PDA

View Full Version : Ruger P89 failure to feed

delta9
08-16-2012, 2:54 PM
I've got a Ruger P89 that has been having some failure to feed issues. I'm using my pre-ban 15 round magazines and it will cycle well for the first 10 or so rounds and then I'll occasionally have a failure to feed where it seems the cartridge gets hung up on the ramp to the barrel.

I don't think the magazines are the issue because I replaced the springs last year. I've also given the gun a through cleaning and lubing and the problem persists.

Any ideas?

JTROKS
08-16-2012, 3:08 PM
What nose profile are the rounds, Ball FMJ, hollow points? Has it always had that problem or dit it show up after so many hundred/thousand rounds?

delta9
08-16-2012, 3:21 PM
What nose profile are the rounds, Ball FMJ, hollow points? Has it always had that problem or dit it show up after so many hundred/thousand rounds?

I'm firing Remington UMC FMJ ammo. I'm a bit poor right now and cant afford to experiment with other types of ammo although I guess it could be the problem. I've had the gun since 1990 and this is the first time I've been experiencing this

steve91104
08-16-2012, 3:24 PM
If it happens only for the last rounds that makes me wonder if the strength of the mag spring is a factor. Also, have you tried polishing the ramp?

1000stars
08-16-2012, 3:44 PM
Sometimes its the shooter, really. Let me explain. After about 10 rounds the shooters wrist gets tired and limpy. Then the gun receiver goes back with the slide as it racks therefore not coming to a full cocked position. Put it simply, it is the same as cocking the slide halfway instead of all the way back. To test yourself, fire the gun five rounds at a time and putting the gun down in between remembering to keep a firm grip everytime you shoot the next five and so on until the clip is empty. Try it.

delta9
08-16-2012, 3:54 PM
If it happens only for the last rounds that makes me wonder if the strength of the mag spring is a factor. Also, have you tried polishing the ramp?

The mag springs were all replaced last year. I haven't tried polishing the ramp - what would I use? Steel wool?

Could this be a problem with the return spring?

Mossy Man
08-16-2012, 4:23 PM
are they factory mags, or promags?

i have some legally owned hi-cap ruger mags and some promags for my p89.

The promags don't work, they will hang up after the 10th round while the ruger ones keep going.

delta9
08-16-2012, 4:31 PM
are they factory mags, or promags?

i have some legally owned hi-cap ruger mags and some promags for my p89.

The promags don't work, they will hang up after the 10th round while the ruger ones keep going.

Two of them are the ones that came with the gun. I cant remember the manufacturer of the other two. I'm not sure if this has happened with all four of my magazines. Maybe I'll need to mark them and see.