PDA

View Full Version : Whenever you hear the words "Assault Weapons"...

artoaster
08-16-2012, 7:26 AM
...do all of us a big favor and remind those involved in speaking or listening that assault weapons refer only to fully automatic firearms and not semi-automatics.

The usage of this term is out of control.

If I started calling all my paper currency "evil money" today I'd get an odd reaction just as if I called a bolt action Marlin 22LR with a five round magazine an assault rifle in 1975. But, unfortunately that's where it's headed.

glockman19
08-16-2012, 7:29 AM
Whenever you hear the words "Assault Weapons"...

I cringe...:facepalm:

jrock
08-16-2012, 7:45 AM
curious, what does AR stand for?
american rirfle? im new to ar's.
but dont worry, according to orielly,
these are heavy weapons.

Sanman023
08-16-2012, 7:48 AM
these are heavy weapons.

ar = armalite

pdq_wizzard
08-16-2012, 7:48 AM
these are heavy weapons.

ArmaLite

Sanman023
08-16-2012, 7:54 AM
two dudes around sacramento with a rifle next to a pool post at the same time with the same answer...funny

SilverTauron
08-16-2012, 8:30 AM
Your goal is noble. However , such an outcome is so unrealistic we may as well declare war on ignorance. We may be enlightened enough to correct those around us, but the politicians and press will continue to call our weapons "assault rifles" regardless of the facts behind the misuse of the phrase. And those people have more airtime than we'll ever get.

My take on it, I do not care if acquaintances call my rifle a blimp as long as they understand my rights to own and use it.

Elwood_Blues
08-16-2012, 9:13 AM
If anyone in a conversation with me misuses term 'assault weapon', I'll just simply start referring to just about everything as 'assault' i.e. assault knife, assault 2x4, and so on.

pdq_wizzard
08-16-2012, 9:26 AM
two dudes around sacramento with a rifle next to a pool post at the same time with the same answer...funny

no kidding :D

CBruce
08-16-2012, 10:08 AM
...do all of us a big favor and remind those involved in speaking or listening that assault weapons refer only to fully automatic firearms and not semi-automatics.

If I started calling all my paper currency "evil money" today I'd get an odd reaction just as if I called a bolt action Marlin 22LR with a five round magazine an assault rifle in 1975. But, unfortunately that's where it's headed.

Assault rifles refer to select-fire/automatic rifles. The M-16 is an assault rifle.

"Assault Weapons" is whatever the lawmakers decide they are, including semi-automatic rifles with certain features. The AR-15 is an "assault weapon" while the Mini-14, another semi-automatic, magazine-fed, .223 calibre rifle, is not.

Elwood_Blues
08-16-2012, 10:14 AM
Assault rifles refer to select-fire/automatic rifles. The M-16 is an assault rifle.

"Assault Weapons" is whatever the lawmakers decide they are, including semi-automatic rifles with certain features. The AR-15 is an "assault weapon" while the Mini-14, another semi-automatic, magazine-fed, .223 calibre rifle, is not.

Until you change the stock on it and it looks scary

russ69
08-16-2012, 10:25 AM

Yeah, we have to get it into our heads that Assault Weapons are the guns defined by our inept legislators, which include Olympic target pistols and other firearms never used in an assault.

Josh3239
08-16-2012, 10:28 AM
Assault Weapon is nazi propaganda. It is no surprise it was adopted by the US considering several anti-gun bills were quite obviously lifted straight from nazi gun bans. That said, responses depend on the audience.

Beelzy
08-16-2012, 10:33 AM
Meh, nothing to worry about in my parts.....They're still getting the hang of "smoke poles", and "gat".

Massan
Assault Weapon = Knives, bats, crowbars, hammers, fists, etc. Basically anything used for assaults, may include guns.

CBruce
Yeah, we have to get it into our heads that Assault Weapons are the guns defined by our inept legislators, which include Olympic target pistols and other firearms never used in an assault.

That's what I find most ludicrious about this distinction. You can take the same rifle, same semi-automatic funciton, same magazine-fed capability of accepting high-capacity magazines, firing the same type of bullet, same range, same capacity for damage...and the moment you put a pistol grip on it, it because unsafe.

Pistol grip on, dangerous! :eek:
Pistol grip off, okay. :)

Is your stock adjustable? That's dangerous! Do you have a flash suppresor? Dangerous! Oh, it's a muzzle brake that effectively does the same thing and more? Then that's fine.

You have a device that makes firing a rifle less damaging to your hearing? Screw that ****, you can't have that you murderous psycho! :mad:

I think we all know this is an effort to establish precedent that semi-automatic/magazine-fed weapons should be banned. Start with inventing a scary type of firearm, call it an "assault weapon" because "assault" must mean "for killing people", get those banned...and then lo and behold turns out these things aren't any different than all semi-automatic firearms. If "assault weapons" are more dangerous and needed to be banned, then logically we must ban all semi-automatic firearms. It only makes sense.

After all, it's only a costmetic feature that distinguishes them.

Zartan
08-16-2012, 10:43 AM
Blow their minds with a wood furniture semi-auto, tell them it's an Assault Rifle

RekEnhanced
08-16-2012, 11:06 AM
This thread is great. I got assault soap bars and tactical towels.

@CBruce - they already want to ban all semi auto's but they until they can they will take what they can get. Hence SB249.

canative
08-16-2012, 11:38 AM
Whenever I hear someone spout out about people are allowed to buy "Assault Rifles", I tell them no, they are not "Assault Rifles" but CA compliant "Sporting Rifles".

Sanman023
08-16-2012, 11:57 AM
assault paper towel holder

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8295/7796954552_677c57bc0c_z.jpg

SilverTauron
08-16-2012, 1:22 PM
assault paper towel holder

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8295/7796954552_677c57bc0c_z.jpg

Where's your ATF tax stamp Mister? That barrel don't look like its 16" to me.

Nice work on that folding M4 stock though.;)

llamatrnr
08-16-2012, 1:28 PM
Where can I get some assault 'n pepper spray?

Chaos47
08-16-2012, 1:34 PM

This has been discussed many many times and unfortunatly you are technically wrong.

You are referring to Assault Rifles: a selective fire rifle that uses an intermediate cartridge and a detachable magazine.

Assault Weapons here in CA is defined in 12276. and 12276.1 which very clearly states that they are semiautomatic.
http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/dwcl/12275.php

I get what you are saying the terms are over used but there is a difference between Assault rifles and weapons...

the86d
08-16-2012, 1:39 PM
This has been discussed many many times and unfortunatly you are technically wrong.

You are referring to Assault Rifles: a selective fire rifle that uses an intermediate cartridge and a detachable magazine.

Assault Weapons here in CA is defined in 12276. and 12276.1 which very clearly states that they are semiautomatic.
http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/dwcl/12275.php

I get what you are saying the terms are over used but there is a difference between Assault rifles and weapons...
Does this mean that a M249(SAW) is not an assault weapon because it is not selective fire, but strictly a machine gun? :)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"assault weapon", or "assault rifle" whether the phrase includes "military style" or not, when used with a negative connotation, is a term used only by the firearm-ignorant...

They also like to use the term "semi-automatic", and clearly don't know what that means... because they want to ban those.

Chaos47
08-16-2012, 2:20 PM
Does this mean that a M249(SAW) is not an assault weapon because it is not selective fire, but strictly a machine gun? :)
It's a Light Machine Gun. CA AWB does not deal with NFA items
"assault weapon", or "assault rifle" whether the phrase includes "military style" or not, when used with a negative connotation, is a term used only by the firearm-ignorant...
Agreed, but doesn't change the fact that OP had his facts mixed up
They also like to use the term "semi-automatic", and clearly don't know what that means... because they want to ban those.
Agreed.

Responses in Red

morfeeis
08-16-2012, 2:39 PM
Anytime i hear the 'AW' word, i know i'm listening to someone that is clueless about firearms...

anothergunnut
08-16-2012, 8:14 PM
I have a number of gun publications from the 80's that use the expression "assault weapons". No matter how you want to spin it, the fact remains that it was a term that gun enthusiasts applied to military style semi-autos. It is not a term made up by gun banners.

CBruce
08-16-2012, 9:07 PM
I have a number of gun publications from the 80's that use the expression "assault weapons". No matter how you want to spin it, the fact remains that it was a term that gun enthusiasts applied to military style semi-autos. It is not a term made up by gun banners.

http://civilliberty.about.com/od/guncontrol/a/Assault-Weapons.htm

Id be really interseted in any source that dates the use of the term before the CA or Federal "assault weapons" ban.

safewaysecurity
08-16-2012, 9:11 PM
The term came from the violence policy center. That should tell you how moronic it is and why no one should ever use it.

mag360
08-16-2012, 9:29 PM
AR = armalite rifle. I have an LAR not sure what it stands for haha.

morfeeis
08-17-2012, 2:37 AM
AR = armalite rifle. I have an LAR not sure what it stands for haha.
Just Armalite, not Armalite rifle. if i had to guess i'd say LAR stands for "Lovely Armalite".

The Gleam
08-17-2012, 3:31 AM
http://civilliberty.about.com/od/guncontrol/a/Assault-Weapons.htm

Id be really interested in any source that dates the use of the term before the CA or Federal "assault weapons" ban.

CA Roberti-Roos Assault Weapons Control Act of 1989 use the term first I can find, politically but if they were pushing the term at least a year earlier to get the bill in motion, that would make it around 1988.

Earliest book I have declaring the term "Assault Weapon" is from 1989:

The Gun Digest Book of Assault Weapons, Jack Lewis, 1st Edition, 1989

1000stars
08-17-2012, 3:39 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assault_weapon

anothergunnut
08-17-2012, 6:20 AM
CA Roberti-Roos Assault Weapons Control Act of 1989 use the term first I can find, politically but if they were pushing the term at least a year earlier to get the bill in motion, that would make it around 1988.

Earliest book I have declaring the term "Assault Weapon" is from 1989:

The Gun Digest Book of Assault Weapons, Jack Lewis, 1st Edition, 1989

This is the book I am referring to. The copyright date is 1986, not 1989.

jmpgnr24k
08-17-2012, 7:59 AM
You all have to figure it out all ready. Assault weapon/rifle means, scary looking, used by gangbangers, , terrorists , and people who rob banks...but mostly scary looking. Sheesh. And Sanman023's toilet paper holder is F'n awesome

Army
08-17-2012, 8:15 AM
Assault is an action, not an item. No military manual calls the M16 an "assault" rifle, it's just a rifle.

m98
08-17-2012, 8:57 AM
Anytime i hear the 'AW' word, i know i'm listening to someone that is clueless about firearms...

Was just arguing a few weeks ago with a buddy of mines who knows jack squat about firearms let alone aw's but keep insisting that the purpose of aw's is to kill people. I got fed up and just straight up said, why the F---- did u decide on buying a handgun for hd? Why not just dial 911 and wait for it?................my buddy could not give me a straight answer. And changed topic.

Sanman023
08-17-2012, 8:59 AM
a"salt" shaker:

http://mystilettos.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/salt_shaker.jpg?w=300&h=225

JBaus
08-17-2012, 11:59 AM
I have Hippie friends and they were ranting and preaching about "Assault Weapons" after the Colorado shooting. I definitely had to put them in place and educated them further.

The Gleam
08-18-2012, 10:33 AM
This is the book I am referring to. The copyright date is 1986, not 1989.

CORRECT YOU ARE! I thought I had the first edition; I just checked the cover more closely and title page on mine, and says 2nd edition on it.

stilly
08-18-2012, 11:25 AM
Whenever you hear the words "Assault Weapons"...

I cringe...:facepalm:

I cringe and then follow up with a snarled lip and mad dog expression and then ask what their definition of assault weapon is since everyone who knows NOTHING about guns seems to classify every black/wood rifle as an assault weapon these days. And then I politely remind them that those folks that think they know everything are annoying to those of us that do...

What if we just did a 180 for a while and called EVERYTHING an assault weapon JUST to piss people off?

Start making Youtube videos about the Taurus 9 shot assault rifle with a 6" barrel and pistol grip that they have disguised as a revolver and call it a Tracker 992 but it can switch between 22lr and 22mag in case one caliber gets banned...

Oh ****, I could be on to something here. I am poised to start filming in about two weeks too...

EVERYTHING is gonna be an assault weapon now. Let's embrace our ignorance yes?

Sorry, I got mixed up and I forgot what part was serious and what part was a joke.

stilly
08-18-2012, 11:32 AM
Assault is an action, not an item. No military manual calls the M16 an "assault" rifle, it's just a rifle.

Sorry but assault can also be an adjective.

Yes it is also a verb, but some words can be used as both.

bombadillo
08-18-2012, 11:50 AM
I think of a rifle that shoots salt.

that one guy
08-18-2012, 11:55 AM
My cousin in Oregon refers to magazines as "assault clips,assault magazines, high capacity clips, high capacity assault clips,

colors
09-08-2012, 1:00 PM
Hi, i just have a question i have an ar15 and it is registard in calif. if i wanted to change it with a .22 conversion kit would it be a problem with the law? also if i had hi cap .22 mags also? Ron.... I guess no one knows it is a complex question to a complex law....

CDFingers
09-09-2012, 7:15 AM
I agree with the OP that we should make that correction in conversations when we hear it.

CDFingers

Chaos47
09-09-2012, 12:40 PM
I think of a rifle that shoots salt.

http://images.gizmag.com/inline/bug-a-salt-2.jpg
http://bugasalt.com/

dieselpower
09-09-2012, 2:11 PM

best answer.

dieselpower
09-09-2012, 2:13 PM
Hi, i just have a question i have an ar15 and it is registard in calif. if i wanted to change it with a .22 conversion kit would it be a problem with the law? also if i had hi cap .22 mags also? Ron.... I guess no one knows it is a complex question to a complex law....

No. You gain a bit of freedom since the .22lr is a rimfire and most laws are directed at centerfire.

I swap from centerfire to rimfire all day at the range.

...and I don't know who "Ron" is but I doubt he has a question on firearms too hard for us to answer...

SDM44
09-09-2012, 7:46 PM
no worse than hearing the word 'assault weapons' and 'clips' in the sentence.

bobomb
09-09-2012, 7:58 PM
now adays i just figure it is a self loading firearm the way the press uses it it has lost all true meaning anyway