PDA

View Full Version : Rat Hunter

ArmedJackal
08-15-2012, 3:52 PM
Hey all. I know this might not be the right place for this, but...

I am looking to get a bb, pellet, or air gun to snipe rats. I saw a variety of them advertised in cabelas catalog ranging from .17 to .25 cal. Is. There any advise anyone could share? I'm also thinking that this will be a good introductory tool to guns with my kids.

Anyway. I greatly appreciate any help.

ArmedJackal
08-16-2012, 1:20 PM
88 views and no opinions. I must have put this in the wrong forum category:)

Izzy43
08-16-2012, 1:32 PM
As you know this is the Rimfire Forum so you may want to go elsewhere on an AirRifle forum for more comments. However here's my $.02 worth. I have read good reviews on the Daisy M853 as far as accuracy is concerned. I don't know if it would suffice as a varmit killer or not. Here's a link to the CMP Sales on the "Used M853" about half way down the page. Sorry couldn't be of more help, I'm not an air rifle owner.

http://www.odcmp.com/Sales/airrifles.htm

rb765
08-16-2012, 2:45 PM
I used to have a crossman 760 that I loved. I used to take cottontail all the time, and even a jack rabbit, so rats should not be a problem. Now they are all plastic and I doubt that they are as powerful as they used to be. There are a ton of airguns going on CL all the time, so that would be a great place to start. As far as which models are best, you might try one of the airgun forums like www.gatewaytoairguns.com/

hermosabeach
08-16-2012, 3:00 PM
The type of pellet gun depend on the distance to the target.

For up close-15 yards and springer will work

Sheridan Blue streak is a great pellet gun. You can pump it 2 times up to 8.

If shooting rats, you need to be sure of the backstop.
Pellets riccichet less than copper coated steel BBs

Squirels will run when shot up close with a .22 short if you do not hit them in the head

So paint a picture of where and how you will use the pellet gun and you might get better feedback.

Coded-Dude
08-16-2012, 3:09 PM
we(my buddy has a pig farm) blast rats with a pump pellet gun, and while sometimes its fruitful(and always a blast), we often spot rats running around with multiple gun shot wounds. tough little buggers.....

CSACANNONEER
08-16-2012, 3:16 PM
Can you legally shoot where you want to shoot? If so, what kind of distances are you talking about. If you're shooting 10 yards or closer, you might want to find a shotgun airgun. Yes, they are out there. Gamo made a couple not long ago. If you're looking at shooting longer distances, a quality .177 should be good for rats to about 30 yards. If you get something that retails for $150ish or up, you'll be GTG.

ArmedJackal
08-16-2012, 4:41 PM
Thanks everyone.