PDA

View Full Version : Air travel with handguns

velocedue
08-17-2012, 4:36 PM
I had decided to take a firearm along on a trip in the future using the airline rules about declaration and locking, etc. but then I had a thought. ( I do occasionally still have them.)
Given the ease that TSA and who knows who else can get inside your checked on luggage, and the fact that things do go missing at times, which would be more likely to be stolen in transit, a Rolex or a compact .45? I would never check on a Rolex but I suspect the handgun is in very real danger of being taken. Since the airlines only assume minimum responsibility for your checked on luggage how safe is your weapon? Have any of you done this and how did it turn out? I have done it in the past, before 9/11 but at least then you could lock your luggage.

Spyder
08-17-2012, 4:43 PM
Tens of thousands of people travel with firearms and no more of them disappear than regular luggage. Follow the rules, declare it, fly.

Eldraque
08-17-2012, 4:45 PM
I wonder about this too. I cant own handguns yet, but when I do I will take one with me wherever I go. for airline travel I am thinking of just buying a used Glock or revolver for a few hundred..I definately wouldnt trust airline security with my favorite EDC or HD handgun.

InGrAM
08-17-2012, 5:27 PM
I have flown with handguns a few times. Nothing bad has happened (yet) and I have never had a bag checker/ticket clerk even want to look at the firearm before. The only advice I can give is take a firearm that you wouldn't mind losing. I would never take a gun worth more than say $350 and never a firearm with any sentimental value.

Things do go missing though, I had an I-pod stolen out of my checked suitcase that was locked by TSA before. They cut the lock right off and stole it. The airlines would only give me $100 for an I-pod that was worth 3 times that. You live and you learn.

Aces and 8s
08-17-2012, 5:35 PM
I've never had a problem the times I have flown with handguns. Be sure to declare it, I usually put mine in a lock box with combo and key. No issues to date.

Elwood_Blues
08-17-2012, 6:52 PM
I remember reading something on an airline website saying that you have to declare the firearm and once it's checked, you lock the container it's in and no one can open it. Once you arrive at your destination, you pick up the checked luggage at from an airline rep. I used to work with a lot of photographers who would travel all over with their gear and sometimes something would go missing (a $3,000 camera for example). So they all started to just include a handgun with their gear which would prompt actions mentioned above.

jj805
08-17-2012, 7:22 PM
Don't take it with you if any of your layovers, or your destination is New York City, or Jersey.

DasBoost
08-17-2012, 7:44 PM
I've flown four times with firearms, twice with handgun, twice with rifle, and never had any hiccups at all. Just declare it in your baggage, fill out the tags, make sure it's locked up. When I flew with my K31, I asked if I could remove the bolt and put it in my other checked bag and they said it was ok. If anything, flying with a firearm ensures your luggage will get there when you do; no airline wants to deal with the s***storm of press if they lost one.

Quiet
08-17-2012, 7:44 PM
mGjddG5Owsc

ucsdryder
08-17-2012, 7:50 PM
Lock it in a hard case that TSA doesn't have a key for. Then bicycle lock it to the frame of our suitcase. The ones with the rollers and the the extended handle work great. Lock that bag with a TSA lock. Easy as pie.

Lock the ammo in the factory ammo box inside the gun case. Leave magazine out and unloaded but locked in gun case. Put a cable lock through the action so a non gun person will know it is unloaded.

Wait by ticket counter for 15 minutes in case the screeners need to get into the case. After that go board your plane. Make sure you are waiting at the conveyer belt so somebody with sticky fingers that overheard you can't grab your bag.

velocedue
08-18-2012, 10:39 AM
That seems to cover it. A clerk at a gun shop was telling me that he uses a separate case, not one that is then in the normal suitcase. That way he has to be called at his destination to pick up his case (firearm). I have always thought that you needed a locked case IN another, checked bag. The lock it to the frame trick is good.

uxo2
08-18-2012, 10:49 AM
Don't take it with you if any of your layovers, or your destination is New York City, or Jersey.

Partially wrong...

Layover is OK..

Its when they offer you your bag to take with you
for the night and then
re-check in...

That is where you will get boned.

I usually leave it still in their custody.

jj805
08-18-2012, 1:43 PM
Partially wrong...

Layover is OK..

Its when they offer you your bag to take with you
for the night and then
re-check in...

That is where you will get boned.

I usually leave it still in their custody.

Not worth the risk in my opinion. If I am flying with a firearm, I avoid NY and Jersey period. I don't care if it adds 4 hours of travel time.

Intimid8tor
08-18-2012, 1:49 PM
Since I have been traveling for work recently, I have been taking a carry piece with me. So far, I have had no problems. I did buy a box with a cable that threads through one of the frame pieces on the inside of the suitaces (where the handle retracts). The case cost me $30 at cabelas and prevents someone from just reaching in and grabbing it. They will have to put a little more work into it.

In 2 weeks it will be interesting as I have 8 flights in 1 week. That means lots of checking it in. But hey, at least I have it with me.

dwtt
08-18-2012, 7:00 PM
Not worth the risk in my opinion. If I am flying with a firearm, I avoid NY and Jersey period. I don't care if it adds 4 hours of travel time.

There is no risk when transiting through NY, NJ or MA or any of those states. Reread what ux02 wrote, the only risk comes when you leave the terminal and take possession of your checked baggage with firearms in them then try to recheck them later. When the checked baggage goes directly from one plane to another and you never get to touch it, there is absolutely no risk. I have flown to the east coast many times from CA and went through Boston, NY, and Newark with no problems, and hope people don't pay attention to the fud about flying through NJ or NY.

CK_32
08-18-2012, 8:34 PM
Get a good case pack it take photos of inner items and declare it.. Then fly.. If its lost or stolen report it and have the photo for evidence

SilverTauron
08-18-2012, 8:57 PM
There is no risk when transiting through NY, NJ or MA or any of those states. Reread what ux02 wrote, the only risk comes when you leave the terminal and take possession of your checked baggage with firearms in them then try to recheck them later. When the checked baggage goes directly from one plane to another and you never get to touch it, there is absolutely no risk. I have flown to the east coast many times from CA and went through Boston, NY, and Newark with no problems, and hope people don't pay attention to the fud about flying through NJ or NY.

His wise caution is not FUD, not by a long shot. Revell vs NJ Port Authority started because a man flying with a legally checked gun became a guest of the Essex county jail through no fault of his own. He wasn't flying to NJ or NY either-his flight suffered mechanical problems and made an emergency landing in NJ, which put Revell in a bind regarding the checked gun in the luggage. After being booked for a follow on flight the next morning by the airline, he took possesson of the weapon and luggage to sleep at the hotel. Upon his arrival at the airport the next day , he got locked up.

Note carefully that while the case decision by the judge stated that Revell should have made arrangements with LE to hand over the weapon, they are under no obligation to assume liability for a gun in such a condition. The airline and police can refuse custody.

If things go to plan all works out. Should a plane get delayed, a flight cancelled, or another unforseen snafu come up requiring an overnight stay, a gun owning traveler is in serious trouble.

jj805
08-18-2012, 9:22 PM

Dude, Relax. I clearly pointed out that is my opinion. If you don't want to listen to it, then don't. Calling out FUD when there is an active lawsuit going on about the statement made, is a little bit of a stretch.

farmerjoe
08-18-2012, 9:23 PM
I fly with pistols all the time, so I purchased a Pelican 1400 with Pick N Pluck foam, and I cut it to hold 3 pistols and 5 magazines. The pistol slots will also hold boxes of ammo. I use my own Master Key locks and wait at the counter for a few extra minutes to make sure TSA doesn't need the keys. I've only had one problem, at Reagan-National. The TSA "supervisor" at the scanner wanted my keys so she could double-check to make sure things were unloaded. She unlocked the case, pulled my USP 45 and began waving it around, all the time reassuring me that she knew what she was doing, as she used to be a Marine (although she didn't have the upper body strength to cycle the slide).

Intimid8tor
08-20-2012, 6:29 PM
Checked my carry piece today. TSA guy asked what I was transporting. I said m&p shield. He then asks me if I am carrying as well. I had to qualify that question as it was a new one. Then told him no. I don't know why he asked me that question unless he thought I was in an occupation that allowed me to carry on board.

In either case. No big deal. 5 minutes and done.

dobek
08-20-2012, 7:54 PM
I've traveled with my guns quite a few times (Southwest is by far the best with checking in gun)

The video post is great - watch it several times

Personally - I pack my guns (including pistols) in the biggest case I can - - It will make it harder for Joe the Thief baggage handler to sneak it back to his locker.

Nothing is perfect - but I haven't had a problem (yet)

Steve

PS - One time I did get a scare - all luggage out and my pistol case not to be seen..... they sent it up to the baggage office so it was claimed by the proper person. No outside tag - yet they knew it needed special handling.

RobinGoodfellow
08-20-2012, 8:02 PM
I have checked a handgun on numerous flights. Rule 1: Don't forget to declare your firearm at the baggage checkin counter! If you forget to say this until after the bag gets whisked away by the conveyor, things can get a little tense. Rule 2: It must be unloaded, and inside a locked, hard sided case. The ticket agent may or may not ask to see the weapon--it varies.

I have never been asked to remove the weapon and demonstrate that it is unloaded, but I have (about 50% of the time) been asked to open the locked case for them to look at it. I don't use a TSA lock.

You will be provided with a card to sign, a copy of which the airline keeps, to go inside the suitcase.

Since I began checking a firearm on flights, I have noticed that about 90% of the time that I check a bag (whether I have a firearm inside or not) my bag gets searched by the TSA (they leave a little note inside when they do that).

NOTE: Once you get home, make sure you remove all the ammunition along with the firearm before your next flight. Once I was going through security at Jacksonville (FL) airport and I forgot I had a loaded magazine (and I don't mean Playboy) in my bag. I got pulled aside and questioned. Actually, the guy was pretty cool about it. I just had to take the magazine--sans ammo--back out to the car and go through security again.

Paper Boy
08-21-2012, 10:08 AM
I had a 1911 stolen at the airport

Landed in OR and got my luggage from the agent had my pistol and rifle in separate cases attached to each other and locked. Got to my buddies place and unlocked them to go ahead and make sure the rifle was still sighted in and when I opened the pistol case there was no gun.
Queue absolute terror and panic. One magazine and the TSA tag saying they had inspected my luggage were in there still. On closer inspection I found the case had been tampered with and one side had cracks and tool marks on it, these were on the bottom lip where it was not seen until it was open so I did not notice it until I actively looked – who ever did it was careful.
Notified Delta, TSA, and Police and filed a claim that night, when I got back to my paperwork at home in CA I sent in everything they needed for a claim and took my serial number and everything to the airport police in CA to make sure there was a complete report and correct serial number on file. 3 months later (me calling every day after work) had a check from delta for my loss.

Delta only wanted an original recept - good thing I am OCD and had it files away...