PDA

View Full Version : Springfield Armory TRP Full Rail or No Rail?

Tuspejo
08-15-2012, 9:49 PM
I am having a hard time choosing between the two.
Originally purchased the TRP with 1/2 rail and guns shop calls 4 days later saying it is not on the ROSTER so he cannot sell it to me....
He has the TRP no rail, and also getting a TRP full rail tomorrow and i can chose between the two. No rail ill be refunded money or if i choose the full rail there will be no additional charge.....

I really like the 1/2 rail look, and the full rail looks like a Desert Eagle to me which im not to fond off, but for the price and availability of the Full rail its hard to pass up.

What do you guys think i should do?

trigger hippie
08-15-2012, 10:04 PM
Full rail will have (slightly) less muzzle flip. It may limit your holstering options - depending on if you carry for duty or competition this can be more or less of an option. Either are fine handguns.

Synergy
08-15-2012, 10:10 PM
I have always wanted a full rail TRP. It is my "Elanor" I just picked up a non rail TRP. I am torn. True 1911s don't need a rail. :p

Synergy
08-15-2012, 10:11 PM
Full rail will have (slightly) less muzzle flip. It may limit your holstering options - depending on if you carry for duty or competition this can be more or less of an option. Either are fine handguns.

If a 5" steel 1911 is too much and you can't control the recoil, you might need to look into 9mm ;)

redcliff
08-15-2012, 10:14 PM
The full rails are much harder to get. I'd get that one and trade it off down the road if it doesn't grow on you.

However if you're planning on using it for competition be sure to check that it's legal due to it's weight. If it's going to be for CCW I would go with the non-railed due to the weight. For range use/HD the rail is nice.

Plague
08-16-2012, 12:33 AM
I myself wanted the 1/2 rail and then was told I couldn't have it. The gun shop called me a few weeks later and told me that they had the full rail in. So I went down to take a look and ended up getting the full rail. I suggest that you go and take a look and handle the the full rail before it is gone. I was told that they are hard to get, rarely in stock, and Springfield only makes a few baches a year. Good luck in your decision.

safewaysecurity
08-16-2012, 12:41 AM
Remember that the nonrail does not have the match bull barrel.

safewaysecurity
08-16-2012, 12:42 AM
Btw I bought the half rail. Apparently it's not on the list but I guess the dealer didn't know that hehe

robert101
08-16-2012, 10:17 AM
Full rails are for my LR308 (with a quad rail). I know there are a multitude of attachments for handgun rails, I've just never been a fan of them. I'm not sweeping my house with a SWAT team. The SWAT team will probably use that carbine length AR and not a handgun by the way.

1911whore
08-16-2012, 10:28 AM
I had a full rail trp, sold it was alright pistol. , I have learned that I am not a fan of bull barrel 1911 time now only a few of them and I really prefer a classic bushing to the bull barrel. I also did not like before oil because it just seemed to be there in the just kind of in the way I have no real purpose... the difference in rico real between a rail dan on a rail gun are negligible if even really miserable by your feel. I think the full rail gun was a little more sluggish in its operation and ability to move from target to target in transition do to a slight change in the balance of the weapon. that's just my 2 cents.. if you want to ever compete in idpa you're out with a bull barrel 1911 of any flavor just food for thought

21SF
08-16-2012, 10:36 AM
Half rail FTW !!!!

1000stars
08-16-2012, 10:40 AM
Go take a look at both then decide. I would probably get the full rail because I don't have one.

2euro
08-16-2012, 10:40 AM
while the full rail looks nice, you'll see that firing that thing tires you. It's heavy. I'd say light rail (half).

1911Operator
08-16-2012, 10:46 AM
^ light rail is all you need. I love the look of full rail but theres really no use for it other than just looks.

keenkeen
08-16-2012, 11:26 AM
Full Rail

1911whore
08-16-2012, 12:05 PM
I did not indicate in my post before...full rail is cool but my vote is for the nob rail trp

wamphyri13
08-16-2012, 12:08 PM
Inigo Montoya said what I was going to say. (He usually does)
So do what he says. ;)
Ryan

sprig
08-16-2012, 12:35 PM
Full rail fan. When your out of rounds you can make use of it as a great club.

sn8kedoc
08-16-2012, 12:53 PM
For what its worth Full Rail. It took me 4 months to find mine. I've added the new 10-8 rear sights and grip screws, surefire x300 and some 10 round chips that i had to dremel the rubber pads to make em fit (new chip 10s fit fine). I LOVE that gun, her name is Mathilda(like the Professional). But she is really heavy with the surefire and a full 10 it is a noticeable weight especially in my safariland 6004. That being said you will not be disappointed with it as it is a lovely weapon.

FLAWLS1
08-16-2012, 2:36 PM
I say no rail. This is just my opinion, but I think 1911's with a full rail are extremely hideous and the bull barrel is just the cherry on top.

Oldnoob
08-16-2012, 2:41 PM
I like both. And definitely no on the half rail.

I wish SA can get rid of that "TACTICAL" label on the frame.

jessegpresley
08-16-2012, 3:33 PM
while the full rail looks nice, you'll see that firing that thing tires you. It's heavy. I'd say light rail (half).

My full rail TRP weighs 5 ounces more than my non rail 1911. So the difference between a half rail and a full rail would probably be what, 2 or 3 ounces? How many rounds did you fire before an extra 2 or 3 ounces tires you? A full rail TRP weighs about as much as a half rail with a laser/light combo attached. I don't hear people complaining about that set up tiring them.

cwin
08-16-2012, 3:35 PM
The half rail used to be on the list, I bought one in 2007. Since the full rail is harder to find and more desirable, I'd go with that one between the two.

Tuspejo
08-16-2012, 6:06 PM
thanks everyone one for the replies, im not competing, carrying or going into combat with this gun with the exception of a bunch of steel targets hiding out in the desert. Just looking for another addition to my hobby.
Due to the limited availability of the full rail, it looks like a winner, but i would like to hold the two. If i only could id buy them both but not possible at the moment.
Later down the road I can either find the others ones much easier than the full rail if i persued collecting all the TRP guns.

Maybe when I check out the two guns ill try to get a picture of all 3 of the guns and post them up here for everyone, its not everyday most of us can see all 3 in one place.

Tuspejo
08-19-2012, 2:36 PM
So i went to check out the Full Rail in person yesterday, my gunshop had a booth at the Costa Mesa Gun Show, so we decided to meet there. The full rail is very bulky in the front and seeing it in person was a turn off, NO OFFENSE TO ANY ONE WHO LIKES/OWNS ONE. I ended up talking to another gun shop i Normally do alot of business with just before i went to look at it and i told them my situation with the 1/2 rail and they told me to see if the other shop will FFL transfer it to them and they will SSE it for me.

So I ended up with the 1/2 rail as i originally purchased. The gun was FFLed to a local gun shop (walked to another building of the Costa Mesa gunshow) and will be converted for SSE and DROSed to me! Just sucks the 10day just got reset.

i was not able to get a picture of all 3 TRPs all together too many people in the booth at costa mesa gun show.

thanks again everyone!

Buddhabelly
08-19-2012, 2:38 PM
The full rail is bulky in the front. Ala Robocop gun. I have one and I like it for that. Something different from the other 1911s.

So i went to check out the Full Rail in person yesterday, my gunshop had a booth at the Costa Mesa Gun Show, so we decided to meet there. The full rail is very bulky in the front and seeing it in person was a turn off, NO OFFENSE TO ANY ONE WHO LIKES/OWNS ONE. I ended up talking to another gun shop i Normally do alot of business with just before i went to look at it and i told them my situation with the 1/2 rail and they told me to see if the other shop will FFL transfer it to them and they will SSE it for me.

So I ended up with the 1/2 rail as i originally purchased. The gun was FFLed to a local gun shop (walked to another building of the Costa Mesa gunshow) and will be converted for SSE and DROSed to me! Just sucks the 10day just got reset.

i was not able to get a picture of all 3 TRPs all together too many people in the booth at costa mesa gun show.

thanks again everyone!

Michaeln
08-29-2012, 3:56 PM
I have both. A black TRP Operator with full rail and a TRP Stainless target. They are the same gun except for the rail and finish. The Operator with rail is more accurate on the second shot for me. Probably because of the weight. It's also better at bullseye for the same reason. I stopped using the TRPs for competition after purchasing an STI Target master single stack .45. it's a 6" monster that holds 10 rounds with a Mccormick magazine and is definitely the most accurate .45ACP I've ever fired. It took some money to lighten the trigger but that's it. I'd buy the Target Master before ANY OTHER 1911 on the market. It's that good and is MUCH nicer than the TRP's.

dc2integra
08-29-2012, 4:06 PM
I say no rail. If you get one with a full rail yor gonna have trouble finding holsters .PLus I think no rail looks a lot better.