yesterday at Turners Pasadena and bought the Mossberg 930 SPX.

First, kudos to Pam at Turners Pasadena. This lady was personable, knowledgeable and made the transaction of breeze. We often see CalGuns posts on problems with Turners, so it's nice to be able to say some good things about a great employee. The attitude within the store was light and employees were greeting potential customers warmly. It was a change from my previous visits there as a browser.

I checked out both the 930 SPX and the Blackwater version and didn't need a Blackwater logo on the sideplate and preferred the fiber optic front sights on the standard SPX vs the XS front sight on the Blackwater. I also prefer the standard stock to the pistol grip. Just a personal use preference.

I've already ordered a TR1 light, new Aimpro forend and am scouring the net for other setup desirables.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Triad
08-18-2012, 12:15 PM
Shoot about 500 rounds of high power buck and slugs down the pipe. After that you should have no problem shooting any power load through it.

I use mine as a patrol shotgun, and only added a tac-light

RudyCakes
08-18-2012, 12:41 PM
I bought one yesterday also! Almost the same configuration, too. I opted for the brass bead front sight, though. I also don't like pistol grips and was completely turned off by the Blackwater logo and the one with the door breacher muzzle. I already ordered a 24" turkey barrel for it. I'm not a big "accessorizer" but a mounted flashlight does appeal to me.
Mossbergowners forum has a whole heap of info on it. Like days worth.
I got mine at Island View Enterprises in Ventura. My first purchase from them but I'm already set that this is my new shop. $593 out the door after taxes and fees and military discount.

Dellinger
08-18-2012, 2:59 PM
I have had mine for about 9 months now and love it. I do suggest you strip it down before shooting it.Regular maintain by scrubbing with oil and some 0000 steel wool on the mag tube where the piston is. Carbon build up is quick and will cause issues in any weapon.
I have never had any ammo issues and the first 1000 rounds were lo brass Walmart federal sport loads. I also ran more than 400 slugs as well as both hi and lo power 00 buck in the multiple hundreds with no malfunctions.
Clean it and lube it.
Before I forget, be sure to torque and thread lock the scope rail,mine fell off on a hunting trip. I love my SPX!
I know you said no pistol grip stock but Mesa Tactical is in the finishing stages if a Urbino stock for the 930. It will shorten the LOP by a fiew inches.

CasperSYTFU
08-18-2012, 3:09 PM
oil with some 0000 steel wool on the mag tube where the piston is. Carbon build up is quick.

Absolutely this. Made all the difference, and now no load is too light. :cool2:

DinoPJR
08-18-2012, 3:22 PM
Yup I got the blackwater version. Really nice shotgun. I got it because it was on sale. What I don't like is I can't shoot skeet with the damn thing. I didn't buy it for skeet but I was hoping it would shoot skeet. I need a barrel with just a bead sight.

Dellinger
08-18-2012, 3:38 PM
I almost forgot,the gases. Blow out into the hand guard so you will need to clean that out from time to time. If you don't your safe and anything in it will stink.

On another note, get involved in the stop SB 249 and all 2A fights, Yee's aid had made comments about how he would like to see more laws against your shot gun too. Some places already list the SPX on AW ban lists.
keep on shooting!

Dellinger
08-18-2012, 3:52 PM
Hay, I throw my own clay by hand and hit most all of them, singles and doubles.
aim over the GR or 45 angle like an AR.
After I baught mine I said the same thing, should have got the field security combo.
If you want to be good with GR sights you must practice, practice, practice.
I would do a combo if all over again, the bead is fir spead.

DinoPJR
08-18-2012, 4:50 PM
I am totally involved in the SB249 fight. I am mainly a Rifleman. I shoot skeet and carry shotguns for where I work. I gotta take the spx out and mess with it more. It has been too hot lately though. I'm in the High Des

prc77
08-18-2012, 6:33 PM
I almost forgot,the gases. Blow out into the hand guard so you will need to clean that out from time to time. If you don't your safe and anything in it will stink.

On another note, get involved in the stop SB 249 and all 2A fights, Yee's aid had made comments about how he would like to see more laws against your shot gun too. Some places already list the SPX on AW ban lists.
keep on shooting!

What places have the SPX on a AW ban list??

Dellinger
08-18-2012, 11:41 PM
The spx is sold factory with 7+1 capacity making it an AW in many places with or without a pistol grip.Denver has a a 6 round or less on a semiauto shotgun, Mass residents can't own one with more than a 5 shot capacity, CT, New Jersey. Do a search, on semi-auto shotguns pertaining to AW bans. Not all states are OK with a simple mag cap swap.

MossbergMan
08-19-2012, 11:12 AM
Very interesting info re: SPX being an AW in some jusidictions.
500 rounds of buck and or slugs would break a new semi-auto SG in for sure, but I'd suggest you clean and lube it before you take out and fire crappy Winchester Universal or Federal Wal-Mart birdshot loads first. If it works, fine (as mine did) if not, then spend the extra money on high base loads. My bet is, especially with the Federal birdshot the gun will run fine and you'll have money left over for accessories.

epilepticninja
08-19-2012, 1:04 PM
I know you said no pistol grip stock but Mesa Tactical is in the finishing stages if a Urbino stock for the 930. It will shorten the LOP by a fiew inches.

As soon as Mesa brings out the Urbino for it, I'm all over one.

CessnaDriver
08-19-2012, 1:20 PM
Anyone know where the best deals are to watch for?

Triad
08-19-2012, 2:21 PM
As soon as Mesa brings out the Urbino for it, I'm all over one.

I thought about the Urbino, but with the safety where it is, I prefer the regular stock

epilepticninja
08-20-2012, 8:33 AM
I thought about the Urbino, but with the safety where it is, I prefer the regular stock

Good point. Hadn't thought about that. Used to safeties down by the trigger.

Dellinger
08-20-2012, 3:39 PM
My safety is between my ears. I have yet to own a pistol with one...

xxINKxx
08-23-2012, 10:56 AM
How's the recoil on this thing compared to a regular pump (590) I sold my 590 because I could barley enjoy myself when trying to practice with it because it kicks so hard.

So I've been eying the 930spx, or something auto loading that I can actually shoot and practice with it longer then a pump without killing my shoulder so quick.

I can't find anyone who has one in stock though in orange county :(

MXRider
08-23-2012, 11:02 AM

Mesa is working on a non pistol grip stock for the 930 as well, but it might be a little bit. I am eagerly waiting for it for my 930.

http://www.mesatactical.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1212

Dellinger
08-23-2012, 4:57 PM
My shooting partner uses a 500 and had the most envious grin after his first fiew shots. Slugs are still slugs but all day shooting is where the 930 shines. Way less recoil than a pump gun...
I regularly shoot 100+ shells per outing, sometimes double wich my shoulder couldn't handle with the 500.

Budsgunshop.com is where I buy most of my guns, if you are unable to find one check with them.
I got mine for $601. shipped 8 or 9 months ago. All local shops were no less than $685.

CessnaDriver
08-23-2012, 5:44 PM
After watching for some weeks now, Grabagun had just one pop up today and I was able to get it at $578.00 shipped. Of course still gotta pay that Cali tax. :(

Dellinger
08-23-2012, 6:03 PM
Rember to strip and clean it like it's filthy because it is. I never had any issues like so many claim to have, cleaning and lube is why...

CessnaDriver
08-24-2012, 10:46 AM
Rember to strip and clean it like it's filthy because it is. I never had any issues like so many claim to have, cleaning and lube is why...

Will do. What are thoughts on break in?
Seems strong loads are something people are recommending. Guess it couldn't hurt.

Dellinger
08-24-2012, 4:00 PM
Can't hurt. All I did was a full strip & clean then lube it well. I shot lo-brass till it was hot. No ejection issues or loading, one FTF in nearly 1000 rounds( I pull bk the bolt enough to reset the hammer and. Bang!

Mystery Meat
08-24-2012, 4:20 PM
I bought my 930 SPX in May and like it a lot. It has the regular stock.

I did a lot of reading about the model before I bought it. The consensus is that it had to be cleaned and lubed carefully before taking it out to shoot the first time, so I did. I started out by shooting slugs. The first three failed to eject. After that, everything– slugs, 00 and birdshot cycled just fine.

I had a 500 before this model. I didn't like to shoot it because I got so beat up on the shoulder. The 930 has a better pad, but to be on the safe side, I bought a Limbsaver "Slip-On Recoil Pad Large" which I mounted over the standard pad. The geometry of the stock still worked for me (it didn't make it too long), and it made the recoil better. I can actually shoot it without getting bruises!

The slip-on recoil pad on top of the regular pad was recommended by a guy I know who teaches shotgun classes.

I have a problem with the peep sight because of my old eyes. Looking through the peep sight is like looking through a grey fuzzball. So I bought a cheap (although it gets mostly good reviews) red dot sight, a Bushnell TR-25. It works fine.

I wanted to be able to mount a light, so I bought a Nordic barrel clamp with tactical rail. I haven't bought a light yet. Can anyone recommend a good, easy to use LED model?

prc77
08-24-2012, 6:06 PM
I bought my 930 SPX in May and like it a lot. It has the regular stock.

I did a lot of reading about the model before I bought it. The consensus is that it had to be cleaned and lubed carefully before taking it out to shoot the first time, so I did. I started out by shooting slugs. The first three failed to eject. After that, everything– slugs, 00 and birdshot cycled just fine.

I had a 500 before this model. I didn't like to shoot it because I got so beat up on the shoulder. The 930 has a better pad, but to be on the safe side, I bought a Limbsaver "Slip-On Recoil Pad Large" which I mounted over the standard pad. The geometry of the stock still worked for me (it didn't make it too long), and it made the recoil better. I can actually shoot it without getting bruises!

The slip-on recoil pad on top of the regular pad was recommended by a guy I know who teaches shotgun classes.

I have a problem with the peep sight because of my old eyes. Looking through the peep sight is like looking through a grey fuzzball. So I bought a cheap (although it gets mostly good reviews) red dot sight, a Bushnell TR-25. It works fine.

I wanted to be able to mount a light, so I bought a Nordic barrel clamp with tactical rail. I haven't bought a light yet. Can anyone recommend a good, easy to use LED model?

TLR-1 look no further

CessnaDriver
09-13-2012, 12:39 PM
Well I'm in the club.
Hopefully get to try it out this weekend.

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii44/CessnaDriver/SPX.jpg

IEShooter
09-14-2012, 3:00 PM
I have the "regular" model without the pistol grip. It has the 7+1 mag extension and fiber optic sights.

Great gun and I cleaned it really well but still seem to have challenges with the spring hanging up inside the tube. Sometimes it will prevent the third or fourth round from being loaded, and other times it won't cycle a round when firing because they have gotten hung up inside the tube.

Reaching up and giving the tube a half turn to loosen it will unbind the spring. This has caused me to remove the nordic barrel clamp as that prevents me from turning the tube.

I removed the tube, looked for burrs, cleaned and lightly greased the spring to no avail. I even took a wooden dowel of similar diameter, wrapped it in 400 grit wet/dry sandpaper and gently sanded the inside of the tube, hoping to knock down any rough spots or burrs I couldn't see. It got better but is still balky.

So far I've shot about 150 rounds or so through it. About half were 00 buck or slugs with the rest being #5 high velocity (1300fps) Pheasant loads with a few boxes of cheap, Winchester white box 7 1/2 bird shot.

Cycling issues seem to be entirely caused by the spring problem.

Any suggestions? I'm looking to take it out again this weekend and shoot some more through it as it seems to get a bit better the more I shoot.

CasperSYTFU
09-14-2012, 3:08 PM
Yours is all stock? no add ons?
We had someone else with the same issue due to his mag tube not being screwed in tight enough. Also try flipping it around completely. You'll notice the space before the threading is slightly different.
You may have installed it upside down?

IEShooter
09-14-2012, 3:27 PM
Yours is all stock? no add ons?
We had someone else with the same issue due to his mag tube not being screwed in tight enough. Also try flipping it around completely. You'll notice the space before the threading is slightly different.
You may have installed it upside down?

Not sure what you mean by flipping it around and "it" being installed upside down?? What is the "it" you are referring to? The spring?

Gun is stock. No add ons other than the Nordic barrel clamp. Hang ups were on the first and second time I took it out, which was before the clamp. I added the clamp afterwards. After trying to load it, I discovered that by turning the tube, it would unbind the spring, so I removed the clamp entirely.

Hope that makes sense

CasperSYTFU
09-14-2012, 3:33 PM
The clamp is what was causing the issue in addition to the mag tube being loose.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=618804

"It" being the mag tube itself. Not the extension, but the tube.

IEShooter
09-14-2012, 6:38 PM
How do you flip the mag tube around completely?

Mp5marley
09-15-2012, 5:44 PM
Congrats! I put one in jail today too! 9.5 more days to go!

CessnaDriver
09-16-2012, 12:44 PM
Had a little time to try my new one out, only about fifty rounds of federal tactical 00 and slugs, had one failure to feed, just had to excercise the bolt and it fed, the ramp I guess did not feed the next round it was just floating there, I'll put it off to break in period for now. Magazine would accept all seven so no issues there. All rapid fire went fine even with ghost loading. Factory sight setting had me doing head shots at 25 yards with slugs.
Fun!

vnamvet
09-17-2012, 12:14 PM
Anyone know where the best deals are to watch for?

Just purchased a regular 930 (with "door breacher" muzzel) for $499 a a local FL gun show Saturday.