PDA

View Full Version : mossberg 500 let me down.

trew10
08-16-2012, 9:50 PM
Just bought a mossberg from big5 took it out for a test drive at first it shot no problems and I started to try to load faster and it jammed and wouldent extract spent shell so to open I had to remove barrel and and pull spent shell trough front but extracter was still holding the spent shell. Through 75 rounds it did it 4 times I'm really bummed out. What should I do go to big5 and complain or contact mossberg directly? I was using federal all purpose 2 3/4" round from Walmart. :(

CC Gunsmithing
08-16-2012, 9:52 PM
rack it like you mean it

trew10
08-16-2012, 9:57 PM
I was I thought I was going to break it. The shotgun was extremely wet meaning oil coming out all holes would that have anything to do with it. And to top it off I had to hear my friend telling me I told you to buy a remimgton

Bigtwin
08-16-2012, 10:06 PM
Not sure what to tell you, they can't all be winners! Even the best manufacturers turn out turds from time to time. That is what waranty is for, this goes for guns, cars, electonics, ect!

I have had no issues with my 500, all my friends that have bought more expensive(and perhaps better, for their needs shotguns) always have kept their 500's because they know them and they always work.
They have all told me you can't go wrong with the 500, it is like a clunky gun that works. Many have bought Benelli's or Remingtons as they have progressed...but none have got rid of their 500, and they all still take the 500 out to shoot!

canative
08-16-2012, 10:14 PM
Did you clean all the oil off before you took it out to the range? I recently bought a Mossy 500 from Big 5. As soon as I got it home I read the instructions and it said to clean off all the oil from it first. I did that and used my Frog lube after and then took it out the range and shot with no problems at all. I also used the same shells from Wally World that you used.

Fellblade
08-16-2012, 10:34 PM
Did you clean all the oil off before you took it out to the range? I recently bought a Mossy 500 from Big 5. As soon as I got it home I read the instructions and it said to clean off all the oil from it first. I did that and used my Frog lube after and then took it out the range and shot with no problems at all. I also used the same shells from Wally World that you used.

Word for word what I did with mine as well. I think I had two instances where it didn't quite eject properly after that. I gave it another full cleaning, since then no issues. I never needed to remove the barrel to get the shell out.
I think part of it was it just needed time for all the parts to get a bit of wear and part of it was all the factory oil.

I was with a friend of mine the first time he took his Moss500 to the range and noticed he had a little trouble with ejecting a shell too, but again didn't need to take it apart.

Scuba Steve33
08-16-2012, 10:35 PM
Take it back, it's under warranty. All of our 500s in the Army never had problems and neither has mine all the years I've had it.

mikajo39
08-16-2012, 10:38 PM
Break it all the way down and give it a thorough cleaning. Youtube is your friend here. You also should oil the action enough to coat it but not so much that its spewing everywhere when you work the action. Try running some full power loads through it to really give it a work out, buck, slugs, lots of target loads. If you're still having issues after a thorough cleaning and test firing make use of that warranty!

frankm
08-16-2012, 11:15 PM
rack it like you mean it

+1, rack it!

trew10
08-17-2012, 3:02 PM
Just got off the phone with mossberg they said for me to ship it to them they are paying for shipping both ways. Guess ill have to wait some more.

sargenv
08-17-2012, 3:20 PM
I've not had to send mine back to them, but they did send me a trigger group assembly after the one I had broke... this was years back.. they made things right.

EvolutionGSR
08-17-2012, 3:21 PM
Mortar it like a jammed AR!

I never clean the action of my pump. I just boresnake it. Never cleaned it when I bought it either.

2barrels
08-17-2012, 7:40 PM
i have had my 500 for may years and many round down the tube and she never failed me

Travis590A1
08-17-2012, 11:58 PM
I had the same issue when my fiance shot my 590a1. After 100 rounds or so she broke in. As someone stated before I almost never lube my action, I just run a bore snake through it and oil the finish to prevent rust. Now 5,000+ rounds down the road with 0 malfunctions she's my go to gun. Remingtons have been lackin in QC as of late. You can't beat a mossy for a pump.

Rampage.Maupin
08-18-2012, 2:31 PM
rack it like you mean it

Listen to this guy!

CK_32
08-18-2012, 2:56 PM
What ammo were you using and break down and clean the gun. And rack it like you have a pair and see if it does it again.. And go for it try to brake it if you break it just doing normal function send it to mosberg and make it their problem.

But again clean it try different ammo I'm assuming your using Winchester uni which has given a lot of people problems including my old 870 a few times (simply racked hard and ejected and my cousins 500 same day same problem using universal bulk)

If it still happens call mosberg and make them take car if it right away.. Don't let them ba you around till your warrantee runs out then say oops sorry like most companies are doing these days.

trew10
08-18-2012, 6:58 PM
What ammo were you using and break down and clean the gun. And rack it like you have a pair and see if it does it again.. And go for it try to brake it if you break it just doing normal function send it to mosberg and make it their problem.

But again clean it try different ammo I'm assuming your using Winchester uni which has given a lot of people problems including my old 870 a few times (simply racked hard and ejected and my cousins 500 same day same problem using universal bulk)

If it still happens call mosberg and make them take car if it right away.. Don't let them ba you around till your warrantee runs out then say oops sorry like most companies are doing these days.

I was using federal all purpose 2 3/4. I will try it again tommorow with new ammo but already contacted mossberg they said to send it in 10 day turn around. The only reason I was worried was because my friend has been around guns all his life and when he seen how it got stuck right away he said it was not normal he took tactical classes in Vegas that Also teach how to un jam hand guns and rifles so I took his word. But I figured what the heck one more try before I send her off.

XD40SC
08-18-2012, 7:15 PM
Were you using a pistol grip or standard stock? My SO had a number of malfunctions with my M500 and we figured that her limp wrist and the pistol grip was the culprit. We switched to the standard stock, she shoved it into her shoulder with authority and it worked as advertised!

orlydose1
08-18-2012, 9:19 PM
ive owned my mossy500 around 10yrs now and it has eaten many different types and brands of ammo. i was superised that after roughly 7,000 flawless rounds through the barrel, the first time i use winchester universal my mossy ran like a POS. i also had a problem with a couple of federal boxes but cant remember the kind of loads. in the end i deduced that it was the ammo, not the firearm that was creating the problems. low brass, no brass, and jagged edges are in my eyes what might be causing your FTEs. try a different brand/load and let us know how that goes

dangerranger
08-19-2012, 9:50 AM
We had this problem with my sons new 500. I used a bit of steel wool wrapped around a cleaning brush to polish the chamber. I used a cordless drill to run it with a good shot of WD40. After that no problems. His barrel had a sprayed on finish, probably got some in the chamber. Now it works smooth as my old guns. DR

CK_32
08-19-2012, 10:17 AM
Try some cheaper fiocchi or estate if your range or shop has them. Usually about $2 more a box (not much IMO) and see how those work. Me and my cousin tried them and that felt pretty good over the federal and Winchester bulk. A lot smoother and easier shot and ejection.