PDA

View Full Version : Yikes!

Quiet Man
08-17-2012, 10:02 PM
I moved to Cali about a year and a half ago. Just learned about the import registration requirement. Remembered an old 22 Ruger Mach 1 target pistol I own but haven't touched in 30 years. Can it still be registered past the 60 day limit or must I turn it in?

Librarian
08-17-2012, 10:06 PM
I moved to Cali about a year and a half ago. Just learned about the import registration requirement. Remembered an old 22 Ruger Mach 1 target pistol I own but haven't touched in 30 years. Can it still be registered past the 60 day limit or must I turn it in?

Register.

No penalty if the way they find out is your registration form.

Quiet Man
08-18-2012, 4:59 AM
Register.

No penalty if the way they find out is your registration form.

But the form asks for DL number and the issue date can be ascertained.

Ed_Hazard
08-18-2012, 5:19 AM
But the form asks for DL number and the issue date can be ascertained.

Does not matter, the state wants as many guns registered as posssible. To encourage this they dont hold too strict to the 60 days.

Librarian
08-18-2012, 12:58 PM
So even if the piece is not on the roster its okay? Not an assault piece. OMG I have an old AMT Back-up too. Never shot.

Right.

Roster restricts CA FFLs on what they can sell to whom. Doesn't apply to anybody else.

The bit about 'the 60 days is "soft" is at PC 27570 (http://law.onecle.com/california/penal/27570.html) (a) It is the intent of the Legislature that a violation of
Section 27560 or 27565 shall not constitute a "continuing offense"
and the statute of limitations for commencing a prosecution for a
violation of Section 27560 or 27565 commences on the date that the
applicable grace period specified in Section 27560 or 27565 expires.
(b) Sections 27560 and 27565 shall not apply to a person who
reports ownership of a handgun after the applicable grace period
specified in Section 27560 or 27565 expires if evidence of that
violation arises only as the result of the person submitting the
report described in Section 27560 or 27565.

Quiet Man
08-18-2012, 2:21 PM
Thanks, Ed & Librarian; Sounds like it's wise to do it. I moved here from NM & NY before that. The boxes never got unpacked. Want to be in compliance. Sound safe enough to do so. Looks like the AMT was made in Covina, CA. If I move I assume I'll have to update my address with the CA DoJ. And if I move out of state?

Munk
08-18-2012, 10:45 PM
Thanks, Ed & Librarian; Sounds like it's wise to do it. I moved here from NM & NY before that. The boxes never got unpacked. Want to be in compliance. Sound safe enough to do so. Looks like the AMT was made in Covina, CA. If I move I assume I'll have to update my address with the CA DoJ. And if I move out of state?

If you move out of state, you'll still have the CA record of having owned a gun here. I'm sure there's a form somewhere about having moved out, but it's not exactly relevant.

If you ever sell the gun or otherwise transfer it away, there's a "No Longer In Possession" (NLIP) form that you can fill out which will sort of de-register it.

So go ahead and register the gun; by registering, you're protecting yourself thanks to the part Librarian emphasized about how they find out about the gun. Then you can just pretty much forget about the issue.

Quiet Man
08-19-2012, 4:00 PM
Thanks Munk. Good to know.

Quiet Man
08-22-2012, 4:57 PM
Done. Now the wait.

Quiet Man
01-01-2013, 3:19 PM
Finally got confirmation of registration a couple weeks ago. Thought they lost the paperwork. Thanks all for the help.