PDA

View Full Version : Sig SP2022 for pistol course?

Moonshine
08-17-2012, 10:36 AM
I have two handguns, a glock 19 and a sig sp2022 that I use for home defense because the .40 has more stopping power and I like the full frame.

My question is would it be possible to do a pistol course with a sig sp2022? I noticed everyone uses Glocks and 1911s in these courses but I wanted to use my sig and fobus holster because I want to train with what I intend to use to protect my home.

jimster716
08-17-2012, 10:48 AM
You already answered your own question.

GoingQuiet
08-17-2012, 11:22 AM
I'm not a fan of the 2022 for a number of reasons.

1. You know how Kimber is a 1911 for people who can't afford a 1911 or know how to buy a 1911? The 2022 is the Sig for people who can't afford a P22integer series.

2. Parts and qualified people to fix the gun are substantially more limited compared to the P22integer.

jedininja
08-17-2012, 11:32 AM
No one asked whether anybody like the 2202. They asked if.it would be suitable for the class.
And yes a 2202 would be perfect for a class. Dont worryabout what other people us in class. Use what you want to be proficient in.

jimster716
08-17-2012, 11:59 AM

1. You know how Kimber is a 1911 for people who can't afford a 1911 or know how to buy a 1911? The 2022 is the Sig for people who can't afford a P22integer series.

2. Parts and qualified people to fix the gun are substantially more limited compared to the P22integer.

With all due respect, I fail to see any qualified evidence in your post to say that the SP2022 would be unsuitable for a class and HD. I have both the P229 and SP2022. I aim my SP2022, it goes bang, hits where I aim and does so repeatedly with zero hiccups just like my P229. To the OP, take your SP2022 to class and for HD with full confidence.

someR1
08-17-2012, 12:27 PM

wow, do you even OWN a sig ? get out of here you little troll !

someR1
08-17-2012, 12:28 PM
I have two handguns, a glock 19 and a sig sp2022 that I use for home defense because the .40 has more stopping power and I like the full frame.

My question is would it be possible to do a pistol course with a sig sp2022? I noticed everyone uses Glocks and 1911s in these courses but I wanted to use my sig and fobus holster because I want to train with what I intend to use to protect my home.

If you enjoy the 2022, then use it in your training . It's a very accurate and reliable weapon. I would trust using it just like any of my other guns.

elfstone
08-17-2012, 12:49 PM

Course= training class and/or IDPA IPSC courses.
All the same in this context.
YES, why would you think a course can only be done with a glock or 1911s? How else can you get better in the gun you prefer and going to use in the home?
Go for it, it is fun and educational. I used my SP2022 .40 in an IDPA (defense) course and it was perfect since that would be my nightstand gun. My CZ 9mm I use for IPSC courses.

You already answered your own question.
+1

1. Is all you saw online was the price and then made your ASSumtions based on that?
2. So your experience is: your guns don't work, so you need a long list of parts and gunsmiths to fix them, so because there are many parts and gunsmiths for that broken gun therefore that gun must be great?!!
Personally, I prefer guns that don't break. I rate them on performance and reliability, but I guess I must be stupid.

Moonshine
08-17-2012, 1:04 PM
Kind of a non-issue now because I just got an email from g-code and the sig holster won't be arriving in time. And compared to the nice holster I have for my glock the fobus I got is crap... It leaves the trigger exposed when the hammer is cocked and that's wayyyy not good!!!

Kbert760
08-17-2012, 1:13 PM
I just received an IDPA "competition" set from Blade-Tech for my 2022 in a week and in plenty of time for my class on Sept 15. I allowed 7 weeks which their web site mentioned but it only took a week.

Moonshine
08-17-2012, 1:26 PM
So there is hope it could still arrive... I ordered with shirt guard because my uncle mikes for my glock and fobus sometimes catch on my shirt or when I'm wearing a jacket pull my shirt out of my pants on drawing

!@#$
08-17-2012, 1:48 PM
Kind of a non-issue now because I just got an email from g-code and the sig holster won't be arriving in time. And compared to the nice holster I have for my glock the fobus I got is crap... It leaves the trigger exposed when the hammer is cocked and that's wayyyy not good!!!

it's "way not good" to have a DA/SA sig cocked and in a holster.

jdogg2000
08-17-2012, 2:01 PM
There's a reason why a lot of people don't use DA/SA handguns in courses involving firing rapidly from a holster. It takes considerably longer to become proficient at controlled pairs, etc., if your trigger pull is different from the first shot to the second. I personally would use your Glock for the course, although you can become skilled with the Sig if you're willing to put in the practice.

viet4lifeOC
08-17-2012, 2:10 PM
There's a reason why a lot of people don't use DA/SA handguns in courses involving firing rapidly from a holster. It takes considerably longer to become proficient at controlled pairs, etc., if your trigger pull is different from the first shot to the second. I personally would use your Glock for the course, although you can become skilled with the Sig if you're willing to put in the practice.

But isn't that the point of the course..to make one more proficient with the firearm that one is most comfortable with and plan to use in HD situations?

Personally, I prefer the M&Ps and Glocks for various reasons.

viet4lifeOC
08-17-2012, 2:14 PM
OP....

I would recommend to bring both Sig Pro 2022 and your Glock 19 with its associated holster, mag holders, and gear.

Try the gun that you feel more comfortable with and the one you deem most likely to be your HD gun. If it doesn't work out....change accordingly.

good luck. stay safe. have fun...and it will be fun.

Striker
08-17-2012, 2:17 PM
Course= training class and/or IDPA IPSC courses.
All the same in this context.
YES, why would you think a course can only be done with a glock or 1911s? How else can you get better in the gun you prefer and going to use in the home?
Go for it, it is fun and educational. I used my SP2022 .40 in an IDPA (defense) course and it was perfect since that would be my nightstand gun. My CZ 9mm I use for IPSC courses.

+1

1. Is all you saw online was the price and then made your ASSumtions based on that?
2. So your experience is: your guns don't work, so you need a long list of parts and gunsmiths to fix them, so because there are many parts and gunsmiths for that broken gun therefore that gun must be great?!!
Personally, I prefer guns that don't break. I rate them on performance and reliability, but I guess I must be stupid.

Umm, no. Going Quiet is a Sig dealer, so whoever is posting for them isn't just a guy posting something random. I don't necessarily agree, but it's more than a guy who saw the price online and made a decision based on that.

Having said what I said above, I also want to say that while I don't think the SP2022 is on the same level as the Sig P22X series, I also don't think there's anything particularly wrong with it. Now I understand that my experience with the SP2022 is limited, but the fact that Ken Hackathorn said that "it's one damn fine pistol", Todd Green has said it's underrated and Bruce Gray has not only said something similar, but also uses one for EDC; I think I'll stick with their opinions.

OP, pistol should be fine. If it were me, I would get a different holster. Safariland, Galco, RCS, PSS; something. And take the Glock as well because you never know.

Moonshine
08-17-2012, 2:29 PM
I got a holster from g-code with short guard and rotating paddle I can't wait to get it... I may also get the leg adaptor for the holster so I can use it when I run a carbine course too!

scglock
08-17-2012, 5:18 PM

None of your reasons make sense.

cindynles
08-17-2012, 5:42 PM
It makes sense to take you #1 pistol to a training class. Just make sure you have enough mags and ammo for it. The down side is the cost of ammo. Many classes require 700 - 1000 rounds, and the difference in price between 9mm and 40 for that much ammo will cost you an extra $150 to take your Sig.

ramathorn
08-17-2012, 6:02 PM
Train with what you'll use.

jdogg2000
08-17-2012, 7:40 PM
I would argue that you won't know what you will want to use for self defense until you use your pistols in a training situation... You can't tell which one is the best for you by comparing how they feel in your hands. Bring both and compare them during the course!