PDA

View Full Version : Holster won't arrive in time for course :(

Moonshine
08-17-2012, 12:54 PM
So much for training with my Sig G-Code just emailed me the holster won't be here in time :(!!! Should I delay the class or just run it with my Glock? Will running it with one of my other guns help me learn so when my holster does arrive I can apply what I learned and practice on my own with the Sig?

fullrearview
08-17-2012, 12:56 PM
G code? School me.

Edit: Read that wrong... I read it as Sig G-code. like a new model. What kind of Sig do you have, and what kind of holster are you looking for?

Moonshine
08-17-2012, 1:00 PM
Sig sp2022 and the holster I ordered was from g-code. I have a fobus holster but with the hammer cocked the trigger is exposed in the holster and that is a VERY BAD thing. Since the new holster won't be ready thinking of using my glock 19 which I have an excellent paddle holster and mag pouches for

fullrearview
08-17-2012, 1:06 PM
Gotcha. Was gonna offer to build you one as I have a p226... No dice as I have no sig pro.

As for having it cocked and locked, you really shouldn't. They are not designed to be carried that way, which is most likely way the trigger is slightly exposed.

elfstone
08-17-2012, 1:09 PM
Yes, its a bit confusing since the context is in another thread. Your not the only one Rearview, I was about to google it 'wow'
And what course exactly are you going to be doing?

Some matches have holsters to borrow. Schools teach gun technique, gun safety, and HD mentality. Those are all person specific and person training- NOT GUN SPECIFIC.

Moonshine
08-17-2012, 1:09 PM
So just deal with the fobus while I wait for the nice holster to arrive? Better than not training with my sig I suppose

Casual_Shooter
08-17-2012, 1:10 PM
I bet there is someone here willing to loan you a holster. I only have holsters for P220's, unfortunately.

fullrearview
08-17-2012, 1:11 PM
So just deal with the fobus while I wait for the nice holster to arrive? Better than not training with my sig I suppose

That would be fine, just always decock before going into the holster.

Moonshine
08-17-2012, 1:15 PM
So even if the trigger was fully covered one would still want to decock before going into a holster with a sig? I'm learning already and I haven't even gone to the course :)

hkdad
08-17-2012, 1:17 PM
So even if the trigger was fully covered one would still want to decock before going into a holster with a sig? I'm learning already and I haven't even gone to the course :)

What kind of pistol course are we talking about here?

Moonshine
08-17-2012, 1:28 PM
LMS Defense Pistol 1

IPSICK
08-17-2012, 1:39 PM
SA/DA guns with no manual safety should always be de-cocked when holstered. If a cocked hammer is your only problem with your current holster, then use the SP2022 holstered as intended. Apologies for being presumptive but you sound kind of new and I think you should definitely learn with the SP2022. The DA first shot followed by SA follow up shots takes a bit of technique for some to master. Better have pros show you how it's done. Everything else that is learned in the class should transfer to the other handguns.

Moonshine
08-17-2012, 1:41 PM
You are correct I am totally new to DA/SA I've only ever had Glocks and decided to try something new. I've only fired the sig on the bench at the range and loved the accuracy and feel so I decided heck why not run a course with it?

IPSICK
08-17-2012, 1:47 PM
You are correct I am totally new to DA/SA I've only ever had Glocks and decided to try something new. I've only fired the sig on the bench at the range and loved the accuracy and feel so I decided heck why not run a course with it?

Well you'll learn fast how effective it is for you away from the bench and like I said, everything else you learn should translate relatively well to the other platforms.

Atekhed
08-17-2012, 1:49 PM
While I don't own a Sig, I have been to a few pistol courses and in all of them the instructors always have required those with decocking mechanisms on their handguns to decock them before returning it to the holster. The only pistols that were allowed to be left cocked (and locked) were 1911-type pistols.

I say take the Sig with the Fobus and run it. It will help you build confidence with it while waiting on the new holster.

On a side note take your Glock and its holster/mag pouches as backup just in case. It never hurts to have a spare at these courses.

Good luck and have fun! I hear LMS runs good classes.

unusedusername
08-17-2012, 1:58 PM
Perhaps you can contact the folks who run the class and ask them if they have a holster they can loan you?

viet4lifeOC
08-17-2012, 2:18 PM
I have a Sig Pro 2022 and I know it fits the Blackhawk Serpa for the XD 9mm 4".

Hope that helps.

Gryff
08-17-2012, 2:51 PM

Yep. Unless the gun has a safety that will allow you run the gun "cocked and locked" (think 1911), then you really shouldn't carry a cocked DA/SA gun in your holster.

jyo
08-17-2012, 3:58 PM
Decock that thing and run with the holster you already have---you sound like you could use a basic safety course before your're off to run and gun. I am only concerned for your safety and for the safety of those around you---good luck!

Lead Waster
08-17-2012, 8:46 PM
Get a universal nylon Uncle Mikes or something for less than $20 at a LGS and use that. Don't miss the class for something like that.

sfhondapilot
08-17-2012, 10:34 PM
Where are you? I have a sig pro holster. I am in San Francisco.

MikeR
08-17-2012, 10:59 PM
If your 2022 has a rail the G-code holster wont work unless you modify it to fit. They don't mention this on their site like they do with other models.

FWIW I will order more holsters from G-Code but ive been disappointed with the company overall.