View Full Version : Ear Protection Recommendation

Bull Elk
08-16-2012, 7:53 AM
I'm in my mid 50's. Until I was in my 40's I shot without ear protection. Now I'm starting to loose my hearing (recently tested). I use standard ear protection that costs under $20. Can someone recommend good quality ear protection? I want to keep shooting, but I am concerned that I'm "undergunned" with the currect hearing protection set up.

08-16-2012, 9:26 AM
I'd recommend some earmuff style ear pro with the active-noise reduction. For added protection you could also double up with the foam earplugs underneath as well.

08-16-2012, 10:45 AM
check out msa sordin suprme pro x. yes they are expensive, and yes, they are a really good way to protect your ears.

08-16-2012, 5:39 PM
Do you shoot handguns only or do you do long guns as well? If your around a "Turners" they have a great price on these Pro Ears-Pro 300 that kind of have slim cups but has great protection for their size(NRR 26db) compared to some other slim electronic muffs around 19db. They're $150 before tax. I'd probably still keep your plugs to double up if shooting indoors. If you just shoot pistol, there's a good choice of big muffs that are 30-33db rated.

08-16-2012, 7:09 PM
MSA Sordin's if money is no object, Howard Leight's if you're on a budget.

I wear Surefire's underneath both (with the plugs out).

I prefer the electronics of the MSA's, but the larger cups of the Leight's (big ears).

08-16-2012, 9:11 PM
I really like the Caldwell Low Profile Electronic Muffs usually on sale at Turner's for $25.

Some people haven't had good luck with them, but the 2 we have have had no major issues.

one side takes a quarter second to come back on slower than the other side (after a shot/loud noise), which is somewhat annoying, but otherwise that set works fine

the other set is working the same as it did out of the box

I've hear the MSAs are the best, but you're supposed to get the gel earcups for max comfort and the NRR isn't all that hot with them

I run EarPros under as well, as just because people aren't shooting on my range doesn't mean they're not at the one next to us. Still get hearing damage.

08-17-2012, 6:12 AM
I use the EAR digital plugs and double up w/ muffs while on the range with a rifle or pistol. I am 48 and have a pretty good loss with some tinnitus as I spent to many years being a tough guy and not wearing protection.

Go to a store that has a selection of muffs and try them on they all fit different and some may effect your weld when you shoulder a long gun.

08-17-2012, 9:36 AM
I like foam plugs with active noise reduction muffs on top. You can still hear everything, but the total protection is good and if somehow something gets bumped and you don't have a good seal there's a backup. I use the ProEars. I have a big clunky set for indoors and a lighter set for outdoors. When I have a guest they get the big clunky set. The quieter the better for newbies.

08-17-2012, 9:49 AM
I liked my caldwell low profile electronic earmuffs, until they broke in my range bag(the part on one of the muffs where it slides on the wire for the headband snapped). The howard leight low profile muffs are comfortable, but they don't respond as quick as the caldwells(they shut off slower, but turn back on quicker) and get in the way when shooting rifles(I end up doubling up with earplugs when shooting indoors, and just don't bother with them anymore shooting rifles outdoors).

08-17-2012, 10:41 AM
I double up with plugs and the howard leight impact sport. They're low profile and very comfortable plus I like the fact that I can still hear conversations very clearly.

08-17-2012, 10:50 AM
I would pay the money to get a set of custom molded ear plugs. You can go to your local audiologist or hearing aid doctor/clinic and they can make them for you.

Get them made for the highest decibel reduction. The thing about the custom molded ear plugs that is important and IMO makes them worth the additional cost, is that they fit comfortably (because they are a copy of your specific ear canal) and they are nearly impossible to break the seal on. So you have little chance that they are not doing the job they are supposed to be doing like can happen with an improperly inserted foam plug or one that has been bumped and dislodged slightly.

After that, I would buy the highest rated earmuffs you can get as well (at least 30+ db reduction).

I would double up, wearing both at indoor ranges at all times. At outdoor ranges, I would wear the plugs at all times and wear the muffs anytime I was anywhere near the firing line.

Just my 2 cents.