PDA

View Full Version : Your opinions on a Kimber raptorII or a grand raptorII

sffred
08-16-2012, 8:43 PM
Hello fellow calgunners!

Here to pick your brain again!

Recently I had handled a Kimber raptor II stainless and I wow'd myself on how beautiful it is (my buddy is anal with the militec on his 1911's), and he tells me there's one higher model which is a grand raptor II has a blue'd slide and rosewood grips.

Do you calgunners believe Kimber is the new Springfield's? I know SA frames are brazil made now, are kimber's 100% US? Would you recommend the raptor series? Which one and why?

I am not fond of rail'd 1911's and usually like em like the 70-80's series gold cup, but the stainless raptor is beautiful! Really takes on a snake like texturing and I kinda like it!

I'm not trying to knock Springfield, and I know they have a vast field of great firearms, I personally like the MC operator, Pro, etc... But now I'm looking at the raptor!

Thank you for your time,
Sffred

nicoroshi
08-16-2012, 8:46 PM
I'll let you handle my ultra covert when you come over. Then you make the call.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showpost.php?p=9132033&postcount=2195

INFAMOUS762X39
08-16-2012, 9:17 PM
Wow prices on the Raptors went up. Roughly 6 months ago I remember my LGS had them on sale ...if I can recall 1250-1350$+?.

Raptor is a nice shooter, but 1500-1700$+ is a bit stiff. At that price range, I personally would look into Dan Wesson/Les Baer etc.

Do not get me wrong if you desire the Raptor, Buy it more power to you.

I have a Kimber TLE II: love it, price is right, it's reliable, rugged, accurate, great trigger, comfy, does the job.

straykiller
08-16-2012, 11:10 PM
I'll let you handle my ultra covert when you come over. Then you make the call.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showpost.php?p=9132033&postcount=2195

how do you like that? i was looking at those the other day as a possible cary option down the road.

Cyc Wid It
08-16-2012, 11:13 PM
If you're paying over $800 for a stock Kimber, something's wrong. OK that's a bit harsh, but none of their "custom shop" offerings involve any hand fitting so...

WWDHD?
08-17-2012, 12:27 AM
If I'm not mistaken, I think the only difference between the Raptor2 and the Grand Rap is target sights. Could be wrong but I was looking into ordering one of these beauties last week but the deal I thought I had fell apart so I was doing a lot of research on these unique 1911's.
If you can afford one, go for it! Theres nothing else like it in the looks dept. Good luck!

Evo
08-17-2012, 12:48 AM
Les Baer, 30 hours of hand fitting you can really feel :)

KandyRedCoi
08-17-2012, 2:32 AM
i have a raptor 2 .... boringly accurate and reliable over 2K rounds and 4-5yrs old, only thing i did was a re-finish to dura coat matte black ... but thinking of re-bluing it again
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v476/fluxmr2spyder/my%20firearms/IMG_1624-1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v476/fluxmr2spyder/my%20firearms/89b319dd.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v476/fluxmr2spyder/my%20firearms/701b54ff.jpg

fullspeed1
08-17-2012, 6:53 AM
If you're paying over $800 for a stock Kimber, something's wrong. OK that's a bit harsh, but none of their "custom shop" offerings involve any hand fitting so...

Cyc's absolutely correct....Best bang for the buck Kimber's are the Custom II line.

redcliff
08-17-2012, 9:31 AM

Not entirely true, the Super Match II's are pretty nicely fitted pistols with hand-fitted barrels. They come with targets showing a 1" or less group at 25 yards.

skyscraper
08-17-2012, 10:54 AM
I agree with this right here. The "custom shop" roll mark is misleading

alfred1222
08-17-2012, 11:10 AM
Isn't the grand raptor off the list??

Cyc Wid It
08-17-2012, 3:00 PM
Not entirely true, the Super Match II's are pretty nicely fitted pistols with hand-fitted barrels. They come with targets showing a 1" or less group at 25 yards.

Oh right, there's that exception to the rule. Plus there's the issue of Schwartz safeties...

glockman19
08-17-2012, 3:06 PM
I have the Raptor II, Pro Raptor II, and Ultra Raptor II, IMHO the nicest pistols to come out of the Kimber Custom Shop.

I passed on the Grand Raptor II

KandyRedCoi
08-20-2012, 2:52 AM
lots of negative feedbacks from people that dont even own said pistol LoL

i own one, my experience has been pretty good...i hope more people that own the exact gun the OP was asking for could or would actually chime in

wamphyri13
08-20-2012, 3:35 PM
I own the RaptorII. For the sake of ease I will now just refer to it as the Raptor. Original Kimbers had the external extractor. The II series came with internals. No more externals, so lets just refer to them without the the II.
Raptor. Blue or stainless. Fixed night sights.
Grand Raptor. Blue or stainless. Adjustable sights.
My only complaints about the Raptor are these.
1)With all the specialized machine work on the pistol, (front and rear cocking "serrations", slide top treatment, and frontstrap "checkering", it really should have come with a special treatment on the MSH as opposed to standard checkering. Easily remedied, however, by the addition of the Ed Brown chainlink MSH.
2)The MIM parts. NOT because of the use of them in the pistol, but because they don't hold the finish worth a d@mn. Before I ever got mine to the range, the finish was rubbing off the mag release and safety. That's just unacceptable.
The gun itself is very well made, has really nice bluing, and is great to shoot.
Those are my only two complaints.
Ryan

dholla
08-21-2012, 12:54 PM
I love my Raptor!! Shoots awesome. Been looking for a stainless to go with my blue one. But I doubt I will find the same deal I got on my 1st one.

Farrier-1
08-21-2012, 2:20 PM
Go for the Raptor 2. I'd bought one if I could find one 30 days ago. Instead, I bought a Springfield that got shipped back to the factory today for repairs :banghead:

Damiiaaannn
08-21-2012, 2:31 PM
Get a TRP

Cuda440
08-21-2012, 4:07 PM
I also have a Raptor- its a 5" blued Raptor II with an external extractor.

I bought it well used with "more than a couple thousand rounds" through it by the previous owner- who was not even the original owner. I have since ran about 1000 rds through it, mostly cheap reloads from ammobros or IronSights range. I have not had a single FTF or FTE, and I have had only one misfire- but there was a dent in the primer of the dud and it went off the second time when I dropped it back in the chamber.

It's mostly a range queen, but it has easily become my favorite gun when I'm at the range. It's the most accurate gun I shoot with, and it is still far better than my own abilities.

Sure, there's Kimber haters and some lemon kimbers out there, but my personal experience has been great.

Brian1979
08-21-2012, 6:13 PM
Whats there to decide between? One is a Kimber and the other is a Kimber. I vote for save your money and buy a nice 1911.

DArBad
08-21-2012, 6:13 PM
Kimber Raptors are very refined in fit and finish. They ooze with so much appeal, if you have the money, I say........go for it.

skyscraper
08-22-2012, 5:46 AM
Whats there to decide between? One is a Kimber and the other is a Kimber. I vote for save your money and buy a nice 1911.

Lol :D