PDA

View Full Version : Out of area PPT Legality question

dpop24
08-16-2012, 1:45 PM
Found a gun that I must own but it's all the way at the bottom of this long state and I'm at the top.

However, I'm going to be there for vacation in a couple months and the seller has agreed to hold it for me and meet me for the PPT. However, I won't be there for the whole 11 days to pick up!

I was hoping that I could do the PPT in person, then have them ship the gun to my own local FFL in NorCal, then pick it up at the end of the waiting period. I called the FFL that we would use in SoCal, but they say that I need to be there physically to pick it up in person from them.

I tried to call DOJ for guidance, but of course nobody answers the phone.

Looking for any kind of guidance on this situation?

CSACANNONEER
08-16-2012, 1:53 PM
You won't be able to do a PPT if you can't pick it up in person. If it's rostered or exempt, just have the seller ship it to your FFL now and pay the money for a FFL transfer. Otherwise, if you really need to PPT it, you'll have to come back to pick it up. I'm in the same boat. I just found a rare collectible off roster gun that can not be made roster exempt and, I'm going to have to make a 2 hr, drive each way, TWICE. But, I'll have one of probably less than two dozen in the state.

morrcarr67
08-16-2012, 2:16 PM
You won't be able to do a PPT if you can't pick it up in person. If it's rostered or exempt, just have the seller ship it to your FFL now and pay the money for a FFL transfer. Otherwise, if you really need to PPT it, you'll have to come back to pick it up. I'm in the same boat. I just found a rare collectible off roster gun that can not be made roster exempt and, I'm going to have to make a 2 hr, drive each way, TWICE. But, I'll have one of probably less than two dozen in the state.

Sweet. What did you find?

:threadjacked:

CSACANNONEER
08-16-2012, 2:18 PM
Sweet. What did you find?

It's in the classified. I've let a couple slip by in the past but, I've wanted one for the last ten years so, now I'll have one. I'll give you one hint. It'll look good next to a salt shaker.

morrcarr67
08-16-2012, 2:34 PM
It's in the classified. I've let a couple slip by in the past but, I've wanted one for the last ten years so, now I'll have one. I'll give you one hint. It'll look good next to a salt shaker.

:confused:

Pepper Box?

What brand?

1000stars
08-16-2012, 2:46 PM

Nice. Hard find. Congrats.

dpop24
08-16-2012, 2:56 PM
Thanks guys, that's what I thought. I'll have to make a second trip for the pickup - about 5.5 hours each way! The first trip is for vacation anyway, so that's no problem as we'll be flying in.

Oh well, it will be worth it to me since it's a super rare off roster gun that I have to have!

Nice pick up on the Pepper Box! Congrats.

jessegpresley
08-16-2012, 3:11 PM
I was lucky to find my COP .357 less than an hour away. Still haven't shot it after a few years.

A few years ago a guy had a handgun I *really* wanted, but was way down in So Cal. It was on the list but he refused to ship it. I contemplated making 2 plane trips but ultimately shelved the idea.

CSACANNONEER
08-16-2012, 5:05 PM
:confused:

Pepper Box?

What brand?

See below.

I was lucky to find my COP .357

I've been wanting a COP for the last ten years or so. It'll go good with my Sharps Replica .22 short, Mossberg Brownie and .32 cal cap and ball replica.

Thanks guys, that's what I thought. I'll have to make a second trip for the pickup - about 5.5 hours each way! The first trip is for vacation anyway, so that's no problem as we'll be flying in.

Oh well, it will be worth it to me since it's a super rare off roster gun that I have to have!

So, what did you find? Can you do a SSE or SAE and have it sent to your FFL? I know the 11 hour round trip will suck but, at least you only have to do it once. I've got less time on the road but, I've gotta do it on two different days. To top it off, the FFL we are going to use is only open 3 hours a weekend and I work weekdays.

morrcarr67
08-16-2012, 7:24 PM
Very nice Cannoneer!

Flintlock Tom
08-16-2012, 8:39 PM

Why not buy the seller a round-trip plane ticket and ask him to come up and drop it off at your FFL? Then, after the ten day wait you just claim it. Only one person has to make the trip, once.

morrcarr67
08-17-2012, 4:50 AM
Why not buy the seller a round-trip plane ticket and ask him to come up and drop it off at your FFL? Then, after the ten day wait you just claim it. Only one person has to make the trip, once.

I was thinking the same thing.

1000stars
08-17-2012, 4:57 AM
How about you meet seller at his FFL inspect and buy the gun and have the seller give it to his FFL to Send to your FFL. Then when you get home you can DROS it at your FFL?

CSACANNONEER
08-17-2012, 6:07 AM
How about you meet seller at his FFL inspect and buy the gun and have the seller give it to his FFL to Send to your FFL. Then when you get home you can DROS it at your FFL?

The OP stated that the gun was not on the roster. So, he can't do that unless the gun can be made exempt from the roster. While most guns can, some guns can't.

dpop24
08-24-2012, 10:46 AM
I recently received some guidance from a NorCal FFL that there is in fact NO NEED to conduct the PPT face to face for an off roster gun. The seller would simply fill out the seller's portion of the DOJ DROS worksheet and ship the gun directly to this FFL. Once in the FFL's possession, I would DROS the gun there and come back 11 days later. Alternatively, he said that the seller could also ship from a local FFL in his area directly to him.

While this sounds infinitely easier and cheaper than flying down south twice, I have never heard of this as an option for an off-roster handgun (Beretta 8040f Mini Cougar, by the way). Everyone else (including one SoCal and one NorCal FFL that I called about the scenario) stated that it must transfer with both parties face to face and I must arrive in person 11 days later at the originating FFL to take possession.

Has anyone had any luck with PPT of a non-roster handgun by doing this shipping/transfer and NOT meeting the seller face to face?

ke6guj
08-24-2012, 12:30 PM
this is commonly referred to as a split-PPT. Some FFLs have done this in the past and supposedly if CADOJ spots this during an audit, they will tell the FFL not to do that anymore (I don't know if they can back up that opinion with PC/CCR).

geeknow
08-24-2012, 12:47 PM

ha ha. clever.

:D

might be more of those here, than you know. I know a guy with a dozen. Also, a few "little johns" auctions ago, there was an entire collection of them that were "reintroduced to the community".

dpop24
08-25-2012, 12:11 AM
this is commonly referred to as a split-PPT. Some FFLs have done this in the past and supposedly if CADOJ spots this during an audit, they will tell the FFL not to do that anymore (I don't know if they can back up that opinion with PC/CCR).

So this is technically legal, yet not encouraged by CADOJ? If not illegal, why isn't it done as a standard practice - or at least why don't more people know about it? Any resources, websites, etc. that I can use to get more educated and to convince the seller that this is a legal, viable method of transfer?

ke6guj
08-25-2012, 8:46 AM
So this is technically legal, yet not encouraged by CADOJ? If not illegal, why isn't it done as a standard practice - or at least why don't more people know about it? Any resources, websites, etc. that I can use to get more educated and to convince the seller that this is a legal, viable method of transfer?

we don't know if it is technically legal, just that some FFLs thought it was legal.

morrcarr67
08-25-2012, 3:47 PM
There is a post made by Bill

A "split PPT" appear to be runnable as "gun show transaction".

Calgunner/FFL 'mscale5' wrote about this year or two ago, I've appended here:

From http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=44985&highlight=mscale5, (with a bit of reformatting from me):

If you are a CA PRIVATE PARTY and wish to sell your firearm to CA PRIVATE PARTY in another part
of the state you can have your firearm shipped to a FFL in the buyers area. Here is how you do this:

Take your firearm to a FFL.

Have (originating) FFL PRINT a DROS form for Gun Shows; he fills out the "Sellers Information" section
of the form and make a copy of your CA DL or ID card on the back - I also ask for the sellers' thumbprint
- and SWIPE the DL or ID, and print the info on the back of the form like for Gun Show transactions when
a computer isn't available.

With this DROS filled out, the (originating) FFL can ship the firearm to the buyers' (destination) FFL and
the (rest of the) paperwork can be filled out. To do this, the (originating) FFL must ship the firearm as verification it is the firearm that came from that person. Shipping cost should be lower then the cost of driving to do the transfer.

This is how I was told by the DOJ to do this type of transaction.

I later asked if this was still an option and the response was that at this time it should not be done.