PDA

View Full Version : Airosft at the range...wow!

drkphibr
08-17-2012, 10:17 PM
Just saw a thread about shooting a BB gun in the back yard that reminded me of this last weekend.

So we're at the Livermore range and were in a cease fire. I noticed the target a lane near us put up at the 10 yard line was shorter than what they allow (3' instead of 6'). As the RSO was walking by, I pointed out to him they may not know the target size/yardage "rules" and the RSO said it was okay for him to do it. Before I could process "WTF?", the RSO informed us they were shooting an airsoft gun. Then I did say WTF? Apparently, this guy just moved his family to the area, bought his son an airsoft (bright yellow plastic BB's) gun and when asked about shooting it around his apartment, he was told by the policy the "firearm" policy. I guess the policy won't differentiate between airsoft, paintball or any other type of "gun" when you ask them about whether you can shoot it in your yard and only communicate the official firearm policy.

So this guy brings his son to the range so his boy can shoot his airsoft. The RSO was VERY cool about it and very helpful to the guy and his kid, even moving the target closer to 5 yd so he could hit it and the plastic pellets would actually mark the target. At that time the range wasn't busy, so I hope they didn't charge him to shoot as the fees would have been more expensive than the airsoft gun and BB's.

I remember when i was a kid and my fun with BB guns. Same for what my sons (now adults) were able to experience. What are we becoming? Really, airsoft can't shoot in the neighborhood or backyard? Wow. Talk about taking things away from us. I was pretty shocked to say the least. BB guns were a right of passage as a youth. I guess no more.

SURVIVOR619
08-17-2012, 10:22 PM
I remember when i was a kid and my fun with BB guns. Same for what my sons (now adults) were able to experience. What are we becoming? Really, airsoft can't shoot in the neighborhood or backyard? Wow. Talk about taking things away from us. I was pretty shocked to say the least. BB guns were a right of passage as a youth. I guess no more.

Nice to read the RO was a gent about it! And cool Dad for doing whatever necessary to help his son move further into becoming a man...and closer to hopefully real firearms like us.

I, too, agree that the question "What are we becoming?" seems more and more relevant.

At least there are still some of us left out there.

Thanks for sharing a neat experience!

Respect, Survivor

jben
08-17-2012, 10:37 PM
I don't know about airsoft. But most cities have ordinances against bb/pellet guns.
It ain't like the old days...:(

Aces and 8s
08-17-2012, 10:43 PM
That's quite dumb. I would have just set up a sticky target that catches the pellets inside my house. Cool though that the range was accommodating.

cannon
08-18-2012, 8:17 AM
Good on the range for letting the kid shoot.

CSACANNONEER
08-18-2012, 8:29 AM
I commend the parents and the range for encouraging this new, young shooter. I would actually like to see more of this. It would help teach kids proper gun safety, range etiquette and that airsoft guns are not toys.

I've seen a kid shoot an IDPA match with an airsoft gun.

I've met my little cousins (about 5 and 9) at Angeles once. They started out shooting their Daisy Red Ryder and Buck because, they wanted to shoot them. They ended up shooting a variety of firearms including my 1919.

anthonyca
08-18-2012, 8:56 AM
These anti airsoft and toy gun laws are aimed at stopping future generations from falling in love with guns. I remember how cool our plastic Uzi and Mac 10s were to my brother and I.

Ranges and the NRA should put out literature on how to throw airsoft parties. I have met very few people, especially young people who didn't have a great time shooting any form of gun under the right conditions. We need to start the hobby in as many people as possible. It's just such a pain in the rear with all of the transport laws,evil feature laws, waiting periods, proof of residency etc. and the other side knows this.

CBruce
08-18-2012, 9:21 AM
I shoot my airsoft gun in the house...

RileyBean
08-18-2012, 9:21 AM
That's quite dumb. I would have just set up a sticky target that catches the pellets inside my house. Cool though that the range was accommodating.

I get what you are saying, and with a Big 5 airsoft gun that is totally true - but I have seen full metal, Colt marked, "M-4" fully automatic "airsoft guns" that shoot over 500fps. [oops.... I shouldn't have said that - now Yee is going to after those too.........]

Kokopelli
08-18-2012, 9:47 AM
I set up an airsoft range for my kids and grandkids in my garage. Unfortunately, they dent an aluminum sectional garage door.

KR_H
08-18-2012, 10:14 AM

The 10-year-old mentioned some time back that they'd really get in trouble with the yard duty ladies if they pretended to shoot each other (index and middle finger pointed straight forward and thumb up) during recess.

MiddleKingdom
08-18-2012, 10:25 AM
I'm holding onto a 10/22, Sig 522 & M&P 15-22 for my 17 y/o nephew. He has at least double that invested in Airsoft guns and gear. He borrows my holsters when he "plays" Airsoft at the outdoor Airsoft center.

bloodhawke83
08-18-2012, 10:27 AM
I just shoot mine in the garage. :D

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Fjold
08-18-2012, 10:30 AM
Good job for the Dad and the Range!

pc_load_letter
08-18-2012, 10:36 AM
These anti airsoft and toy gun laws are aimed at stopping future generations from falling in love with guns. I remember how cool our plastic Uzi and Mac 10s were to my brother and I.

Thankfully I don't think it's working. Just as my buddies and I ran around the neighborhood with cap guns back in the early 80's, the young kids in the neighborhood today are sporting airsoft and still playing Army.

Pretty cool to see.

canative
08-18-2012, 10:48 AM
Back in the late 60's my friends and I all had BB rifles. Mine was a Daisy, we would all hike down to Coyote creek in full view of everyone and it wasn't a big deal back then. An older kid even had a .22 he took one time. We did that almost every weekend in the summer. Ah, the good old days!

neouser
08-18-2012, 11:17 AM
I love my airsoft guns. It's an economical way to practice.

stilly
08-18-2012, 11:19 AM
Just saw a thread about shooting a BB gun in the back yard that reminded me of this last weekend.

The same guy prolly took his kids to go see South Park the Movie because it was a cartoon and then got up and walked out after the first 5 minutes...

Most AIRSOFT are called AEG because they run on a battery that makes them fire. With that said, yeah, they obviously did not understand the rules and went a a REAL range to shoot their toy. (yeah I said that...)

That is sad. People not being able to differentiate between a paintball gun/aeg/ air gun/ firearm puts us all in a bad spot because it will be that much easier to reclassify aegs and pellet guns and paintball guns into firearm status when that asshat Yee gets around to writing SB249B...

LoL. And I almost took my suppressed .22cal pellet gun to the indoor range to zero it in too. LoL.

iBkickinit
08-18-2012, 11:59 AM
Props to the dad and the RSO.

I remember getting reprimanded in Kindergarten for making a 'gun' with my finger and thumb. Now I have to used both hands and a hydraulic press ;)

Turbinator
08-19-2012, 1:06 AM

Some cities actually have laws against the discharge of airguns and airsoft within the city limits. I am aware that Cupertino is one such city, so it's not just an apartment complex rule, it's the local law. Not saying it's right, just lettin' you know where we're headed.

Turby

gbp
08-19-2012, 7:03 AM
In pittsburg, ca you can't even fire a slingshot let alone an airsoft

Gringo Bandito
08-19-2012, 7:33 AM
The Tri Valley has changed quite a bit over the last 30+ years. When I was growing up, my Dad would take me to the Doughrty RD area and teach me to shoot with his fathers .22 rifle. There were no houses in the area and it was still relatively open. Now there are houses everywhere and no open space for this kind of stuff. We would even hunt ducks in the area.

I'm glad to see that this father is teaching his boy to shoot and knows what his options are for making it happen. If I see these two at the range, I'll offer to let them shoot some of the guns I have with me. They may appreciate the opportunity.

dwtt
08-19-2012, 7:38 AM
Some cities actually have laws against the discharge of airguns and airsoft within the city limits. I am aware that Cupertino is one such city, so it's not just an apartment complex rule, it's the local law. Not saying it's right, just lettin' you know where we're headed.

Turby

Fremont didn't have such a local ordinance so I was free to shoot the squirrels that came to eat our sun flowers. My .177 air rifle had lasted through my youth and I had it until one of my last moves. It disappeared after our latest move in March. Anyway, it's good to see a new shooter learning to shoot with an airsoft gun. In some countries with very restrictive gun laws, airsoft is more widely used than real firearms. There are even airsoft matches called action air.

Kokopelli
08-19-2012, 8:28 AM
In pittsburg, ca you can't even fire a slingshot let alone an airsoft

That's going too far!

CSACANNONEER
08-19-2012, 8:30 AM
That's going too far!

You might want to check your city and county regs. I bet that you'll find the same restrictions where you live.

Shooster
08-19-2012, 10:00 AM
I get what you are saying, and with a Big 5 airsoft gun that is totally true - but I have seen full metal, Colt marked, "M-4" fully automatic "airsoft guns" that shoot over 500fps. [oops.... I shouldn't have said that - now Yee is going to after those too.........]

De leon is already after it
sb1315

Shooster
08-19-2012, 10:02 AM

De leon is already after it
sb1315 sits on the governors desk at this very moment.
http://www.change.org/petitions/california-legislators-vote-no-on-sb1315?utm_campaign=friend_inviter_action_box&utm_medium=facebook&utm_source=share_petition&utm_term=25054411

CK_32
08-19-2012, 10:29 AM
I don't know about airsoft. But most cities have ordinances against bb/pellet guns.
It ain't like the old days...:(

Yea because you have the idiots like my friends in high school who pretty much ruined everything for everyone else being idiots with everything..

But that's cool I was expecting it to be a fat nerdy kid training for a tournament.. Those guys take airsoft shooting seriously.

FMJBT
08-19-2012, 11:15 AM
I bought my kid an airsoft rifle just to get him up to speed before I put him behind something truly dangerous like a .22. He's getting pretty good at it, he can consistently hit a coke can from 20 yards. One thing I like about the bolt action airsoft is that it's too hard to operate the bolt for a kid his size. I need to be there with him to load for each shot.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8448/7816762246_7148095785_c.jpg

I'm thinking the next step is gonna be an airsoft MK 12 Mod 0.......

Full Clip
08-19-2012, 11:17 AM
BB guns were a right of passage as a youth. I guess no more.

You'll put your eye out with that thing!

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/entertainment_tv_tvblog/files/2010/12/PX00169_91.jpg

Spiggy
08-19-2012, 11:53 AM
SB1315 is something huge in the airsoft community considering many of the companies are located within LA County. And if it does pass, these companies will have to up and move away, this will disemploy many and opportunities will no longer be available in the county.

My job included as I work in manufacturing. One of the major offenses proposed by De Leon.

There are always jobs here and De Leon wants to take those opportunities away.

Chameleon Loco
08-19-2012, 12:13 PM
I went shooting was at the firing line in northridge and I saw a dad and his son shooting a weird looking rifle. Turns out it was a .22 cal air rifle. After a few shots it stopped working and nobody could help them because everybody had experience with firearms but nobody knew how to fix an air rifle.

Eldraque
08-19-2012, 12:16 PM
Awesome story..I myself not 3 years ago would go out every weekend with a bunch of friends and we would play airsoft in certain...abandoned stretches of land..was great fun..better than sitting inside playing video games..

safewaysecurity
08-19-2012, 12:21 PM
If I saw that I with would think a lot of things. 1. Awesome dad 2. Dumb laws for making them do this. 3. Invite them to shoot

gbp
08-19-2012, 3:09 PM
Re. Pittsburg, for clarification
http://www.ci.pittsburg.ca.us/index.aspx?page=439

9.92.010 Discharge prohibitions.
It is unlawful for any person to discharge any firearm or gun or rifle or other gun or device discharging by the use of powder, air or springs any bullet, shot or other object, or any sling or slingshot in the city, except in duly licensed shooting galleries and/or on pistol and rifle ranges approved by the chief of police. The provisions of this section shall not apply to peace officers acting within the scope of their official duties. [1937 Code 550.]

This also applies to airsoft, paintball, bb guns and pellet guns

I have yet to see why a police officer needs a slingshot, but what do I know.

Kokopelli
08-19-2012, 4:16 PM
Good. My lever action roll-cap carbine isn't on the list. Whew!

89 Vision
08-20-2012, 2:38 AM
Reading this thread is making me want to go buy a nice airsoft. I have couple "disposable" airsoft pistols from Big 5. Can't complain though, one of them was dead nuts accurate out to 30 feet. Had a lot of fun with that one till I wore it out. Now I'm wanting one of those full autos. At my old place the neighbors kid had one. Would hear automatic "fire" coming from the back yard. Brought a smile to my face. I'm sure the kid was smiling too.

dixieD
08-20-2012, 7:09 AM
So this guy brings his son to the range so his boy can shoot his airsoft. The RSO was VERY cool about it and very helpful to the guy and his kid, even moving the target closer to 5 yd so he could hit it and the plastic pellets would actually mark the target. At that time the range wasn't busy, so I hope they didn't charge him to shoot as the fees would have been more expensive than the airsoft gun and BB's.

Good job RSO! With this positive experience maybe the dad will by a 22 rifle for he and his son to enjoy learning to shoot, and two more will come into the fold.

AAShooter
08-20-2012, 7:14 AM
They keep talking about starting a youth rifle team out there. Maybe it will happen and this young man can take advantage.

RileyBean
08-20-2012, 7:27 AM
Reading this thread is making me want to go buy a nice airsoft. I have couple "disposable" airsoft pistols from Big 5. Can't complain though, one of them was dead nuts accurate out to 30 feet. Had a lot of fun with that one till I wore it out. Now I'm wanting one of those full autos. At my old place the neighbors kid had one. Would hear automatic "fire" coming from the back yard. Brought a smile to my face. I'm sure the kid was smiling too.

You should consider stopping by somewhere:

Evike

TrueEdge

Ect...

A good one is almost as fun as fully automatic .22

Spiggy
08-20-2012, 8:24 PM
East to Tracy is Blackops Airsoft

South to Santa Clara is Airsoft Extreme and San Jose is and Dogtag Airsoft

All of them reputable dealers and I've visited all 3 despite being firmly rooted here in SoCal.

50BMGBOB
08-20-2012, 9:45 PM
I take my sons scout troop/team shooting on a regular bases. One trip they all brought their airsoft rifles and didn't want to shoot the AR & AK I had out that day.

Last time we went in ID on way to a camp in WY. They shot rifle, pistol and shotguns. They even got to shot tannenite(sp?) And a full auto M4. On another trip they have shot my 50BMG and my son has even competed in Reno with mine at 1,000 yards.

I think it is a shame that most towns outlaw shooting airguns. Kids need to be taught that you can have fun, just follow the rules. People are quick to outlaw things instead of throwing the book at people who do things wrong.

renardsubtil
08-21-2012, 3:31 PM
Little OT but know that airsoft, painball, and BB guns are all categorized into firearms when you enter a national forest - so the 100 yard rule (no shooting near or around a designated camp ground or paved road, etc) applies to those 3 and carry a $400 fine...don't ask me how I know ;(

StormRaven
08-21-2012, 4:23 PM
I'm boggling at how, due to this thread, I've realized that I really haven't been keeping up on how restrictive being a kid is these days. I'm not sure if we need all these new laws/ordinances because kids are just stupider these days (which may very well be... no, it most definitely IS IMHO... due to a lack of decent parenting) or if people on power trips are just out of control. Probably a combination of both. Things are so DIFFERENT from when I was a little girl growing up in the midwest.

When I was 10-ish (1980), I was given a Daisy pump action pellet rifle/BB gun. It was pretty neat. What followed was my favorite Crosman rifle of all time... I think it was a Scout... and one or two pistols. Don't remember much about them except they looked like your average semi-auto pistol. You pulled the right hand grip off, and inside is where you put your CO2 cartridge. There was a ring with a screw in the bottom of the grip and you screwed that up and into the canister and after you filled your pistol with pellets or BBs (my favorite were Copperheads, and they came in a 1/2 pint milk carton type container). All afternoon, we'd be in the patch of grass alongside our apartment building, shooting at empty soda cans we'd line up on the train tracks (which were just a few short steps up a rocky embankment). I remember trying to fire as fast as I could sometimes, just to see how many bb's I could get out before I ran out or the CO2 cart started to die. This was an acceptable and fun pastime, and it was safe because I was taught safety... and I didn't grow up stupid. Hell, kids decades before me would carry their rifles out into the woods and shoot at tin cans and stumps and what not and nobody freaked out or died.

It was 1980 and I was 10 and I was living in suburbs south of Chicago. Today, this kind of activity would be nearly unheard of... and people would freak the hell out about it, I'm sure.

Pretty sad. What's happening to the world?

m03
08-21-2012, 5:03 PM
SB1315 is something huge in the airsoft community considering many of the companies are located within LA County. And if it does pass, these companies will have to up and move away, this will disemploy many and opportunities will no longer be available in the county.

My job included as I work in manufacturing. One of the major offenses proposed by De Leon.

There are always jobs here and De Leon wants to take those opportunities away.

Are they even discussing this on the airsoft forums? I did a search on a couple of larger ones that I found via Google, but couldn't find anything being discussed.

Spiggy
08-21-2012, 7:20 PM
I know it's fairly big in the Los Angeles area because that's where the newly amended bill is directly affecting.

Mind, the area is home to many of the largest retailers, distributors, and manufacturers in the US.

zum
08-21-2012, 7:50 PM
this video will warm the heart... this dad brought both his young daughter and son to shoot their BB guns at a local IDPA match

she runs out of gas but they finished all the stages with better scores then me i think haha

vMSY3k1JVSo&sns=em