PDA

View Full Version : buying used ruger 10/22- what to look for

oldking2b
08-15-2012, 5:54 PM
I'm buying a used 10/22. The ad says its condition is 95%. I'm new to guns. What should I be looking for to make sure I don't get a lemon? I appreciate the help.

Munny$hot
08-15-2012, 6:06 PM
Like any other firearms purchase: Look down the barrel at the lands/groves, if possible remove the barrel band/take down screw to examine the rear bolt retainer pin hole if it's oblong, on a dropped hammer/empty chamber hold the trigger down rapidly rack the charging handle and let slam forward to ensure the hammer doesn't fall on it's own, and shoot it if possible.

SoCal Bob
08-15-2012, 6:08 PM
I would just ask them if they have made any changes or improvements. Folks sometimes "improve" them to the point where they don't work right then sell them in frustration. Most everything can be fixed. For comparison, Turners has the basic model on sale for $199.

TrailerparkTrash
08-16-2012, 4:11 PM
Ask the owner to show you how to disassemble the gun completely. Any 10/22 owner should know how to take out the trigger assembly and pull the barrel away from the stock. Look at it's condition. Cracks, bent parts... etc....

Check the "crown" at the end of the muzzle. Make sure the "crown" was never dropped in the dirt or ground. Ensure that at the crown, the land/groves all appear to be uniform and there isn't a chip on the very end of a land or groove. If there is, that's a tell-tale sign that the gun was dropped on the muzzle. A chipped crown means the bullet can fly out the barrel with horrible accuracy. The barrel can be destroyed with a chipped crown.

johnjohn301
08-22-2012, 6:11 PM
I'm buying a used 10/22. The ad says its condition is 95%. I'm new to guns. What should I be looking for to make sure I don't get a lemon? I appreciate the help.

Don't know what you are paying for a used one but it's hard to imagine it being enough to worry over. Unless you know the previous owner and the history of the gun... I'd skip it and go get a new one and spare yourself the drama.