PDA

View Full Version : Out of state storage question

Jimbo60
08-16-2012, 10:17 AM
I hope that this is the right forum for this question anyway...

Here’s the deal.

In the course of normal business operations I am in southern Nevada at least twice (more often 3-4) times per month. Sometimes I have the extra time to do some shooting.

Mostly in the desert.

What is the legality of storing some firearms there.

I was specifically thinking of a secure storage facility.

This is not a “what about the security aspects” etc… inquiry. I understand the possible consequences from that angle and, have, what I think is a reasonably good system worked out. In any case that aspect is completely my responsibility. I am strictly looking at the legality.

For instance…. I know that I can keep a firearm in a hotel room (speaking legally here, not hotel policy) or campground etc. I also know that if I were to rent an apartment that I could legally keep them there. In those cases there would be a presumption of attendance. In other words I (or somebody reasonably associated with me) we be in frequent attendance at the property/facility.

However, if I were to rent a small storage facility for the purpose, would there be any legal ramifications to storing them there? Again strictly from a legal standpoint since when I was out of town they would be substantially unattended (or does the facility staff count?) or does this even matter?

Not trying to hide anything or store anything illegal. Just looking at some options. Also I wouldn’t be storing any handguns either but, I would be string a couple of long guns and probably some rebuild kits.

Jim

Citadelgrad87
08-16-2012, 10:21 AM
What exactly are you asking? Do you mean is it OK with Nevada if you do this, or OK with California if you do this?

Jimbo60
08-16-2012, 10:23 AM
What exactly are you asking? Do you mean is it OK with Nevada if you do this, or OK with California if you do this?

I guess kind of both.

Jim

hermosabeach
08-16-2012, 10:36 AM
Educate on the local laws. Clark county has a hand gun registration requirement. As a visitor who stays less than a certain number of days, you are exempt. If you stay longer or if the hand guns stay longer, then you need to register them.

Jimbo60
08-16-2012, 11:06 AM
Educate on the local laws. Clark county has a hand gun registration requirement. As a visitor who stays less than a certain number of days, you are exempt. If you stay longer or if the hand guns stay longer, then you need to register them.

Yeah I used to live there and know about the blue card system. That's specifically why I'm not going to be storing any handguns there. Although I have to say that if you are going to have a handgun registration the blue card system is about as painless as it gets.

I've spent some "quality" time with the Nevada Revised Statutes and haven't really been able to come up with anything concrete.

Jim

hermosabeach
08-16-2012, 11:23 AM
I had an acquaintance move to Pahrump

It is not in Clark county and he said that if you thought Vegas Real Estate took a hit, look into Pahrump

I do not know your budget but he said you can find homes for way less than construction cost. He has not been retire long enought to see if he will regret retiring there but they have hills to hike or ride on quads and plenty of BLM to shoot upon and the glorious Front Sight to use if you want classes for almost free with there lifetime memberships

Vegas and Death valley are within an hours drive

http://m.trulia.com/NV/Pahrump/#

Jimbo60
08-16-2012, 11:56 AM
Pahrump has always been on my radar but, I have a 3-5 year plan that involves Reno (wife's honetown). Then I won't have to deal with this silliness any more.

In the mean time, I'm really considering the Las Vegas storage plan just simply because I'm there so much.

I do shoot in Nevada quite a bit. Just looking to modify the current method of operations. :D

Jim

russ69
08-16-2012, 1:27 PM
No problem storing legal Nevada firearms in Nevada. I have a place in Arizona, there is no problem having ARs in Arizona. So if I wanted I can take my BB off my ARs while I'm over there, as an example. Purchasing firearms is a whole different question but in most cases if the firearm is legal in the state you are in at the time, there is no problem.

boomer135
08-16-2012, 2:52 PM
Jimbo I have also been looking at storage options in NV, mainly Reno. But for NFA Items I own that are not legal in CA. In vegas there is a 24 hour safe vault. Google 24/7 private vault.

Haven't checked out the options in Reno yet. I plan to do so soon!