PDA

View Full Version : Gun Purchase - Cancelling?

impossibru
08-16-2012, 7:37 AM
Morning everyone,

Went to go buy a rifle from Turner's Outdoors yesterday. I searched high and low and they had the lowest price for the AR I was looking for.

Of course, immediately when I return I check again online, lo and behold, online vendor is selling it for $250 cheaper (it's the same exact neutered AR, the reason I got the Google search to show up was because of searching by the model number I added the words "fixed magazine).

:mad:

I know they charge a cancellation fee, but has anyone ever cancelled a buy from them before? The fee is supposed to be atleast store credit, which I can live with. Do they refund their $30 DROS fee?

Thanks everybody for your time and for replying.

Elwood_Blues
08-16-2012, 7:48 AM
When I asked Turner's what happens if someone doesn't clear background check or decides to cancel, I think they said they charge 30% fee of the price of the weapon and you don't get the DROS fee back. That was little over a year ago.

SoCal Bob
08-16-2012, 8:10 AM
Turner's has a forum in the vendor's section, your best bet is to send them a PM and see if they can do anything. http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=238

Also consider that you would need a local FFL to receive the rifle from the online seller and the local FFL can charge whatever they want to receive it.

Kodemonkey
08-16-2012, 8:21 AM
30% restocking fee if I remember. Keep in mind, buying on line still has more fees associated with it. You have to pay for an FFL to receive it. That fee can range from $60-$125 (at least what I have seen). Plus FFLs really don't like doing it because it's not money they are making off their own inventory (a FEW do it as a way to get people in their store - but most FFLs are downright dicks about it).

Plus, the AR you found online... was it CA legal? I know you said "fixed magazine" but $250 less seems like quite a deep discount. I'd make absolutely sure it has a bullet button on it.

impossibru
08-16-2012, 8:50 AM
The rifle is the same rifle as the one I was looking to buy, the vendor did not use the model number but the description fits (ie fixed mag, bullet button, etc etc). I've found an FFL who will do the transfer for a reasonable fee (Pacific Coast Firearms $50 DROS incl); the math it works out I'm still saving $200 after taxes and fees.

It's a military/police supply store, (I'm USAF hence I qualify) hence the cheapness. Live and learn, I guess, just wish my first buy was a bit smoother but no sense in whining about it now.

Thanks everyone for reading and replying. I'll let everyone know how it goes if ya'll are interested.

jedininja
08-16-2012, 9:27 AM
Will the math still work out after you factor in cancellation fee and dros that you can not get back?

fremont lapua
08-16-2012, 9:51 AM
After reading all this I would suggest to just stick with the Turners purchase, the difference when you factor everything in and the time it will take will not be worth it IMO.

Colt562
08-16-2012, 10:04 AM
It's a mistake you won't make again. I've done it multiple times, poor me

TacFan
08-16-2012, 11:02 AM
you can try asking for price match ?

impossibru
08-16-2012, 11:15 AM
Wooooooo doggy has Turners got me over a barrel. I would have been happy with store credit (edit I need to get a gun case/safe, optics, ammo, etc etc), but it only applies towards firearms. I'd have to redo the DROS, that's another $30. Manager said pricematching is not within Turners Corporate policy.

I can:

a) Keep the gun
b) Attempt to dispute through CC
c) Buy another gun (incur DROS) and tax

I spent an entire month of searching through various dealers. Most other online stores were within 10% of the price of the gun at Turners, obviously not worth it which is why I went and got it yesterday. Of course with my luck I had to find a retailer that was a substantially much better deal the moment I execute the purchase. :D

Going to mull this over today...

jedininja
08-16-2012, 11:31 AM
Disputing the CC charge would be completely dishonest. You made the purchase. Turners has not done amything misleading. You would get the product you wanted.

You made the purchase so you should pick a or c.

daking
08-16-2012, 11:39 AM
Every time i have bought a gun at Turners they have put the cancellation fee in writing and I have had to initial my acknowledgement. That would be hard to dispute. Your mistake was looking for a better price after putting down your money.

impossibru
08-16-2012, 11:40 AM
Disputing the CC charge would be completely dishonest. You made the purchase. Turners has not done amything misleading. You would get the product you wanted.

You made the purchase so you should pick a or c.
I'll rephrase:

b) HONESTLY explain the situation to my CC and see what they can or cannot do.

colhazard
08-16-2012, 11:52 AM
I'll rephrase:

b) HONESTLY explain the situation to my CC and see what they can or cannot do.

CC companies like Amex has Return Protection Policy, but I dont know if firearms purchase qualify. That'll be interesting.

impossibru
08-16-2012, 12:19 PM
Ok b) is outta the picture, firearms not covered. I'm leaning towards a) now unless anyone knows of a good deal on a shotgun or a 22 AR at Turners (which is about the price of the stocking fee). I can probably atleast sell the other rifle and perhaps make up the difference at a later date.

roushstage2
08-16-2012, 12:25 PM
If you honestly explain the situation, I don't see why they would do anything. You are trying to get out of accepting a loss because you changed your mind. Why is that Turner's fault? You have the option of A or C, IMO.

Chaos47
08-16-2012, 12:27 PM
Restock Fee is stated on your paperwork

If you are doing an online order you may burn thru that $250 fast.
Have to find an FFL that will do the transfer
Most charge $50-150 fee to do online orders PLUS $25 for the DROS
May have to pay for shipping $20-35
FFL will collect sales tax on it.

I say just get the rifle from Turners.. Not worth the hassle unless its something you can not get from a shop, or its a killer deal, or you have an FFL that has reasonable fee's

impossibru
08-16-2012, 12:28 PM
If you honestly explain the situation, I don't see why they would do anything. You are trying to get out of accepting a loss because you changed your mind. Why is that Turner's fault? You have the option of A or C, IMO.

See my previous post, b) doesn't apply as firearms are not covered by CC. I am leaning towards a).

Again, lesson learned, never shopping at Turners again after this, cheaper alternatives for LEO/Military even with tax and FFL (which, by the way, $125 at Turners? Why?)

impossibru
08-16-2012, 12:31 PM
Restock Fee is stated on your paperwork

If you are doing an online order you may burn thru that $250 fast.
Have to find an FFL that will do the transfer
Most charge $50-150 fee to do online orders PLUS $25 for the DROS
May have to pay for shipping $20-35
FFL will collect sales tax on it.

I say just get the rifle from Turners.. Not worth the hassle unless its something you can not get from a shop, or its a killer deal, or you have an FFL that has reasonable fee'sWith the FFL I selected (Pacific Coast Firearms) and tax (shipping was free) I'm still saving roughly ~$200.

It's worth it to me. That's sights, a bit of a good optic, grips, cases, or any other accessory.

Turners is the best for retail but as I unfortunately learned last night NOT the best option for Military/LEO. Expensive lesson learned, I will live with this now.

ke6guj
08-16-2012, 12:37 PM
Again, lesson learned, never shopping at Turners again after this, cheaper alternatives for LEO/Military even with tax and FFL (which, by the way, $125 at Turners? Why?)
it shouldn't be. For Firearms that Turners sells, they normally charge $25 DROS + $5 dealer fee.

$125 sounds like the fee if you made the purchase elsewhere and then just had them do the transfer.

impossibru
08-16-2012, 12:44 PM
it shouldn't be. For Firearms that Turners sells, they normally charge $25 DROS + $5 dealer fee.

$125 sounds like the fee if you made the purchase elsewhere and then just had them do the transfer.Yeah, that's what I meant, FFL transfers from out of state. It's definitely the most expensive I've researched.

ke6guj
08-16-2012, 12:48 PM
Yeah, that's what I meant, FFL transfers from out of state. It's definitely the most expensive I've researched.

as they have mentioned on the forums many times in the past, their business model is not geared to facilitating sales by other vendors and then just having the transfer processed through Turners. They would rather sell you a firearm from their inventory. As such, FFL transfer fees are priced accordingly.

impossibru
08-16-2012, 12:54 PM
as they have mentioned on the forums many times in the past, their business model is not geared to facilitating sales by other vendors and then just having the transfer processed through Turners. They would rather sell you a firearm from their inventory. As such, FFL transfer fees are priced accordingly.
Hmmm, do they atleast give some discount or credit if the customer buys something else from Turner's at pickup (i.e. an Optic or Ammo or Case/Safe) etc etc? That would make the most sense. Otherwise I would be curious as to why anyone would do an FFL transfer with them if there are cheaper alternatives in the area.

Chaos47
08-16-2012, 1:04 PM
Don't forget to remove the 30 bucks from the DROS you are loosing and the probably 50+ bucks in Restocking fees from your 200...

impossibru
08-16-2012, 1:23 PM
Don't forget to remove the 30 bucks from the DROS you are loosing and the probably 50+ bucks in Restocking fees from your 200...
Yeah, but 5% military discount lessons it a bit.

Going to go with a shotgun, Mossberg 500A (price is right, doesn't seem to be cheaper anywhere else and is actually cheaper than where I'm getting my AR from), it's about as much as the restocking fee. I'm happy with this decision, I don't mind owning a shotgun and AR.

edit Thanks all for reading and replying.

Flintlock Tom
08-16-2012, 2:33 PM
I was shopping for a Ruger G100 a couple years ago. I bid on one on Gunbroker then saw another auction that had more accessories, so I bid on that one too. I ended up winning both auctions. I paid for and accepted delivery on both guns, picked out the best of the two, and sold the other on the auction site. I think I came close to breaking even.

ke6guj
08-16-2012, 2:58 PM
Hmmm, do they atleast give some discount or credit if the customer buys something else from Turner's at pickup (i.e. an Optic or Ammo or Case/Safe) etc etc?you'd have to ask them. If the numbers worked, they might. And they have mentioned that they have discounted/waived fees for non-sale transfers like a free gun won in a NRA drawing or a family transfer.

That would make the most sense. Otherwise I would be curious as to why anyone would do an FFL transfer with them if there are cheaper alternatives in the area.the point is that they don't want you to do FFL transfers with them. By pricing them at $125, you'll go to the guys who like to do cheap transfers.

impossibru
08-16-2012, 4:08 PM
Alrighty, just did the transfer. All I'm out in this whole debacle is the $30 for the original DROS, which isn't too bad. No give on the military discount, oh well. Just noticed they charge tax on DROS fees, is this normal? So I still save $220 instead of $250 in the long run.

I might come there again if there's a good deal on pistols or shotguns, but I would recommend LEO/Military folks to seek a better deal somewhere else for long guns.

Thanks all for reading and replying.

BRANCHER
08-16-2012, 5:39 PM
Keep it. Seriously it is always cheaper online, however it also doesn't sound like you were ripped off either. Think of it this way... If everything was online where would you touch it. Support the locals unless they are out of line on (and discuss politely with them). If real bad don't bother going back.

Heck I still shop at Canyon Sports at times... Zack can on some items make a good deal (still waiting on a great deal though). He knows I know prices and will go elsewhere. and he also knows a bird in the hand thing too... City Arms got me on one last week...kept handing me when I was like just looking... Ie look closer... Grrr.... (a happyish grr that is).

impossibru
08-16-2012, 9:06 PM
Keep it. Seriously it is always cheaper online, however it also doesn't sound like you were ripped off either. Think of it this way... If everything was online where would you touch it. Support the locals unless they are out of line on (and discuss politely with them). If real bad don't bother going back.

Heck I still shop at Canyon Sports at times... Zack can on some items make a good deal (still waiting on a great deal though). He knows I know prices and will go elsewhere. and he also knows a bird in the hand thing too... City Arms got me on one last week...kept handing me when I was like just looking... Ie look closer... Grrr.... (a happyish grr that is).
Thanks for replying. Personally, I would support a business that's willing to deal or flex - I just didn't see a whole lot of it with my first time buy. I would have liked store credit instead of firearms credit, but caveat emptor. I would have cancelled the other purchase if they would have met me half way, no budge. This is why I haven't set foot in a Best Buy in seven years.

Yes, I get it, Turner's is running a business and there's overhead, salaries, inventory, the whole nine yards for B&M retail. But this time I feel I just traded one ripoff for a lesser ripoff, a nice Google search on Turners 54124 has previous ads (http://www.slickguns.com/product/turners-outdoorsman-firearm-specials-may-20th-may-26th-california-only) where the shotgun I got in lieu of the AR (the Mossberg 500A) was $339 three months ago wherein it suddenly jumps to $359 in their fall catalog so they can have a "sale" price on it. I would have been happy with the military discount, but no go there either since it was "on sale". If they're going to go with automobile dealer-like pricing but not deal like an autodealer, the consumer in me just doesn't want to buy there.

I'm almost certain it would be on sale again in the future, I just want my experience with Turner to be done with. Fortunately, since I'm only over paying by $10-$20 as opposed to $250, it's an amount I can live with. They'll get along just as fine without me as I will without them.

fokaimissionvalleyguam
08-21-2012, 9:39 AM
Damn bro, your thread is pretty upsetting and quite frankly, irritating the hell out of me.

It’s your god damn fault. Do not blame your mistakes on a company when you have trouble reading a simple contract that states the cancellation fee in clear (I’m assuming you know how to speak english) english.

Just because you messed up does not give you the right to whine like a little punk on Cal Guns just because you want Turners to tear up the contract you sign.

Its people like you that try to unnecessarily blame Turners for your own mistakes.

Learn to read first before you sign.

iBkickinit
08-21-2012, 2:43 PM
Damn bro, your thread is pretty upsetting and quite frankly, irritating the hell out of me.

Itís your god damn fault. Do not blame your mistakes on a company when you have trouble reading a simple contract that states the cancellation fee in clear (Iím assuming you know how to speak english) english.

Just because you messed up does not give you the right to whine like a little punk on Cal Guns just because you want Turners to tear up the contract you sign.

Its people like you that try to unnecessarily blame Turners for your own mistakes.

+1

I understand where the OP is coming from, it is kind of frustrating to find a better deal after, but why cry so much about it. To even think that disputing with the credit card company was an option is disgusting. Prices change. I can't believe all the posting and crying and heartache over your own mistake. How do people like that get by day to day?

Helixfury
08-21-2012, 2:54 PM
You can't change somebody's ways of dealing with other people. Always to his advantage in more ways than one, he can't really be fair. Really a bad customer.

impossibru
08-21-2012, 5:48 PM

Itís your god damn fault. Do not blame your mistakes on a company when you have trouble reading a simple contract that states the cancellation fee in clear (Iím assuming you know how to speak english) english.

Learn to read first before you sign.Oh, you're right. I took my licks on this one. Pretty intimate with Turner's policies now, which is why I will be more hesitant with dealing with Turner's in the future.

Also, I'm glad this inspired you to create an account on Calguns. Hafa Adai and thanks for posting!

impossibru
08-21-2012, 5:53 PM
+1

I understand where the OP is coming from, it is kind of frustrating to find a better deal after, but why cry so much about it. To even think that disputing with the credit card company was an option is disgusting. Prices change. I can't believe all the posting and crying and heartache over your own mistake. How do people like that get by day to day?It was almost $200, but you're right I've learned my lesson from this episode. Also, I misspoke, I wanted to see what my CC could do b/c they had a price guarantee, but firearms weren't covered.

Thanks for posting.

impossibru
08-21-2012, 5:55 PM
You can't change somebody's ways of dealing with other people. Always to his advantage in more ways than one, he can't really be fair. Really a bad customer.Sorry, couldn't rollover on almost $200 in savings - just couldn't do it. If that makes me a terrible human being in your eyes, so be it.

Thanks for your reply.

paul0660
08-21-2012, 6:02 PM
Terrible isn't the word.

Impatient is, I think. As much as you said you researched this, you didn't do it well.

I wanted to see what my CC could do b/c they had a price guarantee, but firearms weren't covered.

I will believe that when I see it. PM the relevant contract text to me, if it matters to you.

five.five-six
08-21-2012, 6:05 PM
Once I buy something, I cease to look or prices on it. No point. Enjoy your AR.

blazeaglory
08-21-2012, 6:35 PM

LMAO!! Must be the sales person or manager from the Turners...lol

Kinda true though. Dont go shopping somewhere else for the same gun after youve locked yourself into a deal at Turners. You did it to yourself OP. Sad but true.

huntercf
08-21-2012, 8:33 PM

Hit the nail on the head!
I have bought numerous guns from Turner's over the years and have always been treated fairly. I did my shopping around and found they have the best prices usually. I get their weekly ads through email and if I find something I want then I try and wait for it to go on sale, try being the key word.
Every time I have purchased a gun it was made clear that there would be a restocking fee for cancelling, if I found it for a better price somewhere else I wouldn't blame Turner's I would blame myself for not doing a better job of shopping. You have to admit it is kind of nice for them to let you apply the money to another gun and only charge you the DROS fee (really the state is charging you).

bsg
08-22-2012, 12:30 AM

yup; otherwise... it can become a "woulda, coulda, shoulda."

CK_32
08-22-2012, 7:21 AM
Just keep it and buy the other.. No reason to lose good money because your probably going to be facing a nice restocking fee and maybe some other fees so they don't take a hit for you.

Just keep it and sell it and try to make your money back for the gun. Don't be a cheap bastard and try to make the fee cash back too just cut your losses give someone a good rifle and go buy the one your want.. Still be cheaper than a canceled order of 20 to 40% and get nothing.