PDA

View Full Version : MC Operator vs TRP

Damiiaaannn
08-17-2012, 11:12 PM
I already have a non rail TRP and have a MC Operator in jail. The only differences is that the TRP has front strap checkering and a full length guide rod. Anything else?

Loubot10
08-17-2012, 11:24 PM
One piece rod vs. 2 piece in the MC.
Maybe the sights
I have an MC and my buddy has a TRP. We go shooting all the time and shoot about the same with either.

His had had more jams than mine over about 1,000 rounds?

redcliff
08-17-2012, 11:25 PM
The TRP has more hand-fitting. Heres a good article on them: http://www.tactical-life.com/online/combat-handguns/springfield-trp-45acp/

9mmepiphany
08-17-2012, 11:33 PM
Do either of them come with the two piece barrel?

1911whore
08-17-2012, 11:40 PM
Bmc operator is basically a loaded with the rail.Trp is a t r p a much better weapon.

Loubot10
08-18-2012, 12:03 AM
Bmc operator is basically a loaded with the rail.Trp is a t r p a much better weapon.

Shoot em both most weekends and I don't see that. They're similarly tight, spring set, barreled, and I shoot the same score with either.

So what makes the TRP a "much better weapon"?

1911whore
08-18-2012, 12:42 AM
Loubot... Possibly your MC operator is a "Monday built" gun. I'm not speaking down about the m c operator as I know there are a lot of people that's where the back yard is the holy grail. I have shop plenty and in my experiences b m c operate or has no better fit for spanish than a standard loaded springfield pistol. I have shot both I have owned loaded, Trophy, and MC operators andy my very humble experience..
D m c operator is nothing more than a loaded with the rail. In my experience the fit and finish off the t r p is better. Finishing different. Aerofit is better. Flight to frame is typically a bit tighter. Trigger is cleaner. On a t r p. Not long ago b m c operator what is a 900 dollar gun, back when a loaded was 799.... pacman I called springfield and they confirmed that the mc operator was in fact a loaded with a light rail and a 2 tone finish. For springfield that was the justification of price difference of 100 dollars. At that Point I purchased full rail trp operator. I have been sold it because I'm not a big fan of rails.

1911whore
08-18-2012, 12:43 AM
Excuse any typos in my previous message. The talk and text feature on my phone is not perfect

Malmon
08-18-2012, 8:54 AM

I read from another forum (1911forum) that loaded models have two-price barrels while MC operators have the one-piece storm lake barrels.

Loubot10
08-18-2012, 8:55 AM
Loubot... Possibly your MC operator is a "Monday built" gun. I'm not speaking down about the m c operator as I know there are a lot of people that's where the back yard is the holy grail. I have shop plenty and in my experiences b m c operate or has no better fit for spanish than a standard loaded springfield pistol. I have shot both I have owned loaded, Trophy, and MC operators andy my very humble experience..
D m c operator is nothing more than a loaded with the rail. In my experience the fit and finish off the t r p is better. Finishing different. Aerofit is better. Flight to frame is typically a bit tighter. Trigger is cleaner. On a t r p. Not long ago b m c operator what is a 900 dollar gun, back when a loaded was 799.... pacman I called springfield and they confirmed that the mc operator was in fact a loaded with a light rail and a 2 tone finish. For springfield that was the justification of price difference of 100 dollars. At that Point I purchased full rail trp operator. I have been sold it because I'm not a big fan of rails.

And that my friend, was the most civil and classy difference of opinion I've experienced on CG. Thanks for the knowledge. :clap:

skyscraper
08-18-2012, 9:00 AM
Shoot em both most weekends and I don't see that. They're similarly tight, spring set, barreled, and I shoot the same score with either.

So what makes the TRP a "much better weapon"?

Having both I wouldnt say its a much better gun...They are both great guns, however more time goes into a trp. You can tell from detail stripping the difference in fit.

skyscraper
08-18-2012, 9:02 AM

What is a "B M C operator"?

Press Check
08-18-2012, 9:08 AM
The TRP has more hand-fitting. Heres a good article on them: http://www.tactical-life.com/online/combat-handguns/springfield-trp-45acp/

That's a great article.

t0kie
08-18-2012, 9:23 AM
MC operator is basically a loaded with the rail.Trp is a much better weapon.

This^^^. TRP is a better gun & IIRC the barrel is also better on TRP (NM) than the MC Operator.

elSquid
08-18-2012, 12:08 PM
Loubot... Possibly your MC operator is a "Monday built" gun. I'm not speaking down about the m c operator as I know there are a lot of people that's where the back yard is the holy grail. I have shop plenty and in my experiences b m c operate or has no better fit for spanish than a standard loaded springfield pistol.

? Loadeds are completely made in Brazil, while the MC operators have slides and frames imported, with the fitting and assembly work done in the US.

-- Michael

1911Luvr
08-18-2012, 12:40 PM
? Loadeds are completely made in Brazil, while the MC operators have slides and frames imported, with the fitting and assembly work done in the US.

-- Michael

I do not mean to call you out on this Michael, but before spreading misinformation please do a little searching. Springfield does their forging in Brazil, that much is correct, but not all Loadeds are completely made in Brazil. Springfield does more than 50% work on some guns in Brazil while others have more than 50% completed here. SA identifies the guns with the bulk of the work done here with the serial number prefix NM. I have both "N" marked Loadeds finished in Brazil (Imbel) and "NM" marked Loaded and MC Operator finished here.

elSquid
08-18-2012, 1:01 PM
I do not mean to call you out on this Michael,

Don't worry about it. :D Bad information should be corrected.

-- Michael

socal147
08-18-2012, 1:51 PM
Much better? Damn, I guess I will have to get rid of the MC OP I love to shoot and shoot well with. The fit is very tight and the accuracy is beyond my capabilities. I have had a TRP Full Rail. Just too heavy. I will be getting a SS TRP No Rail as funding permits.

But I got to tell you, My MC OP is a sweet shooter.........all of the internet pros aside.

Loubot10
08-18-2012, 9:50 PM
This^^^. TRP is a better gun & IIRC the barrel is also better on TRP (NM) than the MC Operator.

Everybody's got an answer but they seem to be incorrect.

My MC has an NM

http://i1270.photobucket.com/albums/jj612/Loubot10/Niceguy/F4E7C8D3-D180-4EC8-B609-62D5EB479E93-27364-00001BFD9A301048.jpg

Loubot10
08-18-2012, 9:51 PM
Much better? Damn, I guess I will have to get rid of the MC OP I love to shoot and shoot well with. The fit is very tight and the accuracy is beyond my capabilities. I have had a TRP Full Rail. Just too heavy. I will be getting a SS TRP No Rail as funding permits.

But I got to tell you, My MC OP is a sweet shooter.........all of the internet pros aside.

This

redcliff
08-18-2012, 10:50 PM

My MC has an NM

http://i1270.photobucket.com/albums/jj612/Loubot10/Niceguy/F4E7C8D3-D180-4EC8-B609-62D5EB479E93-27364-00001BFD9A301048.jpg

I believe he was referencing NM as in a "National Match" barrel not an NM serial number indicating a US completed Loaded/Mc Operator.

t0kie
08-18-2012, 10:54 PM

My MC has an NM

You misunderstood me, I'm talking about the barrel, not the frame. The earlier version of MC Operator used to have regular barrel, not the NM/Match Grade barrel that is ALWAYS the standard barrel that comes in TRP. (However, later version of MC Operator that I saw in my LGS do have the Match Grade barrel).

jessegpresley
08-18-2012, 11:04 PM
SA like to do confusing things, like NM in the serial number that *doesn't * stand for National Match.

t0kie
08-18-2012, 11:15 PM
SA like to do confusing things, like NM in the serial number that *doesn't * stand for National Match.

Correct.

Synergy
08-18-2012, 11:54 PM
To add more confusion I have Champion in the 75,000 range with WW and my TRP in the 186,000 range is NM.

A good explanation.
http://forum.m1911.org/showthread.php?t=49574

Damiiaaannn
08-19-2012, 12:07 AM
You misunderstood me, I'm talking about the barrel, not the frame. The earlier version of MC Operator used to have regular barrel, not the NM/Match Grade barrel that is ALWAYS the standard barrel that comes in TRP. (However, later version of MC Operator that I saw in my LGS do have the Match Grade barrel).

So when did they start using match grade barrels in the MC Operator?

t0kie
08-19-2012, 12:22 AM
I don't now when exactly, but few years ago I saw one from buddy of mine wearing regular barrel (when I say regular barrel means it is not a match grade barrel), but lately most of them that I've seen come with match grade barrel.

Damiiaaannn
08-19-2012, 12:24 AM
I don't now when exactly, but few years ago I saw one from buddy of mine wearing regular barrel (when I say regular barrel means it is not a match grade barrel), but lately most of them that I've seen come with match grade barrel.

Would it just say "match" on the barrel? I didn't look at it when I did the PPT. I guess I have to wait the 7 more days.

t0kie
08-19-2012, 12:29 AM
No, it does not say match barrel on the hood, but you can tell by looking at the crown/tip of the barrel.
Try to compare between TRP barrel and SA Milspec or GI barrel then you'll see what I mean.

Damiiaaannn
08-19-2012, 12:30 AM
No, it does not say match barrel on the hood, but you can tell by looking at the crown/tip of the barrel.
Try to compare it with the TRP barrel with SA Milspec or GI barrel then you'll see what I mean.

Thanks, I'll compare it to my TRP.

FLAWLS1
08-19-2012, 12:51 AM

Great link! I have the TRP so that definitely means it's better than the MC Operator;)

FatCity67
08-19-2012, 3:07 AM
I have a SS TRP non rail and my buddy has an MC OP.

At the range they both perform the same as far as accuracy.

The only differences I have found are cosmetic and the fact that he paid less for his gun and got a rail:rolleyes:

Yes, yes I am aware of all the "upgrades" in the TRP but I haven't seen a difference in the actual peformance of the two side by side.

redcliff
08-19-2012, 4:39 AM
I have a SS TRP non rail and my buddy has an MC OP.

At the range they both perform the same as far as accuracy.

The only differences I have found are cosmetic and the fact that he paid less for his gun and got a rail:rolleyes:

Yes, yes I am aware of all the "upgrades" in the TRP but I haven't seen a difference in the actual performance of the two side by side.

Naturally, as someone that doesn't know you or your friend, or your current shooting abilities, or the abilities of others that have responded in this thread with similar answers, the first question that comes to mind on these type of comparisons is "how well do you both shoot and what distance do you shoot at?" Unless you both are very accurate shooters its hard to distinguish degrees of accuracy from two accurate pistols, especially at close ranges, and I don't think anyone is saying a Springfield Loaded or MC Operator is an inaccurate pistol. The only way to quantify the differences is through measured results.

I mean no disrespect and you can treat it as a rhetorical question; for all I know Brian Enos kisses the ground you walk on. But I've handed some of my accurized 1911's to people that proceed to fire 5" or larger groups at 10 yards when the pistol is capable of 1" or less groups at 25 yards from a rest. I personally am fairly happy with 1" 8 shot groups offhand at 10 yards with my custom Combat Commander given it's shorter sight radius and the fact I"m well past my prime :oji: although I always strive to improve or probably more realistically to slow my rate of decay :)

kouye
08-19-2012, 7:58 AM
If all goes the way most thread like this go, some SA Pro owner should enter soon to say both the TRP and MC Operator suck. Just sayin'....

t0kie
08-19-2012, 9:25 AM
If all goes the way most thread like this go, some SA Pro owner should enter soon to say both the TRP and MC Operator suck. Just sayin'....

I don't think so (I have a SA Pro, I believe redcliff also has one & others here have it too, but we didn't say things like you siad^^^).
The OP was asking opinion between the TRP & MC Operator & we gave ours.
To me, all Springfield 1911s are great guns & all my pistols will out shoot me as a shooter for sure. It's not about who has the most expensive gun is better than the others,
I just tried to point out the dif. between the two guns in terms of specs & how they were built.

Damiiaaannn
08-19-2012, 9:34 AM
Yeah, I know that the TRP has like a $400 higher price tag so I was just wondering the differences were.

1911whore
08-19-2012, 11:10 AM
Nobody myself included has ever said the m c operator is a bad gun. I am basing my opinions on the experiences I have had only and handeling both particular models numerous times. Springfield are grey gardens but as we all know the quality of the it's very greatly from pistol to pistol. I have noticed that the party line of pistols to be more well it across the board. I had an MC operator that rattles like an old colt... my friend had 1 that was very tightly built. The same can be said about all of the rest of their production pistols. If you have an opportunity where you have a gun dealer who has multiple of each model in stock you would do quite well to individually inspect each pistol and hand pick the 1 that is best built. Having owns a t r p as well and handled numerous others it is my opinion that across the board the trp's are better fit and finished. Springfield has in the last 2 or 3 years be gone to put a more durable finish and a match grade barrel and fit the triggers better etc on the m c operator then they may be pretty close in quality. Both are good guys both will probably shoot far better than the people owning them however the same could generally be said for a mil spec.

FatCity67
08-19-2012, 3:54 PM
Naturally, as someone that doesn't know you or your friend, or your current shooting abilities, or the abilities of others that have responded in this thread with similar answers, the first question that comes to mind on these type of comparisons is "how well do you both shoot and what distance do you shoot at?" Unless you both are very accurate shooters its hard to distinguish degrees of accuracy from two accurate pistols, especially at close ranges, and I don't think anyone is saying a Springfield Loaded or MC Operator is an inaccurate pistol. The only way to quantify the differences is through measured results.

I mean no disrespect and you can treat it as a rhetorical question; for all I know Brian Enos kisses the ground you walk on. But I've handed some of my accurized 1911's to people that proceed to fire 5" or larger groups at 10 yards when the pistol is capable of 1" or less groups at 25 yards from a rest. I personally am fairly happy with 1" 8 shot groups offhand at 10 yards with my custom Combat Commander given it's shorter sight radius and the fact I"m well past my prime :oji: although I always strive to improve or probably more realistically to slow my rate of decay :)

None taken, my ego is fairly secure given the many decades of firearm experience under my belt.

Again IMO the difference between the two are minute enough that ONLY a professional marksman/shooter might be able to tell the difference.

Is my TRP tighter? yes, Are the tolerances smaller? yes, is the overall finish slightly higher? yes. For an experienced shooter those things really mean nothing down the line.

Loubot10
08-19-2012, 9:57 PM

MC Operator 1.5" 8 shot group at 25 yrd. Offhand. And last I checked most if not every " loaded" has a match grade barrel.

voiceoftheright
08-19-2012, 10:17 PM
I have been watching this thread since you started it just to see how others feel...I have both and use the MC as my home defense gun. I shoot the full rail better (more accurately), but think the difference isn't much as to average shooters would notice. As far as the MC being nothing more than a loaded with a rail...completely false. At least with my MC compared to the Loaded I had. The Loaded was a nice gun, but the fit of my MC is great. Is the TRP better fit wise? Yes. But I got a steal on it at 1400 used compared to my MC which was $966 new from Bud's, so it better be that much better! Either way, I'm sure either weapon will be satisfactory and if you have a chance to handle/shoot them, you will be hooked with either of the two (but probably want both).

Damiiaaannn
08-20-2012, 5:37 PM
I have been watching this thread since you started it just to see how others feel...I have both and use the MC as my home defense gun. I shoot the full rail better (more accurately), but think the difference isn't much as to average shooters would notice. As far as the MC being nothing more than a loaded with a rail...completely false. At least with my MC compared to the Loaded I had. The Loaded was a nice gun, but the fit of my MC is great. Is the TRP better fit wise? Yes. But I got a steal on it at 1400 used compared to my MC which was $966 new from Bud's, so it better be that much better! Either way, I'm sure either weapon will be satisfactory and if you have a chance to handle/shoot them, you will be hooked with either of the two (but probably want both).

Thanks, you got great prices on those two.

JeremyS
09-09-2012, 12:02 PM
If all goes the way most thread like this go, some SA Pro owner should enter soon to say both the TRP and MC Operator suck. Just sayin'....Oh blah blah. I have a Pro and an MC Operator (also a Lightweight Champion Operator, for what it's worth) and they're both great. Yeah, the Pro is tighter and the trigger is better but what do you expect? For sale, btw...

You can see a difference in slide/frame fit, barrel bushing fit, etc, but you have to look close. This MC Operator is absolutely a very tight, well-fitted gun!

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-nzDonjIhg-U/UEzdH6DF3gI/AAAAAAAACpU/oP6bQkCL1ZQ/s1024/P1000408.JPG

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-JUeQ33Oqp9Q/UEzc5Gyq8WI/AAAAAAAAClU/DmxoaTMWj-I/s1280/P1000368.JPG

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-M-oNH96gsWc/UEzdG8_ztNI/AAAAAAAACpM/UhxF-mclaBQ/s1024/P1000406.JPG

racky
09-09-2012, 12:06 PM
champion operator party?
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a17/rackycurva/2A%20stuff/409dd6c7.jpg
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a17/rackycurva/2A%20stuff/adc0f4b4.jpg