PDA

View Full Version : FYI for San Diego Shooters

sthornwall
06-16-2007, 6:20 PM
-There will be a new forest supervisor for the Clevland National Forest-

So today I went to Orosco with a friend to do some shooting and as usual we were checked for an Adventure Pass. The Ranger informed us that there will be a new Forest Supervisor starting next month. According to the ranger, this new supervisor is "anti outdoor shooting range" and will be looking for any excuse to shut down any ranges under the administration. Orosco Ridge was just cleaned recently due to the attention it got from the shooting incident a few weeks ago when a father was accidentally killed by his young son. The Ranger also asked that we inform others that if Orosco Ridge gets messy again that there will be a good chance that it will be shut down. My friends and I always bring rakes to clean up our brass so she was happy about that but obviously many others don't. (At first I didn't until I started bringing a shooting mat about a year ago and got tired of kicking brass around to clear a spot to shoot in prone supported). Just passing on the message that for those who go up there to be responsible and clean up after themselves. Once a range is shut down I hear it can nearly be impossible to get it reopened.

I have no idea how much weight this information will have or whether the Ranger was full of it or not but I thought I would pass on the 411.

Corbin Dallas
06-20-2007, 12:26 PM
It doesn't suprise me that someone got hurt/killed at orosco. I don't want any outdoor ranges to be shut down like the old "kitchen creek" or "descanso" ranges, but unless we become more responsible about the enviroment in which we choose to continue our sport, they are all destined to close permenantly.

The last time we went to orosco we heard bullets whizzing over our heads. Come to find out some yahoos on the lower level (you know what I mean if you have been to orosco) were tossing bottles in the air and "plucking" them out with their (insert weapon here). Not too smart, but that's what happens there.

I've seen guys crossing firing lines, automatic weapons, steel core and tracers, not to mention all the "targets" left behind and the amount of brass and shotshells that no one picks up.

Hell, I'll bet a recycling company could make a few thousand from all the brass there.

It's sad, but unfortunately true. Orosco may be a memory shortly.

gunslinger387
06-20-2007, 1:15 PM
How do you get there? The closest open shooting area I know of is Jacumba.

Jicko
06-20-2007, 1:22 PM
IMHO Jacumba is a MUCH better shooting spot than Orosco Ridge.

pullnshoot25
06-21-2007, 6:59 AM
Damn. Well, I will be cleaning up my brass next time.

scubamark13
07-18-2007, 8:10 AM
I went out to Orosco Ridge yesterday and it is closed due to fire danger and increased forest use restriction. So for those of you who are planning on going out you might want to call and see if they are open.

Nefarious
07-18-2007, 8:27 AM
all the times ive been out to Orosco, ive never had anyone check my pass. I was beginning to wonder if they EVER checked for those things.

I have not been out t here since the "cleaning", but man that place sure was nasty. The one thing I like about that place... is that it does take a little effort to get up that way. Jacumba... i dont like the BP cruising back and forth. They are getting a little more bold about walk up and giving your setup an eye over.

Another thing I dont like about Jacumba... is that 2nd or 3rd to last shooting spot. The targets are setup so close that they are sit parallel to whoever is shooting to the left and right of you. I dont know if the people that shoot at that spot are just not paying attention.. but ive left many times becuase of it.