PDA

View Full Version : Is Colt still consider an American company?

goldengate
08-16-2012, 12:49 PM
I post this on another thread comment, but I think this topic deserves a thread.

I know some of the Colt's enthusiast might hate me for this, but the question need to be asked. Do you still consider Colt's to be an American company? If the argument is if it is made here by American citizen, then it is an American. I think you can call some Honda and Toyota cars American, too.

I know they are made in the US, but the owner is not an American citizen. Today Colt's Manufacturing Company, LLC are own by Donald Zilka and his family. So, for every Colts that get sold, guess who is pocketing the money. http://rense.com/politics5/colt.htm It appears that Zilka family is trying to buy a few other gun manufacturers, too. I guess Colts are as American as Sig 1911 are.

I am in no way bashing Colts. My dad have a Colt Detective Special revolver and my cousins/friends own plenty of Colts. I am still shopping for a vintage Colt 1911.

RealBarber
08-16-2012, 12:57 PM
:facepalm:

hnoppenberger
08-16-2012, 1:03 PM
Yikes, news to me.

5.0Driver
08-16-2012, 1:38 PM
Made is USA is so tricky these days. Take my car for instance. Ford Mustang GT. Made in America so they say. Engine is Canadian, transmission British. Who knows what other parts are Japanese, German, Chinese, Mexican, etc.

The War Wagon
08-16-2012, 1:41 PM
I'm pretty sure The People's Democratic Republic of Connecticutt USED to be one of the 57 states... http://www.smiley-faces.org/smiley-faces/smiley-face-whistle-2.gif

INFAMOUS762X39
08-16-2012, 2:02 PM
Yikes, news to me.

Same here. Now I am thinking twice about a Colt.

mc21
08-16-2012, 2:08 PM
In my opinion, as long as it provides jobs and improves the American economy, then it is as much of an American company as it needs to be. The company will pay any and all taxes if it was owned by an American citizen. Only difference is where the owner may spend his/her profits.

Twystd1
08-16-2012, 2:29 PM
I thought General Dynamics bought Colt on 2005 or thereabouts.
Crap. I can't remember,,,,,,

NOTE: The article listed above is 13 years old

goldengate
08-16-2012, 2:33 PM
In my opinion, as long as it provides jobs and improves the American economy, then it is as much of an American company as it needs to be. The company will pay and and all taxes if it was owned by an American citizen. Only difference is where the owner may spend his/her profits.

I agree and that is the way it should be. Everyone should be thinking like this. But instead we have people calling out different manufacturers for not being American enough. My purpose for this post is for people to be aware of the history and people behind these company.

Bottom line.
Today's Colt is not same as Samuel Colt's Colt. Just like today's Springfield Armory is not the same George Washington's Springfield Armory.

goldengate
08-16-2012, 2:43 PM
I thought General Dynamics bought Colt on 2005 or thereabouts.
Crap. I can't remember,,,,,,

NOTE: The article listed above is 13 years old

I believe that deal fell through. General Dynamics was trying to acquire Colts Defense Division.

InGrAM
08-16-2012, 3:00 PM
The Walther PPK is made by S&W, does that make it any less German?

cannon
08-16-2012, 3:32 PM
Colts are made in America by Americans who get paid in American money.

That there is the definition of American made.

P Funk
08-16-2012, 3:36 PM
I own a Toyota Truck that is made in America by Americans getting paid $.
Is it considered 'American'?

ScottB
08-16-2012, 3:44 PM
They are made in America by Americans who work for an American corporation. Why is this even a question?

That "article" you posted was from 1999 and sort of tinfoil hat-ish. A lot has happened since then, but here is another, more informative article from the same period describing how Zilkha came to buy Colt and what they had in mind. Zilkha and his team were more clueless than sinister.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/newsweek/2000/04/16/unmaking-a-gunmaker.html

Here is the wikipedia article with a timeline/history to current
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colt's_Manufacturing_Company

fullspeed1
08-16-2012, 3:45 PM

YES!!!:D Btw, I love my Tundra.

duc748bip
08-16-2012, 3:57 PM
Yeah I consider my "Walther" branded S&W American gun.

Cyc Wid It
08-16-2012, 3:57 PM
http://i.imgur.com/aumCO.gif

AJAX22
08-16-2012, 4:07 PM
zilka still owns colt.

Colt manufacturing and colt defense are two seperate companies, colt defense makes the rifles (both civilian and military) and then sells the rifles to colts manufacturing for civilian/law enforecement sale.

Zilka has heavily leveraged colt defense (200MM in bonds) and has been loosing a number of overseas major contracts of late.

The NAME and trademarks (COLT) are owned by municipality of harteford (or possibly the state of Connecticut? i forget) via a holding company(who wound up with those rights after the last round of bankruptcy) and are licensed to the colt company

Colt is a UAW shop, with an aging staff that somehow still manage to turn out a decent handgun (they don't have the skilled staff to make double action revolvers anymore).... and they subcontract out the vast majority of their rifle components to other manufacturers.

Colt isn't really much of a company anymore.... they are a brand that gets slapped on products (a brand licensed from a holding company so the name which is worth something doesn't get seized in bankruptcy)

In as much as Colt is a dying company, burdened with debt and union pension obligations, coasting on a once great name and the people's appetite for nostalgia...... I would say that Colt is Uniquely American

Sunday
08-16-2012, 6:48 PM
I would buy a Colt with out reservation.

gasol1ne
08-18-2012, 6:36 AM
Well the way i figure it, as long as an american is getting paid money somewhere along the line, its good enough for me. Whether it be an American importer, or the American the own the gun shop I buy or transfer the gun from.

Or you can just say its American if more money goes to American hands than anywhere else.

masayako
08-18-2012, 7:41 AM

Of course it's a YES.

dandan3000
09-09-2012, 12:15 AM
Curious that rense.com is an antisemitic conspiracy website. I thought this was calguns, not sturmfrontt.

Garand1911
09-09-2012, 3:35 AM
the article is from 1999, why would zilka buy a company to dismantle it and lose money?
13 years after that article was written, Colt is still around and doing ok.

My brother just met with a Colt factory armorer, and he said that Colt forges many and makes every part on their Ar15/M4 line of guns, even the charging handle. And a few other things i dont remember.
DONT FLAME ME -- this is what i was told, havent been able to prove it.

ZX-10R
09-09-2012, 9:16 PM
Would buy a Colt over a handgun made in Brazil.

mysak
09-09-2012, 9:43 PM
Donald Zilkha is American he has duel citizenship though and Colt is an America company considering all of it's revenue stays state side. The same can't be said for Honda or Toyota.

This is what I've heard/read so don't trample me with indifferences please.

pyromensch
09-09-2012, 9:56 PM
I post this on another thread comment, but I think this topic deserves a thread.

I know some of the Colt's enthusiast might hate me for this, but the question need to be asked. Do you still consider Colt's to be an American company? If the argument is if it is made here by American citizen, then it is an American. I think you can call some Honda and Toyota cars American, too.

I know they are made in the US, but the owner is not an American citizen. Today Colt's Manufacturing Company, LLC are own by Donald Zilka and his family. So, for every Colts that get sold, guess who is pocketing the money. http://rense.com/politics5/colt.htm It appears that Zilka family is trying to buy a few other gun manufacturers, too. I guess Colts are as American as Sig 1911 are.

I am in no way bashing Colts. My dad have a Colt Detective Special revolver and my cousins/friends own plenty of Colts. I am still shopping for a vintage Colt 1911.

yeah i heard this, but at least they are firearms, and americans, are making, and buying them. it could be worse

skyscraper
09-09-2012, 9:57 PM
Dont upset the colt fans.

pyromensch
09-09-2012, 10:00 PM
the article is from 1999, why would zilka buy a company to dismantle it and lose money?
13 years after that article was written, Colt is still around and doing ok.

My brother just met with a Colt factory armorer, and he said that Colt forges many and makes every part on their Ar15/M4 line of guns, even the charging handle. And a few other things i dont remember.
DONT FLAME ME -- this is what i was told, havent been able to prove it.
i don't remember if it was zilka, but colt, started going everywhere, with their manufacturing, knives, apparel, etc...and oh yeah, guns. quality was lacking, and they folded down, the handgun manufacturing, and the other stuff, and i think, divided the company.

skyscraper
09-09-2012, 10:02 PM
Would buy a Colt over a handgun made in Brazil.

Did your whole world just crumble when you read this thread? ;)

zx-10's are still made in america right? lolol

Massan
09-10-2012, 6:31 AM
Wait till Colt starts importing parts made elsewhere or being assembled in Brazil...

Quiet
09-10-2012, 6:57 AM
Wait till Colt starts importing parts made elsewhere or being assembled in Brazil...
They will not be from Brazil. They will be from the Philippines.

ryker411
09-20-2012, 7:50 PM
Good ol American Budwieser is owned by the Belgian Company InBev....