PDA

View Full Version : Picking up a Nikon pro staff for a first scope

Paul053
08-15-2012, 4:00 PM
Getting the Nikon prostaff 3-9 to go on my sig 522 for Appleseed. I've never owned a scope before so a few questions. I've read about zeroing out your scope dials. Does this mean counting out the clicks to make sure all adjustment dials are set in the middle of their range? Secondly I would need one inch rings for this scope correct?

Thanks!

Izzy43
08-15-2012, 4:48 PM
Getting the Nikon prostaff 3-9 to go on my sig 522 for Appleseed. I've never owned a scope before so a few questions. I've read about zeroing out your scope dials. Does this mean counting out the clicks to make sure all adjustment dials are set in the middle of their range? Secondly I would need one inch rings for this scope correct?

Thanks!

Not sure what you mean about zeroing out the scope dials but I'll try a little explanation of how to use the dials (which are acutally called turrets, one for elevation and one for windage).

Chances are that the turrets are set to their midrange from the factory so you only need to mount the scope (1" rings are the correct size) and then zero it for the range at which you will most commonly shoot. After zeroing the scope you can reset the turrets to "0". You do this by lifting up on the part of the turret that moves and rotating it to the "0" point and then release it. You now have a zero point that you can return to if you adjust the scope for a different distance.

For zeroing the scope set up a target @ 25yds and start by just getting the bullets to hit the target somewhere. Shoot three shots to form a group so you know where the center of that group is.

You then adjust the turrets to move where you want the bullet to hit. For elevation moving it up means the bullet impact point will move up. Same for windage, moving it left will move the bullet impact point to the left. Continue until you have the bullets hitting the target where you want. On my scope one click moves the bullet impact 1/4" @ 50 yds so @ 25yds one click will move the bullet impact point 1/8".

Once zeroed at 25yds then move your target to the distance that you want to zero the scope for your most common shooting (maybe 50 yds). Repeat the steps to zero again at the new distance. Once zeroed, reset the turrets to the "0" point.

I have the Prostaff Rimfire 3-9X40MM BDC 150 scope and this is the way that it works.

Paul053
08-15-2012, 5:13 PM
Thanks again dude....i dunno why I bother to post! Should just ask you straight away! But what you wrote about getting your zero and lifting up on the turrets was what I was asking about.

bman940
08-18-2012, 8:32 AM
The zero reset turrets allow you to dial in your rifle and then pull up on the turret and turn the knob to xero and push it in. That way if you are ever dialing distance shots you can get back to the 50 yard zero. I would also suggest you look at Nikon's Spot Spot On Ballistic Program. It will tell you all sorts of info. , taking into account your scope, .cal and ammo. That PROSTAFF 3-9 Rimfire BDC 150 is one of my favorite scopes and has been sitting for more then a year on my 10/22.
Post a pic when you get it all mounted up and let us know what you think.
http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd363/bman940/ProStaffRimfire-1.jpg