PDA

View Full Version : Help with GLOCK failure.

drunktank
08-17-2012, 6:15 PM
Shooting a 19 today and had a failure. Spent brass was backwards, parallel to the slide. It was wedged between the barrel and slide (I'll try to provide a picture by tonight). The slide could not go back into battery because of this. It was around the 3rd cartridge fired. WWB ammo and newish factory 15rnd mags. Don't think it was limp wristing as I shoot mine without issues. The spent brass has a scrape mark on the side, like the ejector scraped it or something. I'll try to post that as well ASAP. I hope I described the problem well enough, without having the pictures posted. Any idea?

HighLander51
08-17-2012, 6:21 PM
Shooting a 19 today and had a failure. Spent brass was backwards, parallel to the slide. It was wedged between the barrel and slide (I'll try to provide a picture by tonight). The slide could not go back into battery because of this. It was around the 3rd cartridge fired. WWB ammo and newish factory 15rnd mags. Don't think it was limp wristing as I shoot mine without issues. The spent brass has a scrape mark on the side, like the ejector scraped it or something. I'll try to post that as well ASAP. I hope I described the problem well enough, without having the pictures posted. Any idea?

Without seeing your grip, it sounds like a shooter issue. Ejectors do not scrape brass, they push on the back of the case to flip it out. What gen Glock is it? And does it have any aftermarket parts in it?

VictorFranko
08-17-2012, 6:23 PM
"as I shoot mine without issues"
So you were shooting a rental or a borrowed gun?

08-17-2012, 6:24 PM
A G19 failed!!!
Im gonna take a guess and say its an extractor issue? OR maybe underpowered round?

drunktank
08-17-2012, 6:34 PM
Gen 3. I'll post a picture of my grip also when I get home, but it's a thumbs foward grip. Family member's 19. Has just under 1k rounds and made in 2010 I believe. Gun was cleaned and lubed before firing.

JTROKS
08-17-2012, 6:50 PM
Has just under 1k rounds and made in 2010 I believe. Gun was cleaned and lubed before firing.

Thats the problem right there, Glocks should be shot more and dont require cleaning and lubing.

Did the problem persist or was that the only incident during your range session. The round could have also been the only under powered round from the box.

daNkiest
08-17-2012, 7:02 PM
^dont know if your joking but every time I hear someone say you don't have to clean or lube a glock makes me wanna slap them. :facepalm:

Op, has this ever happened before. Wait your not the owner.

drunktank
08-17-2012, 7:20 PM
It's a cousin's gun and he said he had 1 stovepipe during the first 200 rounds. Not a malfunction since. Those were with factory 10 round mags using PMC FMJ's. According to him, it's the only instance up until now. I've had a stovepipe as well the first time I took my 19 out too, but I was shooting reloads and a different mag if that matters any. Thanks for the input so far, I appreciate it. Still working on pics - need to get on my computer at home.

* to elaborate, during My stovepipe when MY 19 was new, the mag used was a different one in question as today's malfunction.

This glock is completely stock.

Oceanbob
08-17-2012, 7:20 PM
I've had several under powered rounds from WWB....just saying.

As long as she runs 100% with your choice of self defense ammo I wouldn't fret about it much. Plinking ammo is usually weak and especially if it was 115 grain, that would be the problem.

MA2
08-17-2012, 7:25 PM
Welcome to the club, should be a known issue by now :p:(:o:(
I'm waiting for the Apex extractor (lone wolf makes a replacement one too).

That or ship back to Glock, they might fix it.

INFAMOUS762X39
08-17-2012, 7:43 PM
I wish this thread was posted yesterday. Ran to wallyworld after work today to pick up 200 Rds of WWB for my Glock 19....:cool:

I am picking her up Sunday afternoon. I was excited but after reading this, total buzz kill. Well, you learn something new everyday.

kauaibuilt
08-17-2012, 7:45 PM

Everything I heard about the Glock prototype Apex Extractor has been great. Have the FSE on my M&P and it throws brass consistently 2 lanes over....

Sam
08-17-2012, 8:15 PM
I wish this thread was posted yesterday. Ran to wallyworld after work today to pick up 200 Rds of WWB for my Glock 19....:cool:

I am picking her up Sunday afternoon. I was excited but after reading this, total buzz kill. Well, you learn something new everyday.

I haven't had any problems with WWB. Champion and UMC on the other hand...

Shenaniguns
08-17-2012, 8:16 PM
It may be an extractor problem, call Glock if it happens again. If you're interested in Apex's extractor it should be out in September some time.

Shenaniguns
08-17-2012, 8:27 PM
I haven't had any problems with WWB. Champion and UMC on the other hand...

UMC even gives me some occasional erratic ejection over my head with Apex's extractor, same with my buddies older G19 so I blame the ammo. Hell it groups horribly at close distances too.

But no ammo has come back at my face again with Apex's corrected extractor.

dkthree
08-17-2012, 9:10 PM
I've had several under powered rounds from WWB....just saying.

As long as she runs 100% with your choice of self defense ammo I wouldn't fret about it much. Plinking ammo is usually weak and especially if it was 115 grain, that would be the problem.

This. My dad had a squib from WWB and the bullet lodged at the point where the next round would load but the hammer wouldn't hit the firing pin...Woulda been bad if it did.

Shapes And Colors
08-17-2012, 9:14 PM

Buy a new extractor or spend the month or two sending it to Glock over a single failure?

OP, I have had that exact failure once in my 23 as well, it was WWB. Inspecting the case afterwards, I too noticed a scrape down the side. I counted it as an ammo issue and haven't had another issue in 3000 rounds.

swifty
08-17-2012, 9:28 PM
~ Clean.
~ Lube.
~ Use quality ammo.
~ Don't limp wrist.

~~~

On earlier Glocks the slide in the area of the extractor was cut at 90 to the outside of the slide. Later Glocks have the this area angled to give the case more room to roll out during ejection, and not bounce back forward into the port.

~~~

Check the extractor hook, look for chips or breakage. If it's not broken it should be fine. The plunger pushing against the extractor should be steel, not plastic, if it is plastic then the assembly needs turned around.

far from tactical
08-17-2012, 11:58 PM

You should be good with the WWB I feed that to my 19 when ever walllyworld dosnt have federal on hand as well I feed it reloads and it takes it you should be good to go

Turbinator
08-18-2012, 10:49 AM

I just mapped out your location, N. Fontucky. Sounds like you're in CA. Not sure how you have "newish factory 15 round mags" with this gun. Suggest you be careful.

Turby

spetsnaz
08-18-2012, 11:01 AM
Im going to say its the wwb. I hate this ammo.

INFAMOUS762X39
08-18-2012, 11:07 AM
You should be good with the WWB I feed that to my 19 when ever walllyworld dosnt have federal on hand as well I feed it reloads and it takes it you should be good to go

Just did a little homework, my results: Federal Champion 9mm is probably the worst choice for Glocks it's very weak ammo. UMC and WWB are bulk/cheap ammo, self explanatory.

dem0critus
08-18-2012, 11:11 AM
its probably because you either cleaned it, didn't clean it, used lube at all, lubed it too much, didn't hold it tight enough, or didn't get glock-worthy ammo...?

it perceived iron clad reliability of glocks astonishes me.

Not hatin' on glocks, no gun can be expected to have no problems ever, but I just don't get it.

jyo
08-18-2012, 11:13 AM
I would tend to look at your grip---the whole thumbs-forward thing was developed by shooting games and lacks the advantage of the opposing thumb---the reason we have opposing thumbs is to lock the thumb down for a better, firmer grip. Back when I was in the retail gun business, LOTS of folks came back telling me their Glock was jamming---I then took their pistol back into our one-lane test firing lane and the pistol always worked just fine with whatever ammo we had back there (usually damaged boxes that could not be sold). Just my two cents...

dem0critus
08-18-2012, 11:18 AM
the whole thumbs-forward thing was developed by shooting games and lacks the advantage of the opposing thumb---the reason we have opposing thumbs is to lock the thumb down for a better, firmer grip.

ya i've never seen a shooting game where the characters use anything close to a thumbs forward grip. I dunno why, but I get the idea that most IPSC shooters use thumbs forward for a reason other than that it's in video games, lol.

SilverTauron
08-18-2012, 11:23 AM
its probably because you either cleaned it, didn't clean it, used lube at all, lubed it too much, didn't hold it tight enough, or didn't get glock-worthy ammo...?

it perceived iron clad reliability of glocks astonishes me.

Not hatin' on glocks, no gun can be expected to have no problems ever, but I just don't get it.

Clearly, if a Glock malfunctions one should consult an astronomer, for some property of the universe affecting our understanding of physics as we know it must have caused the failure. The idea of a Glock being made of metal and plastic which breaks due to general use is clearly preposterous.

;)

jyo
08-18-2012, 11:55 AM
Just to clarify my earlier remarks (post #24)---I am not a Glock fan, BUT I've never ran into a truly bad Glock pistol that would not fuction given decent ammo and firm grip. I tend to shoot my buddies Glock 21 .45 ACP better than he does---much to his disgust! Coming from an era when you had to take your Colt 1911 to a gunsmith just to get it to run, the Glocks showed 100% reliabilty (in my hands) right out of the box. Gotta give 'em that!

PolishMike
08-18-2012, 12:06 PM
Make sure all the internals are stock. Nothing ****s up a Glock like a ss/tungsten guide rod

ElDub1950
08-18-2012, 12:11 PM
Make sure all the internals are stock. Nothing ****s up a Glock like a ss/tungsten guide rod

Only exceeded by amateur gunsmithing

tbc
08-18-2012, 12:26 PM

Why? Not to challenge you at all. I really like to know.

PolishMike
08-18-2012, 12:39 PM
Almost every single Glock we have had brought in with issues has had an aftermarket guide rod. Every time we put the stock one back in the gun magically works again.

tbc
08-18-2012, 12:42 PM
Any particular issues? Thanks.

PolishMike
08-18-2012, 12:49 PM
Failure to feeds mostly. Some failure to ejects too

Its a pretty well known issue but people always want blingy ****.

Just change the rsa every 2500 rounds for Gen 3 and 5000 for Gen 4 and the gun will keep working.

tbc
08-18-2012, 12:56 PM
... people always want blingy ****....

Lol. Very true. Thanks PolishMike.

INFAMOUS762X39
08-18-2012, 1:32 PM
Just change the rsa every 2500 rounds for Gen 3 and 5000 for Gen 4 and the gun will keep working.

Thanks for the tip Mike, quick question what's RSA? I am randomly guessing....the extractor? I get my first glock in 23.5Hrs.....

Should I clean it? or leave it be before firing?
I know I will run patches of CLP through the barrel though. Any tips would be appreciated.

Grumpyoldretiredcop
08-18-2012, 1:40 PM
ya i've never seen a shooting game where the characters use anything close to a thumbs forward grip. I dunno why, but I get the idea that most IPSC shooters use thumbs forward for a reason other than that it's in video games, lol.

One observation that I've made is that thumbs-forward allows more of the heel of the shooter's hand to make contact with the pistol frame/grip. Locking the strong side thumb down with the support side thumb raises the heel of the hand away from the pistol. Don't know if that's the reason or not.

Something I haven't seen mentioned is the possibility that the OP's thumbs-forward grip may have allowed the support hand thumb, the firing hand thumb, or even both to contact the slide, retarding extraction and causing this malfunction. I have observed this when training shooters, although not often.

drunktank
08-18-2012, 2:08 PM
I just mapped out your location, N. Fontucky. Sounds like you're in CA. Not sure how you have "newish factory 15 round mags" with this gun. Suggest you be careful.

Turby
Yes, it's Fontana :)

I rebuild all my mags after a certain amount of rounds, depending on the firearm. This mag has under 1k and is less than a year old, thus the newish description. Not too worried about being "careful" as they're legal and I even still have the original receipts from the 90's, but I do see your point thanks! I do notice shady people/comments regarding people and their preban claims.

Still no pics up, but I noticed on our spent brass, about half the rounds have a crease in the brass near where the bullet seats. Not sure if it's my pistol or his causing this. I'll check my brass next week when I go back to the range.
Still working on taking and posting pics to help describe whats going on.

Thanks again for all the helpful input.

Bill Carson
08-18-2012, 2:12 PM
Thanks for the tip Mike, quick question what's RSA? I am randomly guessing....the extractor? I get my first glock in 23.5Hrs.....

I know I will run patches of CLP through the barrel though. Any tips would be appreciated.
Load n Shoot.

drunktank
08-18-2012, 2:15 PM
Something I haven't seen mentioned is the possibility that the OP's thumbs-forward grip may have allowed the support hand thumb, the firing hand thumb, or even both to contact the slide, retarding extraction and causing this malfunction. I have observed this when training shooters, although not often.

Glad you pointed this out. My thumbs were clear of the slide. 9mmepiphany game me some great advice that I tried out. Long story short my thumbs used to press on the slide causing me inconsistency and bad groups. I change my grip and thumbs were very clear of slide. I'm thinking I limp wristed...

swifty
08-18-2012, 3:12 PM
...about half the rounds have a crease in the brass near where the bullet seats.

That is probably where the brass impacts the slide during ejection.

HighLander51
08-18-2012, 4:01 PM
Failure to feeds mostly. Some failure to ejects too

Its a pretty well known issue but people always want blingy ****.

Change the recoil spring assembly when it quits working, except for a carry gun. I went over 40,000 rounds on a G17 before the spring got weak, by the straight up trigger pull test.

far from tactical
08-19-2012, 12:58 AM
Just did a little homework, my results: Federal Champion 9mm is probably the worst choice for Glocks it's very weak ammo. UMC and WWB are bulk/cheap ammo, self explanatory.

Go right ahead and buy the expensive 9mm ammo. I haven't had any problems at all with Fed Wwb Or Remington and if you feel that 115gr is a weak load just start shooting with 147gr then

Shenaniguns
08-19-2012, 10:15 AM
Go right ahead and buy the expensive 9mm ammo. I haven't had any problems at all with Fed Wwb Or Remington and if you feel that 115gr is a weak load just start shooting with 147gr then

The truth is that some factory 9mm does actually suck and may not run well in certain guns.

Shenaniguns
08-19-2012, 10:19 AM

RSA = Recoil Spring Assembly