View Full Version : Joined the S&W 3rd Gen Crew *pics*

Mossy Man
08-15-2012, 7:30 PM
Traded my Mossberg 590 to a fellow calgunner for this pistol:

S&W 5903TSW 9MM

It appears to be a 2003 issue Gwinnett County PD (Georgia) return.

The exterior shows some holster wear, but the internals are very clean. The alloy aluminum frame has most of the wear, but it has no cracks or obvious wear spots in the guide rod channel. There is no rattle in the gun; the frame and the slide match up very well and seem to be quite tight tolerance. However, this did not seem to affect its function. Although I only fired practice FMJ ammo through it, i expect it will function well with modern JHPs (they likely were used with Rangers for service use)

I added Hogue grips because the factory grips it came with were scratched up, and some portions of it were very worn. I tried to find the right ones online to replace, but ended up settling on these i picked up at my LGS. They actually fit my large hand quite well.

Since I picked it up on Monday, I've fired 150 trouble-free rounds through it with very satisfying results. The double-action pull is definitely manageable, and the single-action pull is very smooth. Reset is nice and short into SA, and the gun is quite accurate.

My only complaint is the slide-mounted safety. It's pretty big, and sticks out pretty far from the slide. I can see how officers could complain about this thing.

Even while firing, with a double-thumbs forward grip, the safety beats the heck out of my right thumb while firing.

But all in all, I am liking this pistol quite a bit. I want a light to mount on it, but I'm not sure what types fit. I had a cheap-o UTG picatinny light that i put on it to test it out, and it seemed to fit relatively ok...just not perfect. I'm assuming S&W has some sort of proprietary rail on it.

I showed this pistol to my father, and he LOVED it. If he keeps telling me how much he likes it, I might just give it to him.

In any event, here are the photos. Any pistol-light suggestions on the cheap?

HatersLOVEme : )
08-15-2012, 7:35 PM
Nice !!!

08-15-2012, 7:42 PM
I have a non-railed 5903 with adjustable sights, and find it to be an enjoyable piece. This was a worthy acquisition!

If you shoot thumbs forward do not be afraid to park your support hand thumb on the slide lock lever. I shoot my example this way and it does not malfunction, a situation I wish were the case with Sig Sauer pistols.

Mossy Man
08-15-2012, 8:12 PM
Yeah my support thumb actually was able to rest on the slide lock without causing any last-shot hold open issues.

It's my main hand that i have to be careful of my thumb. i have to hold my right thumb down a lot more than my other pistols

08-16-2012, 5:17 AM
I just bought a SW 3913, i am on day 3. Cant wait to get it out to the range. Nice come up on a good looking gun.

Mr. Beretta
08-16-2012, 8:11 AM
You got the better deal!

Excellent gun.

Enjoy it!

Mossy Man
08-16-2012, 4:29 PM
The question is should i let my dad have it.....he seems to really like it.

08-16-2012, 5:40 PM
Congrats! Nice S&W!

08-16-2012, 5:57 PM
The question is should i let my dad have it.....he seems to really like it.

congratulations. if you gave it to your dad as a gift... seems that it would be received with great appreciation; a very nice thought on your part.

08-16-2012, 6:04 PM
Cool! Welcome to the club.

08-16-2012, 8:07 PM
I had a clean 915 i got in a trade. Sold it shortly after.....i regret that so much! One of these days i will buy a 5906 while they are still on the list.