View Full Version : Sig Sauer Barrel Finish?

08-16-2012, 9:19 PM
I am in the the market for a Sig P229R and have done a little shopping. I have one question about the Sigs that I can't get off my mind. I have noticed that the finish on the barrels of some pistols are different from others. If you look closley you might notice that there is a Chrome sort of finish on a few 229 while others seem like a flat black. Didn't know why this was, and since the pistol is already pricey, I want to know if there is any difference before purchasing. Thanks for your help.

08-16-2012, 9:44 PM
Pre Obama, post Obama?

08-17-2012, 1:35 AM
Some P229s have a blued barrel, some have bare tool steel.

It depends on which of the 90 gazillion variants of the 229 you are looking at.

The difference in finish makes no difference in usage as you need to keep your barrel oiled with and without the finish.

08-17-2012, 2:13 AM
Over the years, there have been slight changes in the finishes. I know that my older P228, which was made in Germany, is far more resistant to that external wear you see on SIG barrels than any of my newer SIGs.

What you need to know about SIG barrels, is that they have what are usually called "smiley's." You will see them primarily along the top of the barrel, and you will even see them on a brand new SIG at your LGS. In the world of SIG pistols, this is normal and accepted.

You should keep that area, and others where there's metal to metal contact and friction, lubricated with a good grease. I use the same TW25-B grease SIG ships with their pistols. Slide Glide and some others are also good products. Use grease on the frame rails too.

08-17-2012, 4:47 AM
Thanks guys for the quick and informative replys. I like the look of the "blued" barrel more, but if it doesn't make a difference then I can go either way.

08-17-2012, 8:45 AM
So they don't melonite/nitride the barrels? You'd think, the barrel is where it's most useful.

08-17-2012, 9:44 AM
Mine is finished, which looks cool, but it starts to wear off pretty quickly honestly. It starts to look like this after ~700 rounds: