PDA

View Full Version : What weapon would you place in a survival kit?

mexicancolt1
08-17-2012, 9:32 PM
Up for general discussion.

I am working on building a survival kit. Something that I would keep at the house and could quickly run with, in case of an emergency. If the world was ending and I only had a few minutes to pack, what would I need. I am going to purchase a large metal suit case and build my own personalized "Survival Kit"

I've written down some essencials that will be included, but my delima lies with which weapons will I include. I have a nice collection of Colts Revolvers and Semi-Auto. Also have a few Shotguns, Large Caliber Hunting Rifles and a half dozen .22 Rifles. I'm thinking I may need to go out and purchase something different than what I currently own. Not Sure.

My first thought is to include a Browning High Power 9mm. With Hi-cap magazines. Light weight and I can carry in a shoulder holster.

Second weapon would be my 6 inch Stainless Colt Python. High stopping power. I would carry on my hip.

Third and last weapon would be my Pre-ban Colt AR-15.

The more I think about my choices, the more I think about including a Shotgun. In any case, lend me your thoughts.

What would you include in a Survival Kit?
Remember, you must be able to carry what you include.

Thanks
Mark

Czechsix
08-17-2012, 9:42 PM
A .22lr, in whatever flavor floats your boat. I have some reliable AR-7's, but I might just bring along a simple .22lr bolt action. If I want a pistol along with it, maybe a kit gun, or a simple Ruger MkII/III.

Then I'd pack some SSS Aguila 60gr, and a brick of Velocitors. And then I would stay as far away from people as possible.

FX-05 Xiuhcoatl
08-17-2012, 9:48 PM
22 bolt action rifle 2000rds
slingshot, YES I SAID SLINGSHOT I'm real good with it and I would use it on small game from birds to cats :)
3 good hunting knifes and 2 sharpening stones

Bill Carson
08-17-2012, 9:52 PM
I think the bigger question is ammo. It would be nice to be able to carry one kind of ammo that fits your rifle and your handgun.

tdyoung1958
08-17-2012, 10:00 PM
I'd choose a 357 mag revolver and a lever action in 357 mag. It can shoot either .357 or 38, ammo is fairly light, and powerful enough to dispatch most critters, either two or four legged as needed

mexicancolt1
08-17-2012, 10:08 PM
I thought about the ammo issue as well. I do have a lever action .357 Also like the idea of a standard .22 US Survival kit rifle. Great ideas. I would also include a few knives in the kit.

SilverTauron
08-17-2012, 10:11 PM
Keep the weapon lightweight ,easy to access and concealable. This eliminates most rifles from consideration.The world may be ending, but you don't want the passers by to know you are armed unless its time to put lead downrange.

If society is collapsing, it stands to reason you may be on your feet for a while. Trust me when I say a rifle is a PITA to carry for a long march.A concealable pistol with a LOT of spare ammunition makes more sense for the lone survivalist striking out for safe territory.This also makes sense from a pure survival standpoint as others around will have guns and rifles too, and with a concealed weapon the option to talk one's way out of danger still exists.That is foreclosed upon when the first thing strangers see is a loaded semi-auto rifle.

As far as pistol choice is concerned, I would submit that the user should select whatever weapon they shoot the best regardless of caliber. Whether the handgun in question is a .22LR or a 10mm auto, its safe to say in an end-of-society event gun stores and ammo sources will be closed, raided, or guarded heavily by people unlikely to hand out ammo to wandering strangers. Whatever ammo is in the "go bag" may be all that's accessible for the immediate future, and thus its important not one shot be wasted.

Carbuncle
08-17-2012, 10:23 PM
Probably one of those survival AR-7s(with a scope) and a good generic 9mm or .40 compact automatic since besides .22, 9mm and .40 are some of the most common calibers in the U.S.

InGrAM
08-17-2012, 10:26 PM
I think your Hi-Power idea is good, add a .22 rifle or pistol to that with 2000 + rounds and you are good to go, IMO.

mexicancolt1
08-17-2012, 10:44 PM
I'm really leaning towards purchasing an AR-7 and leaving the AR-15 behind. Plus its not a huge investment. I can place it in the Survival Kit and forget about it until needed. Didn't really consider the ammo issue. I do have a Colt Ace. Would match up well with the AR-7 and maybe add in the Browning High Power or a Smith Model 15 .22 revolver

choprzrul
08-17-2012, 10:47 PM
Whatever NATO is using.

Think spare parts + ammo + familiarity.

mexicancolt1
08-17-2012, 10:50 PM
I like your thinking Silvertauron, regarding the exposure of weapons. Afterall, the object is to survive. That may not happen if I'm engaging others that may armed.

jyo
08-17-2012, 11:13 PM
Your P35 is GTG---add some sort of 22 rifle and as ammo as you can carry. My experience with the AR-7 is mostly negitive---plus limited mag capacity---10-22 much better especially if you have a stash of pre-ban 25 rd mags!

mexicancolt1
08-17-2012, 11:18 PM
If not an AR-7, is there another Kit .22 available. I have an older Ruger 10/22. Is the new 2 piece Ruger takedown any good?

Carbuncle
08-18-2012, 12:28 AM
From what I understand, as long as you stick to the Henry ones, the AR-7 is decent.
The real problem is that people expect it to have non-collapsible rifle accuracy and reliability. But it's not it's a survival/emergency rifle, meaning it's something you shove into a backpack/duffelbag and forget about till you run into SHTF situation.
It's main features are the fact that it is extremely light and breaks down into it's own compact, water-tight container for easy transport, not something you are going to putting thousands of rounds through without ever encountering a a single hiccup with. Thus why you also want a good reliable handgun in your survival kit as well.
It's a survival kit, not a "grab the kids and the dog and toss everything and the kitchen sink in the back of the truck and take a long weekend" kit.

jewboy929
08-18-2012, 12:57 AM
20 gauge shotgun, light weight and versatile with ammo choices for just about evrything

TAK
08-18-2012, 1:22 AM
Anything more than a .22 is stupid.

It can kill anything you would need for food and could be used as protection against humans. You can carry a huge amount of ammo in a small amount of space. In a situation where you had to "bug out" arose you're not going to be able to stay in a populated area. Don't waste space on rifles and pistols and ammo that will be useless to you after you have run out of your short supply of ammo. If you can't carry it on your back its useless. If you have already planned you will have a vehicle the entire time you are already screwed.

TacticalPlinker
08-18-2012, 1:24 AM
I think it depends on the specific scenario. If self defense will be required, a larger caliber rifle like an AK or AR would be suggested... you can also hunt with them.

I'd also take a handgun regardless, in a popular caliber (9mm, 40, 38, 357, 45, etc.), for close quarters defensive purposes.

That being said, I'd avoid a shotgun, because you simply can't carry a lot of ammo. Regardless of the caliber, shotgun shells take up a lot of space and equal a lot of weight, even a .410, though it's smaller than any other shotgun caliber (gauge).

If defense is not a prime concern, I'd take a .22 rifle, because it's quieter, versatile, virtually no recoil, and you can carry literally thousands of rounds without the weight or space of larger calibers. A .22 rifle can also be used for defense, but I think it depends more on who or what you will need to defend yourself against.

You can also go the handgun + .22 Rifle + large caliber rifle route. But I would not suggest it for an "on foot bug out" type scenario, as it will get heavy quickly. But if you have someone with you, let them carry the .22 rifle. That's exactly what I'd do, depending on the scenario, I'll carry the larger caliber rifle and my girlfriend can carry the .22 rifle. My shotgun would stay at home.

johnny1290
08-18-2012, 5:34 AM
How far can you run carrying pistols and mags and rifles, and worse yet ammo for it all? I'm not a one man army, I couldn't expect to survive long engaging in firefights. A .22 is the only pracitcal caliber for me. I've got a pistol and mags, and I could just remove my 10/22 stock and make my own damn takedown if I had to, and I might.

Food and water is heavy as hell. I *know* I need those things. The odds of me needing more than a .22 and 100 rounds are not very good.

I hate extra weight, so as much as I'd love a 9mm and an AK, the idea of carrying one with mags and ammo is not appealing to me.

1000stars
08-18-2012, 5:55 AM
.223 18" is a good all around rifle.

mexicancolt1
08-18-2012, 7:44 AM
If I had to tally up the comments, it seems that the majority would run with a smaller caliber 22. Makes sense. Going to check out the Henry A-7. (I don't have one). If not, I can include my 10/22.

My Colt Ace is heavy. Will need to purchase a .22 auto. Any recommendations?

Capybara
08-18-2012, 8:57 AM
Ruger SR22 and or a 10/22 would be my choices.

CDFingers
08-18-2012, 9:02 AM
Antibiotics.

CDFingers

Oceanbob
08-18-2012, 9:12 AM
There is an ongoing discussion down the page here:

Bug Out Bags (BOB)

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=147834

Lots of good information and ideas.

While I seriously doubt we will ever be in a 'movie' situation like recent story lines concerning zombies, the aftermath of rogue atomic weapons that have destroyed major cites and urban areas.....it is possible that you might need to survive for a while in other situations.

A thread over on Handguns...and my reply:

The only SHTF situation I can imagine is getting caught out of the area after a LARGE Earthquake that tumbles buildings, cracks roads, drops overpasses, cuts electrical and certainly some cell towers. Fires will be started and out of control, looters will break into stores for food; later into Target and Walmart for the usual expensive stuff they can steal. Local gangs will be roaming in certain areas and decisions would have to be made to either travel towards home or hunker down for the night.

I have a get home bag with some food, water and supplies for about 3 days. My only firearms are one GLOCK 20SF with 5 extra 15 round magazines and a Glock 19 with 1 extra magazine. (15 round, 9mm). I do change out handguns depending on my mood.

No rifles, no shotgun. I have comfortable shoes and a parka with hood. The handguns have holsters as well.

I do refill my tank when it gets down to half. I suspect I would do my best to drive home depending on the route.

That's it.

EDIT..another idea would be to check into a full service hotel for a while. Watch the riots and unrest on TV and travel when safe.

In most situations (excepting fire storms and radiation) I plan to BUG IN at home. The main goal is getting the family home if something hit the fan.

IceMinus
08-18-2012, 10:35 AM
The .22 is definitely the way to go. Even though i bought a ruger sr22 for the mrs. to plink with, it would definitely not be left behind. its accurate, its relatively new with maybe 500 rounds through it, but keeps performing without any hickups, and doesnt take up much room in my BOB. .22s are lightweight and pretty easy to clean and a box of 500 rounds weighs maybe 4-6lbs???

I myself would probably bring a compact 9mm that could be easily concealed with maybe 100 rounds. Unless you live in movie land and think you are going to be engaging targets all day, 100 rounds should last you long enough and gives you a little extra stopping power in a life or death scenario. i would love to take my p226 as i would bet my life on it in any scenario, at 3 lbs unloaded and not compact at all, it just isnt very practical in a bug out scenario if I had to leave on foot.

I really wish the sig sauer p226 classic chambered in .22lr was on the CA approved list. With a conversion kit you could have a .22 and a 9 in one pistol

PEZHEAD265
08-18-2012, 11:00 AM
I would skip the suitcase and get a nice size backpack to leave your hands free.Like you said you have to carry it so having different cal weapons makes a lot of added weight due to ammo.223,9mm and 22 are the most popular cal 38 and 357 are close behind.A good sturdy full tang knife is good and carry a good folder.The AR7 are not that accurate maybe a 1022 take down would be a better choice with a good 22 revolver.

wilit
08-18-2012, 11:28 AM
My bug out gun is a Winchester 1300 with a folding stock. I have a bandolier with a large selection of different rounds. Buckshot, slugs, birdshot, reduced charge rounds, flares, etc. I figure most situations can be covered by one of the shells I have packed away.

Mikelarry
08-18-2012, 12:07 PM
AK74 folding stock

Press Check
08-18-2012, 12:31 PM
In a survival situation where you intend to bug-out on-foot, the single most important thing to consider is how much weight you can comfortably carry without becoming fatigued quickly. That said, figure out how much weight you can carry in a one of the hiking-style backpacks with a chest harness, and integral hydration pack. Keep everything practical, and nothing tactical that would draw attention. Ultimately, the goal is to blend in with other survivors.

After you've figured out how much weight you can carry, divide everything you intend to carry in the BOB. For instance, if you can comfortably carry 25 pounds, figure out how much of that weight you want to devote to firearms and knives, food (MRE), survival equipment, first aid supplies, etc. You want your hands and arms free at all times, so never carry a case.

My choice in firearms would be a Ruger 22/45 with a red dot for fast target acquisition, in addition to a brick of 22LR ammunition.

Since a 22/45 weighs 2 pounds, and a brick of 22LR (CCI 525 rounds) weighs just over 3 pounds, you're at about 5.5 pounds between the pistol and ammunition, which is a modest amount of weight to carry on-foot in a survival situation.

The War Wagon
08-18-2012, 12:34 PM
.357 snubby

You might put OTHER weapons in there, too, but DON'T leave out the snubby!

surplus-addict
08-18-2012, 12:48 PM
Okay, first off: Forget the metal suitcase. Buy this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/USGI-WOODLAND-MOLLE-II-RUCKSACK-COMPLETE-EXTRAS-/140332032127

You can carry more in a comfortable package, AND it'll conceal and be lighter.

For the firearms. (this takes into account TWO people. For one person, take firearms no. 2 and no.3 only)

I suggest 3 firearms. Yes, 3. Hear me out.

1. A pump shotgun with a folding stock. Choose your make and model for this one. With a pump shotgun, you can stop bears, people, cars, and birds. When people could only afford one firearm, they bought a shotgun. It's reliable, and it's inexpensive, IE you can put more money towards ammo. With the folding stock, you can conceal it.

2. A Ruger 10/22 Takedown. With this, you can hit stuff out to 100-150 yards with ease (don't believe me? Go to an outdoor range and try it. It's super easy). The firearm is like the AK of 22's, it just doesn't stop working. It takes .22, so you can carry 1,000 rounds easy. I suggest you buy CCI mini-mags. It will take down your small game easily, and will also work as a self defense firearm in a pinch. Also, pickup 10 (yes, 10) BX-25 magazine rebuild kits. If the SHTF, you'll want these, screw the laws: they simply won't be there. Assemble them when you know the S is about to go down.

3. A Glock 19. Mags are inexpensive and everywhere (buy rebuild kits), they'll always run, they are relatively light, and 9mm is light weight and cheap. It works great as a self defense piece, and as a firearm to conceal.

With these three firearms, you can engage everything.

With the shotgun, you can defend yourself and gather birds, along with taking down vehicles (steel slugs baby ;) ) It's reliable and inexpensive, and with a folding stock, compact. This is your primary self defense piece.

With the Glock 19, it's your concealable firearm that you can have on you at all times. It works great against small targets and large with the right loads, is a great backup piece for the shotgun. This is your secondary self defense piece.

With the 10/22, it's your small game gathering firearm, and your long range piece. In a SHTF situation, I don't think a long range firearm is necessary, simple because if you're shooting past 200+ yards, you have ample time to bug out of the area. And if the law is still in place, it's kinda hard to explain that you had to shoot a looter 500 yards away in self defense. This is your third and last self defense piece

I hope this helps!

P.S.: If you're limited in weight, take the 10/22 and the Glock 19, each with extra ammo and mags.

DasBoost
08-18-2012, 4:42 PM
OP: I'd personally look at the Marlin Papoose alongside the AR7. I was looking at them for the same reasons and the Marlin, while not breaking down into as small a package as the AR7, was better built and regarded as more accurate and overall better build quality. Plus synthetic and stainless steel make a nice durable combo.

tbc
08-18-2012, 5:09 PM
My Ruger 10/22 TakeDown and HK USP compact.

CK_32
08-18-2012, 5:49 PM
AR15 and glock with holder and a few mags for both for rush.. Bug out I'm talking them all with all the ammo I have each family member is taking something or a few.. Can never have too many guns

SilverTauron
08-18-2012, 5:58 PM
This is slightly OT, but ive wondered for the longest how those of us with extensive gun collections would manage in the event of a time-sensitive evacuation?

I knew an NCO who had enough guns that he used separate U-haul truck to move them during his last PCS. I can hardly imagine an evacuation vehicle having enough room for a 500lb gun safe, so how do you guys decide what goes with and what gets to be destroyed?

Josh.Ollar
08-18-2012, 6:06 PM
12GA. i know it sounds boring but it is the highest powered weapon at close range plus all the differnt types of ammo choices from small game, man, bear, engine block...whatever
If u have room add ruger markIII, AR15, fire starter, knifes and ammo ammo ammo

Josh.Ollar
08-18-2012, 6:09 PM
.44 revolver and .44 lever action....great thread i could do this all day but i will try to hold back

CK_32
08-18-2012, 6:17 PM
This is slightly OT, but ive wondered for the longest how those of us with extensive gun collections would manage in the event of a time-sensitive evacuation?

I knew an NCO who had enough guns that he used separate U-haul truck to move them during his last PCS. I can hardly imagine an evacuation vehicle having enough room for a 500lb gun safe, so how do you guys decide what goes with and what gets to be destroyed?

I only have 5 total guns right now with about 10 imidaite members I'd bug out with. So till then I'll grab all so everyone has a way of defending or we have options for scenarios.. But if I get like some of these other guys and have 60 to 70 guns to my name I bet I can leave a few behind in the safe.

Maddog5150
08-18-2012, 6:19 PM
Op, you said in your first post that you thought about including a shotgun, was this on top of an AR? Have you ever ran with a long gun? What about two? I would suggest keeping light

Carbuncle
08-18-2012, 8:20 PM

Thus the bug out bag/survival kit. You ditch everything you can't hoof it with for a reasonable distance(and number of days, gotta remember that in a SHTF situation where it's better for you to get out of dodge then hunker down you aren't just going to be jogging for a few hours, but for a couple of days) before you become too tired to continue on.
If a particular firearm has some significant meaning (first firearm, particularly important gift from a loved one), you should either store it in, or near your kit so you can grab it when you run.
Other than that one special gun, you want the lightest most reliable firearm you own in the kit(thus why a couple of us recommended one of those collapsible AR-7s), and a few hundred rounds.
You can't count on having your vehicle to get you out of town in one of these scenarios. In all likely hood, everyone and their dog will be trying to bug out as well, you are more libel to get caught in the mother of all traffic jam/vehicle pile ups then get away.
And remember, in the event society is permanently FUBAR and your new Grizzly Adams lifestyle is permanent, unless you are trying to live out your Last Action Hero/Red Dawn fantasies(in which case you are an idiot and will probably die an early death. In which case I will be more than happy to scavenge off your corpse) or a really bad shot, you probably aren't going to need more than a few hundred rounds in your entire lifetime.

dualampman
08-18-2012, 8:44 PM
a small .22 semi auto barretta pistol and my ruger 10/22 with a scope, I can hunt and defend with them, and there easy enough for anyone in the family to handle, load, operate effectively. ammo is cheap and easy enough to stock up on and to carry out in your bug out bag.

voiceofreason
08-19-2012, 2:40 AM
I'd take a carbine over a shotgun. Primarily due to the amount of ammo you can carry/# of rounds for the weight.

With a decent caliber handgun 9mm+, I'd just bring a lightweight .22 rifle and a box of .22 ammo (300-500 rds).

mexicancolt1
08-19-2012, 8:47 AM
The reason for this thread is to get us Calgunners thinking of "WHAT IF". I have friends and family (2 sons and wife) that understands if there was a huge occurance we are all to meet at my home. I have enough weapons to sufficiently arm 50 people, with ammo to match. In the event we can not meet at my home, I may need to venture out and locate them.

The one thing I do not have is my own personal kit. The metal case I speak of, is only for storage and quick transfer of weapons into a car or to my body. I think the backpack concept is spot-on. I do have one, pre-packed with survival goodies.

If I had to leave my safety nest, I would have a backpack with ammo and supplies. Additonally, I was thinking of arming myself with 3 weapons.

1. Shoulder-holster pistols
2. Side hip holster pistols
3. Some type of rifle

So far, I leaning towards smaller caliber weapons. A 9mm and .22 caliber pistol and .22 rifle w/scope. In addition I would have a full sized K-Bar knife and smaller folding knife in my pocket

I could carry extra magazines and ammo in the backback with my other survival goodies.

Any other comments and recommendations as to weapons?

Nyanman
08-19-2012, 1:15 PM
I cannot remember what place made it, but it was a .22 pack rifle that weighed about a pound or so. Made by a machining company, not a regular firearm company.
Something like that would be good in a wilderness survival kit for backpackers or just people who want to travel light.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

o0RedEyE0o
08-19-2012, 1:40 PM

A picture of Peslosi.... lightweight and effective.

gti_20ae
08-19-2012, 2:19 PM

Stop spreading FUD, I heard Peslosi picture only works on vampire and werewolf. They are not effective on zombie and liberal.

J/K

tbc
08-19-2012, 3:12 PM

This one is more effective.

http://img.tapatalk.com/446f400c-64b6-9656.jpg

den888
08-19-2012, 6:03 PM
Probably a Glock, which is durable in adverse environments.

bombadillo
08-19-2012, 6:16 PM
First before I can answer, how many guns are you looking to carry with you. If its only one gun, that would make a huge difference. If you're carrying 2, it'll be a whol different answer.

Bunsen
08-19-2012, 6:33 PM
I would go with a 10/22 and either a Glock or similar gun in 9mm with a 22 conversion barrel. Keep the handgun on me most of the time and the rifle in the backpack. I would get a couple of the tri-mags for the 10/22.

go4kil
08-19-2012, 7:05 PM
I would like to have the takedown sniper on Bourne supremacy, i think its Nemesis Arms Vanquish http://www.imfdb.org/w/images/b/b1/Nemesis_Arms_Vanquish.jpg. a 9mm handgun, and a good knife. make everything as light as possible

mexicancolt1
08-19-2012, 7:31 PM
The NAV is Bad Arse! $5000 weapon and weights 12 pounds. Probably not going to happen unless I was Arnold Alois Schwarzenegger.

So far, going with a Browning High Power 9mm. A .22 Semi-auto pistol (Not sure of make or model) and a Survival A-7

bombadillo
08-19-2012, 7:38 PM
A good lightweight gun to reach out would be a Tikka T3 Lite stainless that you can paint up camo or other color, stainless to be non corrosive and last a long time, around 6lbs or so, and a tac driver. I'd also carry any medium caliber handgun like a double stack 9mm that can hold 15+ rounds in a magazine and still has enough oompf to stop something. If you want a really great combo, Baikal (USSG) makes a 12ga/.308 combo gun that will do everything you want all in one. It'll take most any game in north america, and you get the shotgun for birds, buckshot, or any small game where supreme accuracy isn't such a must. I'd bail on the .22lr unless you want to chase things down. There are all kinds of combos out there but I really like that one a lot.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/images/60298.jpg

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/37_229/products_id/60298/USSG+Blue+Walnut+12+Ga308+Win.+Combo+wPicatinny+Ra il

This is a killer combo gun.

m4colt1911
08-19-2012, 7:45 PM
as for weapons
Keep it simple, some low tech gear,a great blade, hi end slingshot, a high power pelet rifle , carry thousands of pelets in a box of tic tacs ,have it silenced, for hunting...

and just incase **** hits the fan...pack pistols over rifles...
9mm cz75b
1911 .357/38
revolver .357/28

orrrrrrr

a keltec su16ca, hi cap ar mags and all the ammo you can carry it a perfect gun its so light.

iron sights only!

its what ill do...say the world were to end :)

SJgunguy24
08-19-2012, 7:49 PM
A glock 17 with a mech tech carbine conversion. Mags can be found anywhere and the same with parts.
This also sounds like a great reason to build a krink in 556 and convert it for AR mags. I love my AR mag fed Saiga in 556, it eats everthing I feed it and so far every mag I use runs like a champ. Couple that with the 18" overall length of a side folding krink and your pretty much set with the best of both worlds.

bombadillo
08-19-2012, 8:03 PM
as for weapons
Keep it simple, some low tech gear,a great blade, hi end slingshot, a high power pelet rifle , carry thousands of pelets in a box of tic tacs ,have it silenced, for hunting...

and just incase **** hits the fan...pack pistols over rifles...
9mm cz75b
1911 .357/38
revolver .357/28

orrrrrrr

a keltec su16ca, hi cap ar mags and all the ammo you can carry it a perfect gun its so light.

iron sights only!

its what ill do...say the world were to end :)

I'll take a light carbine over a pistol most any day. I don't want someone getting close enough to have to use a pistol, and an airgun won't cut it if they're 75 yards or more out. Even a little .17hmr will do the trick from 100-200 yards and they're quiet as well as accurate. That combo gun I posted above I think is the best of all worlds. It breaks down to put it in a bag, its a big bore shotgun, as well as a solid medium sized rifle for deer, elk, bear, or two legged creatures. I would also carry the handgun for sub 50 yards and carry multiple mags of 15-17 rounds apiece for suppressive fire as well as general defense of your camp, and elsewhere. Lots of options, but I'm just saying one method.

If I had to live on what I currently own, it would be myself with an AR-15, my wife carrying my 870, her carrying the Kahr CW9, and me probably with my Ruger P345 because its the most reliable gun that I'm very proficient with. Sure I have other guns that may be more expensive, but its what I have trained with the most.

barbasol
08-19-2012, 8:24 PM
I saw a savage 24 in the forums recently. 22lr/20ga combo gun. That and a hi cap 9mm pistol would be great. Not sure of weight on the combo gun.

I would be most concerned with putting food on the table.

dixieD
08-20-2012, 8:35 AM
My kit would include a Calguns.net bullet-buttoned AR15 (with the original magazine release button and spring in the kit), a Kimber 1911, tac-lite, Applegate combat folder, and Last Legend Katana with of course and adequate supply of 556, 45 and surefire batteries. I would have my ham handytalky and water purification filters.

If there is time the whole collection goes to family.

Dantedamean
08-20-2012, 11:07 AM
Get some high cap mags. I'd get a few quad stacks. They can hold 60 556 and don't take up much more space then a 30. Although I have no idea as to reliability.

I personally would get a glock with several high cap mags. I've seen stuff online at how reliable glocks are, end of the world, I'll take my glock thank you.

Knives, several knives. They don't run out of ammo, they don't jam, and there silent. I personally like Tanto blades. They are designed for stabbing, if you know anything about knife fighting, you know stabbing is the majority of attacking. Avoid serration, unless it's for a utility knife. Serration will just get hung up on stuff during a fight. Another good knife to look into is Ka Bar TDI knife. Small compact and easy to draw. The last ditch is also easy to conceal depending on the situation.

Another important thing to have is knowledge. Go on cheaper than dirt ( yes I know they blow ) look in there book section, they have military training manuals. Training manuals like those are very important to surviving. ( On a side note, after reading the imporvised munitions I now see why the government wants to regulate fertilizer. ) also laminate some maps of the local area. One thing I've been thinking I need to do, is try and find a map of the sewers. It may come in handy one day. Stuff like that is always good for a bug out kit. Knowledge is the greatest weapon in your arsenal, it's the one thing the government can't ban and has one hell of a time regulating. I've always told my friends knowledge isn't illegal, executing it is.

bombadillo
08-20-2012, 11:13 AM
Speaking of a great little knife, the Cold Steel "Kobun" is a 6" tanto knife with decent steel for a whopping $29.99. Comes with a nice little kydex scabbard and has a really solid clip on it for belt, backpack or otherwise. Here's mine that I just bought.

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l122/bombadillo08/IMAG0023.jpg

And this is for size comparison. The handle is VERY thin which makes it very packable, has a nice rubberized texture on the grip and comes just right from the factory for how sharp it is. I'd buy another one in a heartbeat at $29.99 from amazon with free shipping, no tax.

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l122/bombadillo08/IMAG0027.jpg

SilverTauron
08-20-2012, 12:25 PM
I'll take a light carbine over a pistol most any day. I don't want someone getting close enough to have to use a pistol, and an airgun won't cut it if they're 75 yards or more out. Even a little .17hmr will do the trick from 100-200 yards and they're quiet as well as accurate. That combo gun I posted above I think is the best of all worlds. It breaks down to put it in a bag, its a big bore shotgun, as well as a solid medium sized rifle for deer, elk, bear, or two legged creatures. I would also carry the handgun for sub 50 yards and carry multiple mags of 15-17 rounds apiece for suppressive fire as well as general defense of your camp, and elsewhere. Lots of options, but I'm just saying one method.

My take on this subject-you cannot approach an emergency situation with the same attitude of a casual trip to the range.

Rifles are hard to carry.A bone stock AR15 seems light when you shoot it , but try carrying that thing for 5 miles on foot.The more you have to carry, the more energy is expended and the more amounts of finite food and water are used. Remember the most likely killers in an emergency aren't bullets and armed combat, but dehydration and malnutrition.

The "carry problem" is mitigated by breaking it down, but now its useless for nearly every situation of personal defense. The bad guy isn't going to wait patiently while you put your long arm together. Even if the other party is yards downrange, they won't be by the time you get the weapon assembled and loaded. Note that the Tueller Drill reveals an old man can cover 21 feet in about 2 seconds.No one I know can pull an AR15 out of a bag and get it in batter before that time is up. Screw up the re-assembly under stress and the rifle becomes a paperweight which soon will to belong to your attacker.

Even in SHTF situations,civil social interaction is still necessary.Not every person you meet "after the end" is going to be a deadly threat to your life.Just like in normal times, you cannot go about shooting people based on suspicion alone if you intend to live long. That considered its somewhat hard to build trust and establish social relationships from behind the sights of a rifle. In order for you to determine whether the stranger you encounter is ally or foe, you must get close enough to converse. Talking to someone 100 yards away without technology is quite difficult.

I stand by my previous post that the ideal SHTF armament is a concealable pistol that you can shoot well. If someone is drawing a bead on you with a long arm at 200 yards and that someone is skilled enough, your first warning of an attack will be a painful hole being blown through you. Assuming they miss, your most likely avenue of survival is escape, not putting together your long arm and playing Enemy at the Gates in a world without medical care or trauma treatment.

By comparison, any handgun is more than capable of engaging targets under 100 yards. There's a documented shooting of a crazed shooter at Fairchild AFB who got a 9mm FMJ round put into his spine from 70 yards away by a base MP packing a line-issue Beretta pistol. Hickock45 routinely hits a gong 230 yards away using 3" barrel store bought handguns. A concealable pistol with lots of backup ammo makes more sense than any rifle ,especially in a SHTF situation. Should you be set upon by criminals intent on doing violent things to your wife or girlfriend in a world without law and order, the element of surprise will be worth 10X its weight in gold. This is preferable to being scouted and shot dead from the start due to the bad guys seeing a slung rifle on your shoulder.

bombadillo
08-20-2012, 1:20 PM
I understand all those concepts you stated, but whats stopping me from carrying a lightweight carbine ready to fire with the safety on. I've got very lightweight rifles and have carried them quite a distance so unless a person is just flat out of shape, it may be a hard thing to do. I'm in good enough shape to carry a bag, sidearm, and a carbine of some sort proficiently. I'm not advocating carrying only a rifle, I'm saying carry BOTH. I would want a 9mm or so round so I can have something with 15 or more rounds as well as a carbine or the O/U from Baikal I showed earlier. The O/U is only 7lbs and has an OAL of 40" or so. If need be, it can be broken down into a pack, or carried with a sling. Thats the best of all worlds IMO because you have a pistol for protection, a shotgun for birds, and a rifle for game. It'll get you through just about anything if it came down to it. Just because someone can hit plates at 100-200 yards with a pistol doesn't make it practical either. I shoot my Ruger MKIII Slab side at 200 yards on a regular basis, but wouldn't use it for protection at those ranges by any stretch of the imagination, thats what a rifle is for. If I failed to shoot them at distance, then they would advance and be inside pistol range at 50 yards or less.

I also carry my rifles with a 2pt sling so I can access it quickly and safely, while not having to hold it in my hand for a 5 mile hump. I didn't say that I was going to be sighting people in at a couple hundred yards each time I met someone either, that was something you stated for me.

mexicancolt1
08-20-2012, 7:14 PM
I would love to carry a huge arsenal of weapons. I own quite a few nasty weapons. Issue is I'm thinking I will be on foot and will also being carrying a backpack of other necessary supplies. Supplies that I will need to live on. Weapons may or may not be necessary. Food and water will be a must. I want to keep my weapon selection small, simple and effective.

silversrt
08-21-2012, 12:29 AM
357 revolver and a 357 winchester 16" lever action.

Carbuncle
08-21-2012, 12:45 AM
Stop spreading FUD, I heard Peslosi picture only works on vampire and werewolf. They are not effective on zombie and liberal.

J/K
As a liberal, I can guarantee you, that picture is a big deterrent to me. Thought being a firearm owner probably moves me out of the "average liberal" category.

stix213
08-21-2012, 1:33 AM
There is a good argument for a light weight AR, where you can bring .223 and a CMMG conversion bolt for .22lr out of the same rifle. Maybe an AR pistol?

I fired my Rossi Tuffy .410 for the first time over the weekend. Shot a few clays with it to test it out. It would be high on my list at only 3lb. Also holds 4 shells in the stock. Actually bought it after watching Out of the Wild: Alaska Experiment, and noticed that while they couldn't catch anything with the larger rifle they had, they got half their meals with a .410 even as novice shooters.

http://www.rossiusa.com/images/imagesMain/S41118BTUF.jpg