PDA

View Full Version : SSE question on compact guns

duc748bip
08-15-2012, 3:51 PM
I hear SSE need a barrel of 6" or more
In some popular semi-auto its easy to get longer barrel fitted my question is for compact fixed barrel, like Makarov, PPK
First does the single shot pistol need to be fuctional? i.e. barrel blank temporally fitted in the gun.
Second can it be a sub-caliber sleeve? li.e. 22 lr barrel insert semi permently fitted in to the original barrel to bring it over 6"

just throwing ideas around..

morrcarr67
08-15-2012, 3:58 PM
The answer to your first question is yes; it must be functional.

I don't know the answer to your second question.

kauaibuilt
08-15-2012, 4:08 PM
The answer to your first question is yes; it must be functional.

I don't know the answer to your second question.

Are you sure about the "functional" portion? Ive seen SSE barrels that were extensions (unsure if it was even rifled) welded onto an aftermarket functional barrel.

I would think this is similar to 16" AOL - ie. welded FH to make a 14.5" upper long enough. I dont know if CA law defines "barrel length" to mean "functional length" vs "OAL".

Cyc Wid It
08-15-2012, 5:01 PM
The gun has to be functional.

morrcarr67
08-15-2012, 5:59 PM
Are you sure about the "functional" portion? Ive seen SSE barrels that were extensions (unsure if it was even rifled) welded onto an aftermarket functional barrel.

I would think this is similar to 16" AOL - ie. welded FH to make a 14.5" upper long enough. I dont know if CA law defines "barrel length" to mean "functional length" vs "OAL".

Yes I'm sure.

As funny as this looks it is a functional single shot gun.

http://www.shotgunnews.com/files/2011/11/tracy-rifle-1114.jpg

EBR Works
08-15-2012, 9:10 PM
Second can it be a sub-caliber sleeve? li.e. 22 lr barrel insert semi permently fitted in to the original barrel to bring it over 6"

just throwing ideas around..

We don't do this but I have seen a .25ACP barrel sleeved into larger calibers. .22 LR won't work since the firing pin on a centerfire pistol would not strike the cartridge in the correct location.

mc21
08-15-2012, 9:30 PM
Was told that you can't change calipers as that is considered manufacturing a weapon.