PDA

View Full Version : Handgun Security Yard Sign

mikestesting
08-16-2012, 11:18 AM
What are your thoughts on this sign? I'd like to put one in my yard. I honestly do think it would deter criminals. But at the same time, I challenge my own thinking with the idea that it may tempt someone to break in to steal the gun that the sign claims is in the home.

Would you put this sign up? Right next to my ADT sign?

The site to purchase is here:

https://patriotpostshop.com/products/767

https://patriotpostshop.com/images/products/483/large_e0876895-9571-49c3-a30a-309b8bdf57d4.jpg

CasperSYTFU
08-16-2012, 11:23 AM
I like the thought of the element of surprise, personally.

SoCal Bob
08-16-2012, 11:24 AM
Personally I prefer to not advertise to strangers that I have firearms in my house.

Fishslayer
08-16-2012, 11:26 AM
No way. I'd file that one with a CCW badge.

CasperSYTFU
08-16-2012, 11:26 AM
Exactly. Put up some ADT signs, and keep you HD guns private.

em9sredbeam
08-16-2012, 11:27 AM
Remember you aren't always home, so you are advertising there are guns in the house. I would rather an intruder find out I have guns when I squeeze the trigger.

hermosabeach
08-16-2012, 11:31 AM
In LA several police have had break ins and guns taken.

One gang member confessed that they knew is was a police officers home.

They were marking personal vehicles parked at police stations and following cops home

They would them rob the home when vacant as most cops have guns.

If you want to post signs, try posting fun signs in public stores

Place a robbery free zone under the vons- no gun sign

Post a murder free zone under a different - no gun sign

With some heavy stock paper and a good lazer printer, many of the signs might stay up for days or months as most in the local store ignore or are not aware of what silly rules come down from corporate

CK_32
08-16-2012, 11:32 AM

Agree..

I don't know why people want to take out that element. All your telling them is come back tomorrow with your gun and be prepared. You have to remember they want something in your house had enough to risks their freedom and life anyways so all your telling them is step up your game before you come in. They don't see that as a oh hey I'll be smarter than that. Criminals and thugs all take it as oh yea well I'll show you and want to show they are bigger than you. It's just a challange more than anything.

I'd say get a EDT or Brinks home security sign or something in that nature which will be more a deturant than a gun sign.

robcoe
08-16-2012, 11:37 AM
What are your thoughts on this sign? I'd like to put one in my yard. I honestly do think it would deter criminals. But at the same time, I challenge my own thinking with the idea that it may tempt someone to break in to steal the gun that the sign claims is in the home.

https://patriotpostshop.com/images/products/483/large_e0876895-9571-49c3-a30a-309b8bdf57d4.jpg

I prefer not to advertise that there are small, expensive, easy to sell items in my apartment, but that's just me.

littlejake
08-16-2012, 11:49 AM
Put up some fake cameras instead -- it will do more to deter people than an advertisement that there are items of interest inside.

Whatisthis?
08-16-2012, 12:39 PM
Keep up the ADT signs and call it good. That'll be the biggest deterant right there. That and a good sized dog

shipwreck
08-16-2012, 2:25 PM
Personally I prefer to not advertise to strangers that I have firearms in my house.

ditto

Squidward
08-16-2012, 2:36 PM
I wouldn't.

njineermike
08-16-2012, 2:39 PM
Yep. I want the BG finding out I have a firearm right about the time his torso is well ventilated.

Bill Carson
08-16-2012, 2:40 PM

This

Akers
08-16-2012, 2:40 PM
I like them to think they are coming into a safe place, then I plan on showing them my various tools of destruction.

Nick Justice
08-16-2012, 2:44 PM
Just fly the U.S. Flag all the time. Seems to work as well as anything else.

bigbearbear
08-16-2012, 2:45 PM
My brother in law, a paranoid sort, has a sign that says "There are no valuables in my house" outside.

I think this sign is just as stupid. :D

Put up a sign from monitored alarm security, it is plenty of deterrent.

Blackhawk556
08-16-2012, 2:46 PM
Sign = ccw badge = stupid

tal3nt
08-16-2012, 3:33 PM
Career criminals are smarter than that

Arson
08-16-2012, 3:40 PM
Putting up a sign like that claims that you might be eggar to fire upon an individual who enters your property. Like putting up a beware of dog sign claiming that you might have a violent dog in your yard.

Both can backfire upon you in a court of law.

SMOKEYMOUNTAIN
08-16-2012, 3:44 PM
I definitely wouldn't put that sign in front of my house. It will just attract unwanted attention. You want to blend in as much as you can. Generic ADT sign will do fine.

You want your firearms unknown to the world at large to prevent theft and to keep your element of surprise. Any BG that would still enter your house after reading that sign would be put on notice to bring bigger guns and a bullet proof vest.

Coded-Dude
08-16-2012, 4:01 PM
put it in your neighbors yard for about 6 months or so and see if it works..... :shrug:

coyotebait
08-16-2012, 4:08 PM
put it in your neighbors yard for about 6 months or so and see if it works..... :shrug:

^^^now that's funny.
Beware of Dog sign would be better. As stated, no need to advertise, you're not always home, and wouldn't it suck to come home and get shot with your own gun.

scglock
08-16-2012, 4:25 PM
Terrible idea to have a sign like that. Pretty much says "hey there are guns here come get them when I'm not home"

Oceanbob
08-16-2012, 4:35 PM

This^^^^especially teenagers in 4 group gangs who watch you and the family leave for dinner.

Keep it on the down low. Add proper lighting (motion detectors) real time video cameras, alarm system, gun safe that is in USE and bolted to the floor, a noisy dog, secure windows, double locked strong kick proof front and rear doors and a low profile.

Mossy Man
08-16-2012, 5:24 PM

this

it just makes your home a more tempting target for a home invasion, imo.

trust me the good burglars will know when you aren't home.

Lifeon2whls
08-16-2012, 5:34 PM
The car I use to go to the range is parked outside and I even try to sneak the guns into the car...I make sure no one is outside, watching the house, etc.

For all of the reasons you dont want the bad guys knowing you have guns, you also do not want your neighbors to know as well.

ExtremeX
08-16-2012, 5:39 PM

This... and this

shoupdawg
08-16-2012, 5:42 PM

Si.

dangerranger
08-16-2012, 8:27 PM
If you want to post signs, try posting fun signs in public stores

Place a robbery free zone under the vons- no gun sign

Post a murder free zone under a different - no gun sign

With some heavy stock paper and a good lazer printer, many of the signs might stay up for days or months as most in the local store ignore or are not aware of what silly rules come down from corporate

Maybe its where I live but Ive yet to see a no guns sign at any business. Fresno, Clovis, Hanford, Coarsegold, or Oakhurst. DR

Ill have to look closer for them at Vons next time.

Speedpower
08-16-2012, 8:51 PM

:facepalm:

Bigtwin
08-16-2012, 9:20 PM
What about this one?

http://www.cctvforum.com/images/imported/2012/01/178985_2.jpg

I find these types of signs amusing and a novelty. Like all others have said never would I advertise to the public.

When I brought my safe home it was late at night and I had a couple friends help unload and locate it quickly, out of most prying eyes. When I go to the range I pull my vehicle up into the garage to keep it from being seen while loading it up.
The less others know the less likely they will be intrusive around the house.

TATER313
08-16-2012, 9:45 PM
I agree don't Advertise. Get a big dog.

CC Gunsmithing
08-16-2012, 9:51 PM
I have security company signs, and beware of dog signs.. No camera signs or beware of "knowledgeable firearm owner/ enthusiast" signs...

dls
08-16-2012, 9:59 PM
Big dog, alarm, and security cameras out front, should make a typical thief look at the house across the street that has none of those things.

Thumbs down on that particular sign.

m98
08-17-2012, 2:11 AM
Those signs only invite thugs. The most valueable things to thugs and gangs are Guns, Money and Drugs. Those scumbags dont work and their business is theft/robberies. I do not give the nieghbors a hint that i own guns.

Just the other day, a teenage black kid comes knockin on my door and when i answered, he asked me a Stoopid question: Does a kid named matthew live here? I answered no. I closed the door went to put my flipflops on and walked outside to see where the teen went. It was less than 30sec from the time i closed the door to the time i got out to the driveway. I knew it was strange thats why i went after to check it out. Looks like someone was in a car parked on the street away from the view of my front door. I can bet dollar for dollar that somebody is going around my hood' scope n out homes. Now i gotta take xtra precautions. Not just this. There is a suspicious black guy walking the neighborhood early in the am thats been seen to be carrying large bags of aluminum cans. Two weeks ago, i went to pick up my brother early in the am to go on a fishin trip. When i got their my brother told me as he opened the back gate he saw the same guy with a latter next to a neighbors fence accross the street and was snooping just about to climb over. The black guy saw my brother and he bolted off with the latter down the street. So my brother ask me if i saw the guy on my way to pick him up but i didnt see em. Two days later, someone stoled my dads hi pressure hi volume water hose from my parents front yard.

Rockit
08-17-2012, 2:44 AM
Terrible idea to have a sign like that. Pretty much says "hey there are guns here come get them when I'm not home"
this.

Rorge Retson
08-17-2012, 7:59 AM
A friend of mine and his dad used to clean their guns on the front porch, with their Doberman at their feet. That actually seemed to be a pretty good deterrent...theirs was the only house that never got broken into.

hkdad
08-17-2012, 9:07 AM
Marine Snipers with 50cal on top of my roof 24/7!
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j19/bnitsche/4CF136C8-7984-4F7B-9BFE-DFA70F257D11-1182-000001425B35B2AC.jpg

t0kie
08-17-2012, 9:27 AM
As others have said, element of surprise is better...

boamedt
08-17-2012, 9:31 AM
I dont trust adt as i know the kind of people they hire to installations. Like my neighbor at my parents house who tried to shoot me and my family and friends one thanksgiving.......he is still an installer at adt

Colt-45
08-17-2012, 9:32 AM

Exacly. I also dont tell people upon first meeting them hi im a gun owner. Advertising openly that you have guns will ultimately bring attention from the wrong crowd(thieves).

NewbieDave
08-17-2012, 9:33 AM
I like this sign....

http://reynosawatch.org/minstrel/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/dog1.jpg

23 Blast
08-17-2012, 9:56 AM
Yes - the lower profile you can keep your gun-owning status, the better. Signs like these are almost as bad as the "we're peaceful - please don't rob or hurt us!" signs.

Rorge Retson
08-17-2012, 10:22 AM
Most of my friends don't even know I have firearms.... ;)