PDA

View Full Version : marlin 795 mag durability?

sigma6
08-15-2012, 4:01 PM
I have noticed that my mags are getting worse and worse. I load them using a lula. It seems when I load, usually standing up, I put too much weight on them. This is fine for mags that have stronger springs like my 9mm mags but my 795 mags I'm having to mark my mags slowly 1 by 1.

Merc1138
08-15-2012, 4:09 PM
So.... put less weight on them? Also, magazines are a consumable, they aren't made to last forever. Plus, the marlin 795 mags weren't made with a loader like the lula in mind, or you putting your weight on top of it with a lula.

sigma6
08-15-2012, 5:36 PM
Well you have to have put some weight on it to depress the follower. I am using the lula designed for .22s, not regular one used for pistols or rifle. I have put about 600 rounds through each mag(3 total) so that's only loading each mag 60 times more or less. So I shoot once a month with about 300 rounds, each mag gets loaded 10 times per session or roughly 10 months. That doesn't sound like a lot of usage to me.

Merc1138
08-15-2012, 7:15 PM
Like I said, those mags weren't made to be used with a loader like that. You're supposed to put pressure on the follower with the next round you're inserting. That loader puts pressure on the body of the mag.

Of course I did forget to mention one thing, have you actually cleaned your mags?

Merc1138
08-15-2012, 7:15 PM
Like I said, those mags weren't made to be used with a loader like that. You're supposed to put pressure on the follower with the next round you're inserting. That loader puts pressure on the body of the mag.

Of course I did forget to mention one thing, have you actually cleaned your mags?

sigma6
08-15-2012, 7:58 PM
I wipe em down when I clean the gun but I don't spray a solvent or anything.

rayrayz
08-16-2012, 9:01 AM
I have only two mags and put almost 3 boxes (525) of bulk through them. They still seem to function fine...no problems. I do not use loaders I just use my fingers. just my 2 cents. I have yet to clean them but they are due. lol

The Right to Bear Arms
08-16-2012, 9:04 AM
Well boys, I just got 6 mags so thanks for bringing to light the fact they are consumables and meant to be used in conjunction with a loader.

TheBest
08-16-2012, 9:41 AM
My mags work fine with the lula, I don't see how you can put so much pressure on the mag, just enough to put one round in, let go, and press on it again. My 795 mags are so tight, that I had to get the lula to go over 7-8 rounds.

Merc1138
08-16-2012, 10:17 AM

Flush 'em out with some degreaser or something and work the followers up and down a bit to get any crud out of the inside of the body that's in contact with the follower.

Well boys, I just got 6 mags so thanks for bringing to light the fact they are consumables and meant to be used in conjunction with a loader.

When I say that magazines are consumables, don't take it like I meant that they're only good for using once or twice then need to be tossed. But parts do wear out and they aren't made to last as long as the gun itself will(if you're shooting with any regularity). Springs wearing out over time, feed lips getting dinged up, and other things do happen to magazines in general over time.

The Right to Bear Arms
08-16-2012, 10:18 AM
Flush 'em out with some degreaser or something and work the followers up and down a bit to get any crud out of the inside of the body that's in contact with the follower.

When I say that magazines are consumables, don't take it like I meant that they're only good for using once or twice then need to be tossed. But parts do wear out and they aren't made to last as long as the gun itself will(if you're shooting with any regularity). Springs wearing out over time, feed lips getting dinged up, and other things do happen to magazines in general over time.

Bro, it's okay. I've got an MBA. I understand. haha.

oneeyebear
08-16-2012, 10:34 AM

I use a powder solvent on mine and clean them up really nice with a wire brush/toothbrush. The 795 seems to have a serious amount of powder left over throughout the entire gun after shooting. For me it definitely requires cleaning after every range trip and for me that cleaning includes the stock, barrel, bolt, action, and mags. I am not that great with gun cleaning and I kinda taught myself but it usually takes a good hour sometimes longer to fully flush out the powder from the entire rifle.