PDA

View Full Version : Mosin Nagant and 7.62x54R Questions

Calgunner739
08-15-2012, 6:40 PM
I searched around on forums all over. A few of my questions were not answered.

Butt Pads

Are there any butt pad modifications that you have seen or have done that are recommended?

7.62x54R Ammunition
I like storing my ammo in metal surplus ammo cans. Will 7.62x54R fit in a .30 cal ammo can sideways, if so how many cartridges will fit in a single .30 cal ammo can?

If not, is leaving the ammo in their 20 per box groupings and then storing in a .50 cal ammo can the best alternative? I like to keep my ammo accessible.

Thank you for your help.

kris smith
08-15-2012, 6:48 PM
They have but pad that attach with screws just like the metal one tht work good the slip on ones suck cleaning I jut take the action out of te stock and pour hot water an the. Clean as usual and I have no issues. Ammo store it how ever you can store it loose or in the boxes it doesn't really matter much

GrizFyrFyter
08-15-2012, 6:55 PM
I have a thread that answers many of these questions.

Windex will work for cleaning (ammonia based cleaner neutralizes corrosive residue).

.30-06 bore snake will work fine, I use one on my Mosin.

I don't know about ammo storage. I use the boxes in a .50 ammo box.

GrizFyrFyter
08-15-2012, 6:58 PM
Read this. There are 3 parts.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2011/03/ralph/ralphs-guide-to-buying-your-first-mosin-nagant-9130/

mosinnagantm9130
08-15-2012, 6:59 PM
Windex will work for cleaning (ammonia based cleaner neutralizes corrosive residue).

Ammonia does nothing to get rid of corrosive salts, water will do that just fine.

Ammonia may help remove copper fouling though.

Capybara
08-15-2012, 7:05 PM
7.62x54R is shorter than 30.06, I own a Garand and a Mosin.

DennisCA
08-15-2012, 7:05 PM
Butt Pads: I have a limbsaver slip on pads, bought on amazon.

Cleaning: I use windex first, then hoppe's number 9. After that a bit of oil.
If I can I try to squirt some in the barrel prior to leaving the range, then plug the
barrel with cloth. Bore snake, a 30-cal sized should work. Personally, I use a cleaning
rod- pulling it out and not going back and forth.

Ammo storage: not sure about ammo can, I use a medium-size tool box.
Reason normally I put other stuff in there besides ammo.

IMHO

Calgunner739
08-15-2012, 7:08 PM
Read this. There are 3 parts.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2011/03/ralph/ralphs-guide-to-buying-your-first-mosin-nagant-9130/

I've already read it.

Ok - I'll be first

Butt Pads: I have a limbsaver slip on pads, bought on amazon.

Cleaning: I use windex first, then hoppe's number 9. After that a bit of oil.
If I can I try to squirt some in the barrel prior to leaving the range, then plug the
barrel with cloth. Bore snake, a 30-cal sized should work. Personally, I use a cleaning
rod- pulling it out and not going back and forth.

Ammo storage: not sure about ammo can, I use a medium-size tool box.
Reason normally I put other stuff in there besides ammo.

IMHO

What makes windex better than water for this task?

DennisCA
08-15-2012, 7:11 PM
Personal preference

Mssr. Eleganté
08-15-2012, 7:16 PM
...What makes windex better than water for this task?

Windex is not better or worse than water for removing corrosive residue. Windex has so much water in it that it is just as good as plain water for removing corrosive residue. But Windex also has ammonia in it which removes copper fouling.

I prefer water because it is cheaper and it is easier to boil. Really hot water has the benefit of drying quickly after you pour it down the bore.

Calgunner739
08-15-2012, 7:23 PM
7.62x54R is shorter than 30.06, I own a Garand and a Mosin.

Fascinating. Does anyone know how many 30.06 will fit in a .30 cal ammo can?

I'm not familiar with copper fouling. Does that happen a lot from surplus corrosive ammo?

jben
08-15-2012, 7:29 PM
For the butt pad I would recommend something like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Mosin-Nagant-Rubber-Recoil-Butt/dp/B001HIT1UO
I use one on my M44 (mostly to increase length of pull). It fits the stock perfectly and works quite well.

TRAP55
08-15-2012, 7:53 PM
It takes a lot more ammonia than Windex has to have any real effect on copper fouling, and it has to set in the barrel for awhile. I use nothing but Hoppes, and don't have any problems.
Limbsaver slip on recoil pad lives in my shooting bag so I can put it on whatever I'm shooting at the time.
About 200-250rnds of '06 to a can, depends how they're packed, bandoliers, enblocs, loose, etc. I leave the Mosin ammo in the paper packs and pack em in the cans.

Chaos47
08-15-2012, 7:56 PM
Don't use a butt pad, hold the rifle correct.

rojocorsa
08-15-2012, 8:09 PM
Fascinating. Does anyone know how many 30.06 will fit in a .30 cal ammo can?

I'm not familiar with copper fouling. Does that happen a lot from surplus corrosive ammo?

Copper fouling happens from shooting jacketed ammunition in rifles. It has nothing to do with corrosive.

If you don't have a .22 caliber rifle already, get one.

I prefer bolt guns, but that's only because most of my centerfire rifles have a turn bolt. I can vouch how my CZ .22 helped me to shoot better with a Mosin.

GrizFyrFyter
08-15-2012, 8:19 PM
The link I posted said Windex would work. I use hoppes #9, bore snake and a light coat of oil. But I'm new to this weapon.

interstellar
08-15-2012, 8:51 PM
Don't use a butt pad, hold the rifle correct.

This is my experience. Shoot a lot and after the first case of 440 rounds you won't bruise or feel a thing.

kouye
08-15-2012, 8:53 PM
I'm guessing that the Windex is used because it evaporates quickly if you are going to run it through at the range before taking it home for a good cleaning.

cwilliams
08-15-2012, 9:28 PM
This is my experience. Shoot a lot and after the first case of 440 rounds you won't bruise or feel a thing.

A butt pad also helps if you need a little extra pull. Two birds with one stone as far as I'm concerned. I use http://www.shooterpads.com Easy to store and easy to switch out between rifles if needed. The logo color is actually a subtle gray, not white as their site shows.

Chaos47
08-15-2012, 9:32 PM
I'm 6'2 240lbs, I shoot my M38 and 91/30 with heavy ball.

I always wonder how big are the people that claim they need longer LOP? I don't get it...

Hold the rifle in the correct place, don't gap it off that area. Squeeze the trigger and go along with the ride and you will be fine.

cwilliams
08-15-2012, 9:42 PM
Some people might like a little extra regardless of height or weight. All comes down to personal preference. The pad I linked to is adjustable by adding or removing three different pieces of neoprene that are a different thickness. To each their own!

BrokerB
08-15-2012, 10:01 PM
So i looked for a how and where to buy a mosin agent sticky in here...nothing .
I want two rifles ..id like to do ftf and not have to pay extra fees ...but slim pickings ..so its aim/j&g/ big 5?

Besides basics of cracked wood and rusty metal/ smooth and pitted bores- what should i ring away from? just a shooter to throw on 4wheeler with a case of surplus and bang the gongs . No pu sniper stuff .
Thanks for any direction

BrokerB
08-15-2012, 10:22 PM
Ok..found a great how to article on truthaboutguns.com

Seems like decent advice

SVT-40
08-15-2012, 10:38 PM
487 rounds will fit in a .30 cal can.

GrizFyrFyter
08-15-2012, 11:49 PM
I swear, as soon as I bought one, 20 of them came up for sale in the marketplace.

I listed a WTB ad on craigslist. Got an email the next day and came home with my Mosin 2 days after that.

Sent from my Nexus 7

johnthomas
08-16-2012, 1:32 AM
I bought 2 of these from this guy. 6.75 is buy it now.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MOSIN-NAGANT-BUTTPAD-RECOIL-RIFLE-STOCK-BUTTPAD-M44-/160806631838?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2570d2799e

Nodda Duma
08-16-2012, 1:47 AM
So i looked for a how and where to buy a mosin agent sticky in here...nothing .
I want two rifles ..id like to do ftf and not have to pay extra fees ...but slim pickings ..so its aim/j&g/ big 5?

Besides basics of cracked wood and rusty metal/ smooth and pitted bores- what should i ring away from? just a shooter to throw on 4wheeler with a case of surplus and bang the gongs . No pu sniper stuff .
Thanks for any direction

Honestly, at such low prices, just buy one with the basics you mention and you'll be fine.

I've always ordered my Mosins from AIM and had them shipped to my door with my C&R license. Sometimes I get hand picked and sometimes I don't...depends on my mood that day.

Never had complaints about the condition of the rifle. Always had to do some sort of shimming/barrel channel sanding to float the barrel and get accurate results.

CDFingers
08-16-2012, 5:55 AM
I have a Mosin carbine with the screw on butt pad that jben above recommended. It is very nice. I'm also tall, and I appreciate the longer pull.

It's OK not to love recoil, so it's also OK to use a screw on butt pad and even a wear-on limb saver at the same time.

CDFingers

Capybara
08-16-2012, 7:07 AM
I needed longer pull as I have longer arms and a long trunk so the stock Mosin is really awkward to shoulder for me. The extra LOP really helps me shoot it better.

BrokerB
08-16-2012, 7:32 AM
Reading the truth about guns about the nagant said the lop id short because it was designed to be used by soldiers with hefty thick uniforms ..think Russian winters

23 Blast
08-16-2012, 8:52 AM
As far as cleaning - I like Windex to get rid of the corrosive salts mainly because it's easy to fit in a small spray bottle. Bringing a camp stove to boil water? Not as convenient. :D

Yes - Windex is mostly water, and it is that flushing with water that gets rid of the salts, the slightly caustic nature of the ammonia certainly doesn't hurt in counteracting the acidity of the corrosive salts, and the surfactants in the Windex help it dry up quickly which ordinary tap water might not.

Then I use Hoppes and oil and have never had problems with any milsurps.

BigJ
08-16-2012, 9:01 AM

I always wonder how big are the people that claim they need longer LOP? I don't get it...

Hold the rifle in the correct place, don't gap it off that area. Squeeze the trigger and go along with the ride and you will be fine.Shorty ;P

There's nothing to "get". The thing either fits, or it doesn't. Sort of like pants length.

FWIW, I've been correctly measured for trap shooting: 15 3/4" LOP is where I "should" be for "proper fit".

Eljay
08-16-2012, 1:42 PM
Ammo cans - Leaving them in the little paper packets I use two .30 ammo cans to take one 440 round spam can of Mosin ammo. There's a ton of space left over and I don't fit them in especially carefully. I would believe if you took them out of the packets that you could get away with just one can, but I find the packets convenient and I have plenty of cans to spare.

SacTown
08-16-2012, 3:44 PM
As far as cleaning - I like Windex to get rid of the corrosive salts mainly because it's easy to fit in a small spray bottle. Bringing a camp stove to boil water? Not as convenient. :D

Yes - Windex is mostly water, and it is that flushing with water that gets rid of the salts, the slightly caustic nature of the ammonia certainly doesn't hurt in counteracting the acidity of the corrosive salts, and the surfactants in the Windex help it dry up quickly which ordinary tap water might not.

Then I use Hoppes and oil and have never had problems with any milsurps.

This is essentially what I do. Immediately after shooting, Windex down the barrel, then when I get home I boil up some water and pour it down the barrel, then I use Hoppes #9, then a light coat of oil to top it off. No problems yet. These weapons were meant to eat Milsurp.

chrisf
08-16-2012, 3:50 PM
+1. Or you can put it in a ati stock. Mine feels wonderful. It has a rubber pad on the stock already.

jben
08-16-2012, 6:31 PM

Hold the rifle in the correct place, don't gap it off that area. Squeeze the trigger and go along with the ride and you will be fine.

I'm not sure why it's hard to "get." Not all rifles fit all people.
I'm 6'1" 260lbs. My M44 fit me better after I added the butt pad.
If you like your rifle without a pad...cool for you. Don't hate me because I like mine better with a pad;)

Wicked Pete
08-18-2012, 11:49 AM
I have a Mosin carbine with the screw on butt pad that jben above recommended. It is very nice. I'm also tall, and I appreciate the longer pull.

It's OK not to love recoil, so it's also OK to use a screw on butt pad and even a wear-on limb saver at the same time.

CDFingers

Please don't tell anyone this: I have a small pillow (tactical pillow) that I tuck under my shirt. Everyone says...what's that lump under your shirt?

Ahhh, nothing! A tumor maybe, not sure.

CDFingers
08-18-2012, 12:24 PM
And I thought it was just because you were glad to see me...

I have to let you shoot some of my cast boolit reloads out of your beast, Pete. It's pretty the sweet.

CDFingers

Josh Smith
08-19-2012, 9:19 AM
Hello,

Get one of these:
http://www.smith-sights.com/resources/Redbird-recoil-pad.gif
http://www.smith-sights.com/redbirds-products.php

Then drill it out like this:

http://i1147.photobucket.com/albums/o560/Smith-Sights/Brass%20Stacker/drilled.jpg

I used a .45 case chucked into a drill with a Lee holder.

It forms to your shoulder well, and keeps it there. It does reduce recoil a little with the holes drilled. I did this because I shoot off my collar bone a lot when I'm prone and could feel my bone bending a bit when I'd shoot with an iron plate.

With proper fit, a true recoil pad is not necessary unless health prohibits recoil.

Josh

GrizFyrFyter
09-04-2012, 7:44 AM
Getting my iron sights figured out.
http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc150/grizfyrfyter/105C52F2-934B-48C3-B1AC-8593A948A9B7-8748-00000A43D3CC0C08.jpg

Powerkraut
09-04-2012, 10:07 AM
Surprised no one has mentioned Ed's Red yet. I do quite a few deep cleanings when I get a new mosin to get that bore nice and bright. After that it's just a few minutes with ER to clean, makes a great protectant too.

BigJ
09-04-2012, 10:13 AM
^^ +1 on Ed's Red. I mixed up my first gallon a couple weeks ago and have used it already a few times to clean my guns. Works like a charm.

PS: Powerkraut, what are you using as a delivery method? I'm currently using a turkey baster, but I'm sure there's a better way.

Powerkraut
09-04-2012, 10:23 AM
Haha, stab a patch on the end of a jag, dip it in the gas can I've got it in, proceed to clean. I've lost a few patches in the can though >.> The turkey baster is a good idea, I've got one I use to suck brake fluid out of the master when I do brake changes.