PDA

View Full Version : hot barrel not good for the gun????

CALI SHOT DOC
08-16-2012, 7:16 PM
asking this on behalf of my uncles friend...

A friend of my uncles was at his local range shooting a marlin 30-30 lever action rifle and was firing a round about every 45s till the tube was empty (about 5 or 6 rounds I believe was loaded at a time). He said a guy came over and asked if he could touch the rifle and he felt the barrel and had a weird look on his face. This guy told my uncles friend that he was going to ruin the barrel if he let it get to hot. That he should be firing about a round/2min.

i have no idea what this guy was thinking besides trying to act like a know it all. I don't see how a barrel will get damaged by heating up? any thoughts?

Leadmaster
08-16-2012, 7:22 PM
lol BS, unless that 30-30 is firing full auto then heat isnt a problem.

Bikertrash
08-16-2012, 7:22 PM
Accuracy may diminish a bit. I guess we need to tell our troops to hold their fire till the barrel cools down.

FUD!

Fjold
08-16-2012, 7:35 PM
Barrel erosion is a factor of the amount of heat and the time it's applied. The hotter the barrel and the longer it's hot the more erosion that occurs.

Colt562
08-16-2012, 7:36 PM
just a guy trying to be a know it all, next time that happens tell him 2 words....mini....gun

Peter.Steele
08-16-2012, 7:44 PM
just a guy trying to be a know it all, next time that happens tell him 2 words....mini....gun

I'm guessing you've never spent much time around miniguns.

The life span of an M61 barrel is measured in seconds, and the quantity is a 2 digit number lower than 60.

SilverTauron
08-16-2012, 8:10 PM
asking this on behalf of my uncles friend...

A friend of my uncles was at his local range shooting a marlin 30-30 lever action rifle and was firing a round about every 45s till the tube was empty (about 5 or 6 rounds I believe was loaded at a time). He said a guy came over and asked if he could touch the rifle and he felt the barrel and had a weird look on his face. This guy told my uncles friend that he was going to ruin the barrel if he let it get to hot. That he should be firing about a round/2min.

i have no idea what this guy was thinking besides trying to act like a know it all. I don't see how a barrel will get damaged by heating up? any thoughts?

It has nothing to do with heat. What you encountered is that rare breed of shooter;the Ballistic Oracle.

With powers beyond scientific explaination, such gifted individuals have the ability to use psychic mental powers to determine the accuracy of weapons with only a casual look or touch of the firearm. When you are corrected by such people about your form or grip from the other end of the firing line, you have encountered a Range Oracle .

Rusty Scabbard
08-16-2012, 8:26 PM
It has nothing to do with heat. What you encountered is that rare breed of shooter;the Ballistic Oracle.

With powers beyond scientific explaination, such gifted individuals have the ability to use psychic mental powers to determine the accuracy of weapons with only a casual look or touch of the firearm. When you are corrected by such people about your form or grip from the other end of the firing line, you have encountered a Range Oracle .

LOL. That's some good smack !

Beetle Bailey
08-16-2012, 8:31 PM
Well, there is a thing called throat erosion, but one shot every 45 seconds for a .30-30 hunting rifle doesn't sound bad at all.

Dead*Reckoned
08-16-2012, 8:57 PM
I want to see an actual study that a gun kept hot barreled is less accurate over a gun allowed to cool between shots. Not saying I don't believe it I just want to see by how much barrel heat a tually effects it. Is it a 5000 round difference in the life of the barrel or 200. (I know wildcat cartridges have a shorter life span but I want a study of the common rounds 5.56 or .308)

Divernhunter
08-16-2012, 9:39 PM
First the mil and men in combat do not care if they ruin a barrel as long as they come out alive. Many a firearm has been "ruined" from shooting it too hot. Also on a sporting firearm you can(and I have) dimished the accuracy of a barrel by continued shooting when it is too hot. If it is too hot to hold in your hand(and not a pansy's hand) then it is time to let it cool or you will take some life out of it. No it will not go from good shooting to shotgun patterns right off but it will hurt accuracy and cause the barrel to be "shot out" over time. I did this with a 257Roberts. It cost me about $400 to brebarrel it with a SS Douglas barrel and it is back to shooting well again. Yes it may reduce the barrel life by 5000 or 10000 or X number of rounds but it does hurt it. If you cannot keep a group under 3-4" then maybe you will not notice it as much. I have a rem 223 right now that has started shooting large groups. It may be the scope or the fact that it has many-many rounds down the barrel and is worn. When shooting PD or squirrels I use to let it get quite hot. I learned that lesson and do not let my new 204Ruger get too hot. I stop shooting and get a different firearm to let it cool.

So you can make all the jokes you want but the guy had a point. In reality that is the main reason for a rifle "break in procedure". It is so the firearm does not get too hot. All the cleaning etc just makes sure it does not get too hot and is cooled down before the next shot(s).. The only other added benifit is that it conserves ammo due to the time doing the cleaning etc.

Colt562
08-16-2012, 9:45 PM

The life span of an M61 barrel is measured in seconds, and the quantity is a 2 digit number lower than 60.

nope sorry dont have one laying in my safe

razr
08-16-2012, 11:02 PM
The throat erosion is accelerated by heat. On a high end bbls the POI will not change. Its an old debate and some believe it and others don't. Better not to chamber a round and let it sit since it will increase the powder temp/pressure and changes your POI, more noticeable at longer ranges.

Army
08-16-2012, 11:02 PM

Don't know what you Navy boys are feeding your Vulcans, but each barrel is good for over 20,000 rounds.

58 shots is less than a one second burst at 6000rpm. You would have to change barrel clusters after each and every gun run.

Peter.Steele
08-17-2012, 5:47 PM
Don't know what you Navy boys are feeding your Vulcans, but each barrel is good for over 20,000 rounds.

58 shots is less than a one second burst at 6000rpm. You would have to change barrel clusters after each and every gun run.

Seconds of continuous fire, not individual rounds.

20,000 rounds in bursts of 100 or so with time off in between for good behavior isn't bad. 58 seconds of continuous fire, on the other hand ...

russ69
08-17-2012, 6:57 PM
As the barrel temperature rises the mechanical properties start diminishing. The hot gasses can erode the throat and mechanical wear can be accelerated, especially if hard bullet materials are used.

orangeusa
08-17-2012, 7:16 PM
This is about a lever action gun. Good gosh. How fast can you rack a new round in the chamber? 2-3 seconds? For like 7-9 shots continuous, until you reload, which takes like 5 seconds a round...

There are a LOT of know it alls at the range. Most are new shooters who have just learned not to shoot themselves in the foot.

What a dumb thing to say.

EchoFourTango
08-17-2012, 7:26 PM
My rifles seam to stay hot after putting them down for a while, it may just be from the sun but it is a pain that my rifles don't cool down as much as I would like.

gbp
08-17-2012, 8:03 PM
heat is a killer for barrels