PDA

View Full Version : Which pocket gun?

MIAMIbaseballer
08-15-2012, 4:18 PM
Long story short I'm looking for a pocket gun. The owner of the gun store I buy everything from is bringing in a Sig P238 for me to shoot because he has a special edition one he willing to do $635 OTD. I've never felt such a small gun that fits my large hands so well. BUT I'm not too fond of carry a single action in my pocket.... what do the P238 owners think?

I do not like the LCP or LC9. I know Kahr makes a few and I really like the Shield (although it's a borderline pocket gun) but anything else you recommend?

I would like to stay with 9 because I reload it, but it's not that big of a deal because most of the 9 are not pocket guns to me....

0321jarhead
08-15-2012, 4:24 PM
Have you not looked into this one. Sturdy, dependable, easy to conceal.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=13152&storeId=10002&productId=58944&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=43802&isFirearm=Y

sholling
08-15-2012, 4:32 PM
I hated the Ruger LC9's trigger but the Kahr MK9 or PM9 are great options with great triggers. I have a PM40 which I don't recommend because it kicks like a mule but is otherwise a darn fine little pistol. I recommend the all metal MK over the polymer PM for longevity.

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u197/damnfineguy/My%20Toys%20600/02c5fd75.jpg

MIAMIbaseballer
08-15-2012, 4:40 PM
Have you not looked into this one. Sturdy, dependable, easy to conceal.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=13152&storeId=10002&productId=58944&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=43802&isFirearm=Y

seems a little too heavy and big for pocket carry

glockwise2000
08-15-2012, 4:55 PM
Try the wanna be mini-Glock DB9s. You have to go through SSE with Table Rock Arms.

MIAMIbaseballer
08-15-2012, 5:14 PM
Try the wanna be mini-Glock DB9s. You have to go through SSE with Table Rock Arms.

heard too many bad things.... they're made here in FL a few hours from me. I live in Miami, no SSE necessary.

Colt562
08-15-2012, 5:26 PM
Have you looked into the Smith and Wesson Bodyguard 380...yeah i know its not a 9mm, but for carrying, I wouldn't recommend carrying reloaded rounds, I would carry some factory just in case the worst does happen, they know what charge of powder and all the good stuff, but thats my opinion. My dad is 6'7 and has very large hands, he held it a couple of days ago and said it was really nice and felt big enough for his hands but small enough to conceal.

gm412
08-15-2012, 5:30 PM
For 9mm pocket nothing beats a pm9. For a small pocket gun Kahr p380. It will fit in any pocket.

Donkeypunch0420
08-15-2012, 5:47 PM
How about a Glock 26?

MIAMIbaseballer
08-15-2012, 5:49 PM
I hated the Ruger LC9's trigger but the Kahr MK9 or PM9 are great options with great triggers. I have a PM40 which I don't recommend because it kicks like a mule but is otherwise a darn fine little pistol. I recommend the all metal MK over the polymer PM for longevity.

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u197/damnfineguy/My%20Toys%20600/02c5fd75.jpg

Seriously considering the cm9 or pm9..... Thanks

MIAMIbaseballer
08-15-2012, 5:51 PM
Have you looked into the Smith and Wesson Bodyguard 380...yeah i know its not a 9mm, but for carrying, I wouldn't recommend carrying reloaded rounds, I would carry some factory just in case the worst does happen, they know what charge of powder and all the good stuff, but thats my opinion. My dad is 6'7 and has very large hands, he held it a couple of days ago and said it was really nice and felt big enough for his hands but small enough to conceal.

I do really like the way it feels almost as much as the P238. Never shot one but heard good and bad about them unfortunately....

MIAMIbaseballer
08-15-2012, 5:52 PM
For 9mm pocket nothing beats a pm9. For a small pocket gun Kahr p380. It will fit in any pocket.

I agree.... These are the competition to the P238. Thanks

MIAMIbaseballer
08-15-2012, 5:53 PM
How about a Glock 26?

way too big.... had one and sold it a few months ago.

bigdawg86
08-15-2012, 6:02 PM
I am kinda annoyed at the fact that all the decent pocket DA 380 guns aren't on the roster... and the ones that are there are 500-600 dollar guns or are too large and or ugly. What gives?

akoba
08-15-2012, 6:13 PM
I really like the LCP because of its weight. It disappear in the pocket because of the thin profile. But with the thin profile, shooting this lcp hurts my hand. I don't mind the long trigger pull. My wife don't like the way it shoot but she likes the weight too. So she decided to buy the sig 238. And tell you what, when i shoot it i start hating my LCP. lol
That sig238 feels so comfortable and more accurate. You can go back to target right away because of its night sight. But i don't think it's for a pocket gun because of it weight.
if you want a pocket gun on 9mm, go with LC9 or PM9.

Gabriel80
08-15-2012, 7:26 PM
I love my LCP! I put a 14 pound Wolf spring on it and I think it makes the recoil more tolerable. It's a little heaver to rack the slide, but I don't mind it all. It also helps prevent jamming.

SIGman Freud
08-15-2012, 7:26 PM
To the OP:

I'm in the same boat.

Have you looked into the Beretta Nano? They are available via SSE at most places in CA. Also, I hear they are going to make a CA compliant version.

Maybe wait a while and see if Springfield XDS comes out with the 9mm version. I would seriously consider that one, actually.

Right now, pocket 9's are the rage. So they and other manufacturers want to cash in on the craze.

Except Glock, apparently. :rolleyes:

Squidward
08-15-2012, 7:51 PM
Maybe this chart will help.

http://www.mouseguns.com/PocketAutoComparison.pdf

Tiberius
08-15-2012, 8:03 PM
I went through this a while back and picked up a P238. I love it, and carry it almost every day. The downsides to it are that its a .380, and its SA. The upsides, compared to many pocket guns, are that its SA, and it has very good sights and a good trigger. I think mine is fun to shoot, and I enjoy shooting it. It also shoots very well and is an easy pocket carry.

The SA only thing makes pocket carry a bit queasy, at first; though it shouldn't. There's something about that cocked hammer, just raring to go. But Glocks have strikers raring to go too - you just can't see them. And lots of folks carry Glocks or Kahrs or Nanos and imho any old pen or coin that gets in the trigger guard can cause a loud noise and, maybe, Glock leg. While Glocks aren't really single or double action, they do lack an external safety, and the 238's takes a good click to engage/disengage. I carried for a month or so without a round in the chamber to see if the hammer would fall - it didn't.

Before buying mine I did a lot of research on the internet and the 238 tends to get very good reviews. There are also lots of videos on youtube. One caution - at this point you might try to get a 938 instead - the 9mm version, that's about a half inch longer.

I also looked at the S&W Bodyguard but didn't like it as much, and its reviews weren't as good. Though at one point I planned on buying both.

Good luck!

MIAMIbaseballer
08-15-2012, 8:33 PM
To the OP:

I'm in the same boat.

Have you looked into the Beretta Nano? They are available via SSE at most places in CA. Also, I hear they are going to make a CA compliant version.

Maybe wait a while and see if Springfield XDS comes out with the 9mm version. I would seriously consider that one, actually.

Right now, pocket 9's are the rage. So they and other manufacturers want to cash in on the craze.

Except Glock, apparently. :rolleyes:

Nano is too big for a pocket gun.... I'm really considering the Kahr p380 and cm9/pm9. Seems to be the best for what I want. I buy my guns in Miami so no need for the SSE

MIAMIbaseballer
08-15-2012, 8:33 PM
Maybe this chart will help.

http://www.mouseguns.com/PocketAutoComparison.pdf

Thanks

CK_32
08-15-2012, 8:35 PM
Which ever ones don't fall out of your placket and shoot you in the a** lol :D

Squid
08-15-2012, 8:43 PM
purpose made CCW with smooth edges.

http://www.gunblast.com/Bersa_380CC.htm

Mags are expensive at $35, and they don't work with more common Bersa Thunder mags.

I've heard these are some of the nicer shooting and more accurate Mouse Guns.

mrblah
08-15-2012, 10:21 PM
A few months ago, I went on a mission to find the perfect pocket pistol, and came to this conclusion:

If you want a firearm that fits in ANY pocket, regardless of attire, look no further than:
Kahr p380
Sig P238
Ruger LCP/Keltech P3at/and others in that class but not on Cali roster.
Snub nose revolvers, such as SmithNWesson J frames, or Ruger LCR.

All of the above, disappear in the pocket, whether its jeans, cargos, dress slacks, fitted jeans, fitted slacks, etc.

here is a pic of my Kahr P380 for reference against some common items:
http://i815.photobucket.com/albums/zz74/booboobearworld/photo1.jpg

its literally a little thicker than a Iphone, and thinner than a pack of marlboro's.

The Shield and Glock 26 don't fit well in my pockets, either due to weight or bulkiness or both. Great options for IWB.

I love the Kahr Pm9, Ruger LC9, and Sig P938, but i find it that it makes my dress/business slacks look a bit sloppy due to the weight. However, it fits well in my jeans....

Remember what works for others, may not work for you......wear the tightest pants you normally wear, when you go check out pocket pistols.......thats what I did...and ended up with the Kahr p380 and a Ruger LCR.

Good luck and have fun in your pocket pistol shopping adventures.

teflondog
08-16-2012, 10:50 AM
It depends on your build and how you dress. I don't wear form fitting clothes so I'm able to pocket carry a Glock 26. Pocket carrying a Shield would be even easier for me.

Legasat
08-16-2012, 10:56 AM
I have been eyeballing that new Sig P938 9mm, looks pretty nice...

6 rounds, 16oz, SAO trigger

Sig P938 (http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProductList/pistols-p938.aspx)

MIAMIbaseballer
08-16-2012, 5:36 PM
I have been eyeballing that new Sig P938 9mm, looks pretty nice...

6 rounds, 16oz, SAO trigger

Sig P938 (http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProductList/pistols-p938.aspx)

I'm trying to stay away from a SA tigger. It's a sweet gun but not for pocket carry IMO

MIAMIbaseballer
08-16-2012, 5:37 PM
A few months ago, I went on a mission to find the perfect pocket pistol, and came to this conclusion:

If you want a firearm that fits in ANY pocket, regardless of attire, look no further than:
Kahr p380
Sig P238
Ruger LCP/Keltech P3at/and others in that class but not on Cali roster.

All of the above, disappear in the pocket, whether its jeans, cargos, dress slacks, fitted jeans, fitted slacks, etc.

here is a pic of my Kahr P380 for reference against some common items:
http://i815.photobucket.com/albums/zz74/booboobearworld/photo1.jpg

its literally a little thicker than a Iphone, and thinner than a pack of marlboro's.

The Shield and Glock 26 don't fit well in my pockets, either due to weight or bulkiness or both. Great options for IWB.

I love the Kahr Pm9, Ruger LC9, and Sig P938, but i find it that it makes my dress/business slacks look a bit sloppy due to the weight. However, it fits well in my jeans....

Remember what works for others, may not work for you......wear the tightest pants you normally wear, when you go check out pocket pistols.......thats what I did...and ended up with the Kahr p380 and a Ruger LCR.

Good luck and have fun in your pocket pistol shopping adventures.

Thanks I'm really leaning towards this gun!

KandyRedCoi
08-17-2012, 2:41 AM
im in the same situation as the OP

ive narrowed down my choices to lcp/lc9 or p380/pm9 or for ultimate pocket gun the Seecamp 32
http://www.anacortesgunshop.com/content/images/thumbs/0005611_lw_seecamp_lws_32_32acp_pistol_california_ edition.jpeg

edit: handled a khar p380 and it is really good ... biggest deterent is the price tag over $700 + tax + dros

1000stars
08-17-2012, 3:32 AM
Which ever you pick make sure it has an external safety. Otherwise you may accidentally pull the trigger when you put your hand in your pocket. Just like the guy in the theater who accidentally shot himself and had to tell the police that it fell out of his pocket.

Tiberius
08-17-2012, 8:41 AM
I don't really get the theory that DA is inherently pocket safe while SA (with a safety) isn't. To me, even DA without an external safety is riskier, because a coin, pen, or loop can get into the trigger guard and then . . . bang. The coin, pen or whatever won't say "oh, this is a long trigger pull, never mind, I'll hop on out of here." There's a thread now about a cop at a range in the rain who was reholstering a Sig 229 (I think) and an elastic draw-cord from the rain gear got into the trigger guard and he shot himself in the leg. (Fortunately he appears to be OK). The drawcord made the DA pull.

I freely admit that I'm one of the few that thinks that an external safety on a CCW weapon is a good idea; it does require practice and training so that taking the safety off is part of the draw. I also carry a P238, so I have that bias. The Kahr P380 is a beautiful little gun with a great trigger - I thought it was a long pull but incredibly smooth - but on balance I decided that for me, an external safety was safer than just a DA pull.

I also like the Bersa .380s, which are clones of the PPKs (but made by escaped Nazis in Argentina).

One last note on pocket carry - depending on the person and the pocket, almost any gun can be pocket carried, or can be too big. A Beretta 92 can fit into a coat pocket; a j-frame (or anything else) will be too big for certain pants, especially where the pockets are small or the fit tight. A pocket depth check is something I now do when buying pants or shorts. I think the flatter automatics are easier than the J-frames, but lots of folks say the j-frames fit anywhere and that the rounded shape helps.

So unfortunately, it again comes down to individual preference and what works for each person.

JNunez23
08-17-2012, 8:44 AM
I use a Kahr MK9..

k1dude
08-17-2012, 9:47 AM
I don't really get the theory that DA is inherently pocket safe while SA (with a safety) isn't. To me, even DA without an external safety is riskier, because a coin, pen, or loop can get into the trigger guard and then . . . bang. The coin, pen or whatever won't say "oh, this is a long trigger pull, never mind, I'll hop on out of here." There's a thread now about a cop at a range in the rain who was reholstering a Sig 229 (I think) and an elastic draw-cord from the rain gear got into the trigger guard and he shot himself in the leg. (Fortunately he appears to be OK). The drawcord made the DA pull.

I freely admit that I'm one of the few that thinks that an external safety on a CCW weapon is a good idea; it does require practice and training so that taking the safety off is part of the draw. I also carry a P238, so I have that bias. The Kahr P380 is a beautiful little gun with a great trigger - I thought it was a long pull but incredibly smooth - but on balance I decided that for me, an external safety was safer than just a DA pull.

I also like the Bersa .380s, which are clones of the PPKs (but made by escaped Nazis in Argentina).

One last note on pocket carry - depending on the person and the pocket, almost any gun can be pocket carried, or can be too big. A Beretta 92 can fit into a coat pocket; a j-frame (or anything else) will be too big for certain pants, especially where the pockets are small or the fit tight. A pocket depth check is something I now do when buying pants or shorts. I think the flatter automatics are easier than the J-frames, but lots of folks say the j-frames fit anywhere and that the rounded shape helps.

So unfortunately, it again comes down to individual preference and what works for each person.

Regardless of which gun you buy, a holster should always be used for pocket carry. The holster will keep the gun in the proper position for a faster and repeatable draw, keep the trigger from being accidentally pulled, and keep the gun from printing. If you aren't using a holster, you should have NOTHING else in that pocket.

A long heavy double action pull is inherently safer than a short light single action pull if you have the gun unprotected in a pocket with other items - which should never happen.

So if you're pocket carrying without a holster and with other junk in that same pocket, you're already doing a whole bunch of things wrong to start with.

KandyRedCoi
08-17-2012, 11:28 AM
if you are pocket carrying you def need a pocket holster, and why in the hell would someone put a pen/coins/junk in the same pocket? lol thats dumb

paul0660
08-17-2012, 11:37 AM
Not the plastic dumb Ruger, and maybe a Taurus. Snubs are made for pocket carry, and you only have to blow the dust bunnies out every month. I think the MK9 is a beautiful creation, but I have never used a 9mm Kahr that is reliable enough to carry, and even the small ones look like a brick in the pocket compared to a snub.

KandyRedCoi
08-17-2012, 11:38 AM
it would be nice to see some of the members set ups and how it "imprints" or fits in their type of pokcet carry

paul0660
08-17-2012, 11:44 AM
it would be nice to see some of the members set ups and how it "imprints" or fits in their type of pokcet carry

Can't see a thing!

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w162/paul0660/Bencannontard3.jpg

paul0660
08-17-2012, 11:45 AM
Ooops wrong pic. Here is my snub nose holstered:

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w162/paul0660/IMG_0945.jpg

KandyRedCoi
08-17-2012, 12:08 PM
cant even tell its there, very nice

ljgrasso
08-17-2012, 6:37 PM
Can't see a thing!

Must be between two pillows...

pyromensch
08-17-2012, 10:20 PM
Can't see a thing!

that blinded me too....thanks.

my "summertime" "pocket" gun is a charter arms 44 bulldog.
i wear cargo shorts, and it is not obvious, to anyone.

but i have gotten some "knowing glances" from women from time to time

pyromensch
08-17-2012, 10:23 PM
Ooops wrong pic. Here is my snub nose holstered:

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w162/paul0660/IMG_0945.jpg

i agree, with kandy..., i can't see you "snubnose" either.

by the way, this is a "family" forum :)

MIAMIbaseballer
08-18-2012, 6:27 PM
im in the same situation as the OP

ive narrowed down my choices to lcp/lc9 or p380/pm9 or for ultimate pocket gun the Seecamp 32
http://www.anacortesgunshop.com/content/images/thumbs/0005611_lw_seecamp_lws_32_32acp_pistol_california_ edition.jpeg

edit: handled a khar p380 and it is really good ... biggest deterent is the price tag over $700 + tax + dros

Where the hell are you getting your prices?...... They're $519 on Buds. I dont know how much they are in Cali but that means they're under $550 in Miami

desertjosh
08-18-2012, 6:36 PM
Not to kinda thread jack, but is there such a thing as a .357 revolver that is small enough for pocket carry?

Invisible_Dave
08-18-2012, 6:43 PM
Not to kinda thread jack, but is there such a thing as a .357 revolver that is small enough for pocket carry?

S&W J-Frame has a .357 that is very sweet and light. It hits like a lead pipe and I don't shoot it well. I like my 442 in .38 +p. it's a little heavier and lighter kick.

mrblah
08-18-2012, 6:46 PM

I own a Ruger LCR snub nose in 357 that is small enough to pocket carry in most attire, but not all attire. It is my go to pocket carry firearm. If that doesn't fit, then i go smaller, like my Kahr.

I'm sure there are similar offerings by smith and wesson, charter arms, and taurus. It will depend on your budget.

IMHO, shooting 357 in a snub nose is um.........................not fun. Its very challenging to shoot, especially when you get into the lightweight snub noses. I shoot mainly 38 special+P and have no problems shooting it.

otteray
08-18-2012, 7:00 PM
S&W 642 38+p in a Uncle Mike's holster stays in my pocket at all times, wherever legal.
I have to remind myself of its presence in my jeans or cargo shorts and remove it whenever I walk down to the corner market; I almost forget it is there.

MIAMIbaseballer
08-18-2012, 7:01 PM

+1 for the LCR. No need for a 357 though when you have 38+p......

XDRoX
08-18-2012, 7:54 PM

The Model 60 is really small. The ony problem is it's heavy, especially compared to little 380 pocket pistols.

http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/cc412/XDRoX619/SW.jpg

It's still big compared to the LCP.

http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/cc412/XDRoX619/LCPvsSW.jpg

But so is everything.

http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/cc412/XDRoX619/LCPvsG26.jpg

http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/cc412/XDRoX619/LCPvsLC92.jpg

SVRider
08-18-2012, 8:39 PM
+1 for what many have said.

Depending on what you are comfortable with, 442/342 or PM9. 380 is better than nothing in those times you simply can't get away with bigger, so P380 for those occasions.

Don't get me wrong, 380's can be fatal as well, but in a fight you want to be able to stop someone from whatever it is they are doing ASAP, and the expert opinions I have read (i.e. Doc. G. Roberts), 380 just doesn't have the power to consistently do this. 38+P is marginal, and 9mm is where most feel the minimum floor is. The big advantage with the snubby is you don't even need to remove it from your pocket to get it into action if it comes down to it.

Make sure to set some money aside as well for a good holster. I was really surprised how important it is. With a good holster and belt, a G19 can disappear in shorts and a t-shirt. Pocket holsters are just as important. They prevent anything from entering the trigger guard while holding the pistol in a fixed position where it can be consistently accessed.

For the P380/PM9 for pocket carry, this is my personal favorite. Surprisingly secure as well as fast to access.

http://www.recluseholster.com/

All three have no safety, so the long smooth trigger pulls are the safeties....just point and squeeze. I'd start with either the J-frame or PM9, then expand from there as necessary, but that's just my $0.02......

Good luck with your search.

SVRider
08-18-2012, 8:42 PM
...and this is a great resource by the way for size/weight comparison of some of the things you might be considering:

http://mouseguns.com/PocketAutoComparison.pdf

HTH

KandyRedCoi
08-20-2012, 2:48 AM
Where the hell are you getting your prices?...... They're $519 on Buds. I dont know how much they are in Cali but that means they're under $550 in Miami

well in CA we typically get gouged, the Khar pistols cost a bit more probably because of the SAFETIES that the manufacturers have to impliment in order to sell their pistols here :(

scratch
08-20-2012, 9:58 AM
well in CA we typically get gouged, the Khar pistols cost a bit more probably because of the SAFETIES that the manufacturers have to impliment in order to sell their pistols here :(

The CA Compliant P380's are higher, however Bud's has them for $572 and shopped locally (Sac area) they range from $619 to $650.

I have the MK9, but will add the P380 to the stable.

Gress
08-20-2012, 10:18 AM
check this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCFCMpjM8_w

akoba
08-20-2012, 2:06 PM
If you can carry with a little bit weight, go with the sig238. If not get the LCP.

KandyRedCoi
08-20-2012, 8:00 PM
The CA Compliant P380's are higher, however Bud's has them for $572 and shopped locally (Sac area) they range from $619 to $650.

thanks even with ffl transfer fees, buds will still be cheaper than buying locally, thanks!

dpop24
08-21-2012, 12:19 AM

Who has a P238 in stock locally? I'm looking for one - live in Auburn.

emilychung
08-21-2012, 12:23 AM
seems a little too heavy and big for pocket carry
You're right.I own that one.it's too heavy for pocket carry.

Tiberius
08-21-2012, 10:56 AM
In answer to dpop's question, P238s are hard to find, but a while back I saw a few at Wild Bill's in Elk Grove. That's sort of local to Auburn, I guess. Might be worth a call.

USAbodypilot
08-21-2012, 11:08 AM
OP - I will tell you about what I have experienced with my own hands and save speculation for another day. I had the Kahr P380 - ended up selling it. I didn't like the feel in hand, shooting it was very hard for me as it felt strange. Sure it was small but I has so many problems with not seating the mag (yes it was me as the mag would seat with good technique but I don't want to have to work hard, a good pistol should be easy) that I ended up hating it.

Now the Sig 238 is a complete love affair for me. The fit in my hand and the shooting performance are stellar. I have no ergonomic problems - one of my fav guns now and that is saying a lot as I like big stainless lumps for range shooting but I still love the P238. You have to get over carrying a 1911 style condition 1, or you don't - up to you.

Excelsior
08-21-2012, 12:33 PM
The Model 60 is really small. The ony problem is it's heavy, especially compared to little 380 pocket pistols.

It's still big compared to the LCP.

But so is everything.

Not the Seecamps.

Grumpyoldretiredcop
08-21-2012, 7:53 PM
Having looked at a number of pistols for pocket carry, starting with the Glock 27 that I've carried for years, the Kahr offerings and Sig Sauer compacts, I gave up on finding a semi-auto that worked for me. The criteria were that it fit with a pocket holster in the jeans that I wear most of the time.

However, a S&W Model 60 (no dash) from my safe worked fine in a DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster. It was a little heavy, so I found a S&W 642 to replace it. With an internal hammer, there's nothing to snag on the draw, and it's much lighter than the stainless M60. I pay the price in increased recoil and fitted a set of Pachmayr grips to help alleviate that.

It's pretty much invisible. My daughter couldn't tell where it is, and we have played the "where's my gun today" game for years - she's pretty sharp at it.

k1dude
08-21-2012, 8:05 PM
Unless the OP is going to buy used, most of the guns being recommended here are far over his budget of under $400.

Yes the guns being mentioned all all great guns and I own a few of them myself, but they aren't helping the OP's finances.

That's why I still say get the Ruger LC9. The LCP would fall within the budget, but many question the .380 as an effective self-defense round.

biogenic
08-21-2012, 8:16 PM
PPS.... If you can find one. I really like my lc9. You can always get a Galloway kit for the trigger. I like mine stock. Extremely accurate.

loose_electron
08-21-2012, 8:28 PM
No complaints here for either the Bersa Thunder or the Ruger LCP. Neither are "fun to shoot" due to very little mass and the consequent kick in the wrist, but small .380's are about small and concealable, not about great aim and tight groups. For fun I stick with my full size pistols.

LAKings22
08-21-2012, 8:33 PM
Great pocket gun

http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/hh586/Lakings22/FFD8B8CC-C54B-4411-B0CF-81B00D30CB61-27689-0000219BEDFBD555.jpg

Jack L
08-22-2012, 5:48 AM
S&W J-Frame has a .357 that is very sweet and light. It hits like a lead pipe and I don't shoot it well. I like my 442 in .38 +p. it's a little heavier and lighter kick.

I use a 442 .38+P that had a trigger job. No external hammer to hang up, very lightweight, always goes bang. I have a laser grip on it. About as safe as one can get while in your pocket. Old school but reliable.

krby
08-22-2012, 6:43 AM
The PM9 is slightly smaller, more rounded, more "finished", and more expensive compared to the CW9. For a striker fired pistol, I like the trigger (I'm used to single action 1911s). I've got a pocket holster for it and it while it conceals well in the front pocket of my jeans (not baggy, but not tight) while standing, I think it prints too much when sitting. It may be that others wouldn't notice, though. In a IWB holster, the PM9 disappears pretty much at any position on my waist and with pretty much any clothing.

Horton Fenty
08-22-2012, 6:59 AM
Long story short I'm looking for a pocket gun. The owner of the gun store I buy everything from is bringing in a Sig P238 for me to shoot because he has a special edition one he willing to do $635 OTD. I've never felt such a small gun that fits my large hands so well. BUT I'm not too fond of carry a single action in my pocket.... what do the P238 owners think?

I do not like the LCP or LC9. I know Kahr makes a few and I really like the Shield (although it's a borderline pocket gun) but anything else you recommend?

I would like to stay with 9 because I reload it, but it's not that big of a deal because most of the 9 are not pocket guns to me....

I don't yet own a P238, but I will soon. I've done a lot of looking around and reading and the 238 is the pocket pistol for me. I also considered Colt Mustang, a Kahr, or a Walther.

Finding anything Colt is damn difficult. I have nothing but good things to say about Kahr. Walther would be nice. What clinches it for me is the P238 has the same controls as my Commander I carry currently.

380 ACP is nothing to sneeze at. I don't go along with the old conception that it's barely, or less than, adequate as a man stopper.

Jack L
08-22-2012, 7:13 AM
Have you seen this? Scroll down for more videos

http://www.heizerfirearms.com/

Paltik
08-22-2012, 9:44 AM

I have the S&W 340PD (http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_764939_-1_757768_757767_757751_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y). Great for concealed carry--it's small, light, can be carried IWB or in a pocket slip, and no external hammer to get hung up on clothes.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore/SmWesson2/upload/images/firearms/zoom_lg/163062_01_lg.jpg

Sackman1886
08-23-2012, 9:08 AM
Anyone have a p938? The p238 gets a lot of attention, but I just do not like the .380!

Other than being expensive, I think the p938 looks like a fantastic pistol! any thoughts?

RedFord150
08-23-2012, 9:20 AM
No complaints here for either the Bersa Thunder or the Ruger LCP. Neither are "fun to shoot" ....

I own a Bersa Thunder .380 and my Son and I both think it is a lot of fun too shoot. We have also let several other people try it and most come away smiling.

CasperSYTFU
08-23-2012, 9:38 AM
I have the S&W 340PD (http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_764939_-1_757768_757767_757751_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y). Great for concealed carry--it's small, light, can be carried IWB or in a pocket slip, and no external hammer to get hung up on clothes.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore/SmWesson2/upload/images/firearms/zoom_lg/163062_01_lg.jpg

What an awesome looking little gun.